Community Member

Default Completionist order of lives ?

I am a bit late on this, even though I have been playing on and off for several years I never really thought about doing completionist. Howver I realised it is a goal I want to go for so I can at least have a reason to play each class in the game. I usually gravitate to stealthy / ranged type characters, so this is the perfect way to get me out of my comfort zone.

So far I have alrady completed a Paladin life (went pure 20 using a the EllisDee37 vanguard build he posted back in 2016)
    I TRed into a bard, thinking here was there might be some gear cross over with regards to Cha items

for the rest of the order I am thinking after bard go as follows:

Barbarian
    Fighter
    Cleric
    Monk
    Ranger
    Rogue
    Artificer
    Favoured Soul
    Sorc
    Wizard
    Druid

thought process was get Melees done early doors but slip cleric in to the mix just to break things up a bit and then leave casters to the end as this hopefully allows me to pool gear into blocks i.e all Melee gear can effectively be hand me downs for the Melee lives and then start collecting caster gear

Is there any specific order that you should go that provides particular benefit. I did read that doing Pala and Bard before barb would provide some marginal benefits for the barb life as it is the hardest one to get through solo ?

Doing Artificer early on is useful simply because the +1 to UMD helps out a lot of builds. If you're largely planning on doing 1/per it doesn't really matter. I just did them in alphabetical order on my most recent character.

I'd also suggest doing a Bear druid melee build right after your other melee's as a very easy Druid leveling build.

I don't see Warlock on the list anywhere.

Have you considered doing this as Iconic characters so that you get both the Heroic and Iconic feat at the same time? It's faster to go from 15-30 than it is from 1-20, you can also pick up epic destiny XP if you need it to fill out your destinies, the iconic past lives are pretty good, and you also skip the ghastly low-level caster zone where you suck at everything.
    Last edited by PsychoBlonde; 05-17-2018 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by updeharris View Post
    ...I usually gravitate to stealthy / ranged type characters...
    What build(s) do you plan to use for your completionist? Without knowing that, no reliable answer can be given.

If you're using a Template (something like a 6/6/8X, or whatever), then get whatever helps that first. If you're going to use a diff build for every class, that's a tougher discussion, but still some rules apply.

For example - Barb is +10 Hit Points - not shabby, but less significant by upper Heroic Levels. In contrast, Paladin will always provide +10% HAmp - and that's money. Or, compare a Monk adding +1 to damage, vs. a Ranger adding +2 to Ranged Damage (plus some other benefits) - if you're going to lean toward a lot of ranged builds, Ranger is clearly superior to pursue first.

Figure out what will have the biggest impact, last the longest thru Level 20 (or 30, depending on your plan), and have the broadest reach across all your builds.

o http://ddowiki.com/page/Past_Life#Free_feats

I would do all the fun lives first,
    And save the dretch for when you're more experienced
    Vishantii (priest of the silver flame)
    Kil (heroic and epic completionist)

Sarlona, Silver Flame Jokers

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

I'd suggest doing Wizard first because 1) if you get used to playing a Wizard, all of the other blasting/DC casting classes get a lot easier because you have practice with a variety of spells and 2) that sweet, sweet spell penetration.

I did one of my main's Wizard lives as a Warforged, one as a Drow, and one as a Shadar Kai Iconic (Wizard 18/Rogue 2). I enjoyed all three lives and I'm enjoying the spell penetration boost now.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Guardian
    Hero
    Crown Clown

I personally hate switching gear too often, so i preffer to use a similar build for 3 lives in a row, well, actually the same exact build as I get all 3 lives PL at once, and I started with Iconics 1st to get 2 kinds of PL feats.

of course, the base class of Iconics is certainly not something I want to subjugate myself too, and I don;t like them much, instead 1 did:

3x warlock/deep gnome 19/1 to get +18 MRR
    3x artificer/shadar-kai 15/5 to get +3 UMD and ghostly essence Iconic Stance
    3x bard/Purple Dragon Knight 16/4 to get the speed action boost, needed a class that had synergy and bard seemed obvious, the bard PL was not the aim here though, the +9 PRR is nice
    3x Monk/Aasimar scourge 18/2 to get the +3 dmg.
    currently doing 3x Druid/Morninglord 18/2 to get the +6 to summons/hires.
    and will finish it with 3x Sorcerer/Bladeforged 18/2? cuz its the only one left, the fortification will be nice, but more importantly the +3 evocation for what is to come next.

after this I will focus solely on Racials, plowing through with warlock and my shiny new Evocation +3, another reason to do racials 1st is that if they add more Iconics in the meantime, I will still have undone classes I can use at that point to combo PLs, and will also grab any missing Epic PLs along the way here (I got a few doing Iconics, I don't recommend as you need to get to 30 twice each lives if you do so while Iconic, I just wanted sum Epic PL goodies to help for heroics later)

any remaining class PL I still have to do will be at the end, some builds will follow the class structure, but classes I dislike (wizard/cleric/fvs/fighter most likely, maybe not fvs depending of pass) will follow the great x-bow build 4arti/6rogue/10 whatever class, since all you need is 4 lvl or arti, 6 lvl of rogue, and you gonna dish out superb dmg no matter what those 10 other levels are. a perfect build to farm class PLs ya don't like, assuming ya like being ranged. and ya get to keep same gear.
    I come from the west. Through countries, peoples, and cities - to this place: STORMREACH.
    My duty: Guardian. To mend and defend. To defend my newfound friends, their hopes, and dreams. To defend them from their enemies.

I'd get Racial + Epic Completionist + extra Epic PLs done first. Then use the Iconic lives to get multiple stacks in the class PLs I want + whatever misc class PLs I can fit in. Then use individual class PLs to finish out completionist and all the ePLs.
    Things worthy of Standing Stone going EXTREME PREJUDICE™ on.:
    • NEW - Fix the flipping non-proficiency penalties for Bear and Wolf wildshapes!
    • Redo the Favor rewards so there is a reason to do max favor again.
    • Redoing the drop rates of tomes in generic and raid loot tables.
    • Task Lynnabel with updating the remaining legacy named loot to not suck.
    • Tiering the Runearms so that artificers aren’t screwed out of the advantages of Cannith Crafting in Epic levels on their signature item.
    • Finishing the enhancement tree passes (including racial PrE’s) before rolling out yet another DDOStore™ Enhancement Tree.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBlonde View Post
    Have you considered doing this as Iconic characters so that you get both the Heroic and Iconic feat at the same time? It's faster to go from 15-30 than it is from 1-20, you can also pick up epic destiny XP if you need it to fill out your destinies, the iconic past lives are pretty good, and you also skip the ghastly low-level caster zone where you suck at everything.
    Best advice in this thread imo.

Doing iconic lives will be hugely beneficial in the end.

Really depends on your proffered play style.

Things you want to grab
    Paladin life first (healing amp is best past life, and active gives you up to +3 damage for ranged/melee)

Wizard before any caster liffes, spell pen and +1 to all DC's is a must.

Then depending on your play style get whatever boosts your preferred things. Ranger is must have for ranged. Artificer is really nice. Sorc/cleric/fws are real nice depending on what kind of caster you play. Bard life is real nice before fighter life, so you can get extra damage from the song, that you can afford with the extra feats. Monk and warlock and fighter are great for playing melee.

Also remember that you can multiclass, or play classes in different ways. For example you can play Fighter, rogue, and monk entirely as ranged or melee, if you want. Cleric, FvS and warlock can be melee, or caster. Paladin and bard can be played as ranged, if you want to. Hell I did Int based ranged barabarian, that while not great, was good enough to do 1 to 20 on elite.

Also there are various 6/6/8 or 4/4/12 class splits that let you play same play style and class with minor adjustments, and you can design your stuff around that.

Also get the Iconic purple dragon knight clicky for speed boost. will shave a lot of time off your TR's (seriously, it makes you immune to fear effects, and gives you serious speed increase)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dragavon View Post
    Best advice in this thread imo.

Doing iconic lives will be hugely beneficial in the end.
    I agree, you don't want to end up doing iconics with all heroics already done.

For the fastest path on a brand new character: Get to 20 fast on an aoe character (blaster caster or a cleave build) grind out **12 epic pasts ** on normal and hard, do another heroic at 1.5 times exp, then hit iconics until you get heroic completionist done.

For enjoyment, I'd alternate. Heroic just has a much better variety of quests and some of the best content and stories. If looking for the goal of everything you could do 1-30 racial+epic followed by 15-30 iconic+heroic. This would get everything though spread out. If enjoying epics, run an extra epic, if not TR at 20, just be sure when you make an iconic you are up for epics.

**for a maxxed stance in each sphere as these bring huge power boosts to your heroic characters
    Divine: Brace is only real option
    Martial: Skills is the most versatile, but doublestrike is good for melee, fortification is useless past level 5
    Primal: colors is the most versatile, doubleshot if bow or gxbow user, fast healing is ok if never running reaper
    Arcane: enchant weapon is the most versatile, energy crits for blaster, cooldowns for DC caster

When expanding past 12 the first choices are divine pasts bringing the higher PRR from passives. Martial pasts are incredibly strong when you have them all, making you almost untouchable in heroics. Primal pasts bring more hp which is never bad, but is diminished by how easy it is to get hp in reaper trees.**

It's also worth focusing on a single iconic til you have 3 for the stance. None are great compared to the epic pasts, but a few are useful for niche builds. PDK brings a good passive.
    Last edited by Cantor; 05-18-2018 at 08:55 AM.

If you don't have a particular plan in mind I recommend looking towards universal benefits as part of your front loading...

Just some examples...
    Paladin is good because of the passive healing amplification
    Monk is good because of the passive melee damage
    Druid is good because of the passive Augment Summon ability - helpful not only with summon monsters, charms but also hirelings
    Wizard is good for access to a Universal DC Focus feat. Very helpful when playing a caster build that has multiple schools but not necessarily the feats to boost them all. The passive spell pen and even wand/scroll DCs can help during some lives

Of huge impact is what difficulty you plan to run at and how you play the game.

If you plan to run mid-skulls reaper upwards, you probably need to pick lives based on the benefits that they will give for subsequent lives, otherwise you might not be able to survive/contribute as well as you could.
    If you plan to run N/H/E, then how you play has a huge impact. If you are speeding through lives in order to get PL benefits then use iconics and take more lives in the class you want than any other class, and pick order (and iconic race) based on the PL benefits you want (PDK and Deep gnome PLs are probably most useful across all classes).
    If you plan to run N/H/E and low reaper, and are doing all quests for the 5k favour reward (+5 stat tome, with a +2 tome along the way), then picking based on equipment sharing and what you will have most fun with makes a lot of sense.
    My Kensei Fighter and Tempest Ranger are using the same equipment, other than weapons; A lot of my Bard equipment was useful on my Warlock etc
    Clerics get their choice of deity/favoured weapon, so carrying on playstyle from pure melee classes into Cleric (with same weapons and armour) can work well if you choose the right options.

Regarding your statement:
    I did read that doing Pala and Bard before barb would provide some marginal benefits for the barb life as it is the hardest one to get through solo ?
    I know a number of people who have done Barbarian as their first or second lives and had no problems at all. Barbarians get huge damage and have a huge HP count and have enhancements that assist with healing.

In terms of helping with running future lives, if you are going for the 5k favour rewards and are running a class that you enjoy, ETR when you get to 30, then run 20-30 again as many times as you like, gaining the benefits you want from different spheres as you run the quests to get the favour. Skipping quests during heroic levelling that have Epic versions and leaving level 18 & 19 quests to run on HE when you are 20 means you have more variety of quests available for Epic runs, saving the lives from becoming too boring.
    Bettayne Brah'dukcc, Cleric of Lathander
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life

Community Member

currently running on hard for bravery bonus at that level as i don't feel I am experienced enough to take epic or reaper yet, plus I don't think my character would cut it at those levels just yet. I am about to finish the bard life and then move on to barbarian. I was thinking maybe take the Barbarina to 30 and start unlocking some epic destinies. Although I have played this game on and off for several years this is the first time I have ever taken a character to 20 and TRed, so the epic destinies and twists of fate are all a bit confusing and I am not sure when I should start looking at that ? I redd the ddowiki on epic destinies and I am still not sure I really get how it works

Community Member

I'm also working on heroic completionist and I've noticed a few things about casters that you may want to swap up the order on. This is assuming you want to do DC casting. You can group all those lives together as a lot of the gear you use will overlap on multiple lives. You can do them at any time, but I think this is the best order for caster lives.

1. Wizard - PL wizard +1 all spell DCs; passive +2 spell pen
    2. Favored Soul - passive +1 spell pen
    3. Sorcerer - passive +1 Evocation DC
    4. Cleric - passive +1 conjuration dc - uses Evocation DC for Implosion which is one of their best spells in my opinion.
    5. Warlock - uses conjuration dc for evards, uses evocation dc for eldritch blast

Epic Destinies are confusing if you just read about them on the wiki. They are easy to learn once you start using them. I'm sure many players have been in the same boat as you.

Basically when you hit level 20 you talk to the epic trainer and you unlock 1 destiny.
    While that destiny is active, all xp you earn levels that destiny up.
    When you get level 3 in that destiny, you can change destinies to one of the other 2 destinies in that sphere, or continue to level the same destiny.
    When you max out a destiny, you should move on and start leveling another destiny.
    Some of the destines in each sphere are connected to a destiny in another sphere. By leveling up these destinies you can move to a new sphere.
    For instance you are a bard now so if you start in the Fatesinger Destiny/Arcane Sphere, you can level Fatesinger up to 3 and change to Magister or Draconic. Or, you can level Fatesinger up to 5 and move to Shadowdancer in the Martial sphere.

I'm not sure if that makes any more sense than the wiki, but don't stress. You don't lose any levels in destines and you can reset your twists of fate for free anytime (at the trainer). Basically the worst thing you can do, is not pick a destiny when you start playing epic content. The 2nd worst thing you could do is pick 1 destiny and never change it after you have maxed it out.
    Last edited by Fivetigers33; 05-25-2018 at 01:12 PM.
    Stratis on Khyber

Want to know my build?
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...il-of-the-Bard

Community Member

Unhappy

So i finished Bard, TRed and then when creating the next life picked Paladin again by mistake d'oh...........

I am guessing I would have to wait for the timer to expire before I can undo that with a lesser heart ? or maybe just grind out another vanguard paladin to 20 and maybe do some epic levels too ? I must admit I did like playing the paladin much better than bard.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by updeharris View Post
    So i finished Bard, TRed and then when creating the next life picked Paladin again by mistake d'oh...........

I am guessing I would have to wait for the timer to expire before I can undo that with a lesser heart ? or maybe just grind out another vanguard paladin to 20 and maybe do some epic levels too ? I must admit I did like playing the paladin much better than bard.
    An additional paladin life isn't going to hurt you. More healing amplification is never a bad thing.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by Cantor View Post

Divine: Brace is only real option
    Martial: Skills is the most versatile, but doublestrike is good for melee, fortification is useless past level 5
    Primal: colors is the most versatile, doubleshot if bow or gxbow user, fast healing is ok if never running reaper
    Arcane: enchant weapon is the most versatile, energy crits for blaster, cooldowns for DC caster

When expanding past 12 the first choices are divine pasts bringing the higher PRR from passives. Martial pasts are incredibly strong when you have them all, making you almost untouchable in heroics. Primal pasts bring more hp which is never bad, but is diminished by how easy it is to get hp in reaper trees.**

It's also worth focusing on a single iconic til you have 3 for the stance. None are great compared to the epic pasts, but a few are useful for niche builds. PDK brings a good passive.
    Divine-Power Over Life and Death is pretty good, +10 Positive spell power per stack is nothing to sneeze at, and a lot of classes benefit from it, so unless you play warforged it's great.
    Martial- I agree on this one.
    Primal- Colors can get you killed, and dobleshot is just okay even for archery builds (seriously dobleshot does not proc properly for me ever since they "fixed" repeaters and manyshot). Nothing great all around
    Arcane-Enchant weapons is great, and energy crits are also great. Arcane Alacrity is pretty meh, there are like 2 or 3 spells where anything but maxed out cool down reduction gets you more than half a second of faster casting. Even worse on Sorc.

Community Member SpartanKiller13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wh070aa View Post
    Divine-Power Over Life and Death is pretty good, +10 Positive spell power per stack is nothing to sneeze at, and a lot of classes benefit from it, so unless you play warforged it's great.
    Martial- I agree on this one.
    Primal- Colors can get you killed, and dobleshot is just okay even for archery builds (seriously dobleshot does not proc properly for me ever since they "fixed" repeaters and manyshot). Nothing great all around
    Arcane-Enchant weapons is great, and energy crits are also great. Arcane Alacrity is pretty meh, there are like 2 or 3 spells where anything but maxed out cool down reduction gets you more than half a second of faster casting. Even worse on Sorc.
    Colors can hurt you? I grabbed Fast Healing (before Reaper) and haven't done a Primal life since, but I do quite enjoy the random procs to top me off sometimes.

As for Arcane, I feel like CDR could be useful for instakill builds? Something like Power Word:Kill which has a 210 second cooldown (180 for Sorcs) you'd shave a respectable amount off? Otherwise I agree. Enchant Weapons even gives a tiny bit of spellpower assuming you're using a caster stick (Implement Bonus scales by enhancement bonus of weapon, so up to +9 from PLs).
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Quote Originally Posted by zehnvhex View Post
    When it comes right down to it, a Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorcerer. You give up some of the damage and self sustain from being a Sorc for the advantage of being able to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.

Community Member

3xArti (UMD)
    1xGnome (UMD)
    Rest