Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Wizard low level is torture

Cast 7 times for OOM
    Die one hit to almost anything on elite
    Deal less damage than a bog standard repeater with +1 bolts
    Summons that can't damage and can't take hits
    Everything saves despite stats

I wish I never TR'ed as this POS class lol. Please add Ottos boxes to DDO store and save me! or someone please suggest something to help me get through this ****.

ps please remove the increased xp needed after each TR x) it was fine years ago but now with all the classses and races its way too much!

Community Member

Master's Touch and a Great Axe until you get fireball.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alled78 View Post
    Why should i use all my neural cells when i can go inqui and go pew pew pew ???

Bounty Hunter

the most important wizard spell at level 1 is master's touch. I always dual wield at low levels until I get magic missle and chain missle sla.

Reaper is ******** bs for casters low level with no passes

Sev knew his game would know that how the f u deal w reapers w no dps or spells or slas

Go monk or big axe just cuz
    Damonz Cannith

As a wizard in low levels there are different approaches.

There are those of us that are more then willing to help someone through these to help you get more enjoyable. Keep in mind the rant above, might feel good but it does nothing more then cry in the wilderness your frustration at attempting something new.

Now that being said there are some approaches to help...

First, summons do not have the control to make them consistently helpful to your cause. This is a flaw with the summon system, something I think adding a UI like the Hireling could help make better. Summons are best from scrolls since they are just as effective, and best used as a distraction. There are some exceptions to this but most of those involve more commitment to this cause.

Second, one of the most powerful ways to reduce spell point use is to not use METAMAGIC on everything you cast. Early levels you get more out of gearing spell power and DC boosts then you can get from constantly using MAX/EMP everything

Third, investment in wand and scroll mastery is powerful at early levels, not so you can turn to wands and scrolls when you are out of spell points but to use as supplemental casting between memorized spells. Additionally, you have access to scrolls 2 levels before you can cast them from memory. This is an often overlooked advantage as you have access to defensive spells like blur and displacement early on. 30 Seconds is a lot of time to inflict damage and at low levels very few fights go much longer.

Another approach is to utilize more a melee or range damage approach early on. Something that is not obvious unless you do some research is that the spell Master's Touch does not require a Arcane Spell Failure. What this means is you can wear more protective gear. This approach works out even better if you have access to the Harper Enhancement Tree and thus can switch back to a less melee centric approach later on.

So if you would like help making this experience more enjoyable I recommend taking some time to outline you pain points and ask if there is a way to make it better.

Take heavy repeater proficiency at lvl 1, get a ml 1-3 vorpal, profit, swap it out at 5 once you have fireball and your first gear stop.
    * You get 1 free feat swap per life.

Or just use masters touch etc.

Additionally you shouldn't be running oom even at lvl 1 with casting 7 spells.

ps while i agree the tr grind is crappy for the game, you are asking for 50% removal to lvl 20 xp heroic cap, you'd be better off asking for things like rebalancing pl benefits to be front loaded instead of backloaded
    Officer of Renowned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    A new harder difficulty is likely to just be that: harder, without giving commensurate power...Ideally, at the very hardest edge of difficulty, we would not know how long it would take until all quests are completed on that difficulty.

Community Member

Default Hirelings

Take Augment Summoning (swap it later with Lockania) and buy the WF Barb Hireling....

He can solo elite while you watch and heal him via repair light damage....plow Korthos Elite!!!!

You can do this all thru Korthos and Harbor np...

Have fun

Quote Originally Posted by ClanBastage View Post
    Take Augment Summoning (swap it later with Lockania) and buy the WF Barb Hireling....

He can solo elite while you watch and heal him via repair light damage....plow Korthos Elite!!!!

You can do this all thru Korthos and Harbor np...

Have fun
    That does sound fun x)

Quote Originally Posted by Morroiel View Post
    ps while i agree the tr grind is crappy for the game, you are asking for 50% removal to lvl 20 xp heroic cap, you'd be better off asking for things like rebalancing pl benefits to be front loaded instead of backloaded
    As a long-time casual player, I agree with the OP that the XP requirements for 2x TR are a bit much. It always feels like it takes so long to level up. That's not just me saying it. I know other casual players that I play with that agree. IMHO the 1X TR XP curve seems like a sweet spot for me as leveling up first life goes by too fast. Having said that, I realize that people level up in no time at all, so I could see the argument against changing this, but that's how I feel about it.

To the OP, I feel your pain. I've tried leveling up a Wizard and it is difficult at low levels. I'd recommend finding a group to help out. Cast buffs on people, help out where you can, pike, etc. Another option already mentioned is to get a great axe and use Master's Touch to become proficient, and then just use your spells for buffs.
    The best part of the 10th Anniversary of DDO...the description on the Oatmeal Raisin Kookie,
    "From a distance you thought this was a chocolate chip kookie. Now you're sad."

Take heavy repeater proficiency at lvl 1, get a ml 1-3 vorpal, profit, swap it out at 5 once you have fireball and your first gear stop.
    Exotic Weapon Proficiency requires BAB 1.

At the risk of derailing this thread a little, I am curious if repeater vorpal xbows still drop with ML below about 10? I have been looking for one for several months over the course of several lives and I have yet to find any repeater vorpal with low ML. Non-repeating vorpal xbows seem to be available as early as ML2, but not repeaters.

Since I have seen this advice on multiple occasions, I assume that they did drop at some point. Just curious if they still do...

Community Member

Master's Touch + GreatAxe with a little bit of burning hands for extra aoe burst will carry you until fireball/acid blast, which should be enough to clear everything in heroics.

Personally I think low level caster druid is worse than low level wizard, you have no proper aoe to speak of until icestorm, play wolf spec until you get at least call lightning and icestorm is the equivalent of the greataxe wizard.
    Last edited by FlavoredSoul; 05-01-2018 at 09:47 PM.

Bounty Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Torkzed View Post
    At the risk of derailing this thread a little, I am curious if repeater vorpal xbows still drop with ML below about 10? I have been looking for one for several months over the course of several lives and I have yet to find any repeater vorpal with low ML. Non-repeating vorpal xbows seem to be available as early as ML2, but not repeaters.

Since I have seen this advice on multiple occasions, I assume that they did drop at some point. Just curious if they still do...
    the best place to get level 2-4 vorpal repeaters is end rewards in the harbor as an artificer. If you aren't an artificer you won't see many repeaters. I've only ever seen level 1 vorpal repeater drop as reward for finding meridia with mostly artificer levels and class-specific rewards opted in.

The dream drop is vorpal keen low level repeater. I have a few of those.

Pure wizard is probably the hardest TR from level 1-5 if you're going in blind, but if you do a little bit of prep it's easy. Get a hotbar that is wands only (from guild vendors, they don't break): Shield, Mage Armor, Fox's Cunning, Bull's Strength, Bear's Endurance, Owl's Wisdom, Resist Energy, Roderic's Wand. Grab a stack of Scrolls of Invisibility as well. Grab a Cleric Hireling (until Vampire form). Take Maximize/Empower.

Level 1: First enhancement point goes to Archmage Magic Missile SLA. Map it to "e" or something and cast it whenever it isn't on cool down. The next three go to Harper Agent I and Strategic Combat. Starter Greataxe + Master's Touch is fine.

Two pieces of gear will make life easier and are incredibly easy to farm. The first is Robes of Duality (from Catacombs -- ML2, BtA) which add 2 to your caster level for all level one spells, which means Niac's Cold Ray base damage at level 2 goes from 2d5+10 to 4d5+20 (in other words, with a little bit of potency/glaciation, it's Finger of Death for Korthos and Harbor Elite). Note: If you plan to use these beyond level 3-4, you'll need to Adamantine Ritual them, but they stay BTA. Second is actually a set of possible weapons: Nicked Greatsword, Nicked Quarterstaff, or Nicked Scimitar + Nicked Orb. Why these? GS and QS add +3 deadly and +2d6 force, and thanks to Harper's you'll almost always hit. If you don't have Harper's tree unlocked, Scimitar gives you a +5 accuracy and 2d6 acid and the orb is decent too. All level 2, all BtA, all from an easy to beat chain. Alternatively, get an ML 1 vorpal and just use that -- Although IMO even on elite HP is so low that Nicked is a better option.

Low level spells: Master's Touch and Niac's lv 1, Lesser Death Aura/Knock/Web level 2, Haste/Displacement level 3. Going from 1-6 can be a bit of a grind. Bring a cleric/paladin/FvS hireling and put points into Skeletal Knight if you want, with Lesser Death Aura and some enhancement points he and the hireling can handle pretty much anything on elite or below. Around 6 shift to Pale Master. Keep Magic Missile SLA (forever), max out your nullification/Neg Healing Amp, use a false life item, con item, and int item, and stay in Vampire form with lesser death aura and buffs on. At 7 you get Death Aura (and Dimension Door). Congratulations -- you're immortal to everything but traps! And you can still murder things with nicked weapons/Carnifex for a while if you want, while dealing negative levels and blasting maximized empowered free Magic Missiles.
    Last edited by xveganrox; 05-01-2018 at 10:25 PM.

I want to thank everyone who gave such useful advice =) You guys are the best!

Like most have said master touch + great axe ... I will add sonic blast, web & 1 ap for eldritch knight cleave for aoe. Then as they can be afforded Harper int to hit & dam till .. well i use acid blast with web cause its better.
    Mechanics - To Hit/Dam mods

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Exotic Weapon Proficiency requires BAB 1.
    You are correct sir, +1. I'm used to taking either a barb level for ms (in old days) or an arti level for trap xp (what i tend to do nowadays). My mistake, my other points still stand.
    Officer of Renowned
    A new harder difficulty is likely to just be that: harder, without giving commensurate power...Ideally, at the very hardest edge of difficulty, we would not know how long it would take until all quests are completed on that difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by Torkzed View Post

What slarden said. I think they drop less frequently than they used to though.
    Officer of Renowned

Just start taking Warlock levels instead.

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    the most important wizard spell at level 1 is master's touch. I always dual wield at low levels until I get magic missle and chain missle sla.
    Color Spray is the best level 1 Wizard spell. Unfortunately only Gnomes get it.

Unfortunately Wizards cant take Repeater Xbow feat till level 3 due to BaB or that would have been the best option. But if only doing heroic life its worth considering taking 1 or 2 levels or Arti.
    Last edited by HuneyMunster; 05-02-2018 at 05:04 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast