Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Heph's Advanced Guide to Artificers - Attention all Intermediate Tinkers & Up!

Good day everyone!

A glorious day to create an Artificer, is it not? Why, what's that you say, you're not sure where to start!? You've heard Artificers are no good? Poppycock! The Artificer is the jewel of the Eberron Campaign setting!
    Now let's help you make that Artificer now, shall we?

INTRODUCING HEPH'S ADVANCED GUIDE TO ARTIFICERS

With the introduction of U38 and the 3rd enhancement tree, Renegade Mastermaker, I felt it was high time for a guide to the class! Most everyone has some idea to play a Fighter, those interested in monks have plenty of material to get started with a monk, etc - but support classes seldom get such love. The Artificer class is a wonderfully fun and powerful support class that can make its way even into the toughest of Reaper content if built right! For these reasons and more I'd like to publish this guide I've made on the Artificer subforum, to give any and everyone supplemental material to look through and mull over! At the very least, perhaps you'll find my humor entertaining :P

The Guide is in a PDF form! It's rather comprehensive and I find it easier to keep updated that way than to deal with forum-type, but please, leave your comments, responses, and insight here! Feel free to download if you'd like, the guide is full of links, as well as a responsive table of contents on the downloaded version. Let me know what you found helpful, what parts I could add more too, if I got anything wrong, etc! This isn't me claiming to be THE EXPERT on Artificer - but I've played this class on and off and on and on again since it's debut yearrrrs ago! I hope at the very least you (re)discover the Artificer class of DDO in that classic D&D handbook feel!

ENJOY! And don't forget to charge that Rune Arm!~

>>>LINK TO HEPH'S PDF GUIDE HERE<<<

A full guide too much info for ya? Need a simple "for starters" build? I gottca!

>>>LINK TO HEPH'S NEWBIE FRIENDLY ARBLASTER BUILD<<<

Still reading? What's that, you'd like to see what build I run? Here ya go!

>>>LINK TO HEPH'S PERSONAL MELEE BUILD<<<
    Last edited by Hephaestas; 08-21-2018 at 09:29 AM.
    Streamer - Leader of Between Hammer n' Anvil - Ghallandian
    ~~~ The Great Forge Experiment ~~~
    Hephaestas • Haidies • Artemaes • Bladebarri
    «««- Visit Heph's Forge on twitch! -»»»

Very nice guide.

+1
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. - Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Arkat View Post
    Very nice guide.

+1
    Thanks Arkat! I'm glad you got a chance to look at it!

Community Member

I did notice that you said the WF Memories of the Last War were Action Boosts, but they're passives

Otherwise nice thorough treatment

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    I did notice that you said the WF Memories of the Last War were Action Boosts, but they're passives

Otherwise nice thorough treatment
    You're absolutely right, this is incredible! Thank you very much for bringing this to my attention - I'll update the file asap

If this was in the guide, I must've missed it:
    Did you know that Artificers get a feat called "Artificer Rune Arm Use" that you can drag into your hotbar and toggle on, and then your rune arm will automatically charge up?

Quote Originally Posted by Drecas View Post
    If this was in the guide, I must've missed it:
    Did you know that Artificers get a feat called "Artificer Rune Arm Use" that you can drag into your hotbar and toggle on, and then your rune arm will automatically charge up?
    Personally I did, but it may very well be worth noting! Such a thing might have seemed obvious to me, I'll consider a place to add that!

I read about half of the guide and it is excellent for new and intermediate Artificer players.

I spoke with Heph in discord about one omission I thought should be included and that is a Vistani option for melee. Tier V Mastermaker, Harper for Know the Angles, and Vistani for crit range/multiplier, 10% doublestrike, haste boost, some prr/mrr, 20 melee power, and 20% doublestrike active ability. I find glancing blows with Dwarven Axe or B. Sword when using SWF and points in BE to be less powerful over all. Mainly because the best bonuses in BE are in tier V and capstone locking out getting them in Mastermaker. Just an option to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyfiel View Post
    I read about half of the guide and it is excellent for new and intermediate Artificer players.
    Tier V Mastermaker, Harper for Know the Angles, and Vistani for crit range/multiplier, 10% doublestrike, haste boost, some prr/mrr, 20 melee power, and 20% doublestrike active ability. I find glancing blows with Dwarven Axe or B. Sword when using SWF and points in BE to be less powerful over all. Mainly because the best bonuses in BE are in tier V and capstone locking out getting them in Mastermaker. Just an option to consider.
    You do raise a good point with Mastermaker locking out the arguably best Tier5's for DPS on the tinkerer class. What you're speaking of though is more of a "specific build" while this guide is supposed to give players the tools they need to hammer and chisel their own build, just to reiterate why I may have left that out. That's indeed a very viable build one could make, and I would suggest, Xyfiel, that perhaps you flesh this out and post such a build in its own thread? I'd be interested to see how it might affect feat selection on a pure Artificer, and the nitty gritty of such a build. I have not had the pleasure of toying with VKF much yet despite owning it from the expansion.

My only real issue with Arty & VKF is that knives don't really synergize with Arty. However, most of the weapon synergies are in Battle Engineer, and if you're not going that route... Yes I'd be curious to hear more about this build. Write up a post and let me know so I can take a better look ^^

Something worth noting about the starter guide.

It says to take the Rapid Shot feat at level 1, but that feat requires Point Blank Shot, which you've got at level 3.

This isn't a big deal at all, just need to switch Rapid Shot and Point Blank Shot on the list, but it might be worth correcting for other new players.

Thanks for these wonderful guides I've always loved the concept of Artificer but have always had trouble getting into them for some reason. Definitely giving it another try now.
    The guy who likes to experience every class. Except Fighter >:[ I don't like you Fighter.
    Hey Devs! Let's give Warpriests and Eldritch Knights some loving, kay? :<

couple of things

first when you talk about humans you talk about the lack of stat bonus. humans can get a bonus from the tree. not a huge deal, just as you talk about how gnomes/drow get up to +4 int

second, no elf/halfling love? they give a bonus to sneak attack range or damage.

third and yes im aware that i only said 2!, consider the other races. aasamir adds healing amp, helf adds the dilante/amp, horc adds helpless damage, dragonborn adds a breath weapon for a caster arti. just saying
    main toons: Cerrsi(silly caster/xbow) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly melee)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
    couple of things

first when you talk about humans you talk about the lack of stat bonus. humans can get a bonus from the tree. not a huge deal, just as you talk about how gnomes/drow get up to +4 int

second, no elf/halfling love? they give a bonus to sneak attack range or damage.

third and yes im aware that i only said 2!, consider the other races. aasamir adds healing amp, helf adds the dilante/amp, horc adds helpless damage, dragonborn adds a breath weapon for a caster arti. just saying
    So I totally agree; I'd love to add in the other races - but I figured the more I added, and the less that were left out - I'd have to add all of em at that point lol. As you've mentioned, there are pros to other races I haven't mentioned as well. I'm not saying *don't go those races* it was more of a "which races blend best with the class" bit.

That said, again I'd love to write up a brief on every race and what it gives to the class - it just came down to time haha. Wanted this out with U38. I'll take your comments into future consideration though! Having all the races in there is certainly something I'd like to do at some point.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Zachski View Post
    Something worth noting about the starter guide.

It says to take the Rapid Shot feat at level 1, but that feat requires Point Blank Shot, which you've got at level 3.

This isn't a big deal at all, just need to switch Rapid Shot and Point Blank Shot on the list, but it might be worth correcting for other new players.

Thanks for these wonderful guides I've always loved the concept of Artificer but have always had trouble getting into them for some reason. Definitely giving it another try now.
    It's so funny because I just did a ranged life last life and I took those two feats in the order you mentioned. Not sure how my memory slipped there! Thanks for the catch. Edited and fixed. I'd also like to review the enhancements with the 3rd tree now as well, it just came out and it wasn't in this newbie guide! I'm playing around with mastermaker heavily at the moment, and I will post changes for it soon(tm)!

Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestas View Post
    It's so funny because I just did a ranged life last life and I took those two feats in the order you mentioned. Not sure how my memory slipped there! Thanks for the catch. Edited and fixed. I'd also like to review the enhancements with the 3rd tree now as well, it just came out and it wasn't in this newbie guide! I'm playing around with mastermaker heavily at the moment, and I will post changes for it soon(tm)!
    Awesome!

I'm actually really enjoying this - I keep trying to play a Caster Artificer, but really, playing a ranged one is probably easier to start with.

If I can, miracle of miracles, manage to get to level 20, I think I'll probably make my next life a melee artificer one - and then go for a caster artificer on my third life.
    The guy who likes to experience every class. Except Fighter >:[ I don't like you Fighter.
    Hey Devs! Let's give Warpriests and Eldritch Knights some loving, kay? :<

Quote Originally Posted by Zachski View Post
    I'm actually really enjoying this

<snip>

If I can, miracle of miracles, manage to get to level 20, I think I'll probably make my next life a melee artificer one - and then go for a caster artificer on my third life.
    A good arcaneotechnication is extremely strong, except of course unless you... meet a lich or something, heh. I haven't played an AT for quite some time, so I'm out of touch with how they would play in current content or reaper, but I'd imagine it's around the level of how sorcerers are performing right now. Which is... very hit or miss.

I've been playing a 15/4/1 Pali/art/wiz for the racial I started last week and it's definitely less damage, but its more damage than your average tank build, and just about as survivable. I'm pretty curious to try pure Arti melee after this one.

Default Guide Has Been Updated to Include Suggestions/Fix Errors

Corrected/Added:

- Talk on Warforged Tree and Memories of the Last War Enhancement
    - Better insight on Battlefist and it's importance for a Melee Artificer and CC usage
    - Better page layout for 'Ranged, Melee, and Caster' Subcategories

Known Desired Features Not-Yet-Added:

- Discussion on Half Orc/Elf
    - Discussion on Aasimar
    - Discussion on Halfling
    - Discussion on Dragonborn

-----------------------------------
    Thanks to everyone's feedback! You all are truly helping me make this to be one heckofa guide!
    Last edited by Hephaestas; 05-07-2018 at 03:05 PM.

Community Member

Your Rune Arm section really needs to talk up the best rune arm shot: Lightning Storm. They are by far the most powerful rune arm shot, being the only multi-hit shot that can also hit in an AoE. It can be a bit fiddly to get the AoE to work (jumping up and firing straight down in the middle of a crowd tends to work best), but the damage dealt by a full blast is effectively a free energy burst with no cast time. And since it's electric, you can also pump up the damage even higher by casting Lightning Motes.

The Lightning Storm rune arms are: Toven's Hammer, Heroic/Legendary Arc Welder (long range) and St. Murray's Fire. If you've got one of these and you aren't fighting something immune to electricity, you should be using it.

Good guide Heph!

I've been playing Arties since my second year (in year 7 or 8 now) and I still learned some things. Thanks!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Happy member of The Fellowship
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by gwonbush View Post
    Your Rune Arm section really needs to talk up the best rune arm shot: Lightning Storm. They are by far the most powerful rune arm shot, being the only multi-hit shot that can also hit in an AoE. It can be a bit fiddly to get the AoE to work (jumping up and firing straight down in the middle of a crowd tends to work best), but the damage dealt by a full blast is effectively a free energy burst with no cast time. And since it's electric, you can also pump up the damage even higher by casting Lightning Motes.

The Lightning Storm rune arms are: Toven's Hammer, Heroic/Legendary Arc Welder (long range) and St. Murray's Fire. If you've got one of these and you aren't fighting something immune to electricity, you should be using it.
    Point taken. I'll make an effort to clarify that in the Rune Arm section. Thanks for the insight.

Quote Originally Posted by yoderc View Post
    Good guide Heph!

I've been playing Arties since my second year (in year 7 or 8 now) and I still learned some things. Thanks!
    I'm glad you found it useful!

Cool UPDATE: Heph's Personal Melee Build Added to OP

Hey guys, hope everyone's having fun with DDO and their awesome tinkerer friends, I've had a lot of requests for what build I run for melee/what build is my main, and soooo... the OP now has my personal melee build added! Check it out!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast