Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Community Member

Default raid loot in the store

Why not just put the raid loot in the store directly? If people want them, should they not be able to just buy the raid loot directly from the DDO Store?

the above is a question asked by HungarianRhapsody in the thread on the new gold roll elixir, i thought
    that even though it wasnt directed at me it was a good question and one that should be answered.

i actually do think that raid items should be sold in the store, the tech is there for it with the raiders box.
    buy a raiders box for say 5000 tp. sorted, job done. from my understanding more people dont run raids
    by quite a margin to those that do, so would it not be a good idea to let those that cant run raids due to
    time constraints, looking after family, soloists etc etc (lots of reasons im sure) have a chance at getting a nice peice
    of loot. this wouldnt effect the raiding community at all really as these players dont already run raids. it would
    be good for the overall picture of the game as im always being told inclusion and thinking of others is good.
    i dont know maybe keep it so only one box per raid can be sold to each character.

what are your thoughts on the above?.

your friend sil

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silinteresting View Post
    Why not just put the raid loot in the store directly? If people want them, should they not be able to just buy the raid loot directly from the DDO Store?
    For clarity, I was being sarcastic and I do not think that raid loot should be sold in the DDO store. I think that Pay-to-Win is a Bad Thing(tm) and should not be encouraged.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not but it's a terrible idea as it would completely undermine the whole point of running raids in the first place. Doing this would be going way too far in terms of pay to win.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    For clarity, I was being sarcastic and I do not think that raid loot should be sold in the DDO store. I think that Pay-to-Win is a Bad Thing(tm) and should not be encouraged.
    i know you where being sarcastic but i do actually think its a good question hence this post,

your friend sil

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by axel15810 View Post
    I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not but it's a terrible idea as it would completely undermine the whole point of running raids in the first place. Doing this would be going way too far in terms of pay to win.
    no im not being sarcastic at all, look these people dont run raids fullstop, the raiders box is already coded
    so that does not have to be done so all ssg would have to do is put a peice of code in where if that account
    has not run a raid in a 6 month period there then allowed to buy a box from the raid of there choice.

like i said these people do not run raids at all so it does not effect the people who want to raid and it makes
    ssg a pile of cash then its a win win for all is it not?.

your friend sil

no im not being sarcastic at all, look these people dont run raids fullstop, the raiders box is already coded
    so that does not have to be done so all ssg would have to do is put a peice of code in where if that account
    has not run a raid in a 6 month period there then allowed to buy a box from the raid of there choice.

like i said these people do not run raids at all so it does not effect the people who want to raid and it makes

your friend sil
    I have been back for about 4-5 months after a long break and have done a grand total of one raid in that time (ADQ with two buddies). I do not see how this idea is any different from Otto box exp stones. My sporadic play times combined with a desire to play the game solo or in small groups and when you add in the hassle factor of organizing and waiting on a raid group means that I will most likely not run any raids going forward unless they can be short manned. This is an interesting idea quite frankly, as there are pieces of raid gear I would be interested in acquiring but its just not worth dealing with the hassle for me at this time. In addition, since I am playing a bit of catch up on past lives and I am frequently not flagged for raids I would want to run on my "main".

your friend sil
    In a perfect world where only people who would never run the raid are willing to spend 5000 points to get the item? Then, yeah, it makes sense.

The problem is that it WOULD be used by players who would otherwise run raids. It would, thus, take players away from the raiding scene and shorten the lifespan of the raids. If Raid Bypass Timers have taught us anything, it is that players WILL spend money to sidestep grind or speed up grind. How much is 20 Raid Bypass Timers? 3000 points? And you actually have to run the raid and complete? 5000 to just get the item would be a steal.

People ask why there is no end game. Raid Bypass Timers are one of the principal culprits. Anything like this shortens the lifespan of the content and reduces the number of runs of the raid people do.

It is basically a short term gain, long term loss for the community and the game.
    Asheras - Velania - Renvar - Ventarya - Officer in Loreseekers and Officer of Lava Divers - Khyber

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Renvar View Post
    In a perfect world where only people who would never run the raid are willing to spend 5000 points to get the item? Then, yeah, it makes sense.

The problem is that it WOULD be used by players who would otherwise run raids. It would, thus, take players away from the raiding scene and shorten the lifespan of the raids. If Raid Bypass Timers have taught us anything, it is that players WILL spend money to sidestep grind or speed up grind. How much is 20 Raid Bypass Timers? 3000 points? And you actually have to run the raid and complete? 5000 to just get the item would be a steal.

People ask why there is no end game. Raid Bypass Timers are one of the principal culprits. Anything like this shortens the lifespan of the content and reduces the number of runs of the raid people do.

It is basically a short term gain, long term loss for the community and the game.
    how would it be used by players who raid if the criteria for getting a box is that you must
    not of raided for the last 6 months?. thus it does not take anything away from the raiding
    scene so your point about it being abused by people who raid is invalid.

your friend sil

Barbarbarian

Oh hey look the game is becoming more pay to win. Say you have a 25% chance to pull loot from strahd or Baba. You now have a 28.75% chance if the bonus is multiplicative, or a 40% chance if it's additive.
    You can run level cap quests for epic xp, but you can't run non-level cap quests for RXP when you're capped.
    r10 @ 30 stuff, sorc, monk,Ghallanda

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

your friend sil
    It would incentivize people to not play the game. That is a really bad idea for many reasons. And also, SSG can't make money off people if they aren't playing the game.

And it would affect people who run raids. It would reduce the number of people they can run with, since some people would who would have run raids before would now sit out of raids so they qualify for buying it later. It also makes raid loot less special, reducing the value of the perceived reward they get for their efforts. People grind loot in DDO to get the desirable shinies. It would effectively make the loot less shiny, metaphorically.

how would it be used by players who raid if the criteria for getting a box is that you must
    not of raided for the last 6 months?. thus it does not take anything away from the raiding
    scene so your point about it being abused by people who raid is invalid.

your friend sil
    Are we tracking when the last time they ran a raid was? Is that stepped into the raid or completed? Is that any raid, or just the raid for which the reward box provides items? Is this across characters or accounts? The implementation of a store item being available only based on raiding history. Does that Tech even exist?

I'd say its a hard pass. The more restrictions you want to put on it and programming hoops you have to jump through, the smaller the target audience gets and the greater the development cost to bring the item to market. That doesn't sound like a recipe for profitability.

Juice isn't worth the squeeze.
    Asheras - Velania - Renvar - Ventarya - Officer in Loreseekers and Officer of Lava Divers - Khyber

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by axel15810 View Post
    It would incentivize people to not play the game. That is a really bad idea for many reasons. And also, SSG can't make money off people if they aren't playing the game.

And it would affect people who run raids. It would reduce the number of people they can run with, since some people would who would have run raids before would now sit out of raids so they qualify for buying it later. It also makes raid loot less special, reducing the value of the perceived reward they get for their efforts. People grind loot in DDO to get the desirable shinies. It would effectively make the loot less shiny, metaphorically.
    sorry but i dont see how it would incentivize people to not play the game. these people it is aimed
    at already dont run raids if these people dont run raids it has no effect on the people who run raids
    hence it does not drop the ammount of people the raiders can run raids with.

ah! so you think that somehow this will make raids less special to the people who run them by making
    the raid loot less special. isnt that a egotistical thing and has nothing to do with the raid or the loot there
    in really but the mental state of the person running the raid if that person thinks like this.

your friend sil

the above is a question asked by HungarianRhapsody in the thread on the new gold roll elixir, i thought
    that even though it wasnt directed at me it was a good question and one that should be answered.

i actually do think that raid items should be sold in the store, the tech is there for it with the raiders box.
    buy a raiders box for say 5000 tp. sorted, job done. from my understanding more people dont run raids
    by quite a margin to those that do, so would it not be a good idea to let those that cant run raids due to
    time constraints, looking after family, soloists etc etc (lots of reasons im sure) have a chance at getting a nice peice
    of loot. this wouldnt effect the raiding community at all really as these players dont already run raids. it would
    be good for the overall picture of the game as im always being told inclusion and thinking of others is good.
    i dont know maybe keep it so only one box per raid can be sold to each character.

what are your thoughts on the above?.

your friend sil
    We don't know yet how often the pot is going to be won from DD. It could be a rare drop like tomes for all we know. I do believe one day it will be in the store, but if not, it would be the first time something from DD ends up not being in the store as far as I know.

I seriously doubt SSG will ever put actual raid loot in the store other than maybe some easy to acquire ingredients like the smalls from Shroud. The argument that people don't have time to raid is weak though. If they have time to quest than they have time to raid.
    #MakeDDOGreatAgain

You are the one choosing not to play alts.

Casual player now investing way less than I used to into the game, playing 1-3 months at a time and still want nothing to do with Reaper. #improvepuggrouping#alldifficultiesmatter

Barbarbarian

"Some people have more money than time. We want to reward those people."
    You can run level cap quests for epic xp, but you can't run non-level cap quests for RXP when you're capped.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Renvar View Post
    Are we tracking when the last time they ran a raid was? Is that stepped into the raid or completed? Is that any raid, or just the raid for which the reward box provides items? Is this across characters or accounts? The implementation of a store item being available only based on raiding history. Does that Tech even exist?

I'd say its a hard pass. The more restrictions you want to put on it and programming hoops you have to jump through, the smaller the target audience gets and the greater the development cost to bring the item to market. That doesn't sound like a recipe for profitability.

Juice isn't worth the squeeze.
    yes i believe it is posible for ssg to determine if a raid was run in a given time limit and this
    would be set in stone so to speak. to qualify for the raiders box yes it would mean you have
    not completed any raid in said time period. this would be account wide not character wide as this
    only targets those that do not run raids. from my understanding it would not be to hard to code
    as the box already exists for one raid so would be easy to make for all. the box would be sold
    in the store and used like anything else, from the inventory you double click it to open, if the time
    period had not expired then a warning would come up saying how long you have left before you can
    redeme your item of choice.

actually i think this has a massive target audence, like i said before there are a lot of reasons why
    folks do not raid. infact ive just spoke to a family of four who play and they dont raid and have never
    raided because they play as a family and would love to see something like this in the store.

your friend sil

Community Member

I never raid. Don't like it. Raided a lot a long time ago. Just simply not for me.

It'd need to be a really shiny item.

Also if raid loot was sold then you'd have to give the DDO points back if the item was ever nerfed. Without that caveat it's a non-starter.

Bounty Hunter

It would definitely save me time to buy the items directly.

It's still too much work because there is no cart and I have to buy my raid items one by one which is still too grindy to me. I need a cart in the store to reduce my farming by buying all raid items in one shot.

This post might be sarcasm, but then again maybe it's not. It's a mystery.

Community Member

I would not mind if they sold some Baba Runes or whatnot in the store. I probably wouldn't buy any.

Barbarbarian

Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    I would not mind if they sold some Baba Runes or whatnot in the store. I probably wouldn't buy any.
    Wait, people are seriously okay with buying power....

Holy carp why did I come back to this game.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-u-r-eye View Post
    Wait, people are seriously okay with buying power....
    Holy carp why did I come back to this game.
    People are already buying power. XP pots, boxes, etc. So what?
    Recent raid loot is not dramatically more powerful than quest loot.
    Also store stuff lacks mythic/reaper bonuses.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast