Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: 1st life caster

  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4

    Question 1st life caster

    Hi. I'm a returning player. I've never really had the time or subscription to really level up a character to max but I think I do now and basically I want to make a caster for my first life and I'm having trouble deciding what class I want to play. I mostly play solo and in PUGS so a build that caters to that would be preferred. I have access to everything except tomes. The warlock class intrigues me but I worry about its survivability compared to some of the other casters due to its lack of heals. thanks

  2. #2
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,088

    Default

    Warlock is a strong class and a great choice for a starting caster.
    Warlocks receive a +5 to UMD on level 2. That helps even a first lifer to meet the UMD requirement to heal via wands of cure wounds and later Heal scrolls. And the temporary HP they can get are very strong particularly in easier content.

    Warlocks are quite hard to mess up and usually even first life characters can contribute in groups.

    If you have long term plans for the character (multiple lives as a caster), then start with a Wizard life, because Wizard past life is beneficial for most other caster lives. However, a first life wizard not knowing what they are doing, is not exactly a fun character to play. (My secret tip to make early wizard life palatable: as first feat take Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Heavy Repeating Xbow, retrain later)

    Sorcerers start fairly strong, though UMD to heal effectively is out of reach for an ungeared first lifer. (Even though some forum folks will tell you something else.) Life is easier with a hireling.

    Caster bards are fun and can fall back to healing and buffing the party if their casting skill is too weak to contribute.

    One word of advice: Particularly first life characters (without tomes) should try to focus on one thing. You can find advanced builds for example for bards who combine crowd control and melee dps. Or sorcerers with necro + enchant focus. Beware, you might end up being weak at everything.

  3. #3
    The Hatchery Enoach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    9,179

    Default

    I personally would recommend going Wizard as a first life caster.

    Here are my reasons...

    1. Wizards have the ability to switch spells to have the better meet the situation. This helps with learning best spells for the situation
    2. As a casting class Wizards get more Feats. This helps in a similar way to spell selection as it gives you more flexibility and also helps reduce the gap between you and a multi-life caster
    3. The Wizard Past Life will benefit all of the caster classes
    4. Teaching of casting efficiency. What to cast as well as when.
    5. It is easier to switch between DC casting and DPS casting - Again because of the extra feats as well as the ability to switch spells for the situation. This is the advantage when you cannot beat the Spell Resistance.

  4. #4
    Hero JOTMON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Orillia, Ontario
    Posts
    7,688

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    I personally would recommend going Wizard as a first life caster.

    Here are my reasons...

    1. Wizards have the ability to switch spells to have the better meet the situation. This helps with learning best spells for the situation
    2. As a casting class Wizards get more Feats. This helps in a similar way to spell selection as it gives you more flexibility and also helps reduce the gap between you and a multi-life caster
    3. The Wizard Past Life will benefit all of the caster classes
    4. Teaching of casting efficiency. What to cast as well as when.
    5. It is easier to switch between DC casting and DPS casting - Again because of the extra feats as well as the ability to switch spells for the situation. This is the advantage when you cannot beat the Spell Resistance.

    Wizard first lifer/newbie is rough in current DDO.

    I would go warlock
    Its the most well rounded versatile class with no real weaknesses.

    1. Warlocks rarely need to swap spells if ever.
    2. don't need as many feats since.. UMD..
    3. wizard past life is nice.. but levelling a new life wizard is painful. I would start with the more balanced warlock class and come back around to wizard.
    4. Warlock can fall back on eldritch attacks while learning mana efficiency and not end up with nothing left in the tank.. and no mana pots needed..
    5. DC/DPS is just as easy if not easier for the warlock.. due to eldritch being mana-free DPS..
    6. Gearing while levelling is easier with a warlock, a warlock doesn't have to work as hard to get useful gear.. and can gather that ideal gear while levelling for current and future lives.
    Argo: Degenerate Matter - 200
    Jotmon (HC 30/42 , RC 36/36 , IC 12/21 , EC 29/36 , RP 85/158)
    Jotlock (HC 38/42 , RC 0/36 , IC 15/21 , EC 36/36 , RP 36/158..favor toon)
    Whatthetruck (HC 38/42 , RC 19/36 , IC 15/21 , EC 19/36 , RP 63/158)

  5. #5
    The Hatchery Enoach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    9,179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post
    Wizard first lifer/newbie is rough in current DDO.
    ...Its the most well rounded versatile class with no real weaknesses.

    ...
    I disagree it is rough but then again I don't subscribe to the "master touch + Two handed weapon" approach used by part of the population

    Actually, Warlock saves is the weakness. But there are ways around it. The other weakness is the limitation in spells.

    The flexibility in casting abilities the wizard brings is a big benefit to learning what type of caster you want to be.

  6. #6
    Hero JOTMON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Orillia, Ontario
    Posts
    7,688

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    I disagree it is rough but then again I don't subscribe to the "master touch + Two handed weapon" approach used by part of the population

    Actually, Warlock saves is the weakness. But there are ways around it. The other weakness is the limitation in spells.

    The flexibility in casting abilities the wizard brings is a big benefit to learning what type of caster you want to be.

    meh,
    "master touch + Two handed weapon" is effective for those first few levels where spell power is weaksauce and the mana bar is mostly empty...
    no reason not to use it to get through beginner content efficiently.


    Never seen any issued with warlock saves.. as a class warlock saves are better due to pact bonuses.

    Wizard only moves ahead with reflex saves when taking insightful reflexes feat and with the heavy investment into INT.. which is in line with building an effective wizard..
    and.. this is a first lifer.. not seeing a wizard win here until much later levels.. with Int focussed level ups and enhancements.

    The detriment to wizard is the mana dependency, once the mana is gone the wizard is no longer effectively contributing.
    as a starter/first lifer this is a huge issue unless they have access to stockpiles of mana pots, or excess cash to spend at the DDO store, or other resources..
    as a veteran player, sure , playing a wizard is np, resources are already stockpiled and plentiful.

    Warlock Spell selection limitations are augmented by strong UMD.
    from my perspective, Casters rarely have to change out spells once the they have worked out which ones are preferably useful and never look back.

    Spell flexibility isn't as great as it should be.. we would need twice as many worthy spells in the selection list for this to be a real issue.
    Alternative resources cover many of the non-DC spells..
    Pots, scrolls,wands cover many of the spells effectively making the spell choice secondary if not obsolete.. teleport, heroism, GH, invisibility, shield, stoneskin, protection from elements, resists, shadow walk, stone to flesh, grease..
    Some spells are better when the meta feats are enacted like extend on haste.. but again.. costly and less useful in the bottom half of levelling..
    Argo: Degenerate Matter - 200
    Jotmon (HC 30/42 , RC 36/36 , IC 12/21 , EC 29/36 , RP 85/158)
    Jotlock (HC 38/42 , RC 0/36 , IC 15/21 , EC 36/36 , RP 36/158..favor toon)
    Whatthetruck (HC 38/42 , RC 19/36 , IC 15/21 , EC 19/36 , RP 63/158)

  7. #7
    The Hatchery Enoach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    9,179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post
    ...The detriment to wizard is the mana dependency, once the mana is gone the wizard is no longer effectively contributing.
    as a starter/first lifer this is a huge issue unless they have access to stockpiles of mana pots, or excess cash to spend at the DDO store, or other resources..
    as a veteran player, sure , playing a wizard is np, resources are already stockpiled and plentiful.

    ...
    I disagree with this, but I find learning wand usage is a way to supplement the sp pool.

    I actually have a stockpile of spell point pots because I don't use them like tic-tacs

    Additionally, being able to have the "best" spell for the situation goes a long way. I also feel the limitation of spell points helps a player learn "good" casting habits. IE not casting a MAX/EMP spell when a standard cost one is enough to finish the job.

    I say this as someone that has seen 7K SP Sorcerers that are out of SP in 3 minutes and basically barely made a dent .

    I also think one of the key lessons to learn as a caster is managing your spell points effectively. Warlock does make this less of a concern, that point I do agree with.
    Last edited by Enoach; 04-20-2018 at 08:27 AM.

  8. #8
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Could you recommend a good build for a first life wizard. If I g warforged for the healing spells what sort of focus should I have?

  9. #9
    2014 DDO Players Council
    SirValentine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Posts
    7,168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    Warlock is a strong class and a great choice for a starting caster.
    Half-agreed. They are strong and easy.

    But that's exactly why they're a bad choice if someone wants to learn to play a caster.

    Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    I personally would recommend going Wizard as a first life caster.

    Here are my reasons...

    1. Wizards have the ability to switch spells to have the better meet the situation. This helps with learning best spells for the situation
    2. As a casting class Wizards get more Feats. This helps in a similar way to spell selection as it gives you more flexibility and also helps reduce the gap between you and a multi-life caster
    3. The Wizard Past Life will benefit all of the caster classes
    4. Teaching of casting efficiency. What to cast as well as when.
    5. It is easier to switch between DC casting and DPS casting - Again because of the extra feats as well as the ability to switch spells for the situation. This is the advantage when you cannot beat the Spell Resistance.
    Agreed with all of that.

    If you learn to play a Wizard, you're well set up to then play any other caster.

    If you bulldoze your way through stuff as a Warlock, well, then, you've learned how to bulldoze your way through stuff on a Warlock. That's fine if all you want to ever be is a Warlock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    As a general rule we don't intend for a single spawn area to cause any dungeon alert, and certainly not red dungeon alert. This basically isn't ever a goal in our designs

  10. #10
    The Hatchery Enoach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    9,179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblades View Post
    Could you recommend a good build for a first life wizard. If I g warforged for the healing spells what sort of focus should I have?
    I would recommend starting with max Int. and 14 CON. I prefer to put the rest in Charisma for social and umd skills.

    Feats that I think work for any wizard
    Insightful Reflexes
    Heighten

    Early on I recommend the Wand/Scroll Mastery enhancements to get more out of these alternate spell point tools.

    I would recommend the AM tree for Warforged Wizard Race and also for first life.

    Reason is because you can choose a school for Cheap spells (mind you they do have a longer cooldown)

    Evocation has some cheap damage spells
    Illusion has some nice defense and an instant kill
    Enchantment has some cheap debuffs and control spells

    But in the end I recommend trying them all out to find your style.

  11. #11
    Community Member C-Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Lacalifusa
    Posts
    4,332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblades View Post
    Could you recommend a good build for a first life wizard. If I g warforged for the healing spells what sort of focus should I have?
    o https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5759365

  12. #12
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post
    meh,
    "master touch + Two handed weapon" is effective for those first few levels where spell power is weaksauce and the mana bar is mostly empty...
    no reason not to use it to get through beginner content efficiently.


    Never seen any issued with warlock saves.. as a class warlock saves are better due to pact bonuses.

    Wizard only moves ahead with reflex saves when taking insightful reflexes feat and with the heavy investment into INT.. which is in line with building an effective wizard..
    and.. this is a first lifer.. not seeing a wizard win here until much later levels.. with Int focussed level ups and enhancements.

    The detriment to wizard is the mana dependency, once the mana is gone the wizard is no longer effectively contributing.
    as a starter/first lifer this is a huge issue unless they have access to stockpiles of mana pots, or excess cash to spend at the DDO store, or other resources..
    as a veteran player, sure , playing a wizard is np, resources are already stockpiled and plentiful.

    Warlock Spell selection limitations are augmented by strong UMD.
    from my perspective, Casters rarely have to change out spells once the they have worked out which ones are preferably useful and never look back.

    Spell flexibility isn't as great as it should be.. we would need twice as many worthy spells in the selection list for this to be a real issue.
    Alternative resources cover many of the non-DC spells..
    Pots, scrolls,wands cover many of the spells effectively making the spell choice secondary if not obsolete.. teleport, heroism, GH, invisibility, shield, stoneskin, protection from elements, resists, shadow walk, stone to flesh, grease..
    Some spells are better when the meta feats are enacted like extend on haste.. but again.. costly and less useful in the bottom half of levelling..
    i'd say even with kinda 20 potency newbie staff,a pure wiz would simply able to nuke everyting out of his way with 2sp cost mm/chill touch or 4sp cost arcane bolt at low levels(under lv9),which is far more powerful than greataxes even if you have access to harper tree.Wiz is obviously sp efficiency & overpowered if you only stay with elite contents.you should take all meta early and switch them when you have bonus feats via dragonshards or LR later.

    noteble a wiz have access to all energy types,all CC spell against all saves while 1st warlock don't.New player WILL encounter new monsters with high resists ,even immunity of his selected pack.

    even as a 1st life caster,I mean any ,pots should never be count in as your stratagy stockings.If they do,that simply means you made a wrong build.

  13. #13
    Hero JOTMON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Orillia, Ontario
    Posts
    7,688

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Relventree View Post
    i'd say even with kinda 20 potency newbie staff,a pure wiz would simply able to nuke everyting out of his way with 2sp cost mm/chill touch or 4sp cost arcane bolt at low levels(under lv9),which is far more powerful than greataxes even if you have access to harper tree.Wiz is obviously sp efficiency & overpowered if you only stay with elite contents.you should take all meta early and switch them when you have bonus feats via dragonshards or LR later.

    noteble a wiz have access to all energy types,all CC spell against all saves while 1st warlock don't.New player WILL encounter new monsters with high resists ,even immunity of his selected pack.

    even as a 1st life caster,I mean any ,pots should never be count in as your stratagy stockings.If they do,that simply means you made a wrong build.
    lol. a first life wizard nuking beginner content with mm.. good luck with that.
    any basic player knows the axe is getting the job done until fireball kicks in at level 7...especially with all those level 1-5 vorpals dropping in the harbor....

    Pact is a trivial portion of the Warlocks power.
    Eldritch Force damage turns the warlock into a walking DR breaker for 99% of DDO content.
    Enhancements can be taken to consolidate into light spell power to refocus this force damage into evil damage which almost every mob in the game has no defenses against.
    Even the Marut in von5 (immune to all magic) can by bypassed by picking up piercing damage stance to change the eldritch damage to piercing.

    Pots are not part of the strategy just for those oh s... moments..
    I am talking UMD.. Warlock has it as a class skill and it is boosted by warlock levels.
    a wizard has work to do to get a useful reliable UMD... and since its a first lifer.. no past lives or destinies, stat pots, skill tomes, etc.. to bolster those UMD numbers for the poor wizard.


    but hey by all means struggle and suffer through the game on a first life wizard... if the new player survives that without rage quitting they can put that past life to use..
    Argo: Degenerate Matter - 200
    Jotmon (HC 30/42 , RC 36/36 , IC 12/21 , EC 29/36 , RP 85/158)
    Jotlock (HC 38/42 , RC 0/36 , IC 15/21 , EC 36/36 , RP 36/158..favor toon)
    Whatthetruck (HC 38/42 , RC 19/36 , IC 15/21 , EC 19/36 , RP 63/158)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload