Community Member

Default Just Started, Some questions!

Hello all,

I am 99% new to game I played long ago when the game first came out but I don't remember like anything. A lot of content has been added.

I started a pally character and chose a kit for it, forget which one but it kinda chooses a path for me, finished like 3 quests in the starter area and I see people running around but I see no chat in my box and I try to talk in general but nobody responds. Do I have to get to a certain area of the game before I see socializing ? TBH I will probably be like soloing more than grouping, I hear that DDO has a lot of solo content, is this true? Can I get to level cap soloing if I choose? Is it essential to join a guild?

Regarding the DDO store, I am pretty confident I will be playing this game for long time, and I wanna get into the mix rather quickly and have the essential stuff from the store, I am assuming buying all account wide stuff is the way to go or because I am VIP should I even worry about it? I mean my ultimate goal is to become FTP down the road but for now I don't have a choice but to be VIP. What should I buy and not buy?

I play on Orien, I heard its the most populated server, before I get into it further, should I reroll somewhere else or is this a good server?

Lastly, character classes, being new I have nothing unlocked, I am very interested in the Warlock, Druid and Artificer classes, should I just go ahead and buy them and play them because from what I read they all 3 seem to be very capable classes or is there a way to unlock them via in game content? To expand on the point, is it ok to build on a premade kit or go full out and fully make a character and learn from making bad characters? Seems like choosing a kit is the way to go until I learn the game more??

Thank you all for any help!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordSinfury View Post
    Hello all,

I am 99% new to game I played long ago when the game first came out but I don't remember like anything. A lot of content has been added.

I started a pally character and chose a kit for it, forget which one but it kinda chooses a path for me, finished like 3 quests in the starter area and I see people running around but I see no chat in my box and I try to talk in general but nobody responds. Do I have to get to a certain area of the game before I see socializing ? TBH I will probably be like soloing more than grouping, I hear that DDO has a lot of solo content, is this true? Can I get to level cap soloing if I choose? Is it essential to join a guild?
    I've been playing for what some consider, quite a while, and I do it terribly but mostly solo due to my lack of ability to commit time to playing and I have a character at lvl 20 that was 99.5% solo'd. So yes you can solo to cap. The Epic levels are much harder to solo from the few I've tried and what I've read, but apparently it's possible.

Regarding the DDO store, I am pretty confident I will be playing this game for long time, and I wanna get into the mix rather quickly and have the essential stuff from the store, I am assuming buying all account wide stuff is the way to go or because I am VIP should I even worry about it? I mean my ultimate goal is to become FTP down the road but for now I don't have a choice but to be VIP. What should I buy and not buy?
    If you're a VIP, don't worry about it. However, if FTP is your end goal then I would recommend taking advantage of all the races and classes VIPs get and play them. Take advantage of Lamannia (the preview world) to buy and try the classes/races you don't have. If you find one you like... buy it and play it on the 'real' server. While you're at it buy a few character slots (you'll be glad you did when you go FTP). Plus buy some shared bank space. Use your free VIP points to do most of those things since there isn't a lot else to spend them on. Play the game, bank some points and when you go FTP buy the packs that you enjoyed playing and will give you the most XP per $.

I play on Orien, I heard its the most populated server, before I get into it further, should I reroll somewhere else or is this a good server?
    I play on Orien. My experience has been that, in general, most of the players there are quite nice and generally helpful. There are a few tools... but just ignore them, they are not the majority.

Lastly, character classes, being new I have nothing unlocked, I am very interested in the Warlock, Druid and Artificer classes, should I just go ahead and buy them and play them because from what I read they all 3 seem to be very capable classes or is there a way to unlock them via in game content? To expand on the point, is it ok to build on a premade kit or go full out and fully make a character and learn from making bad characters? Seems like choosing a kit is the way to go until I learn the game more??
    If you are a VIP you should have more than enough classes/races to be dangerous, er, unlocked so play those. Use Lamannia to decide on the others and wait for a sale to buy it using your VIP points (or buy some points on bonus days to do it). You can learn a lot about what works in this game by playing the classes/races you get for free, or like drow, can unlock by playing. Doing the multi-class thing can both help and hinder this... so look through the forums for builds for 28pt first life characters. Bottom line build something from a kit or not, play it, if you don't like it... save it's good gear and plat, delete it and try again. That's part of the fun and what shared bank slots are for. (Success, read: easy to level and survive, on the other hand, is a completely different thing. That takes a lot of planning and just when you think you've got it all working... the devs change the game and go and ruin it for you. ;-) )
    Last edited by AMADHA; 04-01-2018 at 01:17 AM.

Welcome back! Indeed quite a lot has changed. I came back at the beginning of the year after being away for several years and it's been quite an adjustment.

finished like 3 quests in the starter area and I see people running around but I see no chat in my box and I try to talk in general but nobody responds. Do I have to get to a certain area of the game before I see socializing ?
    Public chat is...fairly dead. It picks up a bit in the Harbor, and then goes away again as people move on from the heavy density of newbie quests there. Your best bet for interaction is to find a newbie-friendly guild.

TBH I will probably be like soloing more than grouping, I hear that DDO has a lot of solo content, is this true? Can I get to level cap soloing if I choose? Is it essential to join a guild?
    You can solo all the way to 30. Some quests are difficult (or outright impossible) to solo due to mechanics which require you to be in more than one place at the same time. Some of these can be overcome with Hirelings, some can't.

It is not NECESSARY to join a guild, but it can be helpful. My guild is just me...I like having the airship as a teleport point. But that's pure convenience. I haven't even bothered to put any amenities onto it. The main reason I made a guild for myself was that I was tired of deleting 20 guild invite spam emails a day from people dropping invites on anybody they ran across who wasn't in a guild. It was super irritating.

Regarding the DDO store, I am pretty confident I will be playing this game for long time, and I wanna get into the mix rather quickly and have the essential stuff from the store, I am assuming buying all account wide stuff is the way to go or because I am VIP should I even worry about it?
    Being VIP for a while is not a bad idea. It gets you access to almost all of the content in the game so that you can experience it and see what you enjoy. Then if/when you drop VIP later, you'll know which packs are in your best interest to pick up first. Being VIP also means you will revert to a "Premium" account instead of Free-to-Play, which means your platinum cap is unlocked, you have more character slots, and some other bonuses. You'll also get 500 store points per month to get you started on picking up packs and useful account features.

What should I buy and not buy?
    Things to buy:
    Adventure packs in level ranges where free-to-play quests are scarce so it's easier to level up.
    Adventure packs that you think are a lot of fun.
    Adventure packs with useful loot to acquire.
    Shared Bank (the basic 20 slot version should be fine for most purposes).
    Shared Crafting Bank (hugely helpful until you get some larger bags to carry the titanic number of ingredients and collectibles out there).

Things not to buy:
    Shared Platinum Bank...a total waste.
    Drow. Very very easy to get via favor rewards. Do not buy ever.
    Cannith Challenges. Store up the daily challenge tokens and you can run this a bunch without the huge DDO store point cost.
    Armor, weapons, scrolls, wands (or anything else you can get directly in-game). No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no! Not ever!
    Stuff that is included in an expansion. If you buy Menace of The Underdark, it comes with Epic Destinies. So you don't want to buy Epic Destinies separately.

Lastly, character classes, being new I have nothing unlocked, I am very interested in the Warlock, Druid and Artificer classes
    As a VIP, you have access to Warlock and Druid, but not Artificer. Experiment with both of those on lower level characters to get a feel for them and see if you enjoy them. Once you let VIP lapse, you will lose access to those characters until you get the classes back. Find out if you enjoy them before you invest in them.

Artificer is a little different - you can unlock it via favor rewards from House Cannith. This isn't very difficult to do, but it requires a high level heroic character to do it because these are level 19 quests. You'd need to get a non-artificer up to 20 (at least) in order to run those quests on at least Hard, and then fill in the rest of the favor with Cannith Challenges. This lets you avoid buying the class from the DDO store.

To expand on the point, is it ok to build on a premade kit or go full out and fully make a character and learn from making bad characters? Seems like choosing a kit is the way to go until I learn the game more??
    My rule of thumb in all games is that pre-made characters are awful and should be avoided. One of DDO's biggest strengths is the huge amount of flexibility you have in what kind of a character you make. This is a big drawback too, since it's also pretty easy to really screw up your character by making uninformed decisions especially with regard to multiclassing. Go check out the class forums and look for newbie friendly builds for first lifers, and read a bunch of discussion threads about class strengths and weaknesses. Then you can build your own character using either your own informed ideas, or with a forum-approved custom build that will give you a good chance of success.
    Last edited by Matuse; 04-01-2018 at 01:18 AM.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

Community Member

Hello all,
    Hi there! Welcome aboard!

I started a pally character and chose a kit for it, forget which one but it kinda chooses a path for me, finished like 3 quests in the starter area and I see people running around but I see no chat in my box and I try to talk in general but nobody responds.
    This is pretty common. I tend to ignore general chat as well, and focus on guild and group chat myself.
    Do I have to get to a certain area of the game before I see socializing ? TBH I will probably be like soloing more than grouping, I hear that DDO has a lot of solo content, is this true? Can I get to level cap soloing if I choose? Is it essential to join a guild?
    You can solo most of the game, at least before epics. It isn't essential to join a guild, but the perks are awesome. Travel, buffs, direct access to helpful people... Even if you end up entirely ignoring the guild chat, the guild buffs and airship travel are very useful.
    Quest packs are more important than classes at first
    - Less true when VIP, but I've kept to premium play for years now, and I'm about 600$ richer for it.
    - The reason is simple: getting access to adventures means you can earn more favor. Favor means you can get more free points.

You'll want the first few slots of shared bank. It allows you to trade Bound to Account items between characters.

Out of the remaining store items, tomes (get a greater XP tome for your main character ASAP. Costly, but worth every point spent) are nice to get.
    I'm on Khyber, but Orien is supposedly the most populated server. I don't hear anything bad from servers, and the last issue with any specific server I can remember happened to Ghallanda.
    Kits are almost all awful. They're useful if you're going to repeatedly create temporary characters for farming purposes, but you're probably better left learning the game using the DDOWiki or the forums and making your own build. Most of those kits are outdated.
    Thank you all for any help!
    Come and ask again! I recently started using the forums a lot more, and there's a lot of people more knowledgeable than me and that will gladly help out!

in the starter area and I see people running around but I see no chat in my box and I try to talk in general but nobody responds.
    Welcome back. As far as chat goes my main is on Khyber and I hardly ever see any chat at all, but I just created a character on Canneth and the players on Kothos were chatting up a storm. I did a couple of the other servers too and was on briefly and didn't see anyone around.

If you're seeing players and they don't answer in General they could be on Guild chat, or one of the various voice channels. Try sending them a Tell if you need to get their attention.

I'm F2p (well Premium) and I've gotten my character up to lvl 13 mainly on the free dungeons, but also on a couple of the pack's I bought. You can make it to cap, but you'll be running a lot of the same dungeons over and over again. Just something to think about.
    Aias Iceforge. Barbarian Ice Dwarf - Khyber

...I started a pally character and chose a kit for it, forget which one but it kinda chooses a path for me...
    Welcome!

Unfortunately (and on several levels), with all the updates, these "paths" rarely get updated along with those. So they are, almost without exception, disastrous - some minor disasters, some major ones (and some few that actually do work!), but generally speaking they are to be avoided as a rule.

I'd set your toon aside and start fresh w/ something from this:
    o https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5759353

Someone else had some Q's similar to some of yours - I posted this: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6072903

I play on Orien,
    /joinchannel titan
    /uc1 Hi!

Most people on Orien use the titan channel instead of general.

Community Member

Ok wow, first off THANK YOU all for the kind and helpful replys. The information you all provided was wonderful. So I do have few other questions as well as some clarifications.

So I understand that I should build my character from the ground up and not let the game auto any stats for me via the kits and all and use the Build repository to start out my characters until I get a feel for the game and build my own if I so choose is that about right?

I am bit confused on 28 pt and 32 pt builds, can someone clarify what all that means little more?

What is premium build, is that a special class you have to pay to open up?

Also I hear the first life and second life thrown around a lot in forums, what is this regarding classes?

Lastly I got up in the attic today and recovered my old physical copy of DDO online from back in the day, with the product key code, I put it in the website but it did nothing. I contacted Customer Support and in the process of receiving a email from them. My goal is simply to recover my old account for which I have no idea what I had left, how many characters I had, currency, or level range. I told them all that in the ticket as well as the key code printed on the inside of the case as well as the email I may have used back then. Is this pretty much all I needed to do to recover? I know some of you may say start over and make new account but if I did have something to help me get started even if it is little it may be worth it in the end. Can I expect good results from SSG?

Thank you all for the replys, what you have provided to me is very very helpful with a friendly demeanor and I really do appreciate it and very thankful for it.

I am bit confused on 28 pt and 32 pt builds, can someone clarify what all that means little more?
    When you assign build points during character creation, all of your attributes start out at 8 (modified by race, if your race has any stat modifiers). You "buy" higher stats by spending points to increase them. Brand new characters have 28 build points to invest in their attributes. With high favor, you unlock the ability to create characters with 32 starting points right out of the gate. It's a big boost.

Also I hear the first life and second life thrown around a lot in forums, what is this regarding classes?
    It's not really regarding classes, but one of the now core mechanics of the game: Reincarnation. When you hit level 20, you can take your character and have them start over again at level 1, but with bonuses carried over from previous lives. There's a lot of detail involved in the process, best described on the Wiki page, because there are several different kinds of reincarnation and numerous benefits obtained from doing it. But it is a heck of a grind, XP-wise. Hundreds of millions of XP to max out a character with 3 past lives of all of the available options. Info is here: http://ddowiki.com/page/Reincarnation

Lastly I got up in the attic today and recovered my old physical copy of DDO online from back in the day, with the product key code, I put it in the website but it did nothing. I contacted Customer Support and in the process of receiving a email from them. My goal is simply to recover my old account for which I have no idea what I had left, how many characters I had, currency, or level range. I told them all that in the ticket as well as the key code printed on the inside of the case as well as the email I may have used back then. Is this pretty much all I needed to do to recover?
    Actually, all you need to recover is access to the email account you used to sign up in the first place. If you have that you can go to the account login page and click on the "I forgot my user id" and they will email you recovery information for that account.

I know some of you may say start over and make new account but if I did have something to help me get started even if it is little it may be worth it in the end
    If you can recover, you definitely want to recover. Just by having bought the retail box, you will be getting benefits like bonus DDO store points, premium account status, and pre-order goodies, if you pre-ordered. Any characters or items you have left over would really just be gravy - although likely some of them will have some of the free +0 or +20 lesser reincarnation hearts in their inventory, and those are quite valuable.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

Community Member

Ok I am going to completely edit my last post, and say that I successfully recovered my old account from 2008. Everything went smoothly as far as the old email I used and it took it in the system. However, now I have another problem I purchased VIP on a new account instead of trying to get my old account back first, can SSG switch my VIP to my old account now?
    Last edited by LordSinfury; 04-01-2018 at 06:25 PM.

That...I don't know. My first guess would be no, but it couldn't hurt to ask.

Community Member

Ok thanks, now that I have my account recovered, I am going to play my old one and just make new characters on Orien. Think I will start off with a Ranger build of some sort and go from there.

I thank everyone for all the help!

...can SSG switch my VIP to my old account now?
    ...My goal is simply to recover my old account for which I have no idea what I had left, how many characters I had, currency, or level range...
    Yes, they ~can~ - you just have to ask them politely so they ~will~.

File a request from your VIP account (since that has full customer service activated) - explain what happened, be apologetic and likable, and see what they have to say.

The good thing about recovering that old account is that those character should all have a +20 Lesser Heart of Wood, so you can rebuild them as you please (within some limits) without losing their Level or gear. Recommended, if you can.

... and use the Build repository to start out my characters until I get a feel for the game and build my own if I so choose is that about right?
    It takes a LOT to "build your own" - you have to first understand, and then internalize, all the (relevant) Enhancement trees, so you know what trade-offs your making by choosing A vs. B (or C, D, E thru Z).

And since you don't know which are "relevant", you'll want to be deeply familiar with most all of them.

(Hint - this won't happen by reading, only by playing. Get started on that. )

28 point builds are what new all accounts start with - it's the amount of "build points" you have to allocate to your 6 stats (Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, Cha) when you first build the character, before rolling them out of the barn. You can buy a 32 point build via DDO Points, but it's also possible also "earn it for free" with Total Favor.

(* You must have some access to more than the F2P quests to earn 1750. If you have enough packs, 1750 Total Favor usually shows up when a build is in their mid-teens. )

Assuming you have your 32 point build unlocked, that's not the limit to build points. After you hit Level 20 and do either a Heroic Reincarnation or Racial Incarnation (or go on to Level 30, do an Epic Reincanation, and then one of the first 2), you then get 34* points on your 2nd life. And doing it again gets you 36* points, the max.

Many builds rely on a LOT of build points to achieve their goals. Most(?) players consider "1st life" to be a 32 point build, while a 28 point build is "New Player Friendly" - altho' that's not a universal.

o http://ddowiki.com/page/Reincarnation

(* Note - Drow work differently, using 28, 30 and 32 build points: http://ddowiki.com/page/Drow )

What is premium build, is that a special class you have to pay to open up?
    Not in any official sense. Read the first post in that "build repository" thread, the poster explains what he means there by using that term. There are ways to unlock those (so-called) "premium" features without spending money.

(In DDO terms, "Premium" is one of the 3 categories of players, based on what type of customer they are with SSG: http://ddowiki.com/page/Account_Comparisons . But the poster of that thread is not using "premium" in that specific definition.)
    Last edited by C-Dog; 04-02-2018 at 03:14 AM.

TBH I will probably be like soloing more than grouping, I hear that DDO has a lot of solo content, is this true? Can I get to level cap soloing if I choose? Is it essential to join a guild?
    You can successfully play solo but you might have a better play experience grouping. This is a MMORPG after all. The MM part of that is subjective, but on a populous server you'll find plenty of people to play with should you choose to do so.

You can earn Drow, Favored Soul, and Artificer during play. So buying those is only for the hasty or impatient. Similarly, you can buy store points when they are on sale and buy content (dungeon packs) when it is on sale and save yourself a lot of money over time. The DDOWiki is a great source of information on the game in general and it has records of prior sale events that can help you plan your purchases.

Any populous server should provide you with a rich environment for the Auction House and Astral Shard Auction House, and opportunities for grouping. Avoid Wayfinder as it is a very low population server.

Lastly, character classes, being new I have nothing unlocked, I am very interested in the Warlock, Druid and Artificer classes, should I just go ahead and buy them and play them because from what I read they all 3 seem to be very capable classes or is there a way to unlock them via in game content?
    You can buy Druid from the store. Artificer you can unlock on a per-server basis during play but you'll need to buy the Secrets of the Artificers pack or be very patient with running Cannith Challenges using the daily free token. Or you might earn it while your VIP is active and you'll have it when you let that expire.
    Warlock is a pay to play class but VIPs get access to it as a part of the subscription benefit. You'll lose access to any races or classes you have not purchased if at any time you allow your VIP subscription to lapse.
    You cannot take advantage of any store sales for content or classes or races that a VIP subscription grants you access to while that sub is active. This is just one of the reasons that a VIP subscription is best used as a trial period for the game and not a long term strategy if you intent to keep playing the game.

===

Quote Originally Posted by AMADHA View Post
    Take advantage of Lamannia (the preview world) to buy and try the classes/races you don't have. If you find one you like... buy it and play it on the 'real' server.
    No. Lamannia is only available very briefly around the time that new content is about to go live. It isn't a place a new player can be sure to have access to and it isn't a place to try out the game.
    Last edited by Niminae; 04-02-2018 at 07:37 AM.

Community Member

Thank you for the additional information. You guys are superb!

One additional question....the dice rolling login goodies....I haven't used it yet but I am assuming it's like Lotros login one per day silver once week gold? Also are these rewards all account so if I chose to use a gold attempt it wouldn't matter what character I use it on?

Thank you again

One additional question....the dice rolling login goodies....I haven't used it yet but I am assuming it's like Lotros login one per day silver once week gold? Also are these rewards all account so if I chose to use a gold attempt it wouldn't matter what character I use it on?
    One free silver for any and all, only VIP get a free gold roll.

Many of the rewards are "Bound to Account", meaning you can only trade them via a Shared Bank. But, altho' expensive (in terms of DDO points), that is one of the recommended early(ish) purchases.

o http://ddowiki.com/page/DDO_Store#Shared_Bank

Community Member

Ok awesome TY