Community Member

Default What class for a intro to spell casters?

Hi All,

Just about to wrap up my first year in DDO. I am on my 4th melee life. Looking for suggestions for my first caster life. Very little gear, but will have 36 points and a +6 supreme tome. Solid build for learning "casters" F2P but ive purchased almost all content.( was vip until point sale then bought most things and dropped to free) Trying to avoid Warlock for now. Most Likely 1-20 then buy another TR just like i have with the melee's. My basic plan is to try every class at least once. Not that i think it will matter much but i have Paladin, Barb, Ranger, and getting close to finishing up Monk for my melee lives so far. Links to builds would be appreciated, i tend to follow those well. Solo with hireling on Elite /R1 is my preferred method. i always have public lfg on and join as much as i can.

Community Member ProdigyThirteen's Avatar

Despite your choice to try to avoid Warlock, it's by far the best choice for a first caster life. They're the most well rounded caster with the least reliance on high DCs or a large pool of spellpoints. They have a variety of playstyles from up close using bursts and aura or cone, to mid ranged with chain and they can even play DC as a Great Old One. They're super tanky if you play as an ES as you get con as temp HP every aura pulse (x2 at L20+) and 8x con as temp hp every 30 seconds with shining through. They offer a little bit of everything and are easy to pick up and play.

In comparison:
    FvS sucks in lower levels until you get blade barrier
    Cleric I've not played since the pass they recently got so I can't speak for them
    Sorc is a "nuker" class that relies more on SP and if you choose not to go Warforged, you'll have to rely on heal scrolls (also, all spells come 1 level later than wizard)
    Wiz has a slow first few levels and is one of the harder casters to pick up, but has easier access to healing than a Sorc (with some upsides and downsides depending on if you go Palemaster or not), free spell swapping, more spell slots and a wider range of builds to choose from
    Druid is about to get a pass making casters significantly better (at least from what I've seen), but as with Cleric, I can't give exact details
    Bard, if you class it as a caster, is more of a CC than DPS caster, has mid-tier self healing and plays a great support role with songs
    Arti, again if you class it as a caster, is sub par as a caster. Better choice there is Xbow

If I were to rank them in order of easiest to play to hardest with average gear and little knowledge of caster classes, I'd say (In my opinion):
    1) Warlock
    2) Cleric
    3) Sorc
    4) Wizard
    5) Bard
    6) Druid
    7) FvS
    Server: Cannith
    Main: ProdigyXX
    Alts: Pretty much all Prodigy something or other.
    Founder and Officer of Legends of Eberron

Quote Originally Posted by Krushyn View Post
    Hi All,

Just about to wrap up my first year in DDO. I am on my 4th melee life. Looking for suggestions for my first caster life. Very little gear, but will have 36 points and a +6 supreme tome. Solid build for learning "casters" F2P but ive purchased almost all content.( was vip until point sale then bought most things and dropped to free) Trying to avoid Warlock for now. Most Likely 1-20 then buy another TR just like i have with the melee's. My basic plan is to try every class at least once. Not that i think it will matter much but i have Paladin, Barb, Ranger, and getting close to finishing up Monk for my melee lives so far. Links to builds would be appreciated, i tend to follow those well. Solo with hireling on Elite /R1 is my preferred method. i always have public lfg on and join as much as i can.
    If you want an "Easy Button" caster build, then Warlock would be your choice. If you want to "Learn" to be a caster, and still not be overly challenged...then go with a Sorcerer. They have a larger spell point pool than most casters. They don't have to write spell to a spell book. And they have a smaller list of active spells to have to fiddle with.

If you want a little bit more of a challenge as a caster, then go for a Wizard. Fewer Spell points, DC checks more important...etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo174 View Post
    Opening up the casual difficulty for raids would have been a much better solution. Since all the whiners are just complaining about not being able to play through the content they paid for. Just give them their casual difficulty. Since they are just a bunch of casuals.

Proud Member of the Bunch of Casuals Club!!!!!

Wizard is the - dive into the deep end of the pool, sink or swim - option.

Warlock is the - dip your feet in the kiddie pool - option

Sorc is in between.

*as wf you also get a flotation device.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Wizard.

1) When you realize that you picked your spells poorly, you can just re-select them.
    2) You get to pick from every Wizard/Sorcerer spell
    3) You get the spells earlier than any other class
    4) The enhancements are really handy and work just fine for Heroic Hard and that's plenty to get used to casting in general.

Also, Wizard has the best Heroic Past Life when you reincarnate.

Edit: Also, make sure you take Warforged as your race since you don't want to rely on Pale Master healing. Pale Masters are essentially immortal on Normal and Hard and die WAAAAAAY too quickly on Elite/Reaper.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Community Member ProdigyThirteen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Edit: Also, make sure you take Warforged as your race since you don't want to rely on Pale Master healing. Pale Masters are essentially immortal on Normal and Hard and die WAAAAAAY too quickly on Elite/Reaper.
    You must be doing something wrong then. I've just leveled a PM through heroics using pots from 1-6 and forms after that. Only died to my own stupidity. Deathless through running with the devils, never even came close to dying. Had no problems keeping pace with a Warlock either.
    Server: Cannith
    Main: ProdigyXX
    Alts: Pretty much all Prodigy something or other.
    Founder and Officer of Legends of Eberron

Wizard for a few reasons:
    -Pale Master is awesome (after all these years I still enjoy the sound of death aura healing)
    -The past life feat will benefit every caster life afterwards
    -Spells are VERY easy to swap v.s Sorc
    "Unexplained noises are best left unexplained."
    -John Bellairs-

Community Member

Yeah, I'd say wiz too. Sorc has a lot more linear enhancement trees, so it's easier in that respect. But until you figure out which of the arcane spells are worth having, you probably want the ability to swap them freely. Some of the spells just aren't worth taking. Some are good, but you might find you don't have the DCs to use them effectively just yet, etc.

I like pale master better, but warforged and repair/reconstruct might be easier for the first round. You can take a medium or heavy armor option for 1 feat if you find you're too squishy with WF, so that's a nice plus. And a wiz will have plenty of available feats. Sorc is pretty tight on them.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperNiCd View Post
    Yeah, I'd say wiz too. Sorc has a lot more linear enhancement trees, so it's easier in that respect. But until you figure out which of the arcane spells are worth having, you probably want the ability to swap them freely. Some of the spells just aren't worth taking. Some are good, but you might find you don't have the DCs to use them effectively just yet, etc.

I like pale master better, but warforged and repair/reconstruct might be easier for the first round. You can take a medium or heavy armor option for 1 feat if you find you're too squishy with WF, so that's a nice plus. And a wiz will have plenty of available feats. Sorc is pretty tight on them.
    Pale master wizard is good, if your following a template. Not getting key spells at level up is a pain on a 1st life. Trying to find a death aura scroll to scribe would be difficult.

Sorc Warforged is an easy button for a 1st life.

Warlock is the training wheels version, and eventually can grow to one amazing vehicle;-)

Hi All,

Personally, I think Cleric w/ Light or Fire Domain would be good learning class. Of course, they're a somewhat different than an arcane class, but I believe that the benefits are in the survivability it provides while learning when, where, and why to position yourself for casting. The downsides are the survivability could create some laziness as some arcanes cannot heal as good on demand and don't have the AC with some builds to deflect attacks and ranged missiles.

Bards Spellsingers are also great in heroics, though fall short in epics if you don't get the hang of the strengths and weaknesses of what you can and cannot do.

FvS are like clerics, but no SLAs at the moment. I do have a new player in my guild who went this route and has excelled at it over the last 6-9 months so much he's only ETR'd 3 times and sits at cap soloing Slavers R1s and Ravenloft. It's sort of amazing.

Wizards focus either on damage, DCs, or Necro. They have a lot flexibility if focusing on Shiradi and Damage with class splits as long as you can get a set of Arcane Gauntlets.

Sorcs are easy early game but get harder to play after level 9.

Warlocks have a low or little learning curve out the gate, but you realize after learning them thoroughly there is a lot more potential and ways to grow skills.

Edit:
    I forgot Artificers: Arcanotechs are the midranged-caster class. They play similar to a lightning sorc, but different spells, trapping skills, and an xbow in between. They're fun and are a decent fit to learn on.
    Last edited by adrian69; 03-19-2018 at 01:29 PM.
    Drakenocas, The Sword of Mourning of KaOS of Khyber
    Triple Heroic, Epic, Iconic Completionist. Racial IP

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ProdigyThirteen View Post
    You must be doing something wrong then. I've just leveled a PM through heroics using pots from 1-6 and forms after that. Only died to my own stupidity. Deathless through running with the devils, never even came close to dying. Had no problems keeping pace with a Warlock either.
    The best thing about being a caster is gathering up one or two dozen mobs and killing them all at once. PM on Elite is a LOT less forgiving of incoming damage than Warforged with Reconstruct. That doesn't mean they're terrible (although they are in Reaper), but it does mean that you can't come back from a bad situation nearly as easily with a PM as you can with someone dumping Reconstruct on themselves.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Wizard in my opinion is the best "lets try out spell caster" class.

My reasons

1. Ability to switch up spells with a rest (shrine/tavern)
    This allows for experimentation of spells. Allowing you to get a feel on how spells work, but also maintain flexibility to switch spells based on how effective they are in the current situation.

2. Flexibility
    -- via enhancements.
    While PM and AM have a school focus, the AM tree has many features that are universally useful to schools and the PM has several features that work more towards survivability.

-- via gear
    It is easy to switch between DC and damage focus via gear. Again this is because the Wizard can more easily switch between what spells they use.

3. Spell Point conservation
    The warlock and sorcerer can lend themselves to not thinking about your spell point usage in a critical way. Warlock because it is not dependent on spells (you can actually play this class and not cast any spells - something I don't recommend). Sorcerer simply gets a lot of spell points which can lead to forming bad habits like casting spells with full Meta's always on for every situation.

4. Feats
    The Wizard Class gets more feats to work with. This gives you more options in the Meta magic feats.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Loromir View Post
    If you want to "Learn" to be a caster, and still not be overly challenged...then go with a Sorcerer.
    Wizard. You can't choose the wrong spells as a Wizard, because you can swap them at any tavern or shrine. If you take a poor feat choice, well, you get bonus feats out the wazoo.

Sorc is simpler, if you already know exactly what you want. But it's is much more unforgiving if you're just learning, and gives you a lot less breadth to learn about.
    Last edited by SirValentine; 03-19-2018 at 10:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    As a general rule we don't intend for a single spawn area to cause any dungeon alert, and certainly not red dungeon alert. This basically isn't ever a goal in our designs

Community Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. The reason i was trying to avoid Warlock for right now is, It seems that they are just very powerful compared to the game. I was worried that i might become accustomed to their strength and then set myself up for a steeper learning curve trying them out to early compared to alot of other classes. So far most of my lives have been either pure, or a small rogue splash traps/evasion. But as i have never played a caster in any online game ( always a tank or melee dps) Maybe i should start there.

Does anyone have any links to builds with the feat and enhancement progressions for a Wizard, or even a warlock if need be? that are current enough to use?

Thanks for all the suggestions. The reason i was trying to avoid Warlock for right now is, It seems that they are just very powerful compared to the game. I was worried that i might become accustomed to their strength and then set myself up for a steeper learning curve trying them out to early compared to alot of other classes. So far most of my lives have been either pure, or a small rogue splash traps/evasion. But as i have never played a caster in any online game ( always a tank or melee dps) Maybe i should start there.

Does anyone have any links to builds with the feat and enhancement progressions for a Wizard, or even a warlock if need be? that are current enough to use?

Wizards are the last class for pass it seems and have changed little since U19-21.

This is, imo, the better post for wizards, old and experienced, who want to focus on DPS output.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers

I feel the two best builds rely to much on a bugs atm that have either been fixed or is preparing to be fixed sooner than later or require knowledge of what you're doing, and they require raid gear and slavers gear anyway.

Edit:

Warlock builds are a dime a dozen. You'll want to start off with an enlightened spirt build before moving on to a blaster probably. Warlock builds equate to Enlightened Spirit>Eldritch Blasting>Enchant or Necro DC builds. Here are some helpful posts that are first life or new player friendly or answer questions

Also, even if Warlocks have a low learning curve have good potential, that doesn't always mean you'll be successful at it. I recruit new(er) players all the time that just hate them.

Vooduspyce: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...mpanion-thread

Basic Feats: Includes List of Builds https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...-Warlock-Feats

Maximizing DPS: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...Warlock-damage
    Last edited by adrian69; 03-21-2018 at 08:39 AM.
    Drakenocas, The Sword of Mourning of KaOS of Khyber
    Triple Heroic, Epic, Iconic Completionist. Racial IP

Community Member

Thanks for the Links, will read them over before i TR.

Community Member

Why do people claim Cone is short ranged? I mean, it is shorter than Chain to be sure but you can hit Lailat from the central platform with it, so it's not nearly as short range as burst. I'd call it mid ranged I suppose since if you can see it you can hit it with most of the other ranged offerings of warlock. Chain is great, but if you are doing say the Haunted Halls or ToEE, Cone is fantastic.

Also, I just did 3 Slarden Wiz/Fighter/monk wraith builds, one to 30, 2 to 20, and it was great, maybe my most survivable character in the 18-20 range, and I just did IC Blunt and used Staves, Bone Crusher worked very well for that last gasp before TRing. That build does ramp up slowly, but is helped if you have a few of the low level staves with Int to damage before you can get to Harper tree without nerfing yourself too badly.
    Last edited by Whitering; 03-21-2018 at 02:09 PM.