Default R10 Endgame Barb

Hi all,

Since reaper came out, I played mostly as tank and caster in high skulls content. This is my first R10 melee build and I have to say I'm having a lot of fun with it. I see few barbs on Cannith in these days, and I think they deserve more love...

To be honest, this build is pretty straightforward. I just tried to take advantage of everything a barbarian has to offer in R10 endgame content.

First of all, Visage of Terror. Visage is an awesome ability, often underrated. Dwarf Ravagers are generally perceived to be flavour only builds…
    In my experience, Visage works wonder even in R10 content. And I have ‘only’ 120 Constitution because I play in LD and I do not want to give up dps or tactics to achieve a sky-high Constitution score. My Visage display says 75 DC, but I suspect it’s actually more: I kill mobs in content where casters with 90+ enchant DC struggle.

Apart Visage, other barbarian strengths imho are:
    - 4000+ hp. Combined with 250-300 PRR you can take some hits.
    - Hamp and Self-Heal. Yeah. Self-Heal. The kill portion of Blood Strength don't scale with skulls. I heal myself for 240-340 hp per kill on r10. Not game changing, but still good to have.
    - Decent DPS, really good vs multi-target. I reach 360+ melee power with damage boost on.
    - Improved uncanny dodge
    - +15% vs helpless and knockdown immunity (Ravager Tier 5)

Here my choices:

Feats
    Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Completionist, THF, ITHF, GTHF, IC Slashing, OC, PTHF, Epic DR, Toughness, Dire Charge, Epic Toughness, Scion of Arborea

Enhancements
    https://imgur.com/a/iwms8
    I spent 43 points in Ravager (capstone and all the tier 5 goodies), 31 in FB (Death Frenzy), 18 in Dwarf (TYWA). 92 total. 10+ racial AP are highly recommended.
    I also tried a different split with a minor investment in FB and Harper for KtA, equipping crypt + adherent sets. I chose Tier 5 FB mainly for gear reasons (see below).

Destiny
    https://imgur.com/a/L3iNo
    No choice here: LD is a must have. Blitz and +50% damage to helpless opponents are too good to pass. And reduced Action Boost cooldowns increase the effectiveness of Prowess melee power boost (10 sec every 20 sec)

Twists
    When I’m in a good party with all roles covered, I slot Sense Weakness, Grim Precision, Meld into Darkness, Primal Scream (4-3-3-1).

U37 Equipment
    Helm - Legendary Executioner Helm (Insightful Deception +7, Relentless Fury, Seeker 17, Quality Combat Mastery +4, Green Augment Slot [False Life +40])
    Goggles - LGS (PMO, PMO, PMO, Nightshield)
    Trinket - Bloodrage Chrism (Crypt Raider Set Unnatural Items, Calamitous Blows , Bloodrage Defense
    Rune-Fueled Warding, Blood Rage, Profane Well Rounded, Blue Augment Slot [Good Luck +2], Green Augment Slot [Resistance +8])
    Armor - Legendary Coat of the Traveler (Fortification +202%, Parrying +9, Physical Sheltering +50, Insightful Resistance +7, Blue Augment Slot [+2 Armor Max Dex Bonus])
    Necklace - Legendary Ward-Inscribed Pendant (Quality Curse Resistance +3, Deadly +16, Constitution +19, Natural Armor +19, Yellow Augment Slot [+250 Spell Points])
    Cloak - Legendary Cowl of the Giant Warriors (Insightful Combat Mastery +7, Speed +30, Physical Sheltering +45, Insightful Deadly +6, Green Augment Slot [Feather Falling])
    Bracers - Legendary Bracers of the Fallen Hero (Strength +19, Insightful Constitution +9, Stunning +22, Quality Physical Sheltering +12, Green Augment Slot [Dexterity +8])
    Belt - LGS (NMO, NMO, NMO)
    Gloves - Molten Silver Gauntlets (Feat: Pierce Silver, Deadly +16, Doublestrike 23%, Armor-Piercing - 32%, Blue Augment Slot [Wisdom +8], Green Augment Slot [Draconic Soul Gem])
    Ring - Legendary Ring of Prowess (Deadly +14, Accuracy +28, Melee Power +8, Ranged Power +8, Green Augment Slot [Vitality +20])
    Ring - Ring of Shadows (Hide +20, Move Silently +20, Lesser Displacement, Ghostly, Yellow Augment Slot [Globe of True Imperial Blood])
    Boots - SL (Sheltering +45, Deception +14, Vertigo +20, Quality Constitution +4, Green Augment Slot [The Master's Gift])
    Weapon - Torn, That which renders despair (+15 enhancement bonus, Fetters of Unreality, Improved Destruction, Insightful Armor-Piercing +15, Metalline, Orange Augment Slot [Positive +138], Red Augment Slot [Good]) Sentient: Prowess 5 set, Blood Feast 2 set.
    Weapon swap - LGS Affirmation Greataxe (+150 positive +50 hamp, Good Blast), LGS Ice Greataxe

Most of my items have reaper/mythic bonuses. I don’t have a Legendary Executioner Helm with +2 reaper stat bonus yet...

Defense Quick summary (reaper):
    • HP (in Reaper): 4,033
    • Physical Resistance Rating (PRR): 292 (74.49% damage mitigation)
    • Magical Resistance Rating (MRR): 112 (52,83% damage mitigation)
    • Dodge 14%, Displacement 25%, Ghostly 10%
    • Healing Amplification: 263
    • Fortitude Save: 101
    • Reflex Save: 63
    • Will Save: 58

Offense quick summary (reaper):
    • Sustainable Dire Charge DC: 133
    • Sustainable Visage DC: 75
    • Melee Power: 361 (with damage boost and prowess melee bonus up)
    • Doublestrike: 42.17%

Barbarians are in a good spot in high skulls content.

I don’t have personal video footage but you can see my barb in action here:

That was one of my first r10 runs with barb and my equip was incomplete at the time.

Any questions and suggestions are welcome.
    Last edited by Gilga1; 03-16-2018 at 12:29 PM.
    Tronko - Ascendance - Cannith

Very impressive setup with astronomical defensive attributes - especially as a barbarian. I do have a few inquiries, though:

With a heavy investment into constitution, with an ability to utilize your constitution modifier over strength to relay damage onto targets, how high are you getting your attack bonus to? Obviously, barbarians receive an almost-equivalent bonus to strength, though, a difference in this magnitude (also considering how barb trees lack "weapon training" abilities and so forth that give + to hit and damage) might put a number on your DPS with the frequency of grazing blows and misses; this may be something a strength-specialized half-orc could reign supreme in (with more helpless amplification), but that 4,000 hp though

On top of this, it'd be nice to look into a Blood Feast (5-Piece) swap; which can be utilized as a secondary affirmation swap that activates upon using rage, which, as a barbarian, only adds to the gargantuan HP pool they'd have to chop through to get you. Considering the amount of rage charges you possess (despite heavy consumption via Visage) it'll put you that much closer to invulnerability.

Taking Blood Trail and Athletics in the Frenzied Berserker tree is something I find interesting. Supreme Cleave only costs 10 hp to activate, which, with a HP pool in that amount, is infinitesimally minute - using 3 APs to mitigate the HP fallout seems a bit wasted, in my opinion. Since you're using Torn, That Which Renders Despair, your die size is a colossal [1d12+6]; wouldn't it be a better idea to invest into Exhausting Strike or Cracking Attack to give yourself an arsenal of +[W] attacks to annihilate mobs with your axe? Although the stat debilitation is scaled down in reaper, equipping yourself with lots of die-increasing strikes is extremely lethal, and will smash mobs down the scale in reaper.

Your Visage of Terror will almost never be saved, because it's a wisdom modifier check instead of will; it's extremely advantageous despite the unclear elaboration in the ability description - which means mobs will either need to be the wisest sensei in existence, or be erased from it when you come barging through

Overall, excellent build. Well done!
    Last edited by Symbiont; 03-16-2018 at 09:39 PM.

Thanks for your feedback! You scored very good points.

Quote Originally Posted by Symbiont View Post
    With a heavy investment into constitution, with an ability to utilize your constitution modifier over strength to relay damage onto targets, how high are you getting your attack bonus to?
    Yeah, grazing hits are a problem. I'm sitting at +131 attack bonus when raging, +126 with Power Attack on. I can't manage to fit an insightful accuracy item in my gear setup. I could use CC goggles but I don't want to give up LGS set, or Legendary band of insightful commands... Also I'm considering investing in LD Attack Boost.

On top of this, it'd be nice to look into a Blood Feast (5-Piece) swap; which can be utilized as a secondary affirmation swap that activates upon using rage, which, as a barbarian, only adds to the gargantuan HP pool they'd have to chop through to get you. Considering the amount of rage charges you possess (despite heavy consumption via Visage) it'll put you that much closer to invulnerability.
    That's would be amazing if Visage counted as rage activation... but whatever i'll try this out

Taking Blood Trail and Athletics in the Frenzied Berserker tree is something I find interesting. Supreme Cleave only costs 10 hp to activate, which, with a HP pool in that amount, is infinitesimally minute - using 3 APs to mitigate the HP fallout seems a bit wasted, in my opinion. Since you're using Torn, That Which Renders Despair, your die size is a colossal [1d12+6]; wouldn't it be a better idea to invest into Exhausting Strike or Cracking Attack to give yourself an arsenal of +[W] attacks to annihilate mobs with your axe? Although the stat debilitation is scaled down in reaper, equipping yourself with lots of die-increasing strikes is extremely lethal, and will smash mobs down the scale in reaper.
    oops, I uploaded the wrong screenshot
    I just edited the orginal post with my actual enhancements.
    Still, I'm using Blood Trail. I'm spamming Supreme Cleave and I'm not a big fan of Crackling attack/Exhausting Blow for THF. I already have a lot of special attacks to rotate (Dire Charge, Great Cleave, Cleave, Supreme Cleave x2, Momentum Swing, Lay Waste and Slaughter)
    Anyway, I'm still testing different options, so I'll try this too

Your Visage of Terror will almost never be saved, because it's a wisdom modifier check instead of will
    Lol, good to know. Now makes sense to me...

Obviously, barbarians receive an almost-equivalent bonus to strength, though, a difference in this magnitude (also considering how barb trees lack "weapon training" abilities and so forth that give + to hit and damage)
    Barbs receive to-hit bonuses and damage of up too +6 with Ravager Core 1 based on missing a target. Laughter adds 3 stacks and core 4 or 5 tosses up 3 stacks on rage. It's pretty easy to keep up 2-4 stacks consistently. Though I do like the system, it's not great in current meta and needs to be doubled or to have +8 with +4 static maybe with core 4 or 5. OTOH, the Crackling Attack line can add +1-4 [W] for 15 out of 18 seconds depending on Fighting Styles (Ofc TWF can only obtain the 4th stack after level 26 w/ PTWF), 2 Stacks in epics is pretty average. If DS is high enough SWF can cause 3 stacks. Never figured out why.
    Last edited by adrian69; 03-16-2018 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Corrected information

Default Awesome job

Quote Originally Posted by Gilga1 View Post
    Thanks for your feedback! You scored very good points.

Yeah, grazing hits are a problem. I'm sitting at +131 attack bonus when raging, +126 with Power Attack on. I can't manage to fit an insightful accuracy item in my gear setup. I could use CC goggles but I don't want to give up LGS set, or Legendary band of insightful commands... Also I'm considering investing in LD Attack Boost.

That's would be amazing if Visage counted as rage activation... but whatever i'll try this out

oops, I uploaded the wrong screenshot
    I just edited the orginal post with my actual enhancements.
    Still, I'm using Blood Trail. I'm spamming Supreme Cleave and I'm not a big fan of Crackling attack/Exhausting Blow for THF. I already have a lot of special attacks to rotate (Dire Charge, Great Cleave, Cleave, Supreme Cleave x2, Momentum Swing, Lay Waste and Slaughter)
    Anyway, I'm still testing different options, so I'll try this too

Lol, good to know. Now makes sense to me...

Looks decent. I'm thinking about trying to see if pure can handle endgame as well. Barbs and druids are my favorite classes, but both have been down in the dumps for far too long. Getting ready to probably take a barb up to 20 for my final dragonborn life. Only 4 races left afterward. It can't happen quick enough.

2 feats for 72 hp? (or 85 with the leg gs set) why? i guess melees needs better epic feats
    That bonus to hit seems really low, how do you justify 2hf with that?

Is it possible to go full h-orc and take all the helpless damage you can get (since R8+ usually has CC)

How much millage are you getting out of double strike, since you're a cleaving melee?

Is dwarf required, couldn't any race get 2,5k hp pre reaper with that set (and same gear&tomes) and hide behind the cc while using the 2X 1000hp (leg conf GS&bloodfeast) to stay alive?
    Str is a far easier stat to boost.
    How does a build like this work in raids? i assume visage isn't killing bosses, how is the actual dps?
    How do you keep up the number of rages in a prolonged raid? (elite hut/stradh)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    I play a guy with a two-hander not just in this game, but in every game that has 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-mann View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but then can you make 2hf NOT suck so much compared to 2wf or swf?
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    8 pages in, that train has already sailed. The dead horse is canned into cat food by now.

2015 DDO Players Council Sebastrd's Avatar

After watching the video, I want to see your fighter's build.
    Astreya the Unturning

It's always a shame when the hammer of poor design choices smashes the fun of player tactical adaptation.

Community Member

That was an interesting write-up. It's good to see people succeeding with classes that most people won't play in higher skulls content, so well done.

We have a few people running these builds on Khyber now, and its popularity seems to be slowly improving. The build seems effective at clearing trash in reaper content, but what I've been wondering is how good they are at DPS against bosses compared to other barbarian and melee builds in general. I don't feel like I've seen enough myself to gauge that accurately, particularly with some of them running in US and also with me being unsure about how they were geared.

Have you done any testing of this build, or can you provide an impression of how it compares to others at that particular task? If so, could you (or other experienced barbarian players) offer an opinion about this?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lyrecono View Post
    How much millage are you getting out of double strike, since you're a cleaving melee?
    You can't cleaving only. Doublestrike works on regular attacks and some special attacks like Momentum swing that I use very often.

Is dwarf required, couldn't any race get 2,5k hp pre reaper with that set (and same gear&tomes) and hide behind the cc while using the 2X 1000hp (leg conf GS&bloodfeast) to stay alive? Str is a far easier stat to boost.
    I think a large number of melee builds can succeed in r10, and for sure you can easily get 120+ Str.
    I explained the advantages of this build in the first post, and they are Visage (no fail CC and some kills), survival capacity (staying alive is important, i.e. to keep blitz up), decent single target dps, good/excellent multi target dps. Can you have more dps? Sure you can.

How does a build like this work in raids? i assume visage isn't killing bosses, how is the actual dps?
    How do you keep up the number of rages in a prolonged raid? (elite hut/stradh)
    Until now, on Cannith I only played Strahd and Baba R1. Obviously R1 is a cakewalk for R10 capable toons. Visage kills wisps on Baba and orange shadows on Strahd.
    Actual dps, as I wrote, is decent vs single target and good/excellent vs groups. I'm THF, melee power range is 231-361 (with damage boost and prowess bonuses on)

Quote Originally Posted by blerkington View Post
    ...particularly with some of them running in US and also with me being unsure about how they were geared.
    Imho, a melee dps can't play in US and be effective. LD it's infinitely better...

Quote Originally Posted by blerkington View Post
    Have you done any testing of this build, or can you provide an impression of how it compares to others at that particular task? If so, could you (or other experienced barbarian players) offer an opinion about this?
    In my experience, DPS against bosses is decent. Vs usual barbs, I just miss the FB capstone. Generally speaking, I think THF is in a good spot and, in my opinion, you can avoid some boss cleaves while THF.

Banging my head against a wall, cause the named item didn'the drop.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...an-for-Damonzz

Here is a link you may find interesting. I ran a Visage flavor build last year that I did exceptionally well with in R10 runs. I got my con up to a temp 138 for periods of about 30 seconds, and that was without an optimized gear set. Damonez took it one step further adding mass frog, which I think is a stroke of genius. I am currently working my way up on a Barb build now to test a mix of the ideas. But Visage is definitely well worth the investment.
    Proud member of the ArchAngels guild, Thelanis.
    Policegirl Killz, Porklord Meatfield, Pilfering Pirate.

Community Member

How do you get 2 supreme cleaves? One with a 3 second CD and one with a 6 second CD cant see the enhancement for that