Hero, Mo Bro H'ro, & MB Super-H'ro ComicRelief's Avatar

Default What? No Mention of Pi-Day?

Or did I miss it? Happy Pi-day! Go have some pie to celebrate.

{Maybe someday 'tau-ist' will actually have a desert they can celebrate with. Until then, Pi-day will always be the better day.}
    "...At least it tells us they understand our language; they're just not willing to speak to us in it. -Who knew they were French?"

Quote Originally Posted by ComicRelief View Post
    Or did I miss it? Happy Pi-day! Go have some pie to celebrate.

{Maybe someday 'tau-ist' will actually have a desert they can celebrate with. Until then, Pi-day will always be the better day.}
    Well today is Also Albert Einsteins birthday, and today Stephen Hawking passed away.

Community Member Riddle_of_Steel's Avatar

As much as I love Pie (and Pi) I would say that it MORE IMPORTANTLY is Einstein's Birthday and the day we lost Hawking.

But then again I have been accused of being irrational.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiliconScout View Post
    DDO was my MMO of choice because it didn't require a lot of mindless grind back in the day. Now it's my MMO of choice due to inertia and apathy.
    How to Provide Actionable Feedback

If I'm reading forums, i'm usually on the train.

Quote Originally Posted by Riddle_of_Steel View Post
    As much as I love Pie (and Pi) I would say that it MORE IMPORTANTLY is Einstein's Birthday and the day we lost Hawking.

Agreed. Plus it only works as pi day if you write dates backwards like in America. Over here it makes no sense.

Double plus - I celebrated pi day in '15 so no pi day is going to be as special for another 97 years...
    Took me several years to get around to registering for the forum... Don't believe the join date. I am not a new noob. I am an old noob and long time lurker.

The Hatchery
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Stingae View Post
    Agreed. Plus it only works as pi day if you write dates backwards like in America. Over here it makes no sense.
    One could argue that saying "March 14th" and writing "3/14" is less backwards than "14/3". Or do you lot say "14th March" when speaking? *g* (From a filing standpoint, year/month/day makes the most sense... but short of that, month/day/year makes more sense than day/month/year.)
    "Ignorance killed the cat, sir; curiosity was framed."
    Tripoint, C.J. Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by LrdSlvrhnd View Post
    One could argue that saying "March 14th" and writing "3/14" is less backwards than "14/3". Or do you lot say "14th March" when speaking? *g* (From a filing standpoint, year/month/day makes the most sense... but short of that, month/day/year makes more sense than day/month/year.)
    It just depends on what you're used to, which country your in. Neither "makes more sense." One is something you're familiar with, the other is foreign.

One could argue that saying "March 14th" and writing "3/14" is less backwards than "14/3". Or do you lot say "14th March" when speaking?
    Yes... We say "The 14th of March" most of the time in the UK, therefore writing 3/14 would definitely be backwards (9/11 always sounds like Americans are referring to the 9th of November).

(From a filing standpoint, year/month/day makes the most sense... but short of that, month/day/year makes more sense than day/month/year.)
    When filing and naming electronic files/folders YYYY/MM/DD is the standard in electronic document management as, no matter where files and folders are moved or sent, they will always appear in date order when sorted by name.
    Short of that...
    Day - small unit of time
    Month - medium unit of time
    Year - large unit of time

Small < Medium < Large, so DD/MM/YYYY is the standard that most of the world uses, if they are not using YYYY/MM/DD.

MM/DD/YYYY does not "make more sense" than DD/MM/YYYY it is just the convention used by the USA. There's nothing wrong with a country sticking with what it is used to or prefers, but maintaining that the order Medium/Small/Large "makes more sense" than Small/Medium/Large is a very odd logical conclusion.
    Bettayne Brah'dukcc, Cleric of Lathander
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life

For DDO Queries, check out ddowiki.com; New to the game? Head to the Newbie Guide

Community Member

they would probably say the fourteenth of march. there really isn't a point in arguing it either way, just gotta deal with the confusion of dealing with people who say dates the other way. on a personal note saying the fourteenth of march sounds like a more formal way of saying it instead of march fourteenth but that's just my opinion.

As much as I am saddened by the loss of Stephen Hawking, this line made me laugh. Hooray for math humor!
    Last edited by vryxnr; 03-14-2018 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vryxnr View Post
    As much as I am saddened by the loss of Stephen Hawking, this line made me laugh. Hooray for math humor!
    Hooray that someone else got it!!! LOL

Loves me some maths!
    DDO was my MMO of choice because it didn't require a lot of mindless grind back in the day. Now it's my MMO of choice due to inertia and apathy.

Hero, Mo Bro H'ro, & MB Super-H'ro ComicRelief's Avatar

Default Fyi

Hooray that someone else got it!!! LOL

Loves me some maths!
    Oh, I got it, but I figured responding right away would seem like I was just bumping my own thread.

...kinda like now...
    "...At least it tells us they understand our language; they're just not willing to speak to us in it. -Who knew they were French?"

“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Niiiiiice!

If I'm reading forums, i'm usually on the train.

Default Boy do I feel dumb

Quote Originally Posted by vryxnr View Post
    OMG I missed it - too busy thinking how to poke fun at the cousins across the pond (In a light hearted way...though on this I think there is a better logic for the British way. If u have the date specified by three numbers I don't expect it to be the middle one which changes tomorrow. But I have to defend this one because logic does not avail my side when it cones to most spelling differences!). If it helps in the UK we can only approximate pi on the 22 July.

Well played on the pun anyway.
    Took me several years to get around to registering for the forum... Don't believe the join date. I am not a new noob. I am an old noob and long time lurker.