Community Member

Default New Player - Need Assistance

I just started playing today and would like someone to show me the basics if at all possible. I would also like to know which server best fits my region... I will be monitoring this thread for advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubl3Dipp3r View Post
    I just started playing today and would like someone to show me the basics if at all possible. I would also like to know which server best fits my region... I will be monitoring this thread for advice.
    Welcome!

Can't help you on the region since you never said which region you live in, but if you're in Ghallanda I know there's a strong NA and Euro population depending on what time you play at. There's also a lot of friendly (generally happy to help out and provide answers to players of all skill levels) guilds in Ghallanda. With work I haven't been playing enough to really commit to hanging out consistently, but I could point you in the right direction and hook you up with some people who would be on more often.

Some questions for people to give you advice:

Do you know roughly what kind of character you want to play? As in a melee, a bow/crossbow user, a magic user?

Going from there, what kind of melee/bow/magic user? Melees and ranged characters can vary a lot, and magic users do as well. Stealthy, AoE (Area of Affect), single target, crowd control, instakills....lots of options

I would suggest not going pure healer as a first character at least, as pure healers are not as needed as they have been in the past. They can be useful sometimes, but generally are used more for guild runs. You want to be able to kill things even without other people being around
    Kestros, Shintao Monk
    Leader of The Shadowtouched, Ghallanda
    Member of the Tyrs Fellowship

Community Member

I am currently trying a Light Cannon Cleric, I live in NA and i joined the Wayside Server.

Community Member

Default Welcome

Welcome to DDO!!

If you're familiar with D&D, then most of your guildlines for character building are the same. If you're not, then a basic concept to know is multi-clasing a character and all the limits that entails. All builds need some/lots of planning, and here is a great place to start that research:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Enhancements

....look at what race will synergize with what class, and if multiclassing, which extra classes will help make you better/stronger/faster/smarter/etc.

Keep in mind this is not D&D, and in that I mean it is almost all combat, all the time...so the better/stronger/faster/smarter/etc. your character can get, the better. And while stats like Wisdom or Dexterity are very important, so too are skills...here's another link:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Skills

And here is an outdated but still awesome reference for builds that have been well thought-out and tested, in which you can template your own off:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ild-Repository

Have fun and I hope you find some good people to play with!

welcome!
    Axel had som youtube vids for new players—that will be the easiest resource for you (AxelDDO)
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist), Naerfelka (farmer), Saelegion (parked at level 4!)

2014 DDO Players Council

...i joined the Wayside Server.
    If you mean Wayfinder, that might not be an ideal choice. The server populations of the other servers vary somewhat, but Wayfinder has far, far fewer people than any other server.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    As a general rule we don't intend for a single spawn area to cause any dungeon alert, and certainly not red dungeon alert. This basically isn't ever a goal in our designs

I just started playing today and would like someone to show me the basics if at all possible.
    Welcome!

"The basics"... wow. That will be either a long discussion, or an unsatisfying one, I'm afraid. So many topics, so many comments.

However, I can give you this starting advice...

1) Basically, to start, just play the game, and learn by doing. Jump right in and run around, die, laugh, play the game. Very few players keep their very first effort - just too unlikely to be exactly what you're looking for. The game's pre-set "paths" (offered for the diff classes) are not great builds, but they'll get you started, and you can play a similar class to get a feel for it while deciding what actual final character build you want to try (see #4, below).

2) Don't buy anything (more) until you're sure you like the game (but I bet you will). Lots of "free" stuff can be earned via in-game play. (And when you do buy, with real cash or DDO Points (see#6, below), wait for stuff to be On Sale!)

3) As you go, you can ask questions in /chat by using the /advice channel. Just type "/advice" and then your question - lots of players enjoy helping, it's (usually/mostly) a very friendly community.

4) DDO is NOT D&D. Or, more accurately, it's not any "edition" you've ever seen/played. The atmosphere is the same, the "feel" of the play from tabletop to video game is a great translation, but it's not identical, and in some ways not even close. Especially (and, for new players, right out of the gate) character design and building. Your favorite character design from tabletop D&D could easily be a complete fail here, and vice versa - but something unexpected might give you the same feel! Use a forum-approved build - one that has been submitted for public review, and is given the "Yeah, that'll work!" reaction by veterans.

Start here: Build Repository They're all solid, reliable, proven(!) builds for that character class/mix.

(As to "Which character should I run?", see #1, above.)

5) Use the DDOWiki for basic questions (and take note of "basic" category links in the header there) - not because we won't answer "basics" here, but just because it's just faster, and by surfing links you'll find answers to important related questions you didn't think to ask. If you can't find the answer right away, or have additional questions, then come on back, np. Forum community is just as friendly as the in-game one.

6) If you are true Free-to-Play, you have 3 character slots on 8 servers to play with, and there's a good reason to play a little bit on each and every server. You can try a different build on each one, take the class out for a test-drive, test that server community, and decide for yourself which server/character is best for you.

7) Once in-game, open the social panel (press "o" in-game), and join a group. Not one on "Reaper", but any other one. Some go (too) fast for a new player, so feel free to drop and try another. Tell them you're new, and some will slow down, or be honest up front and tell you they may not be the best group for you to learn.

Or, use the link (bottom left on that panel) to form your own group to suit your tastes! Chances are good there are others that will join.

8.) Once you've played a bit, then do come on back and ask more questions, all good.

And good luck, and haff fun stomin da cassul!
    o/
    Last edited by C-Dog; 09-02-2019 at 12:31 AM.