Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Hi all! Help me with a survey?

Hi folks,
    I'm working on my Ph.D. and need to collect some survey data from DDO players. It doesn't matter how long you have played, every response helps.
    It is a general knowledge survey that I will use as a backdrop for my project. It doesn't matter if you are a native English speaker either, everyone is welcome!
    I will only collect some basic demographic information about your language use, how often you play DDO, and your gender, no other demographic information will be kept.
    I will be using this data to compare how my participants progress through DDO over several gaming sessions.
    Thank you for your help!!
    Here is the link to the survey. (It'll take 10-15 minutes to complete.)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FQW9MBK

Question #9 has two acceptable answers.

Question #14 has 3 answers.

Question #30 is poorly written.

Question #32 is poorly written.

Question #37 is poorly written/has 2 answers.

Question #40 picture (C) should be replaced.

Question #49 answer field should be formatted so that it is the same as all previous answer fields.

Question #50 has no possible answer. Question or answer(s) need to be changed. All answers are possible to find on named or random loot.

p.s. I actually didn't know about Q. #33.
    Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post
    They have been tweaking the game since I started and often I disagree with them. They focus on wrong stuff, over or under compensate and abandon too much stuff. Every once in awhile they get something right, if only temporarily.

Community Member

Default Thank you!

I've been staring at these for too long. Thank you!
    Editing them now.

Ok, I've taken a look and made a few changes. Thank you for bringing these to my attention.

Here's how I adjusted the questions.
    #9: added "in Eberron". Technically based on the in-game lore, they are cousins. (I always thought that was strange too) Changed the confusing one.
    #14: Changed "probably" to "generally". Not a perfect solution, based on a couple of outlier builds that I have seen, but the question does seperate groups of players.
    #30: Changed "attribute" to "prefix". Again, not a perfect solution now that Mithral is out of the drop tables. (That one is still in waterworks, isnt it?)
    #32: I didn't change this one. MFP is medium.
    #37: I added "the Boss". I was trying to be too clever and tricksy. Thank you.
    #40: (42?) Yeah, I have to dig up another one to use. I can see how that would get confusing. Should be ok now.
    #49: Removed the redundancy. (Is that what you meant?)
    #50: I had a hard time with this one. Based on this page: http://ddowiki.com/page/Update_29_ra...generated_loot There are still limitations to what can appear on items. It is really broad now, but it isn't entirely random. (Has this changed? Can you point me at a page or a screenshot?)

Huge thank you to AbyssalMage.

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    Question #9 has two acceptable answers.

Question #14 has 3 answers.

Question #30 is poorly written.

Question #32 is poorly written.

Question #37 is poorly written/has 2 answers.

Question #40 picture (C) should be replaced.

Question #49 answer field should be formatted so that it is the same as all previous answer fields.

Question #50 has no possible answer. Question or answer(s) need to be changed. All answers are possible to find on named or random loot.

p.s. I actually didn't know about Q. #33.
    Last edited by kansai; 02-27-2018 at 06:56 AM. Reason: More info

Done. Good Luck!
    Protect the Silver Flame at all costs!

Community Member

Default Thank you!

Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Inanout View Post
    Done. Good Luck!

Done. I PMed you some more detailed thoughts (and concerns about 2 questions) so as to not spoil anything/give away answers.
    Last edited by vryxnr; 02-27-2018 at 10:21 AM.

done
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight Templar of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist); Parked Toons: Katwoemyn (10), Saelegion (4), Alitirala (eventually 17)
    wounded and burnt from many mistakes and still stumbling!

This isn't so much a survey as it is a quiz. js.
    "Shut up and die like a wizard"

Community Member

Default dark images

Had issues seeing some of the images pictures very dark,
    I did complete it though.

Quote Originally Posted by kansai View Post
    Hi folks,
    I'm working on my Ph.D. and need to collect some survey data from DDO players. It doesn't matter how long you have played, every response helps.
    It is a general knowledge survey that I will use as a backdrop for my project. It doesn't matter if you are a native English speaker either, everyone is welcome!
    I will only collect some basic demographic information about your language use, how often you play DDO, and your gender, no other demographic information will be kept.
    I will be using this data to compare how my participants progress through DDO over several gaming sessions.
    Takes like 5 or 6 mins to do, just to give a better indication. Maybe more for someone newer to the game, but it's all pretty obvious if you know it, and if you don't then you don't. More of a quiz than a survey too lol
    Kestros, Shintao Monk
    Leader of The Shadowtouched, Ghallanda
    Member of the Tyrs Fellowship

I'm interested in what use this data is. As tralfaz81 noted, from a DDO perspective it is more like a quiz.
    A lot of the questions are general knowledge that most people using the forums would know about DDO. Many of them are also things that people with no knowledge of DDO but a passing knowledge of D&D would know or be able to work out/accurately guess.
    You haven't asked for geographical location or income bracket, which could impact the cultural knowledge of participants (impacting the answers given by non-DDO players). Number of hours per week (asked) is not hugely useful in terms of DDO knowledge unless paired with Number of Years playing (not asked) - you could end up drawing false conclusions by having one without the other.
    Are you using the DDOForums answers as a control pool, of what people who play the game can be expected to know, then comparing this with the results from your group with IDs (who you may have more demographic data on for further analysis)?
    Bettayne Brah'dukcc, Cleric of Lathander
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life

For DDO Queries, check out ddowiki.com; New to the game? Head to the Newbie Guide

Quote Originally Posted by kansai View Post
    Hi folks,
    Sure just as soon as you give me the profits mr moaw.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Community Member

Some of the questions didn't make sense.

A memorable one was about Vorpal weapons changing the colour of monsters. I've never seen anything like that in game.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffWatson View Post
    Some of the questions didn't make sense.

A memorable one was about Vorpal weapons changing the colour of monsters. I've never seen anything like that in game.
    It happens. The question makes sense. A player who plays only casters might never really notice it, or know the significance of the color change if they do notice it. But one who plays in groups and uses a mic will probably know the answer even though they do not themselves use vorpal weapons.

Community Member the_one_dwarfforged's Avatar

"effect" in at least two of the questions should be "affect"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    By the way, sorry for the folks I dropped the death cube on. Except I'm not sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by DDOTalk71 View Post
    Due to the rising costs of OlladraCare, the Coin Lords laid off Mari and outsourced her job to foreigners.

#MakeStormreachGreatAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by changelingamuck View Post
    Class balance isn't a black-or-white...issue...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom116 View Post
    Takes like 5 or 6 mins to do, just to give a better indication. Maybe more for someone newer to the game, but it's all pretty obvious if you know it, and if you don't then you don't. More of a quiz than a survey too lol
    Assuming this is a legit thing and not some kind of spam, they are probably planning on taking a team of people through the game to see how long it takes them to familiarize themselves with certain things. Possibly testing various methods of introduction to test for learning speed, information retention, etc. There are all kinds of variables that could be tested this way for all kinds of purposes.

Asking forum players to take the survey helps establish a baseline for what a "skilled" answer would look like.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBlonde View Post
    Assuming this is a legit thing and not some kind of spam, they are probably planning on taking a team of people through the game to see how long it takes them to familiarize themselves with certain things. Possibly testing various methods of introduction to test for learning speed, information retention, etc. There are all kinds of variables that could be tested this way for all kinds of purposes.

Asking forum players to take the survey helps establish a baseline for what a "skilled" answer would look like.
    I'm definitely interested in knowing the reasons behind it. I can see lots of possibilities and now my brain is insisting on being overly curious!
    Bettayne Brah'dukcc, Cleric of Lathander
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life

For DDO Queries, check out ddowiki.com; New to the game? Head to the Newbie Guide

Community Member

Default Good questions

First, thank you to everyone for taking the time to take the test/survey/quiz/questionnaire.
    I'll start with the last question and move my way back to the top. Yes, the DDOforums is functioning as my control pool. If someone plays for X number of hours per week, they are likely to know Y about the game. I decided not to collect number of years (I probably should have, just to have it), since the correlation between number of hours per week was strong enough to explain what I was looking at. Same with location and income, they aren't factors for the narrow range of information I need. On to that top question... and why the forum responses were really invaluable for me. For us, players who have been playing for even a short amount of time, the questions were (mostly) pretty easy. (I had a few that needed to be adjusted, but they have smoothed out for the most part.) For the general public, some of the questions were guessable or the right answer was chosen at random. In western countries, a few people were able to get a couple of right answers (based on how they answered all of the questions, the correct answers can be attributed to random guesses). But my participant group doesn't have that western, pop-culture, swords and sorcery background. It's just not in the atmosphere here the way it is back home (I am an expat, and have lived in my current location for more than 15 years, originally from the US.) So, my group doesn't have these creatures and items in the depths of their passive vocabulary. Also, the local native language doesn't have direct analogs of the words either. So, (for those interested in linguistics) these are essentially made-up (faux, nonce) vocabulary items. Everything they learn about these words is new: pronunciation, spelling, meaning, associations etc. And, unlike if I made words up to use, these are useful in a DDO (D&D) setting so it isn't a complete waste of time. So, in DDO, I have a set of vocabulary items that are richly embedded in the game, but my group are not likely to encounter in an academic setting and are also not likely to have significant background knowledge. (For those REALLY interested, search for the Clockwork Orange study [the original has Pitts, White, et al., a later version was done by Krashen et al., hence the title of the quiz.] ). Also, for those interested, I'm using Rasch to model the data I'm collecting. Overall, it is working surprisingly well [with one exception]. There are some Outfit problems, but it will work, based on the papers I have read.

Thank you again to everyone who has take the time to go through this beast. In particular, thank you to those who have pointed out mistakes and broken parts. My advisors aren't equipped to troubleshoot anything like this (back to my point about general knowledge of the critters), so your input has been essential. I really can't thank you all enough.

Quote Originally Posted by glmfw1 View Post
    I'm interested in what use this data is. As tralfaz81 noted, from a DDO perspective it is more like a quiz.
    A lot of the questions are general knowledge that most people using the forums would know about DDO. Many of them are also things that people with no knowledge of DDO but a passing knowledge of D&D would know or be able to work out/accurately guess.
    You haven't asked for geographical location or income bracket, which could impact the cultural knowledge of participants (impacting the answers given by non-DDO players). Number of hours per week (asked) is not hugely useful in terms of DDO knowledge unless paired with Number of Years playing (not asked) - you could end up drawing false conclusions by having one without the other.
    Are you using the DDOForums answers as a control pool, of what people who play the game can be expected to know, then comparing this with the results from your group with IDs (who you may have more demographic data on for further analysis)?

Community Member

Default Yep!

I added a more complete response below. But this is a great summary.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBlonde View Post

Community Member

Default *sigh*

No matter how hard I try, I never get these right.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by the_one_dwarfforged View Post
    "effect" in at least two of the questions should be "affect"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast