Community Member

Angry I refuse to spend another dime on DDO until the UI is fixed and modernized

(This will get burned by the residents who blindly defend the company no matter what or people who don't play other games so lemme cast Flame Shield first.)

I started playing this game when it was still called DDO: Stormreach, before it went F2P. It was my first and most-played MMORPG, and I must have put close to $5000 into it so far.

I took a break of like 4 years though, until a few months ago when I felt like picking the game up again.

The amount of new stuff to catch up to was too overwhelming. There were barely any groups (on Cannith) that wanted to help me get up to speed. Most were TRs zerging routinely through stuff, zombies numb to the grind. I tried logging in at different times, but it always seemed like a low active population.

I didn't mind, I often liked to play solo, at my own pace, anyway. I hung around for a few days, trying to figure things out.

But MAN, the user interface. God, DDO's UI feels like a macabre torture device in this day and age, SPECIALLY when there are SO many things to keep manage and track of now! It has barely changed since 10! years ago (I mean I still have my screenshots from back then.)

I saw the ads for the upcoming Ravenloft expansion and was excited. It seemed like they were preparing for an overhaul, so I hoped maybe the UI and "quality of life" would FINALLY get some long overdue love too, and decided to put DDO away again until the expansion was out.

But when I checked back yesterday, *sigh...*

We still can't snap toolbars. We still have to repeat a lot of customization on each one, like for keybinds. The chat boxes are still buggy. Many windows are still too cluttered and clunky.

And DAMN, SO. MANY. Skills and abilities! All over the place!!

Character skills. Feats. Enhancements. Epic Destinies. Item clickies. Tens of incompatible crafting systems.

My god, HOW in Torm's name do you expect to attract new players? When they have to make sense of all this mess with a UI designed for 2008?

Like, why? Why can you update the gameplay and keep adding content but you can't update the damn UI? Did the original developers depart to another plane and the code is too mysterious/scary to touch anymore?

I...just.. Can we PLEASE AT LEAST have toolbar snapping and saving UI positions and hotkeys for all characters only once?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by fizban1980 View Post
    (This will get burned by the residents who blindly defend the company no matter what or people who don't play other games so lemme cast Flame Shield first.)

I started playing this game when it was still called DDO: Stormreach, before it went F2P. It was my first and most-played MMORPG, and I must have put close to $5000 into it so far.

I took a break of like 4 years though, until a few months ago when I felt like picking the game up again.

The amount of new stuff to catch up to was too overwhelming. There were barely any groups (on Cannith) that wanted to help me get up to speed. Most were TRs zerging routinely through stuff, zombies numb to the grind. I tried logging in at different times, but it always seemed like a low active population.

I didn't mind, I often liked to play solo, at my own pace, anyway. I hung around for a few days, trying to figure things out.

But MAN, the user interface. God, DDO's UI feels like a macabre torture device in this day and age, SPECIALLY when there are SO many things to keep manage and track of now! It has barely changed since 10! years ago (I mean I still have my screenshots from back then.)

I saw the ads for the upcoming Ravenloft expansion and was excited. It seemed like they were preparing for an overhaul, so I hoped maybe the UI and "quality of life" would FINALLY get some long overdue love too, and decided to put DDO away again until the expansion was out.

But when I checked back yesterday, *sigh...*

We still can't snap toolbars. We still have to repeat a lot of customization on each one, like for keybinds. The chat boxes are still buggy. Many windows are still too cluttered and clunky.

And DAMN, SO. MANY. Skills and abilities! All over the place!!

Character skills. Feats. Enhancements. Epic Destinies. Item clickies. Tens of incompatible crafting systems.

My god, HOW in Torm's name do you expect to attract new players? When they have to make sense of all this mess with a UI designed for 2008?

Like, why? Why can you update the gameplay and keep adding content but you can't update the damn UI? Did the original developers depart to another plane and the code is too mysterious/scary to touch anymore?

I...just.. Can we PLEASE AT LEAST have toolbar snapping and saving UI positions and hotkeys for all characters only once?
    I do wish the bars would snap but it's not too hard to line them up. I don't get the UI thing, I have zero problems with it, but every character I make now I just blow out the 20 hotbars on Korthos or whatever and then load my ui layout. I do find myself mouse clicking during this game more than any other, but STO is the only one that has nearly this much stuff on various bars, I mean Lotro does as well, but this game is more. I don't mind it, it just means it's unlikely to be ported to consoles ever, which is fine by me, every other game that eventually did that (except STO, they made a console specific ui), has killed the game for me.

Community Member

I don't understand how you played the game for ?8? years and find the UI problematic. As you said, it's the same as it always was. And as I'm sure you know, once you set it up, and /ui save layout <character> then you don't have to set it up again. Or the key bindings.

I do sort of understand the massive array of new things in the game - but isn't that sort of exciting ? To explore all that? I took around 6 or 7 years off myself, and getting back into the game has been great. Tons of stuff to do and learn about. Just get stuck into it.

On Cannith - probably one of those TR zergers you had a problem with. But just follow TR zergers around until you get your lay of the land again. Hope to see you on Cannith!

Community Member

I said the same thing in 2010 because bugs and bad management of the game.

I'm still waiting...

At least i am saving money for hoo....

Community Member

Reads like you don't know the ui layout command. Fix it once and good to go.
    As someone else alluded to, I don't want a console ui with 4 skills available at a time.

The UI has aged, no doubt about it. But the things you rail about: chat window locations, locking hotbars, hot keys, aren't really the issue imo. Those are 5-10 minutes of setup per life. If you use a consistent layout on all your characters (which I do) then it becomes really easy.

If they were investing in UI changes, I'd like to see:

1) Inventory redone to be searchable and sortable. Personal Bank searchable and sortable. (Almost an AH style UI for these where you can identify weapons, armor, ingredients, etc with level range search or just do name searches) Eliminate TR Cache entirely.

2) Revamp the LFM UI/Who panel. Enhance the ability to find players and communicate with others on the server more easily to play cooperatively.

3) Revamp the Quest Journal and Adventure Compendium. Help players find content in their level range, understand story lines and which quests are linked to each other easily and show which quests I have run on which difficulties already so I know where first time bonuses are available. Track saga progress without having to run to the saga NPC. Integrate it with the LFM/Who panel to make it easy to create and find groups for content.

Things like that.

I think the UI needs updating, but not in the ways you describe. Nor am I ready to quit the game over it.
    Asheras - Velania - Renvar - Ventarya - Officer in Loreseekers and Officer of Lava Divers - Khyber

Modernizing the UI =/= less skills available.

In fact, in many cases, some having to do with scaling, it means MORE.

Also, much of this lag can be caused by running dated components, including but not limited to the UI, which rely heavily on deprecated and unsupported versions of C++ redists and Net Framework versions. When these components havent received updates in eons it not only can cause system performance issues when outdated components have to interact with modern components, but this situation also becomes a security hole that never gets patched up.

They can always put a pref in options that allows you to use the old crusty UI for those who still like it and want to cling to it as an excuse to shoot down good ideas.
    Last edited by Chai; 02-22-2018 at 10:08 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Whitering View Post
    I don't mind it, it just means it's unlikely to be ported to consoles ever, which is fine by me, every other game that eventually did that (except STO, they made a console specific ui), has killed the game for me.
    Rest assured that will never happen to DDO. We went through that debacle w/ Atari/Sony

OP, you aren't going anywhere. Thanks for the rant, now get back in-game and suck it up

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Renvar View Post
    The UI has aged, no doubt about it. But the things you rail about: chat window locations, locking hotbars, hot keys, aren't really the issue imo. Those are 5-10 minutes of setup per life. If you use a consistent layout on all your characters (which I do) then it becomes really easy.

1) Inventory redone to be searchable and sortable. Personal Bank searchable and sortable. (Almost an AH style UI for these where you can identify weapons, armor, ingredients, etc with level range search or just do name searches) Eliminate TR Cache entirely.

2) Revamp the LFM UI/Who panel. Enhance the ability to find players and communicate with others on the server more easily to play cooperatively.

3) Revamp the Quest Journal and Adventure Compendium. Help players find content in their level range, understand story lines and which quests are linked to each other easily and show which quests I have run on which difficulties already so I know where first time bonuses are available. Track saga progress without having to run to the saga NPC. Integrate it with the LFM/Who panel to make it easy to create and find groups for content.

Things like that.

I think the UI needs updating, but not in the ways you describe. Nor am I ready to quit the game over it.
    These are important things.

Angry Half and half the rest is just a bunch of antics

I tried to say this on this damn forum .. but as usual I'm not heard and I'm almost mocked or criticized or invaded by absurd motivations from a bunch of players who do not play second games other than DDO.

however, I agree partly with the op and partly with this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Renvar View Post

Things like that.

Personally one of the aspects of DDO that I do not like and the social part ... you are almost isolated all the time and find players and almost difficult .. use 2 hours (and do not tell me the excuse of the time) to find people for a dangeon and absurd, for mè lotro since they entered the chat World and globally sharped on the whole server the LFF chat and trade (that is no longer linked region but to server) now and simpler and simpler to market and find people to echo, this in DDO there is not and makes the isolated player abandoned to himself ... in DDO there is no real interaction between players and on this the op is right ... they all seem to be automata at times, but I think it's also the fault of the tour TRing that ... I've got used to it for a long time, but ... it always makes sense and it's not a very normal thing.
    "It's time for epic adventures!"

Community Member

I refuse to spend another dime on DDO unti-- OH OTTO'S BOXES ARE BACK!!!

So this is the straw that broke the camel's back? Well, I think it's safe to say, that its F2P for you from here on out. Sarcasm aside, there is so much that could be improved, but they rarely listen to the player base on quality of life issues. They did just fix the whole action boost stops you swinging and often results in death at high reaper levels snafu, so I guess what I'm saying is, don't hold your breath on anything big.

We recently had a 'youngin' join the guild, son of an existing guildy, and it wasn't more than a week before he mentioned this, hehe, those Milennials, *** is wrong with them?
    HELTER SKELTER - GLAND

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by GnPeez View Post
    I refuse to spend another dime on DDO unti-- OH OTTO'S BOXES ARE BACK!!!
    lol yep