Community Member

Default Spell-like Abilities and Spell Choices

Hey there!
    So I just realized the Sorcerer gets some SLA for elemental blasting spells from the enhancement trees.
    Aaaaaand I got some questions about it:

1) Do these SLA share a cooldown somehow?

2) If you want to build a blaster sorcerer (earth/water), do you still choose the damaging spells, when you get new ones or is it better to ignore them, because you get them as SLAs anyhow?

3) Which spells would you recommend picking as an earth-water Sorcerer?

Greetings!

Community Member

1) Sorcerer SLAs don't share cooldown with other SLAs or spells.

2) I did a couple Air / Fire / Sonic sorcerers, and I did not pick the spells I got as SLAs. Not sure about the options of an Acid/Ice sorcerer though.

3) Gonna let someone else recommend spells for such a sorcerer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kno3dl View Post
    Hey there!
    So I just realized the Sorcerer gets some SLA for elemental blasting spells from the enhancement trees.

2) If you want to build a blaster sorcerer (earth/water), do you still choose the damaging spells, when you get new ones or is it better to ignore them, because you get them as SLAs anyhow?

Greetings!
    Hi!

1) They do not share a cooldown with each other (other than the 1 second global CD for all spells), however the Cleric Domains do have some overlap that do share cooldowns with the same spell in the savant trees. Keep that in mind for a Cleric/Sorc multi, but other than that not an issue

2) Generally I'd use the SLA's, but they do have separate cooldowns from the actual spells so taking the damage spells to use (even if only unmeta'd) in between SLA's can be worthwhile. Less so in epics, but spells can swap.

3) Earth or water as the main element? Usually I also do Air/Fire as Evocation is rewarded much more in epic destinies, but doing either water or earth as a main element I'd focus Conj, possibly with a side of Evocation if you can gear for it. For spells take the buffs as a priority, displacement especially, but any conj damage spells can be handy. I'd grab web too, as it's also Conjuration.

Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    1) Sorcerer SLAs don't share cooldown with other SLAs or spells.
    True staying within the class, but just for clarity some of the elemental cleric domain SLA's do share CD with them
    Kestros, Shintao Monk
    Leader of The Shadowtouched, Ghallanda
    Member of the Tyrs Fellowship

Community Member

As previously stated, slas don't share a cooldown with their respective spells, so you could take both. Pro/con: the sla cooldown is generally 2.5-3x longer than the spell cooldown, but the sla costs fewer spellpoints and can add metamagics at no additional cost. If you can stand the longer cooldown (4/5/6 seconds when maxed out) or find other more efficient spells to add to your rotation, I'd stick with the slas. Keep in mind, you don't get the level 3 sla until level 12, and can only get 1, and it would be somewhat difficult to get 2 level 2 slas (23 ap each in 2 different trees).

Useful damage spells as you level up:

sonic blast - no save on damage, rarely resisted dmg type, large aoe, can sometimes work through walls/doors, great box breaker, daze on failed save
    magic missile - no save on damage, rarely resisted dmg, single target
    melf's - only if you don't have the sla, single target dot, takes 12 sec to deal full dmg, doesn't stack with itself or sla, no save
    scorching ray - single target, no save
    all the level 3 sla equivalents - not great dmg per sp, but good dps as you level, all save for half dmg.
    wall of fire/ice storm/acid rain - amazing dmg per spellpoint, persistent aoe dot firewall and acid rain save for half on first tick, otherwise no save.
    all the higher level save for half aoes - same as the level 3 spells: not great dmg per sp, but good dps, particularly if you have good DCs, beware mobs with evasion.
    niac's/eledar's - good single target dmg per sp dots, no save, stack up to 3 times. niac's has a bug where it gets overwritten by druid dots.
    black dragon bolt/polar ray - good single target dps and dmg per sp, no save.
    meteor swarm - good dps, not great dmg per sp, fire saves for half, blunt no save, unaffected by savant caster level increase/decrease.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kno3dl View Post
    Hey there!

1 No
    2 Yes
    3 The primary spells as any element are necro + enchantment.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 02-21-2018 at 01:54 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tom116 View Post
    Hi!

3) Earth or water as the main element? Usually I also do Air/Fire as Evocation is rewarded much more in epic destinies, but doing either water or earth as a main element I'd focus Conj, possibly with a side of Evocation if you can gear for it. For spells take the buffs as a priority, displacement especially, but any conj damage spells can be handy. I'd grab web too, as it's also Conjuration.
    Actually, most water(cold) spells are also evocation. Except for sleet storm but casting that would probably get you lynched by other players anyway!

Its only earth(acid) spells that lean towards Conjuration as far as sorcerer enhancement trees go.