Community Manager

Default Forum Log-In Link Location

As part of a larger effort to update DDO.com, we are removing the Log In link found in the upper right section of DDO.com. Since this Log In is only used to log into the Forums, we are focusing Forum Log In to the Forum pages, where they will remain unchanged.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Hero, Mo Bro H'ro, & MB Super-H'ro ComicRelief's Avatar

Default Don't Forget to look at All Pages

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    As part of a larger effort to update DDO.com, we are removing the Log In link found in the upper right section of DDO.com. Since this Log In is only used to log into the Forums, we are focusing Forum Log In to the Forum pages, where they will remain unchanged.
    Hopefully, you'll fix the "missing link" (pun intended) on some of the fora (sorry, "forums") pages. I *think* the one(s) without the "www." are affected.
    "...At least it tells us they understand our language; they're just not willing to speak to us in it. -Who knew they were French?"

oooh, i thought it was a glitch lol!
    ~Started Playing DDO - 6th June 2011 (Joined Forums In 2014)
    ~Guild - Epic Fail (Orien) Since Monday 24th July 2017
    ~What Class I Play - Swashbuckler Mix Warchanter Bard
    ~Youtube (Fansite) -
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BrandonPitney

I would take a good feng shui look at your pages and ask if they are open, friendly & welcoming or dark, obscure & off-putting
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist), Naerfelka (farmer), Saelegion (parked level 4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Annex View Post
    Hope extinguished leaves fading memories of better times.

As was stated previously above by ComicRelief [Post #2], when under default (none logged in) conditions the three following URLs won't display either "Log In" or "Register" option (JavaScript and CSS enabled):

Only the HTTPS "www" DDO forums version displays as expected; providing both the following two links: "Log In" and "Register" respectively. Ideally you should be redirecting to HTTPS, at the very least.

Regarding: "ddo.com" (under the same conditions as previously stipulated) currently only provides a sole "Register" link, i.e. no Login optional.

[...] we are removing the Log In link found in the upper right section of DDO.com. Since this Log In is only used to log into the Forums, we are focusing Forum Log In to the Forum pages, where they will remain unchanged. ...
    Assuming you [DDO entity] do remove the "Log In" link at some future date; I'll remind everyone the "best practice" and most robust method of doing that is via server-side scripting. Not (badly implemented) what may be considered misuse of CSS Display "display:none" to give the false illusion (smoke and mirrors) the link doesn't exist. When in fact those [links] do exist and are present under all logged (in/out) states.

For some bizarre reason your Web Developer(s) decided to abuse "display:none" and also apply that to both: '.not-logged-in' and '.logged-in', i.e. removing the text "Log In" and "Log Out", from the document.

As I previously stated [Forum Weirdness] it becomes problematic to Web Accessibility misusing "display:none" as its currently been applied within the DDO Forums. Typically "display:none" is meant from Printed media Documents to remove "fluff" or mostly irrelevant objects, e.g. Forum Signatures' from the printout (to save ink and paper).

A forums 'Login' and 'Logout' in essence is not presentational; its both functional and structural.

CSS is the language for describing the presentation of Web pages, including colours, layout, and fonts. It allows one to adapt the presentation to different types of devices, such as large screens, small screens, or printers. CSS is independent of HTML.

I hope your current web developers will please take notice of the last sentence in the previous paragraph. I'll presume they fully understand HTML is a structural markup language.

Also I noticed there was inline 'style' attribute in use, that method was deprecated over eight years ago... Albeit I've witnessed it used within the DDO forums, and that likely helped to contribute to the last "Forum Login" issue (mysteriously absent "Log In" link) February 2018 (as per: [Forum Weirdness]).

Standing Stone Games is based in the USA. There were nearly 40 million Americans with a disability in 2015, representing 12.6% of the civilian non-institutionalized population. I previously mentioned the potential conflicts that can occur by using "display:none" in a inappropriate fashion, i.e. regarding causing potential barriers to web accessibility.

I should not have to reiterate what I posted previously within the "Forum Weirdness thread" but will recap one of the posts, for prosperities sake, i.e. the small note.

Quote Originally Posted by DYWYPI View Post
    [...]Note: Furthermore I assume you are aware that its not "best practice" to set "display: none" as you currently have set on the 'Login link'. Because it results in it being impossible to use the Keyboard to [tab] navigate to the said link; we're assuming CSS is enabled. The element itself has been set via CSS to not appear in the document, i.e. "none" is not just a visibility (hide/show) state. In addition that can cause issues with Assistive Technologies. e.g. Screen Readers because they cannot access that object (login hyperlink) if you set it to "display: none" like you have on the DDO forums. :-/ ...
    Anyway, I hope whoever you've procured to ["remove the Log In link found in the upper right section of DDO.com"] has considered the Web Accessibility [ISO/IEC 40500:2012] plus usability implications. I also would like to think they'll will strive to apply "best practice". Rather than what unfortunately has looked to have happened in the past with the Login, e.g. ineffective CSS fudges. I wish you the best of luck with the process. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Offtopic
    Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    I would take a good feng shui look at your pages and ask if they are open, friendly & welcoming or dark, obscure & off-putting
    I would presume, they expect most of the readers to be living in dank caves at night-time hence the default theme: of text being light on a dark back background.;-)
    Small amounts of black can indicate mystery and sophistication; it holds the energy of power and protection.
    Though yes, the DDO forums should have functional: clearly defined, and visible links. :-)
    Last edited by DYWYPI; 02-23-2018 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Grammar: deprecated.

Community Manager

I will look into the /forums log in url issues reported above. The basic idea is there should not be a Login on DDO.com, but a Log In on the forums, since that's where people actually have a reason to log in. I will also pass along your writeup DYWYPI.

Just a heads up that in the relatively near future we are working to consolidate and update some of the links on the main DDO.com page. The current layout dates to 2013, and just isn't great in some areas. There are also some behind the scenes issues with keeping the pages updated well, so we're streamlining things a bit. LOTRO.com will get an update first, then DDO.com.
    Join us on Twitch!

The Hatchery
    2015 DDO Players Council

While you're at it, often if I've sat on the forums page for a few minutes (opened it and got distracted in-game, or by another page, or Discord, or whatever) when I do log in, I'm generally redirected to the homepage (ddo.com) instead of the forums page. Which is kind of annoying. And if there's no reason why one should need to login from the homepage, there's no reason why logging in should direct one there.
    "Ignorance killed the cat, sir; curiosity was framed."
    Tripoint, C.J. Cherryh

Community Member

I will look into the /forums log in url issues reported above. The basic idea is there should not be a Login on DDO.com, but a Log In on the forums, since that's where people actually have a reason to log in.
    New here, so not sure about this. Wouldn't you need to log in to buy something from the store via browser/site?

Community Manager

Quote Originally Posted by R-o-S View Post
    New here, so not sure about this. Wouldn't you need to log in to buy something from the store via browser/site?
    No, you'll either log into the game client to access the DDO Store in-game (which includes the external browser), or you'll log into your Digital River account to access the DDO Market.
    Join us on Twitch!

Community Member

while you're at it, please let us save our log in information to the forums in cookies. if we want to use this feature should not be decided by the forum's devs, but by own individuals. its not a security flaw in any way, yet a very good QoL change.
    i found myself using the forums less, because of this actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanadazia View Post
    while you're at it, please let us save our log in information to the forums in cookies. if we want to use this feature should not be decided by the forum's devs, but by own individuals. its not a security flaw in any way, yet a very good QoL change.
    i found myself using the forums less, because of this actually.
    You can have your password stored in your personal device's browser, which is somewhat better because you can assign a master password before it lets you see them in plain text. The browser auto fills your log in data, and you only have to click login once.

Long life (persistent) session cookies in some environments can be a security flaw.

Right now the mobile version of the forum is quite hard to use, every page load reverts the manual zoom. It would be nice to support some basic 1 col layout, that defaults width = device width.