Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 210
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    3,034

    Default Account shared reaper xp and racial past live = more profit and more fun

    I believe that giving players the ability to share reaper xp and racial past lives on characters on the same account would result both in more profit AND more fun if done right thus making it a win-win decision.

    I believe it should be done in the following way.
    - Any character that is to be part of the sharing needs to purchase a "shared knowledge" tome which sells for 4995 ddo points.
    - All characters on the same account that has used such a tome will share any racial past lives earned in the past and in the future as well as all racial xp now and in the future.
    - All characters that have not used such a tome are unaffected.

    This means that players can opt into the system or not as they wish using it on none, some or all of their characters. So no options are lost for any players.
    It should make it easier (possible) to maintain alts meaning more options for playing and hence likely more playing.

    It certainly gives an initial increase in earnings as anyone that wants to be part of the system needs to buy atleast two tomes.

    I also conjecture that it will mean increased earnings in the long run. Currently, most people are less likely to use Ottos boxes - on their main because doing so earns no reaper xp and on their alts because doing so still leaves the alt behind the power curve without reaper xp. After such a change using Ottos boxes on alts to earn specific past lives would be much more appealing due to the alt having the power from rxp and rpl. Also, buying xp pots could be more interesting as the effect in rxp and rpl would be for multiple characters rather than just one upping their value.

    The negative financial inpact could be on legendary raid timers as having more alts ready for raids would or could lower the desire for passes but the price for the inital "shared" tome and maybe a few Ottos boxes would counter that loss for a long time coming. On the other hand having more alts would mean a desire for more raid loot and hence more raids being run overall - which could in turn actually sell more raid passes to those with just one or fewer raid ready characters as more raids as available. So, it harder to say which way this one would go.

    Overall, I think the financial selling point would be the certain initial increase in earnings which is always good for a compary - while the pros and cons in the longer run are less clear and could result in lesser, the same or greater earnings depending on how it plays out.

    Personally, I could certainly see myself playing more, playing more characters, playing more raids and being able to group more with both friends and others because I would be less confined to just playing my "main" and hence have more options available. And in the process I could certainly see myself spending more morey rather than less as well as sticking with DDO for more years than otherwise.
    Last edited by mikarddo; 02-03-2018 at 07:52 AM.
    Danskerne
    Et dansktalende guild på Ghallanda. Send PM, hvis du er interesseret.

  2. #2
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    263

    Default

    How about making shared xp a part of the VIP subscription?

  3. #3
    Community Member Qhualor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13,709

    Default

    so buy a lifetimes worth of Ottos Boxes once per character and than continue playing just 1 character while the alts just sit their accumulating free xp and past lives? this would be nothing more than spiked sales upon release and not steady profit.
    #MakeDDOGreatAgain

    You are the one choosing not to play alts.

    Casual player now investing way less than I used to into the game, playing 1-3 months at a time and still want nothing to do with Reaper. #improvepuggrouping#alldifficultiesmatter

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    3,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thedip View Post
    How about making shared xp a part of the VIP subscription?
    That would rightfully annoy the premium players who were to provide a good part of the income too much. So, even being very much a VIP player myself I dont think that would be a good idea. Maybe to a minor degree but not fully.
    Danskerne
    Et dansktalende guild på Ghallanda. Send PM, hvis du er interesseret.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    3,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    so buy a lifetimes worth of Ottos Boxes once per character and than continue playing just 1 character while the alts just sit their accumulating free xp and past lives? this would be nothing more than spiked sales upon release and not steady profit.
    I believe I did cover that in the OP already but let me elaborate.

    It is important to note that epic, iconic and heroic past lives would not be shared and those are the ones most people are likely to buy Ottos boxes for on alts not racial past lives. As stated in the OP shared rxp and rpl would probably result in the selling of /more/ rather than fewer Ottos boxes as it would be more worthwhile to use a box on an alt than now.

    Do you know of a significant number of people that have used Ottos boxes on /alts/ to gain racial past lives? I have heard of some that used the boxes to bypass a particular race on their main but certainly none that have done so on an alt.

    The initial sale would certainly be spiked which is good (these new tomes and possibly more character storage and stat tomes) - while the steady sale of Ottos, xp pots, raid passes and what else is harder to predict but some things points toward lower sales while others point toward more sales.
    Last edited by mikarddo; 02-03-2018 at 08:39 AM.
    Danskerne
    Et dansktalende guild på Ghallanda. Send PM, hvis du er interesseret.

  6. #6
    Community Member Qhualor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13,709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikarddo View Post
    I believe I did cover that in the OP already but let me elaborate.

    It is important to note that epic, iconic and heroic past lives would not be shared and those are the ones most people are likely to buy Ottos boxes for on alts not racial past lives. As stated in the OP shared rxp and rpl would probably result in the selling of /more/ rather than fewer Ottos boxes as it would be more worthwhile to use a box on an alt than now.

    The initial sale would certainly be spiked which is good (these new tomes and possibly more character storage and stat tomes) - while the steady sale of Ottos, xp pots, raid passes and what else is harder to predict but some things points toward lower sales while others point toward more sales.
    sounds awful complicated to code for shared xp and past lives to be specific, especially suggesting including the earned racial past lives from the past. there are numerous examples of the devs unable to code things a certain way and instead have to use workarounds, like the ritual alter to upgrade named gear or have to not include named weapons coded prior to Wheloon for Sentients. it still doesn't encourage playing alts whether it be past life and xp specific or not and it still would be a lifetime supply of Ottos Boxes. even if it was just for heroic levels, that still cuts into potential sales of those boxes. if such a thing were to happen, I guarantee you that players will also want to include all past lives and xp as it has been suggested many times in the past. if it can be done specifically than it can be done for all.

    spiked sales are good sometimes if you are looking to improve your margin, to get over the hump or such. the downside to spiked sales is that it doesn't provide steady profit and can cut into other sales that do provide a steady profit line. in this situation as you suggest, I think it would cut too much into steady profit just for a boost in margin for a quarter.
    #MakeDDOGreatAgain

    You are the one choosing not to play alts.

    Casual player now investing way less than I used to into the game, playing 1-3 months at a time and still want nothing to do with Reaper. #improvepuggrouping#alldifficultiesmatter

  7. #7

    Default

    You should be able to claim a racial and a class past life during the same TR.

  8. #8
    Founder AnubisPrime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    651

    Default

    Reaper XP and PLs in general are end-game stuff. They can take years and years for the casual player to complete. I've played regularly for 12 years and I still have a long way to go. That's a long term goal for me.

    I'm fine with the way it is.
    The Old Timers Guild
    www.oldtimersguild.com
    >> Open to the Public! <<
    Founder #2231
    PROUD MEMBER OF MOURNLANDS

  9. #9
    Community Member Qhualor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13,709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    You should be able to claim a racial and a class past life during the same TR.
    That I can agree with only because of Iconics.
    #MakeDDOGreatAgain

    You are the one choosing not to play alts.

    Casual player now investing way less than I used to into the game, playing 1-3 months at a time and still want nothing to do with Reaper. #improvepuggrouping#alldifficultiesmatter

  10. #10
    Community Member Iriale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,355

    Default

    +1 to the OP. The number of past lives has grown to absurdity, and although in my opinion there should never have been reaper trees, they are another absurd tax for the viability of the alts.

    It's time to reduce the grind in this game. The devs should realize they are killing the alts.

    It's time to do something to help alts, devs.

    And not, qhualor, it is not continue playing just 1 character while the alts just sit their accumulating free xp and past lives. It's to have a toon in TR, several and cap raiding and playing with friends and pugs, several helping friends, etc. It is to be able to enjoy a more varied game and not burn yourself by doing TRs with a single character. It is to have several characters that can join lfms or make raids, and therefore improve the grouping. Some of you have very narrow views about what it means to share some past lives. Those who only want to play only one character are not harmed by this measure. But those who appreciate having alts, we like it. Achieving heroic, epic and iconic lives in each character is enough. It is an already absurd number of lives! Past racial lives and reaper experience are absurd systems that should never have been implemented. And of course it's crazy to expect all of our characters to go through that.

    Enough to focus the game on a single character.
    English is not my native language. Sorry for the mistakes.

  11. #11
    Community Member FranOhmsford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Posts
    16,531

    Default

    The OP's pricing {4995 tp per character} is INSANE!

    I'm sorry but that makes this a "Whales Only" benefit!

    It's not a strict binary where you have the option to pay or spend time accumulating - The time required is just too long and the price the OP offers is ridiculously high!


    Make it 1495 per character {Remember you pretty much have to buy it for two characters in the first place!}.

  12. #12
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Here is different food for thought, when you TR and would get no past life, lets say you do an epic TR when you already have 3 of all epic past lives. You can choose a BtA past life token that grants a past life of the type of TR you are capped on. Then you could TR with your main for a life you dont need and pass it to an alt.

    This promotes more hamster wheel, good for SSG, and builds up alts.

    Just a thought.
    Heroic - Triple All
    Racial - Triple All
    Iconic - Triple All
    Epic - Triple All

  13. #13
    Community Member Yamani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the states
    Posts
    732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    That I can agree with only because of Iconics.
    Iconics are like that because when you tr an iconic through Iconic hearts of wood you use both heroic and epic xp.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    3,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    sounds awful complicated to code for shared xp and past lives to be specific, especially suggesting including the earned racial past lives from the past. there are numerous examples of the devs unable to code things a certain way and instead have to use workarounds, like the ritual alter to upgrade named gear or have to not include named weapons coded prior to Wheloon for Sentients. it still doesn't encourage playing alts whether it be past life and xp specific or not and it still would be a lifetime supply of Ottos Boxes. even if it was just for heroic levels, that still cuts into potential sales of those boxes. if such a thing were to happen, I guarantee you that players will also want to include all past lives and xp as it has been suggested many times in the past. if it can be done specifically than it can be done for all.

    spiked sales are good sometimes if you are looking to improve your margin, to get over the hump or such. the downside to spiked sales is that it doesn't provide steady profit and can cut into other sales that do provide a steady profit line. in this situation as you suggest, I think it would cut too much into steady profit just for a boost in margin for a quarter.
    I doubt it would be complicated but then neither of us know for sure so thats a moot point. I do think though that it would be much easier to only do this for racials as those change nothing wrt. feats - its strictly racial ap, skills and stats (that do not count toward feat prereq) which only makes thing easier.

    As for your guarantee that players (I assume you mean some of) would want all past lives includes I am sure you are right that some would but I am also sure that its an irrelevant point as the players cumulatively want just about anything.

    As for it not encouraging alt play I can only note that we disagree as it would certainly do so for me if alts were thus stronger.
    Danskerne
    Et dansktalende guild på Ghallanda. Send PM, hvis du er interesseret.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    3,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    The OP's pricing {4995 tp per character} is INSANE!

    I'm sorry but that makes this a "Whales Only" benefit!

    It's not a strict binary where you have the option to pay or spend time accumulating - The time required is just too long and the price the OP offers is ridiculously high!

    Make it 1495 per character {Remember you pretty much have to buy it for two characters in the first place!}.
    Another poster thinks it would be much too powerful (and hence cheap) and you think it would be far too costly. If anything that tells me that the price is about right. I am not set on the price tag though nor obviously the one who would get to set it so I leave such minor details for the devs to consider. I think the main issue is the actual idea and the fact that it has to be paid for somehow to make it financially viable.
    Danskerne
    Et dansktalende guild på Ghallanda. Send PM, hvis du er interesseret.

  16. #16
    Community Member Iriale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    The OP's pricing {4995 tp per character} is INSANE!

    I'm sorry but that makes this a "Whales Only" benefit!

    It's not a strict binary where you have the option to pay or spend time accumulating - The time required is just too long and the price the OP offers is ridiculously high!


    Make it 1495 per character {Remember you pretty much have to buy it for two characters in the first place!}.
    I personally think that it should be free. Reaper and Racial are two over the top systems that should never have been created. But since they have been, at least not increase the gap between our alts and our main.

    Although of course it will not be free. This game was not so bad before, but now they are ready to milk their players until they get tired and decide to go somewhere else more reasonable. I wonder if they will realize that encouraging people to play and stay in the game produces long-term benefits.
    English is not my native language. Sorry for the mistakes.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    3,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    You should be able to claim a racial and a class past life during the same TR.
    I am not against that idea at all but I do not think it fundamentally solves anything wrt. alts being viable. It would, however, make it easier to catch-up for new(er) players on their main which is not in itself a bad thing
    Danskerne
    Et dansktalende guild på Ghallanda. Send PM, hvis du er interesseret.

  18. #18
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    You should be able to claim a racial and a class past life during the same TR.
    No you shouldn't, this is by design and from a business perspective makes sense.
    Heroic - Triple All
    Racial - Triple All
    Iconic - Triple All
    Epic - Triple All

  19. #19
    Community Member Iriale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikarddo View Post
    Another poster thinks it would be much too powerful (and hence cheap) and you think it would be far too costly. If anything that tells me that the price is about right. I am not set on the price tag though nor obviously the one who would get to set it so I leave such minor details for the devs to consider. I think the main issue is the actual idea and the fact that it has to be paid for somehow to make it financially viable.
    some players will never consider that there is a price too expensive when it comes to improving the alts. Some are afraid to try new systems (even if they are a success in other games), others do not want to see that there is a problem and others simply do not want to help the alts, they just want to play a character and are willing to annoy those who want more than one.

    The idea is that it is necessary to cut the brutal gap between mains and alts, the details of how to do it are debatable, but designers should be aware that reaper and racial systems have created a problem. It's time to stop ignoring it.
    English is not my native language. Sorry for the mistakes.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    3,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vorachtin View Post
    Here is different food for thought, when you TR and would get no past life, lets say you do an epic TR when you already have 3 of all epic past lives. You can choose a BtA past life token that grants a past life of the type of TR you are capped on. Then you could TR with your main for a life you dont need and pass it to an alt.

    This promotes more hamster wheel, good for SSG, and builds up alts.

    Just a thought.
    I doubt that affects many people very often so I doubt it would have a meaningful effect.
    Danskerne
    Et dansktalende guild på Ghallanda. Send PM, hvis du er interesseret.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload