Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1. #1
    Founder Krell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Holtberg, Dereth
    Posts
    1,698

    Default Amber Temple Project

    Since I enjoy Sealed in Amber, I started a project to map the door passwords and to document the location of scrolls and icons. Thanks for the contributions from everyone, including lifestakers nice write-up. I verified all the information in this post.

    Assumptions (verified):
    It appears that the location of the Holy Symbol of Ravenkind, which is needed to complete the quest, depends on the card drawn by Madam Eva.
    The passwords needed to open the doors are always the same regardless of Madam Eva's card.
    The locations of scrolls appear to be assigned randomly to preset locations that are not related to Madam Eva's card.

    Goals:
    Map the passwords needed to open each door (Done)
    Document the location for the Holy Symbol of Ravenkind for each of Madam Eva's cards (Done)
    Document the possible locations of each password scroll (Done)

    Please forgive the amateur image work .


    Map of door passwords:

    Note: If you want to activate the T3 and T4 teleports, use T2 to enter the lever room and only pull the lever on your right.



    Scroll name, possible locations, passwords needed to access it:

    Kasimir's Notes (Yantar password): Always pick it up at the entrance.

    Wish (Mrak password): Lower level, south from main room, then SE skeleton sarcophagi room. Need Yantar password to access it.
    Wish (Mrak password): Lower level, south from main room, then SW skeleton sarcophagi room. Need Yantar password to access it.
    Wish (Mrak password): Lower level, the far east room before the Shield Guardian. Need Yantar password to access it.
    Wish (Mrak password): Upper level, west hall, outside the castle room door. Need Yantar password to access it via the T1 teleporter.

    Mordenkainen (Etherna password): Upper level, first NE room. Need Yantar password to access it.
    Mordenkainen (Etherna password): Upper level, east room with Vilnius. Need Mrak password to access it.
    Mordenkainen (Etherna password): Lower level, west hall then north to Amber Sarcophagi room. Need Mrak password to access it.
    Mordenkainen (Etherna password): Lower level, west hall to far west Amber Sarcophagi room. Need Mrak password to access it.
    Mordenkainen (Etherna password): Lower level, east hall, turn south, then first east room. Need Mrak password to access it.

    Fireball (Maverus password): Upper level, west room with the model castle. Need Etherna password to access it.
    Fireball (Maverus password): Upper level, Far NE room. Need Etherna password to access it.
    Fireball (Maverus password): Lower level, west hall, south, then west to the Bedroom. Need Etherna password to access it, or Yantar if you can detect the secret door to T5
    Fireball (Maverus password): Lower level, west then south to Amber Sarcophagi room. Need Etherna password to access it.
    * Or once you have access to the Lich, cast restore on it and ask about the Library to get the Maverus password.

    Map of door passwords and possible scroll locations:

    If you are just farming for named loot:
    1. Pick up the Yantar password at the entrance and search the Mrak scroll locations.
    2. After finding Mrak, take the Upper NW hall to the Lich. Cast or scroll restore on the Lich and ask it about the library to get the Maverus password.
    3. Go to the end chest room, then north through the secret passage and use the far north Amber Sarcophagi to start the NPC sequence, which will lead to the end chest fight.

    If you want to complete the quest, you'll need to locate the Holy Symbol of Ravenkind. The location depends on the card presented by Madam Eva at the entrance.



    Location of the Holy Symbol of Ravenkind and the passwords needed to access it:

    Card name: Broken One
    Madam Eva clue: I see a secret place. I see a dead man who has forgotten his name. There is something here which is hidden from me. Magic may mend what words cannot
    Holy Symbol of Ravenkind: Upper level, NW (In the Lich room).
    Passwords needed: Yantar and Mrak, or Yantar and Maverus if you can open the secret door south of the end chest room.

    Card name: Hooded One (Updated with U38 Patch 1 changes)
    Madam Eva clue: I see a chamber of hidden malice and vigilance by fiends bound by ancient contracts.
    Holy Symbol of Ravenkind: Upper level, NW (Room south of the Lich room). A force field protects the Symbol until all Slaads are killed.
    Passwords needed: Yantar and Mrak, or Yantar and Etherna via the T3 teleporter.

    Card name: Miser (Version 1)
    Madam Eva clue: I see a room carpeted in coins of gold, and among the coins are bones of those who sought it. Beware of hidden guardians!
    Holy Symbol of Ravenkind: Lower level, NW Gold room. Note: Miser has two spawn points. The message from Madam Eva is the same.
    Passwords needed: Yantar and Maverus from the main room, or Yantar and Mrak via the upper level NW pit.

    Card name: Miser (Version 2)
    Madam Eva clue: I see a room carpeted in coins of gold, and among the coins are bones of those who sought it. Beware of hidden guardians!
    Holy Symbol of Ravenkind: Lower level, NE Gold room. Note: Miser has two spawn points. The message from Madam Eva is the same.
    Passwords needed: Yantar and Etherna from the main room, or Yantar and Maverus coming from the End Chest room on the upper level.

    Card name: Raven
    Madam Eva clue: I see a castle of parchment upon a round, wood table. I see many tomes. It is a place where a master-builder once opened his mind. Now all is fallen, crumbled, cobwebs, and lost souls.
    Holy Symbol of Ravenkind: Upper level, west (Castle room).
    Passwords needed: Yantar and Etherna (Via the T1 teleporter on the lower level)

    Card name: Soldier (Updated with U38 Patch 1 changes)
    Madam Eva clue: I see a place of rest and regrets, not within the temple itself, but somewhere near, where treachery begets scorn and misery.
    Holy Symbol of Ravenkind: Upper level, north to end chest room (Library). Take the Dimension Door that Kasimir summons after using the amber sarcophagi to the far north.
    Passwords needed: Yantar and Maverus.

    Card name: Traitor
    Madam Eva clue: I see a vault secured within the earth. Guarded by amber, duty, and fire. Beware the coward.
    Holy Symbol of Ravenkind: Upper level, NE to Amber Sarcophagi room.
    Passwords needed: Need Yantar and Etherna to access it.

    Card name: Wizard
    Madam Eva clue: I see a library, untouched by centuries. Not a page yellowed or crumbling, every one of them blank and yet covered in lies.
    Holy Symbol of Ravenkind: Upper level, north to end chest room (Library).
    Passwords needed: Need Yantar and Maverus to access it from the main room, or Yantar and Etherna if you can open the secret door from the NE gold room.

    Map of the Holy Symbol of Ravenkind locations by card name:

    Only Traitor and Raven locations require the Etherna password. With 5 possible locations for the Etherna scroll, it might be faster to reset if you pull them. Add the Miser 2 location to this list if you can't detect secret doors.






    Just for reference, here is another map version with room descriptions:




    I may document more about the optionals in the future. The wiki and lifestakers post are good resources for optionals.
    Last edited by Krell; 06-07-2018 at 03:09 AM.
    Ghallanda: Save the newbie, save the world.

  2. #2
    Founder Krell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Holtberg, Dereth
    Posts
    1,698

    Default

    Reserved.
    Ghallanda: Save the newbie, save the world.

  3. #3

    Default

    this is cool!

    Can you add to the map where one can get the buffs so as to get Strahd’s attention? That gets an extra chest for the named items which is really why we want to open all those doors
    ROGUE Part QUATRE: Prove your Stealth Skills!

    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist), Naerfelka (farmer)

  4. #4
    Founder Krell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Holtberg, Dereth
    Posts
    1,698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    this is cool!

    Can you add to the map where one can get the buffs so as to get Strahd’s attention? That gets an extra chest for the named items which is really why we want to open all those doors
    Thanks! I tested Strahd's attention tonight. I hit every amber sarcophagi, completed the optional, and got the 2nd chest after the dialogue and fight. It was only a filigree chest with no totems or named loot. I added a detailed map version that has the amber sarcophagi locations in case anyone wants to hit them for the optional or buffs.
    Last edited by Krell; 01-25-2018 at 05:49 AM.
    Ghallanda: Save the newbie, save the world.

  5. #5
    Community Member Dragavon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    this is cool!

    Can you add to the map where one can get the buffs so as to get Strahd’s attention? That gets an extra chest for the named items which is really why we want to open all those doors
    Have you ever looted named items in that chest?

    As far as I have seen only the chests that has Vistani totems can give named items, and that chest does not have totems, and I have never seen a named item in it?

  6. #6
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    378

    Default

    Passwords do not seem tied to Eva's fortune. I can confirm that for the first one (Mrak) at least.
    The four locations I recall are:
    either of the end alcoves on the lower level southern breakable coffin corridor;
    the lower level east-north-eastroom with the secret door which leads to the teleporter and golem;
    the pedestal located outside the upper level west castle-room which is initially only accessible via the teleporter on the lower level.
    At this point I am only doing endchest runs and gain the Maverus password from the lich via Restoration but can say the first password is definitely not tied to Eva's fortune.

  7. #7
    Founder Krell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Holtberg, Dereth
    Posts
    1,698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alfhild View Post
    Passwords do not seem tied to Eva's fortune. I can confirm that for the first one (Mrak) at least.
    The four locations I recall are:
    either of the end alcoves on the lower level southern breakable coffin corridor;
    the lower level east-north-eastroom with the secret door which leads to the teleporter and golem;
    the pedestal located outside the upper level west castle-room which is initially only accessible via the teleporter on the lower level.
    At this point I am only doing endchest runs and gain the Maverus password from the lich via Restoration but can say the first password is definitely not tied to Eva's fortune.
    That tells me the Holy Symbol of Ravenkind is tied to the card, but the scrolls have a different set of possible locations. If that is the case, I'll document where the symbol is located per card, then start working on the possible locations of each scroll. Good info, thanks.
    Ghallanda: Save the newbie, save the world.

  8. #8
    Community Member lifestaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krell View Post
    Assumptions:
    It appears that the location of the Holy Symbol of Ravenkind, which is needed to complete the quest, depends on the card drawn by Madam Eva.
    The passwords needed to open the doors are always the same regardless of Madam Eva's card.
    The locations of scrolls appear to be assigned randomly to preset locations that are not related to Madam Eva's card.

    Goals:
    Map the passwords needed to open each door (Done)
    Document the location for the Holy Symbol of Ravenkind for each of Madam Eva's cards
    Document the possible locations of each password scroll
    Here is my write up. Gives you each card, and password location. Additional information there as well for reference if you so desire to use.

    Of note on your map:
    You are missing one pit in the upper level west. The pit is the mimic area, that drops down to lower level western treasure room.
    Missing secret door in eastern treasure room's northwest edge. This goes to the small hall to the library.
    I think you might have a few doors labeled incorrectly for their password requirements. I am questioning 2 of them (lower west treasure room, upper east hall), but have not used those doors in a while so not 100% sure.
    Miser card can have chest in either treasure room, with eastern being more common. No defining statement that I have seen to define what side it is on prior to entering the room (Eva may have different wording potentially, I commonly do not read what she says)

    Outside that, looks nice.
    May I suggest you add in chest markers for people. The 11 chests in here are nothing much, but many of the names will explore moving far away from their respective chests.
    I would have a sig, but Someone might be offended by it so I will just list characters.
    Vicinity, Proximity, and far to many bank toons too list.
    -Sorry to any bank toons that are offended by me not listing mine-
    Ravensguard, Ghallanda

  9. #9
    Founder Krell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Holtberg, Dereth
    Posts
    1,698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lifestaker View Post
    Here is my write up. Gives you each card, and password location. Additional information there as well for reference if you so desire to use.

    Of note on your map:
    You are missing one pit in the upper level west. The pit is the mimic area, that drops down to lower level western treasure room.
    Missing secret door in eastern treasure room's northwest edge. This goes to the small hall to the library.
    I think you might have a few doors labeled incorrectly for their password requirements. I am questioning 2 of them (lower west treasure room, upper east hall), but have not used those doors in a while so not 100% sure.
    Miser card can have chest in either treasure room, with eastern being more common. No defining statement that I have seen to define what side it is on prior to entering the room (Eva may have different wording potentially, I commonly do not read what she says)

    Outside that, looks nice.
    May I suggest you add in chest markers for people. The 11 chests in here are nothing much, but many of the names will explore moving far away from their respective chests.
    Great write up, thanks! I've checked the doors more than once, but I'll check those again and work on adding the other information.
    Ghallanda: Save the newbie, save the world.

  10. #10
    Community Member Spadedragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krell View Post
    Thanks! I tested Strahd's attention tonight. I hit every amber sarcophagi, completed the optional, and got the 2nd chest after the dialogue and fight. It was only a filigree chest with no totems or named loot. I added a detailed map version that has the amber sarcophagi locations in case anyone wants to hit them for the optional or buffs.
    I've also checked this chest and received no named items or totems. That is why I don't don't spend the extra hour trying to find all the passwords and sarcophagi. It would be helpful if someone else could confirm this.
    (Combat): You were killed by something.

  11. #11
    Founder Krell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Holtberg, Dereth
    Posts
    1,698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spadedragon View Post
    I've also checked this chest and received no named items or totems. That is why I don't don't spend the extra hour trying to find all the passwords and sarcophagi. It would be helpful if someone else could confirm this.
    I tried the second chest a few times and it never had tokens or named items. If you are facing the wall, the left chest is named and the optional right chest is just random loot and sometimes filigrees.
    Ghallanda: Save the newbie, save the world.

  12. #12
    Founder Krell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Holtberg, Dereth
    Posts
    1,698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lifestaker View Post
    Here is my write up. Gives you each card, and password location. Additional information there as well for reference if you so desire to use.

    Of note on your map:
    You are missing one pit in the upper level west. The pit is the mimic area, that drops down to lower level western treasure room.
    Missing secret door in eastern treasure room's northwest edge. This goes to the small hall to the library.
    I think you might have a few doors labeled incorrectly for their password requirements. I am questioning 2 of them (lower west treasure room, upper east hall), but have not used those doors in a while so not 100% sure.
    Miser card can have chest in either treasure room, with eastern being more common. No defining statement that I have seen to define what side it is on prior to entering the room (Eva may have different wording potentially, I commonly do not read what she says)

    Outside that, looks nice.
    May I suggest you add in chest markers for people. The 11 chests in here are nothing much, but many of the names will explore moving far away from their respective chests.
    I re-tested the passwords on doors and feel good about them.
    I only picked up Yantar, verified all doors marked Y opened, and the remaining doors did not.
    I then picked up Mrak, verified all the doors marked M opened, and the remaining doors did not.
    I then picked up Etherna, verified all the doors marked E opened, and the remaining Maverus doors did not.
    Ghallanda: Save the newbie, save the world.

  13. #13
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    14

    Default

    The patch today altered the location of the icon for (at least)
    Solider card - In the Ravenloft room, meaning you must access the library area and trigger the portal chat sequence.
    Hollow One - In the Slaad room, which now has 2 waves of 4 Death Slaads.

    The card wording was altered too, I didn't bother to write it down.

  14. #14
    Founder Krell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Holtberg, Dereth
    Posts
    1,698

    Default

    Map and descriptions have been updated for U38 Patch 1.
    Ghallanda: Save the newbie, save the world.

  15. #15
    Community Member Talzor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Does this change mean that if you pull the Soldier card and can't make the search check for the secret door you have no way of completing the quest?

  16. #16
    Community Member FuryFlash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Thelanis
    Posts
    422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Talzor View Post
    Does this change mean that if you pull the Soldier card and can't make the search check for the secret door you have no way of completing the quest?
    That is correct.

  17. #17
    Founder Krell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Holtberg, Dereth
    Posts
    1,698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Talzor View Post
    Does this change mean that if you pull the Soldier card and can't make the search check for the secret door you have no way of completing the quest?
    That is true. Also if you happen to leave the d-door room without picking up the icon, you won't be able to finish it.
    Ghallanda: Save the newbie, save the world.

  18. #18
    Community Member Talzor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FuryFlash View Post
    That is correct.
    Surely this must be a result of to hasty a change. There are no other quest in the game that requires you to have a specific skill to complete it. The door should either be reduced to 30 so that true seeing can find it or there needs to be a optional way of reducing it's DC to 1, like the door in Rahadins chambers in castle Ravenloft.

  19. #19
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    14

    Default

    I think the 2 cards needed to be changed, but 4 months ago, not now. Those 2 allow <3min completions, in fact 1m30 was possible, of course you had to cycle the instance but that was hardly difficult. And further, the RXP issue.

    Having said that, since I knew where the icon would not be, finding it, including clearing the mobs, on ER1, only took 10 mins more, for each card, and I think those cards could still be done pretty quickly, if you get lucky or know the places the password required will be.

    The icon being in Ravenloft has another issue, that is, if you want to complete the optional, you have to leave the icon behind, because if you don't leave the icon behind, you will have completed the quest, then complete the optional, and get the optional completed after quest has completed bug, which makes the optional xp ransack never release/go down. So you will quickly end up with the optional being worth 0 xp and the only way to reset it being a TR of some kind.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Talzor View Post
    Surely this must be a result of to hasty a change. There are no other quest in the game that requires you to have a specific skill to complete it. The door should either be reduced to 30 so that true seeing can find it or there needs to be a optional way of reducing it's DC to 1, like the door in Rahadins chambers in castle Ravenloft.
    there is a dev post confirming that this needs to be looked at—they got too hasty as you state
    ROGUE Part QUATRE: Prove your Stealth Skills!

    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist), Naerfelka (farmer)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload