Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vistani Warlock

Default Vistani Warlock

It was bound to happen eventually. Posting up an idea I've been bouncing around since I saw the Vistani tree, essentially it's an Enlightened Spirit with solid dagger dps while having the auras/"cleaves" running. It might not have the DC's of a Cha--based PDK Lock, or the temp hp of a Con-based Dwarf Lock, but it gets some nice shinies in the Vistani tree to give it some punches. This build also should work great alongside Arcane Warrior, enjoying both MP and USP. Definitely open to suggestions fine tune it, obviously it would benefit from racial AP's but I don't have any so didn't go there. If you did, Dragonborn has some nice things you could use. It could work with any race really, but the STR/CHA bonuses work well. The dex does hurt a touch though, for 2WF line.

Warlock 20, Dragonborn

STR 18 (16+2)
    DEX 12 (14-2, using a +5 Dex tome to get 17)
    CON 16
    INT 12
    WIS 8
    CHA 16 (14+2)

Enlightened Spirit [41]
    Cores 1-6
    Spiritual Defense, Res of Body 1
    Spiritual Bastion, Power of Enlightenment, Shield
    Eldritch Burst, Spiritual Ward, Power of Enlightenment 2
    Medium Armor Prof, Spiritual Retribution, Brilliance
    Spirit Blast, Beacon, Shining Through, Displacement

Vistani Knife Fighter [31]
    Cores 1-5
    Knife Training, Undead Hunter, Mist Stalker I, Rapid Attack
    Knife Training, Bleeding Cuts, Haste Boost
    Knife Training, Deadly Blade, Str
    Knife Training, Celerity, Double Daggers, Str

Tainted Scholar [8]
    Cores 1-2
    Feigned Health, Planar Power 1
    Utterdark Blast

For skills start off with UMD, Concentration, and Spellcraft. Heal can be nice too, whatever else beyond that you want.

Feats:

1- Pact: Any. Fey is nice for wings, but low DC's mean sonic damage will be evaded. Leaning towards GOO for the Knock and PWK. Maximize

3- Empower

6- Two-Weapon Fighting

9- Precision

12- Imp Critical: Pierce

15- Imp Two-Weapon Fighting

18- Greater Two-Weapon Fighting

21- Overwhelming Critical

24- Intensify Spell

26- Perfect Two-Weapon Fighting

27- Epic Eldritch Blast

28- Epic Arcane Eldrtich Blast

29- Arcane Warrior

30- Completionist, Scion of Celestia

Spells:

Shield, Jump
    Blur, Fog Cloud (blur vs True Seeing bosses)
    Haste, Ddoor (displacement from SLA)
    Evard's, True Seeing
    Tenser's Transformation, Mind Fog (easier to land Eld Blast)
    Wail of the Banshee, Power Word: Stun

Sorry about the formatting, don't have the build planner available currently. Kept it cleanish at least.
    Last edited by Tom116; 01-27-2018 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Completionist over Quicken
    Kestros, Shintao Monk
    Leader of The Shadowtouched, Ghallanda
    Member of the Tyrs Fellowship

What is the point of getting both power attack and precision on this build? You can only use one, and I'd imagine for daggers, precision is much better.

That being said, if you are set on getting power attack, I'd take it at level 1 since two handers with power attack are OP early on.
    ~Sarlona~
    Maelodic - Gigglelock| | Zeriyn - Woof

Quote Originally Posted by Maelodic View Post
    What is the point of getting both power attack and precision on this build? You can only use one, and I'd imagine for daggers, precision is much better.

That being said, if you are set on getting power attack, I'd take it at level 1 since two handers with power attack are OP early on.
    My original thought was Power Attack in general, Precision vs high fort. You have a good point though, so Precision can be moved earlier, PA dropped, and something else can go in. Maybe Completionist...
    Kestros, Shintao Monk

Quote Originally Posted by Tom116 View Post
    My original thought was Power Attack in general, Precision vs high fort. You have a good point though, so Precision can be moved earlier, PA dropped, and something else can go in. Maybe Completionist...
    You'll probably want to get quicken for the bursts.
    ~Sarlona~

You'll probably want to get quicken for the bursts.
    Does that effect them much? I hadn't used quicken on them before since all my heals were scrolls or SLA's.
    Kestros, Shintao Monk

Does that effect them much? I hadn't used quicken on them before since all my heals were scrolls or SLA's.
    It at least makes the cool down a bit better so you can swing quicker after the animation.
    ~Sarlona~

It at least makes the cool down a bit better so you can swing quicker after the animation.
    Fair enough, I'd say that does beat out completionist then. Thank you for the imput
    Kestros, Shintao Monk

Arg quiken for bursts really ok

Have never seen a single chain or aura or burst fail

And tentacles with quiken on fail 50 percent of the time so never bother

Maximize for the win dump empower less u want it at 3 then

I only ever quiken fod and wail and ur not instakill so u could drop it

Heals n bursts r no fail
    Damonz Cannith

Quote Originally Posted by mr420247 View Post
    Arg quiken for bursts really ok

Have never seen a single chain or aura or burst fail

And tentacles with quiken on fail 50 percent of the time so never bother

Maximize for the win dump empower less u want it at 3 then

I only ever quiken fod and wail and ur not instakill so u could drop it

Heals n bursts r no fail
    Eldritch Blast can't fail, the quicken is just to get back to meleeing faster after using the eldritch blast cleaves. Also doesn't hurt any other SLA's since it's free to add on.

"While this feat is activated, spells will be cast faster (roughly twice as fast) and cannot be interrupted by a concentration check." Gunna go out on a limb and say no, Tentacles won't fail with quicken.

Why drop empower? Maximize is +150, with Empower it becomes +225. That increases the gain by 50%, and it's free on the cleaves. I wouldn't use it on non-SLA's at level 3 due to sp constraint, but makes the cleaves instakill everything.

Wail still gives negs on save so can be handy, but the DC won't be great, no. Either way, it's to increase the casting speed of the cleaves primarily, making other things no-fail (especially while being in melee range) is just a bonus. It would suck to use Power Word: Kill and have it fail; the 5 minute cooldown is still triggered.

Just because they're no-fail doesn't mean it isn't nice to speed up the casting time. With quicken, you can can things mid-air and not slow down at all for most spells. Without it, only a few very fast casting animation spells don't slow you down.
    Last edited by Tom116; 01-24-2018 at 01:28 PM.
    Kestros, Shintao Monk

Community Member

"While this feat is activated, spells will be cast faster (roughly twice as fast) and cannot be interrupted by a concentration check." Gunna go out on a limb and say no, Tentacles won't fail with quicken.
    I've had tentacles fail with quicken. I can't say why it failed, as you can't dump the combat logs to text and the logs scroll off so fast due to the multiple damage types and fast refresh from the aura that I've never been able to find anything useful in the combat log. Obviously I don't notice it failing if I start off combat using it, but then, things aren't generally hitting me at that point. When I notice it is when it's on cooldown to start the fight, and I'm hitting it mid-combat dropping it straight down at my feet when the cooldown expires. No spell effect, no swirlies saying the mobs are being held, but the spell is on cooldown again. It could be a timing issue, a lag issue, an issue with dropping it right below you when you're jumping, or it could be getting interrupted. Doesn't happen every time, but it's happened to me more than once. I'm not discounting the possibility that I'm doing it wrong, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Zretch View Post
    I've had tentacles fail with quicken. I can't say why it failed, as you can't dump the combat logs to text and the logs scroll off so fast due to the multiple damage types and fast refresh from the aura that I've never been able to find anything useful in the combat log. Obviously I don't notice it failing if I start off combat using it, but then, things aren't generally hitting me at that point. When I notice it is when it's on cooldown to start the fight, and I'm hitting it mid-combat dropping it straight down at my feet when the cooldown expires. No spell effect, no swirlies saying the mobs are being held, but the spell is on cooldown again. It could be a timing issue, a lag issue, an issue with dropping it right below you when you're jumping, or it could be getting interrupted. Doesn't happen every time, but it's happened to me more than once. I'm not discounting the possibility that I'm doing it wrong, either.
    That is odd...could be a bug, or maybe a targeting issue? Spells have been known to fizzle with auto-targeting enabled, which would include stuff like dropping it right below you
    Kestros, Shintao Monk

quickened spells fail due to autoattack (the most common example we can see is when u are an arty pewpewing and try to cast a quickened reconstruct but u start shootiing again before the spell is cast), remember that a quickened spell isn't autocasted instantly, it has some type of animation, if u cut it, there's no spell (even quickened) the difference is mobs wont cut your spell due to damage

also quicken IIRC has no effect in bursts, i mean, u can't turn it on the hotkey, same with enlarge, heighten, extend... IIRC u can only turn on empower + maximize, it has been a while since last time tho lol

if u wanna switch faster from casting/bursting to melee what you need is quickdraw
    psykopeta is finally baconpletionist because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS: I post only in the latest thread shown in main page, in the weird case u want something from me, feel free to send pm

Quote Originally Posted by psykopeta View Post
    quickened spells fail due to autoattack (the most common example we can see is when u are an arty pewpewing and try to cast a quickened reconstruct but u start shootiing again before the spell is cast), remember that a quickened spell isn't autocasted instantly, it has some type of animation, if u cut it, there's no spell (even quickened) the difference is mobs wont cut your spell due to damage

also quicken IIRC has no effect in bursts, i mean, u can't turn it on the hotkey, same with enlarge, heighten, extend... IIRC u can only turn on empower + maximize, it has been a while since last time tho lol

if u wanna switch faster from casting/bursting to melee what you need is quickdraw
    Ahh, fair enough

Does it not? Maelodic said I would want it for the bursts, I had originally ignored it thinking it didn't do anything. Can someone confirm one way or the other?

Quickdraw is auto-granted by the Vistani Core 3, so I don't need to use a feat slot on that. By Empower + Maximize, I'm assuming Intensify is also included?
    Kestros, Shintao Monk

Ahh, fair enough

Does it not? Maelodic said I would want it for the bursts, I had originally ignored it thinking it didn't do anything. Can someone confirm one way or the other?

Quickdraw is auto-granted by the Vistani Core 3, so I don't need to use a feat slot on that. By Empower + Maximize, I'm assuming Intensify is also included?
    Went ingame and tested.

So the blasts can be quickened- but it doesn't seem to cast any faster.

Sorry about that, I just always had it on and figured it sped it up since you can right click toggle quicken on the spells.
    ~Sarlona~

Went ingame and tested.

So the blasts can be quickened- but it doesn't seem to cast any faster.

Sorry about that, I just always had it on and figured it sped it up since you can right click toggle quicken on the spells.
    No worries, you'd think that they would speed up since they can be toggled on lol
    Kestros, Shintao Monk

Community Member

Are you putting level up points in strength? con? charisma?

I noticed you have the shield enhancement and took the shield spell at level 1, don't need both. I'd probably pick up nightshield at level 1 and drop the shield enhancement. You also have haste boost from VSF and took the haste spell. If you drop displacement enhancement, shield enhancement, take nightshield spell level 1 (instead of shield) and displacement spell level 3 (instead of haste), you can free up points to go +2 CON in ES.

Not being able to take TS core 4 means no death ward, which is a bummer. If you drop bleeding cuts and the two strength enhancements in VSF, you can go up the mist stalker line and get immunity to energy drain along with some extra PRR. Not sure if bleeding cuts is a critical piece of the build, given it relies on a vorpal and you won't be constantly attacking (your bursts will take the place of some of your melee swings every 5 seconds).

Depending on where the majority of your damage is coming from (aura + bursts or melee), you can certainly swap the positions of Epic Eldritch Blast and Overwhelming Critical, as well as Perfect Two Weapon Fighting and Epic Arcane Eldritch Blast.

What destiny are you thinking? I know what I'd be using for destiny and twists on a standard aura-lock, but is it worth trying to strengthen the dagger damage through destinies at the expense of aura/burst damage, over and above the impact to DCs and loss of crit damage / pact damage from the TS tree already.

I have a dragonborn warlock sitting at 20 that I may want to burn a lesser heart on just to give it a try, but I'd love to get an opinion over where to put the level up points (STR, CHA, or CON) before doing so as it's the one thing that you can't just switch around easily with a reset / feat swap.

Are you putting level up points in strength? con? charisma?

I noticed you have the shield enhancement and took the shield spell at level 1, don't need both. I'd probably pick up nightshield at level 1 and drop the shield enhancement. You also have haste boost from VSF and took the haste spell. If you drop displacement enhancement, shield enhancement, take nightshield spell level 1 (instead of shield) and displacement spell level 3 (instead of haste), you can free up points to go +2 CON in ES.

Not being able to take TS core 4 means no death ward, which is a bummer. If you drop bleeding cuts and the two strength enhancements in VSF, you can go up the mist stalker line and get immunity to energy drain along with some extra PRR. Not sure if bleeding cuts is a critical piece of the build, given it relies on a vorpal and you won't be constantly attacking (your bursts will take the place of some of your melee swings every 5 seconds).

Depending on where the majority of your damage is coming from (aura + bursts or melee), you can certainly swap the positions of Epic Eldritch Blast and Overwhelming Critical, as well as Perfect Two Weapon Fighting and Epic Arcane Eldritch Blast.

What destiny are you thinking? I know what I'd be using for destiny and twists on a standard aura-lock, but is it worth trying to strengthen the dagger damage through destinies at the expense of aura/burst damage, over and above the impact to DCs and loss of crit damage / pact damage from the TS tree already.

I have a dragonborn warlock sitting at 20 that I may want to burn a lesser heart on just to give it a try, but I'd love to get an opinion over where to put the level up points (STR, CHA, or CON) before doing so as it's the one thing that you can't just switch around easily with a reset / feat swap.
    I was thinking Str, with dps largely coming from the daggers. Cleaves for some AoE, and aura going passively for temp hp/some damage.

True, not sure why I took both the spell and the enhancement lol. Why nightshield over shield though? Nightshield's saves bonus doesn't stack, while the (albeit small) AC bonus from Shield would apply since you wouldn't be using a shield. Haste Boost is Action Boost typed, so it stacks with Haste spell (enhancement typed) which lets you attack even faster. The extra AP would be nice (still can take +1 because of the Shield) but the attack speed of haste is worth keeping (especially while in a party), so displacement AP needs to stay unless I drop ddoor. At that point it's the ddoor convenience vs 1 Con, so either way works depending on preference.

Agree that no DW sucks. Fair point about the bleeding crits, and I do like the immunity to negative levels. PRR never hurts either

True, I wasn't too concerned about the order tbh lol. Not 100% sure which would provide more damage between those two sources, though I was to lean towards daggers vs bosses at least. In AoE the cleaves/auras would certainly win out.

That's a good question lol. Normally I'd say EA without hesitation, but with the daggers it's hard to say. DC has some potential, especially if you went Fiend for the fire spellpower synergy. The purely melee trees don't seem to do justice with the auras, and EA could still be a good choice if you focused more on the auras/cleaves with daggers between bursts. Like you said though, the crit damage/DC would be a lot lower so focusing on the dagger side might be a better choice. LD might even be alright as long as you can keep blitz up between the auras.

Twists would probably be melee-centric for the same reason, with the typical melee twists. Possibly with the light spellpower from EA as twist too? Easy enough to play around with twists as desired though

If you do end up trying this out, let me know how it goes. It sounds like it should at least be fun if nothing else, and the Vistani Dagger dps alone should keep it competitive.
    Kestros, Shintao Monk

Community Member

True, not sure why I took both the spell and the enhancement lol. Why nightshield over shield though? Nightshield's saves bonus doesn't stack, while the (albeit small) AC bonus from Shield would apply since you wouldn't be using a shield. Haste Boost is Action Boost typed, so it stacks with Haste spell (enhancement typed) which lets you attack even faster.
    Honestly I've worn a shield for so long that Nightshield is my default.

Honestly I've worn a shield for so long that Nightshield is my default.
    Fair haha

I just figure with resistance items on, I grab shield when given the choice because Nightshield is almost always negated, while Shield is only negated if you wear any sort of shield. Either way doesn't matter much though
    Kestros, Shintao Monk

Community Member

Fair haha

I just figure with resistance items on, I grab shield when given the choice because Nightshield is almost always negated, while Shield is only negated if you wear any sort of shield. Either way doesn't matter much though
    Well, I gave it a spin over the weekend. I went level ups in STR, went with Power Attack over Precision, and used the LD epic destiny with Emperyon Magic (10% spell crit), Symetric Strikes (5% damage for dual wielding), and Rejuv Cocoon as my twists. I have no monk, fighter, or barbarian past lives, but I do have full PDK and Divine ED, so i carry an extra 36 PRR, which goes well with Brilliance and mitigates no shield and no shield feats for a melee range character.

Impressions: First off, I don't think this is good as a leveling build. Warlock is crazy good all by itself by level 12, pulling APs out of ES and TS just water you down. I started at 18, and the build felt good there with full ES, Utterdark in TS, and the rest in VKF, so I'd say just do standard warlock until 12, and then start putting points into VKF rather than filling out the TS tree like normal.

Second, this certainly does more single target damage (orange/red names) than straight ES/TS. The attack speed is VERY high with haste and double daggers. Vorpal daggers and daggers that proc damage do very well. The base hit isn't good (around 95-110 at 21 with High Priest's Blade and Sacrificial Dagger), but the crits are in the 300-400 range before Overwhelming criticals. With Thunderforged Tier 1 daggers and OC, damage was still in the high 90's / low 100's, but the crits were more like 650-800. I changed his spec at level 18 around noon Saturday and finished the weekend 25. The vast majority of my leveling was purely solo, no hirelings, so leveling in epics certainly wasn't a struggle.

I would say that Epic Eldritch Blast is needed at 21. Overwhelming Crits was the next feat I took. Arcane Epic Eldritch will be next. The bursts are a bit weaker, but not tragically so. They're still worth using with 3 or more things around you, but for singles, don't even bother, the daggers do the job without the longish animations.

I will be taking the build to 30 and seeing how it does in Elite Slave Lord's, which is kind of my benchmark for solo builds as you want a good mix of survive-ability and damage. I want to see how well it holds up with no shield.

That being said, I don't think I'll be running this build during my normal TR runs. It kind of fights against itself. You either think like a burster, or you think like a meleer, you don't really mix the two that effectively. You notice that the daggers have some ramp-up time. By the time you click on your double daggers, maybe a haste boost, you need to burst again, and when you burst you feel like you're just wasting double dagger uptime. I'm not sure where my DCs will actually end up at 30, but I'm thinking they'll be at most 75ish, which isn't going to be reliable in EE, which is a shame because everything hits harder if you can stick hold monster on a group, and you don't always want to wait for Evard's cooldown.

There's also the gear situation. For the most-part, I wore my standard CC gear, with base and insightful of Int, Cha, Con, and Dex as well as sheltering and radiance/corrosion. Added in are resistance, heal amp, natural armor, wizardry, etc. I swapped out my spell focus / spell pen goggles for seeker / I Seeker / deadly, and used daggers, but that was it for melee centered gear. No accuracy, no melee power, etc. Again, you're kinda fighting against yourself if you remove insightful radiance to add insightful strength on your gloves, etc. My end level gear for my Lock is generally the two Ravenloft sceptres which have very good spell focus, spell pen, potency, and spellsight, I have no idea how I'm going to replace that, still keep my slaver's set bonuses, still keep the Adherent of the Mists set bonus, and use two daggers.

Is it fun? Sure. Is it viable to level up? Certainly. Is it optimal? No, it's beyond my capability to optimize it. Someone else who has far more experience with melee builds would do far better than I did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast