Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default The number 1 reason people don't log into DDO: Fix it already

Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post
    I don't think you get a choice.. you are Rys's minion..

Community Member

Add -skiprawdownload to TurbineLauncher.exe.

So it looks like:
    "C:\Games\Dungeons & Dragons Online\TurbineLauncher.exe" -skiprawdownload

*change C:\Games\Dungeons & Dragons Online\ to where you DDO is installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kriogen View Post

So it looks like:

Thanks, even if I knew the workaround already

The point is that they should just fix it. It's been around for years.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wizza View Post
    I'm not sure if it's the number 1 reason, but agreed - waiting for those downloads every time is just ridiculous.

So it looks like:

I did not know about this, neat! They should still change it though.
    Nistafa on Khyber

Community Member

Default Seriously?

Is this thread real?

It takes five seconds, and there is a workaround if that's too much for you.

I swear, the threads on this forum make me wonder if there is some kind of inside joke that us newer players aren't in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfishski View Post
    I'm not sure if it's the number 1 reason, but agreed - waiting for those downloads every time is just ridiculous.
    I ran an in-depth survey and came to the conclusion that this is, indeed, the number 1 reason.

Quote Originally Posted by TTMC View Post
    Is this thread real?

I swear, the threads on this forum make me wonder if there is some kind of inside joke that us newer players aren't in on.
    No, it's a dream. This is Wonderland.

Community Member

Do you know how to make it to work with preloader?

Is this thread real?

Not everyone lives in USA with Gigabit internet connection. For me is is 5min, and when at my parents home is 15-20 mins. For a lot of ppl would be really annoing, expecially if you have to add several login time coz you don't have SSD and 50% crash at login... could need like more than 30 mins for a login. For players that play 8h in a row is not a problem but who got few time to play will opt for something else.

I think that the main problem of DDO is that is so bugged: there are bug everywhere even if known since years. I know that reading code wrote from somone else is a pain, but is a job that you must do, accept this.
    Last edited by FlameDiablo; 01-06-2018 at 07:09 AM.
    Leamos --> Completionist + Epic Completionist

Arena PVP matchs are the only real end-game... still waiting that community will understand and let turbine to implement it.

Lynnabel!
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight Templar of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist); Parked Toons: Katwoemyn (10), Saelegion (4), Alitirala (>17), Naerfelka (>21)
    wounded and burnt from many mistakes and still stumbling!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlameDiablo View Post
    Not everyone lives in USA with Gigabit internet connection. For me is is 5min, and when at my parents home is 15-20 mins. For a lot of ppl would be really annoing, expecially if you have to add several login time coz you don't have SSD and 50% crash at login... could need like more than 30 mins for a login. For players that play 8h in a row is not a problem but who got few time to play will opt for something else.

I think that the main problem of DDO is that is so bugged: there are bug everywhere even if known since years. I know that reading code wrote from somone else is a pain, but is a job that you must do, accept this.

No need to tell me about less than optimal internet options. I live in northern Thailand. My issue is with the "Fix it already" tone of the OP. This could have been "PSA: Use this fix to get rid of those pesky load screen downloads on the launcher" followed by a bunch of thank you posts. Instead, it just falls in the long line of whine threads.

No need to tell me about less than optimal internet options. I live in northern Thailand. My issue is with the "Fix it already" tone of the OP. This could have been "PSA: Use this fix to get rid of those pesky load screen downloads on the launcher" followed by a bunch of thank you posts. Instead, it just falls in the long line of whine threads.
    I don't want people to use a workaround. I want ssg to fix a long standing and annoying bug. There are threads from 2013. Hence, fix it already.

You nailed it. The difference between constructive criticism and complaining is tone.

Is this thread real?

When it does not get stuck, on some updates ( on some installations) it used to stuck for up to 15minutes or permanently until patching, restarts or whatever maintenance. There also used to be another workaround, that stopped working, I think they moved the splash files from an xml to the main conf ini or something like that (too lazy to check ).

Quote Originally Posted by RootinTuutin View Post
    You nailed it. The difference between constructive criticism and complaining is tone.
    Constructive feedback happened 5 years ago.

I'm sorry if "Fix it already" for a bug that has been around for so long sounds too mean for you guys. You can make a new thread and show me how it's done, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by FlameDiablo View Post
    Do you know how to make it to work with preloader?

So let me get this straight. You have such a terrible connection that it takes ypu 15 min+ to download the spalsh screens, but you still have the ability to play an ONLINE game without issue? Shenanigans. If you have that poor of an internet connection, then an MMO is not a good option to play unless you really like beating your head against the wall. Honestly, MMOs target audience are not people with bad internet.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by simo0208 View Post
    So let me get this straight. You have such a terrible connection that it takes ypu 15 min+ to download the spalsh screens, but you still have the ability to play an ONLINE game without issue? Shenanigans. If you have that poor of an internet connection, then an MMO is not a good option to play unless you really like beating your head against the wall. Honestly, MMOs target audience are not people with bad internet.
    The game itself has surprisingly low bandwidth requirements. That’s one of the advantages of its old age. It was written in an era of much poorer connections. Splashscreens on the other hand are monsters.

Systems Designer

Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    Lynnabel!
    Speak of the devil, and I arrive.

As for this thread, you can force a skip of that particular re-verification, but that loading screen re-download is how we shuffle loading screens for store sales in and out. It's doing exactly what it's supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by RootinTuutin View Post
    Very true. Constructive criticism is an excellent tool to getting feedback to us. I try my best to not get sucked into angry threads, as they cause me personally a lot of stress - even though I know I shouldn't take insults personally, I still do, so I've just gotta limit my exposure to save my sanity
    100% radical, enthusiasm enthusiast.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    As for this thread, you can force a skip of that particular re-verification, but that loading screen re-download is how we shuffle loading screens for store sales in and out. It's doing exactly what it's supposed to.
    Sure, but DDO hasn't officially supported other languages for years now, so why do we need to download the splash screen in 3 different languages?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by simo0208 View Post
    Did you never checked the band consumption of MMO games? The only thing that requires you a lot of bandwith is download, the game itself works fine even with a really poor connection, and not just DDO, even other new titles.
    The problems start when i need to download each login.
    Leamos --> Completionist + Epic Completionist

Arena PVP matchs are the only real end-game... still waiting that community will understand and let turbine to implement it.

“Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    but that loading screen re-download is how we shuffle loading screens for store sales in and out. It's doing exactly what it's supposed to.
    (
    Ok, except it's not. I see old and out of date splash screens all the time.

I have a particular issue with this because since I re-DL'd DOO a few days ago, the crashing has been epidemic bad. And it doesn't just crash the game, it crashes my entire computer forcing a hard reboot. I ran Ghosts Of Perdition, and every single time the floor cracked open, my computer would bomb. Then every time I broke a statue in Chultholl'z room before the boss fight, my computer would bomb. Having to re-download the splash screens 11 times in 30 minutes was more than a little frustrating as I was trying to get back into the quest before the timeout kicked me from it and I had to start all over again. 4 of those 11 times, the download just got...stuck...on one of the splash screens, forcing me to bring up the task manager and kill the DNDClient process and start it up again.

I understand that updating the splash screens is a way to communicate with the playerbase, but the current situation is just not a good one.

Things you can do which will vastly improve the situation:

1) Only download when the splash screens change - this is once a week, not every time you log in. It doesn't re-download all of Ravenloft every time I log in. Put a version number or date on the files and have the launcher check to see if they are current or not before blindly grabbing them.

2) A set of toggles in the launcher to NEVER download the screens of a language we don't use. In all the eons of the remaining time of the universe, there is nothing that you want to communicate to us that I will want to read it in French or German. Spare us 2/3rds of these downloads for something that I will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever* use.

*- ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever
    Kobold sentient jewel still hate you.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast