Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Small request: Sentient weapons in off-hand

It sucks losing 2 action boosts if you need to buff yourself with a scroll.

Is it the end of the world? No, not at all. On a 1-10 suck scale it's maybe a 2.3.

But is there any way for this to change?

Community Member

Probably not the way to go about fixing this. What about people who use great weapons? They'll still have this issue.

A better fix would be adding a variable that keeps track of your bonus sentient weapon action boosts, and if they are used or not, so that it's irrelevant if you switch weapons.

Sentient weapons have egos and are generally narcissistic. They don't like being treated just like some other tool in your arsenal. They want to be at least your equal, if not your superior. To be wantonly sheathed for some other (lesser) thing then only brought back out because of it's 'buffs' is an insult. You do that, and they'll snub you in return (by removing their bonuses while you've removed them). To play 'second fiddle' by being in your off hand to something else, especially something without sentience, something that isn't THEM, is also highly insulting to them.

They're fickle that way.

Community Member

How about I get to scroll from my off-hand?
    Last edited by Hjeal_meh; 01-01-2018 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hjeal_meh View Post
    Yes please! I am ALL for this.

I always wondered how the heck we use scrolls with one hand. I own a few rolled documents, maps, and pictures, mostly stored in cardboard tubes which are sort of like scroll cases. Just for giggles I stuffed one in my little pink backpack and tried to quickly remove it with one hand. Yeah. Good luck with that. Then I tried to get the scroll out of the case with one hand. It took a while but I managed to dump it onto the floor. Then I tried to unroll the scroll with one hand so I could 'read it'. That's just not gonna happen.

If I were running a game and someone tried to find, retrieve, unroll, and read a scroll with one hand I would laugh at them.

Anyway...

Sophie the Cat Burglar: *hides behind a pillar and tries to retrieve a scroll from her backpack with her left hand*

Vexa the Dagger: What are you doing?

Sophie the Cat Burglar: I am trying to get a teleport scroll from my backpack so we can get the heck out of here!

Vexa the Dagger: Yeah... So... Why are you trying to do that with one hand, wasting a bunch of time while 37 ogres are getting ready to kill us?

Sophie the Cat Burglar: I did not want to upset you by moving you to my left hand or putting you away.

Vexa the Dagger: Holy guacamole. I am not that vain, sweets. *drops out of Sophie's hand and uses her filigree hair to wrap herself to Sophie's arm*

Sophie the Cat Burglar: *quickly uses both hands to retrieve the scroll, unroll it, and read it, shimmering away just as the ogres arrive* Whew! Thank you, Vexie.

Vexa the Dagger: Never do that again. If you need me in your other hand or sheathed, just do it. We're a team, right? We do what we need to do.

Sophie the Cat Burglar: *smiles* We're a team. Do you mind if I use you to open the mail?

Vexa the Dagger: That's fine. I open mail. You do laundry. It's not all dungeons and dragons.

Sophie the Cat Burglar: Dungeons and dragons. That's kinds catchy.

Vexa the Dagger: Better than letters and laundry.
    Last edited by Annex; 01-02-2018 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Grrrr. Typos.

lol

If only all sentient weapons were so understanding.

"Hey! Meatbag! Try not to drop me when you die next time alright! *grumbles something nasty telepathically*"

Quote Originally Posted by vryxnr View Post
    Sentient weapons have egos and are generally narcissistic. They don't like being treated just like some other tool in your arsenal. They want to be at least your equal, if not your superior. To be wantonly sheathed for some other (lesser) thing then only brought back out because of it's 'buffs' is an insult. You do that, and they'll snub you in return (by removing their bonuses while you've removed them). To play 'second fiddle' by being in your off hand to something else, especially something without sentience, something that isn't THEM, is also highly insulting to them.

They're fickle that way.
    Man I last night I decided to put jewels into my drow weapon masters shortsword so I could use it in my off hand with my Shuri, I was so confused why it would no longer let me equip it in my off hand.

Rather frustrating. So now I need to use frillagee removers etc... I guess this was written up somewhere. I now se it on the wiki, I just never thought this would be an issue.

So I am not even sure what low epic level shuri there is I could use.
    G-land
    Main characters, Tymout, Tymkul, Tymbom, Tymantha etc...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by skorpeon View Post
    Man I last night I decided to put jewels into my drow weapon masters shortsword so I could use it in my off hand with my Shuri, I was so confused why it would no longer let me equip it in my off hand.

Rather frustrating. So now I need to use frillagee removers etc... I guess this was written up somewhere. I now se it on the wiki, I just never thought this would be an issue.

Cormyrian. Or just give up on sentience for low epics.
    Very much like my favourite weapon, the quarterstaff, I am a blunt instrument, as are my words.
    Thelanis - Striving to be your Swiss Army Knife for DPS, traps and tanking
    Eushully/Sunny Cleric (transient) | Nantekottai/Stuck in TR (again) | Ponoka - Sub.

Community Member

Why you need use drow weapon master sword at all? 8)
    BiS is ML7 ToEE fully upgraded melee (Quenched is the best) shortsword until lvl23, Celestia from lvl23 to lvl26 and ToEE ML26 fully upgraded melee (same, Quenched is the best) shortsword.
    ML20 spelltouched shuriken with good debuff/cc like wounding/paralyzing/life stealing/etc...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfo View Post
    Why you need use drow weapon master sword at all? 8)
    BiS is ML7 ToEE fully upgraded melee (Quenched is the best) shortsword until lvl23, Celestia from lvl23 to lvl26 and ToEE ML26 fully upgraded melee (same, Quenched is the best) shortsword.

ML20 spelltouched shuriken with good debuff/cc like wounding/paralyzing/life stealing/etc...
    I wouldn't say for sure epic ToEE will be better than Celestia though, Celestia's proc rate seems out of line and light damage is generally not resisted. Haven't really had a chance to test Celestia-ToEE-Sunsword side by side though.
    Very much like my favourite weapon, the quarterstaff, I am a blunt instrument, as are my words.
    Eushully/Sunny Cleric (transient) | Nantekottai/Stuck in TR (again) | Ponoka - Sub.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by askrj1 View Post
    I wouldn't say for sure epic ToEE will be better than Celestia though, Celestia's proc rate seems out of line and light damage is generally not resisted. Haven't really had a chance to test Celestia-ToEE-Sunsword side by side though.
    It's better. Slightly more damage output and +20 Quality RP/MP/SP from Evil set.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfo View Post
    It's better. Slightly more damage output and +20 Quality RP/MP/SP from Evil set.
    I guess 26 is just before that sweet spot with legendary gear... never actually bothered crafting a set because ToEE is really a chore.

Why bother?

You can get lucky and get good weapons from Eveningstar challenge traders, but unless you get really lucky then you are better off saving your gem and your filigrees for the weapon you plan to use at cap.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hjeal_meh View Post
    better yet... from inventory like a potion.

Flowin' through my mind... Being here, dreaming there...

Can i have shields and orbs sentient?
    Quote Originally Posted by erethizon View Post
    ...Raiding is pointless because gear will eventually be replaced by better gear. Past lives are forever and thus are the only character improvement that is worth the trouble of acquiring...

No, unless shields&orbs get a sentient slot and 2handed weapons get a second slot
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    I play a guy with a two-hander not just in this game, but in every game that has 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-mann View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but then can you make 2hf NOT suck so much compared to 2wf or swf?
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    8 pages in, that train has already sailed. The dead horse is canned into cat food by now.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dragavon View Post
    Why bother?

You can get lucky and get good weapons from Eveningstar challenge traders, but unless you get really lucky then you are better off saving your gem and your filigrees for the weapon you plan to use at cap.
    Seriously?!
    Single epic alternative to spelltouched shurikens is Spite, the Fractured Shards - weapon from very costed p2p RLoft expansion, rare drop (or ad nauseum rune grind) from one raid!

Be handicapped to 45 RP and 6% DS until lvl29 if you have RLoft pack only and enough lucky to have appropriate drop from raid cannot be good advice, sorry.

Flowin' through my mind... Being here, dreaming there...

Quote Originally Posted by lyrecono View Post
    No, unless shields&orbs get a sentient slot and 2handed weapons get a second slot
    Nice too.
    Agreed.
    Quote Originally Posted by erethizon View Post
    ...Raiding is pointless because gear will eventually be replaced by better gear. Past lives are forever and thus are the only character improvement that is worth the trouble of acquiring...

Would be nice to wield a sentient weapon in the off-hand, without the buffs from it being a sentient weapon.(obviously with the buffs would be nice, but too much of a stretch)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast