Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I like this.
    TY

hey quick question.

For level 10 you say to run only VoN3 over and over, but I have just done a run on reaper, normal, and hard already and it hasn't even gotten me halfway through level 10 yet.

I'm not sure if I can get a full level off of this one quest :L

It's quite possible that he usually has extra XP going into level 10 to start it off (by running shadow crypt and spies a few times each at level 9).

If you haven't exhausted both of these quests (all difficulties); run them at level 10 to finish your level.
    He did mention that slavelords is an option. Not necessarily good xp, but definitely good loot.
    From my own experiance; running VoN 2 and 4 are pretty good xp as well if you have a group and can split up.
    Selvera: Half elf Fvs 20; Healer archer with a bit more of a damage build then usual
    Jen: Half Elf Fvs 20/Epic 10; Healer Archer with a more supportive build then usual
    Mayve: Tiefling Sorc 16; Just a pastlife for an alt

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by zehnvhex View Post
    - - Hirelings are best used as a 'mobile potion dispenser.' I have a 'summon to me' hotkeyed and a macro for 'target me, heal me and then stand still.' I almost never use a cleric hireling while in combat. It is almost always better to die and either have the hireling drag you to a rez stone (or rez you themselves) then it is to risk having both you and the hireling die in combat.
    Can you explain how you made this macro ? Seems quite handy

Community Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Krushyn View Post
    Can you explain how you made this macro ? Seems quite handy
    you can do it how DDO allows you to hotkey any button of the keyboard to any action.
    It just is a matter of having those keys next to each other so you can press them all in succession easily.
    For example, (modifier key)+ f1, f2, f3, f4, for all those hireling commands.

But he mentioned a macro for 3 actions so I don't know too if he made this or he is using a 3rd party program. I'd want to know a good one as well.
    Last edited by supot2; 07-22-2018 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Selvera View Post
    So... you suggest a number of quests that in my own testing I've determined to be not very good.
    Everything is based on solo times. If I had a perma-group I'd probably do a slightly different route with far less quest repetition. IE: Shadow Crypts entire chain is actually not bad XP if you have 4+ people. Even power builds suuuuuck when doing Shadow King solo.

For the most part the less xp/min quests usually end up being a factor of being right there. MIA, Irestone, Sacred Helm, VoN1, are all "Well I'm here anyways and I'm pretty much on autopilot by that point. MIA/SH/VoN1 are also all very zerg friendly due to sloppy mob pathing AI.

Irestone I've been thinking of cutting out lately though. The witch doctors are super annoying if you forgot to bring lesser resto pots. I just have a strong dislike for Depths chain (unfriendly to a lot of builds) and sharn chain has a lot of obnoxious quests. I might toy around with something and try to find something sexier.

---

All of sands can be hit or miss. I don't like to do a lot of running around within a single level, but I'm thinking of doing the following instead of doing all of sands:

- Tomb of the Blighted (REHN) (this is much more attractive now with TP to lower necropolis)
    - Sovereign Past (REHN) (still requires an opener to make not-obnoxious)
    - Memoirs (REHN) (dat reaper helm yo)

I think that would be better/faster. Sands isn't bad if you have a group, but the RNG nature of the wiz king side, the run time to chains, OOB. I'm not really sure it's worth the run. I'm going to test this on my next PL.

---

You can replace the Vale quests at the end with whatever you find easiest/most fun for you. I usually do Vale because I know I can throw an LFG up and get 5 people to carry me while I watch Netflix.
    Last edited by zehnvhex; 08-03-2018 at 10:42 PM.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ddo
    Building a Better DDO

Quote Originally Posted by supot2 View Post
    you can do it how DDO allows you to hotkey any button of the keyboard to any action.
    Yes. I have a macro keyboard. I bound all the hireling actions to weird key combo's and then just created macro's for most of their actions.

You could probably do similar with auto-hotkey.
    Building a Better DDO

Community Member

I tend to do a lot of the same quests but personally I HATE the necro quests. I don't care if they are good xp/min or not, I loath them. I always run the Sharn Syndicate series, it is fast and easy even on reaper. I always seem to get joiners to turn it into a real zergfest, which I then turn into a Depths series zerg (also fast and easy). Lv6 quests are an easy zerg run as well, it doesn't get a ton of xp but it is a fast zerg that nets a nice bit of favor and decent xp, again I always get joiners: Trolls, heretics, dead pred, mirra's, redwillow, caverns, halls, bounty hunter. Tear of D, and Gwylan's are also popular runs and I tend to get people joining that know the run, they go fast.

Edit: Also I do the Sentinels stuff to finish the saga; Loch, BoB, Beaches, and tide. All fast runs (only loch and tide take more than 5 min), I confess to accidentally finishing beaches before everyone gets into the quest in the past. I try to remember to do a check and make sure everyone is in before killing the last ballista. That might be a good one to repeat on E if solo.

I always run the von1-4 at the same time, again always get joiners, again ... zergfest.

I skip RL (don't like it), instead doing sands in its entirety on R1. WizK is a bit abusive in a sub-par group so if I have only 3 people I downgrade to elite, 4+ people with good chars I go r1. If solo, I go R1. Chains is annoying in its length but is necessary for flagging and still is not too much below 1k/min. I do diplo chain as well as lordsmarch2, both are simple enough and fairly quick. Reclamation, jewel, and hiding in plain sight are other ones I always run too. Maybe not optimal but I find them fun.

At 13 r1 GH Saga, 14 E GH Saga ->15. I love crucible for the fast xp, course a lot of GH is very fast esp in a group. Then roll through Mired, Memoirs, Grim, Brawl, Multitude, Subversion, disc of Shar, and Wheloon r1.

Again, I skip the necro trash, yeah nice fast xp but annoying in general and there's so much xp in motu I don't need them. 16 is r1 vale to hit 17. then its LoD r1, ES druid Chain r1, ES high road r1, ES Storm horns on hard. why on hard? Because, by this point, I am so close to cap anything higher puts me over before I finish WGU and doing it on hard is hella fast. Misc slayer to get last 10k to cap, swap to an unfinished magic destiny, turn in sagas, rTR. Yeah I have unfinished destinies even with 9 epl's and 6 ipl's (hate casters).

Overall definitely not as efficient as most folks but I do what keeps me sane And running necro anything or RL trash doesn't do it for me. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Ofc, I also do not generally run solo any more so that is probably a big difference. I usually post LFMs when I decide what I am doing then post and almost always get joiners turning my runs into zergs. I don't know why my group postings usually get people, but they do, I know others who can't get folks to join at all. Sometimes I join and they just hand the group over saying, "Hey you always get joiners, you take lead." Ugh and just when I was feeling like being lazy :P It's not like I am social or anything, usually a "hello, we are in X now", share quest and I don't say much till end of quest, give em the next one we are headed to, share it (usually x2 spaced out a bit in case someone was zoning) and repeat.

-Kassallana, Orien

Edit: For repeating relic, its not too bad really w/o a dedicated opener since the quest pick up and entrance are right next to teleport locations, unless your umd is to low to scroll it.
    Last edited by xenon211; 08-05-2018 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xenon211 View Post
    I tend to do a lot of the same quests
    Yeah if you can get a group rolling you can do literally any quest/path you want. I ~like~ Necro so it's not so bad, but I also play mostly AE spam classes. If you're playing like a ranger or artificer or something at that level they can be painful. There's something like 300 ghouls in Bloody Crypt. Ezpz for a sorc, a day long slog for a bow user.

This guide is by all means not for everyone. Personal preference, build, availability, opportunity, etc...are all going to change it up. I would recommend using is a template but putting your own twists on it. I lot of people like the depths chain and that's great! I -hate- the depths chain and thus it's not included.

I'm looking for ways to improve it. I'm going to try the sharn series again instead of Necro1, but I dislike the 'stand around and wait' of P1, the traps in the art gallery one, the bookbinder rescue while easier now is still a pita.

Getting good at Shadow Crypt though is, in my mind at least, essential for any good route. It's simply disgusting XP for the time invested if you can get an opener.
    Building a Better DDO

Played around a bit more the last two PL's trying to work out some optional/alternative paths. Again, this is all 100% solo. If you group, then you can literally do anything and it will be fast/efficient.

---

4~6: I dropped Irestone Inlet and Sacred Helm in favor of just finishing out the Catacombs series a bit early (at 4 instead of 5). This seems to work out a bit better. The 4th Catacomb quest can be a bit brutal without decent AE but overall I feel it's better than Irestone which has a lot of really annoying mobs in it. You could substitute the depths quests as well here but I'm not a big fan of them personally.

I tried the Sharn quest line again but the first quest is just simply too tedious and the one where you need a rogue or 16 in all major stats is kinda obnoxious. Okay for trapping builds or playing with a trapper, but not something I'm going to recommend for a general soloist.

I simply could not find a way to skip Necro 1 in a way that didn't make me want to pull my hair out. I tried Phiarlan Carnival and it's just brutal solo on R1. I tried the "level 6's, R1" thing but it's too much running around for my liking.

---

7~10

I gave it a shot skipping Shadow Crypt. I tried Pit/Tear and finishing the house D chain (Loch, etc...). It's okay but I ended up having to repeat a few of the high yield 3BC quests to make it as far as I normally do.

The big problem at this level is simply how lucrative Shadow Crypt is. In the time you take doing Pit or Tear, you could do 2 Shadow Crypts and even with ransack, the 2 shadow crypts are going to be more xp.

I also tried Red Fens and it was awful xp. A timed protect mission, an underwater quest way out in the middle of nowhere, etc...just terribad.

---

10~12

I've completely removed Sands from my path and have started doing Ravenloft 2 levels earlier. Mad Tea Party is the hardest part of the chain though and once I got the hang of doing it at 10 safely I've found it easier/more fun to simply do Ravenloft on reaper and then again on elite. This has really helped me build full Ravenloft sets of gear for all my alt builds as well so if/when I ever want to do a bard, i've got a full set of gear waiting at 10.

The diplo/attack/relic at level 11 is still really good as well so once I run out of loot to get from RL (stupid BTA barovian sceptre, drop already you filthy...) I'll go back to doing that. But until then RL on elite is pretty sweet.

If you absolutely hate RL, then sands is still okay. I've just fallen out of love with it due to how far out of the way everything is there.

---

13~15:

Gianthold and Necro4 are like, 80% of the quests available at this level as is. Mines of Bloated HP is right out. If you have trouble with some of the necro quests you can drop them for archon or devils gambit or something though. I know some people have troubles solo igniting the lightning elemental at the end of the golem quest and inferno can be brutal if you aren't familiar with the gimmicks. Temple of Vol and Ghosts of Perdition are insanely good xp once you figure out how to speed run them though.

---

16+:

Given that you no longer have to farm sigil parts, there's no reason to not do Litany every life. It's great xp and quick/easy especially once you memorize the job interview. After that the Cormyr/Huntsilver saga's are simply too good xp. Depending on my build I will drop some of the quests down to elite from reaper.

You ~can~ do missing, IQ, the rest of the Twelve, etc...instead but it's just...there's something about finishing WGU and turning in both saga's for like, what, 240k xp almost that's really, really fun.
    Building a Better DDO

Default Solo GH Saga?

I'm curious if you solo the entire GH saga or if you manage to find groups to run with. (Sorry for the sort of necro on this).

I'm running your Warlock build and it's been a great life! As usual though, I get to this point and look at the GH stuff. . .some stuff is simple to solo then you have Madstone, etc, that seem like they would be difficult to manage solo.

Last life, my 4th, I hit 20 without even touching Vale, not sure quite how that worked. With the ES/Wheloon chains and saga rewards I hit 20 with a little bit of slayers at the end. Even ended up running some of the final chain on HH since my dps didn't seem to be up to HE on those last 4.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by AdamPM View Post
    I'm curious if you solo the entire GH saga or if you manage to find groups to run with. (Sorry for the sort of necro on this).

I'm running your Warlock build and it's been a great life! As usual though, I get to this point and look at the GH stuff. . .some stuff is simple to solo then you have Madstone, etc, that seem like they would be difficult to manage solo.

Last life, my 4th, I hit 20 without even touching Vale, not sure quite how that worked. With the ES/Wheloon chains and saga rewards I hit 20 with a little bit of slayers at the end. Even ended up running some of the final chain on HH since my dps didn't seem to be up to HE on those last 4.

With changes to the game crucible is not soloable. You can no longer target the switches through walls to use hirelings in the maze. Madstone is relatively easily soloed with webs/evards/fod.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by spyder7723 View Post
    With changes to the game crucible is not soloable. You can no longer target the switches through walls to use hirelings in the maze. Madstone is relatively easily soloed with webs/evards/fod.
    Crucible is definitely solo-able still, just did it twice, it's just a bit trickier.. and if you fall when doing the top-of-the-maze jumping into a bad spot you can get kinda stuck :\

Just passive/stay your hireling and have them 'Use' with nothing targetted - they seem to just cycle through nearby use-able things, meaning they'll hit the switch first, then try to reach the nearest socket, then return to the switch.. the second hit of the switch seems less reliable though, as the hirelings are much more prone to wandering around stupidly and not *actually* staying than before. Having a second hireling (scarecrow, eliri gold seal, class pet, whatever) sitting near it can give you a lil' breathing room on that.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by losian2 View Post
    Crucible is definitely solo-able still, just did it twice, it's just a bit trickier.. and if you fall when doing the top-of-the-maze jumping into a bad spot you can get kinda stuck :\

Just passive/stay your hireling and have them 'Use' with nothing targetted - they seem to just cycle through nearby use-able things, meaning they'll hit the switch first, then try to reach the nearest socket, then return to the switch.. the second hit of the switch seems less reliable though, as the hirelings are much more prone to wandering around stupidly and not *actually* staying than before. Having a second hireling (scarecrow, eliri gold seal, class pet, whatever) sitting near it can give you a lil' breathing room on that.

Thanks for the update. I gave up after about 5 minutes of spaming the use button to no avail. Just assumed it was no longer possible.

Hirelings will attempt to use things in the direction you're facing if you don't have anything specifically targeted so you just need to face in the general direction of the switch and spam it. For good measure have them use it first as well and make sure you pick up everything off the ground.

For GH some pointers:

Feast - Use hirelings to open the 3 'potentially' trapped doors if you're not a trapper. They're all easy to dodge after they've been triggered.

Crucible - As above. Also keep in mind that hirelings can heal underwater so don't be afraid if you get nicked by one of the spike walls to stop and heal up. Bring a diplomacy and bluff item so you can make the diplo/bluff checks (If you don't have stuff for it to begin with). The intimidate check is an auto-succeed so you don't have to worry about that.

Madstone - Biggest thing you have to keep in mind is last guy has lesser globe of invuln so you have to use lvl 5+ spells to hurt him. For the second and third seers you can get all the dudes agro on you and then just stand out of LoS (Up on the ledge for 2nd seer, beneath the ledge for 3rd). You don't have to keep killing them since they'll just respawn. You can buff/heal the seers.

PoP - If you're lawful good, you only have to do up through Risia. No need to do Shav/Xor prisons. It's pretty much the reason I go LG on all my characters now when possible.

Tor - Try your best to not fall asleep during the first event where you're just killing giants for 10 minutes.
    Building a Better DDO

Community Member

Can somebody tell me what adventure packs all of these are so I can buy them to make sure I have all of them. Thank-you!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cilian View Post
    Can somebody tell me what adventure packs all of these are so I can buy them to make sure I have all of them. Thank-you!
    Ddowiki.com
    My phones auto correct/swype failed grammar school.

Community Member

Default uuh

What about lords of dust chain? It’s brilliant for xp at lv 15 & 16, and rly isn’t that hard (I solo the first two and do the others with my bro)

Quote Originally Posted by Meese View Post
    What about lords of dust chain? It’s brilliant for xp at lv 15 & 16, and rly isn’t that hard (I solo the first two and do the others with my bro)
    Lords of Dust isn't bad, but P2 and P4 are fairly long with lots of gated sections. Orthons and Flame Reavers can be rough for weaker builds as well.

Vale is what I would recommend at the end because it's older content so it follows the old XP calculator and mob hp/dmg tables. You can fill with whatever you enjoy though. If you like LoD more, then do LoD.
    Last edited by zehnvhex; 04-17-2019 at 07:18 AM.
    Building a Better DDO

Community Member

Certain quests are actually decent xp but only if you have a hardcore amount of firepower in your group. For instance, with a fire sorc or cleric with good turn undead, the graverobber (Jorasco level 7) turns into a good xp quest.
    Relic of a sovereign past is a good xp quest too if you have the firepower to do the 2 basic wings simultaneously and have about 1/3 of your party do the optional wing while the rest of the party heads towards the king. Why do the optional?
    Because a ton of xp in this quest is hidden inside monster manual dwarf slayers, there are lots of dwarf hunters available in that quest.
    But if you have to slog it solo, its not so great.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast