Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Community Member

I'm currently at level 11 with the OP build. This thing hits hard! Single target DPS is great.

Thanks a lot for the build, I was worrying about my FvS life but I think this will be a blast.
    I might try something similar for my bard life if I can work it out

Community Member

Glad you are enjoying it

Addendum: Finally got my hands on an Assassin's Kiss from ToEE, wow is that nice for this build. The extra +1 crit multi makes a big difference on crits (60-100 pts higher depending on lvl). Easily beats out anything else in my arsenal for everything except undead which is better handled by Barovian dagger. Works very well up to the point of 1.5-2k health mobs, then I swap over to Dice for imp vorpal.

Last time I ran through with this build I tried out Fan of Knives. Can't say I was impressed with it at all. Yes it hit multiple mobs, so its ok as an opener, but it hit for maybe as much as a single normal attack. To use it during a fight was folly as it vastly reduced my number of attacks. I found it much simpler to burn a Haste boost more often and actually use a shrine at some point during the quest. The best use I found for FoK was clearing out packs of mobs in low lvl heroic quests that I was farming for gear before my rTR.

Community Member

First off, thanks Xenon - I've wanted to play an Aasimar since they were announced but wasn't sure how to build around them. Looking forward to this. I'm looking to TR my lvl30 Pally and seems like this is a good fit, but I have a couple of questions. I created a Veteran status toon to test it out prior to actually TRing, but haven't played enough to get a good feel for it (still 7th level).

1. Plenty of comments above regarding daggers, but any other gear in particular beyond what a veteran player can logically deduce would help?
    2. Along those lines, is this a medium / heavy armor build? Bard spells are almost a side effect of the SB tree, so ASF seems like it shouldn't impact the build much at all.
    3. Play style - I found a good opening solo move is Soundburst to stun groups then take each one down. Later spells are all buff / heal, so in a group is this more of a wade into the thick of it build, or stay on the edge and single out stragglers?

I play with a static micro-guild (only 4 of us) so we usually try to complement each other's builds - just wanted to get an idea of how this behaves at higher & epic levels.

Thanks again!

Community Member

Hey Old_Skool, sorry for the long response time, I have been taking a bit of a gaming break and haven't been watching the forums.

Gearing, yeah you know the logical things that boost Wisdom, saves, health, etc. I like to combo the Vulkoor's might and Slave Lord's Might set bonuses at 7 and 8 which lasts nicely until my next crafted set. I don't play epic levels much so no real named gear there other than a few daggers and cannith crafted gears.

Swashie is always a light armor build.

Playstyle - in high difficulty this is a squishier build, think barb. Wading in hurts so pick around the edges. Good thing is none of the mobs live overly long. As a part of a group, in late teens I found myself being the groups healer instead of dps many times. But make no mistake, this build excels at killing big nasties so don't hang back and heal at bosses. Pop all those cd's and go to town on the boss and melt it.

edit: Oh boy, just noticed U39 hit and that falconer tree looks nice. Guess my break is over. I gotta get in, finish my druid life and work up a nice wis based, mass stunning, melee build. That is exactly what I was looking for in an enhancement tree w/o the need to go 1/2 levels into fvs. This has much potential.
    Last edited by xenon211; 07-26-2018 at 01:11 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by xenon211 View Post
    Last time I ran through with this build I tried out Fan of Knives. Can't say I was impressed with it at all. Yes it hit multiple mobs, so its ok as an opener, but it hit for maybe as much as a single normal attack. To use it during a fight was folly as it vastly reduced my number of attacks. I found it much simpler to burn a Haste boost more often and actually use a shrine at some point during the quest. The best use I found for FoK was clearing out packs of mobs in low lvl heroic quests that I was farming for gear before my rTR.
    While this is a bit of a necro, Fan of Knives doesn't really start to pay off until later levels. Let's say you're at level 30 with 60 Ranged Power, 120 Melee Power, 600 Force spellpower and 50% extra damage from Force criticals. That's 185 * 1.6 * 7 * 1.5 + 52.5 * 3.4 = 3287 damage per target. It's not Energy Burst, but for a free ability you get on the way to other abilities it's still very strong.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hjarki View Post
    While this is a bit of a necro, Fan of Knives doesn't really start to pay off until later levels. Let's say you're at level 30 with 60 Ranged Power, 120 Melee Power, 600 Force spellpower and 50% extra damage from Force criticals. That's 185 * 1.6 * 7 * 1.5 + 52.5 * 3.4 = 3287 damage per target. It's not Energy Burst, but for a free ability you get on the way to other abilities it's still very strong.
    I thought it only scaled via ranged power? Regardless, I will give it another go next time I run this build through epics and see how it does. That might be a while though as I have a few things I want to try with the new falconer tree. Add to that, that while this build makes for an easy melee FVS PL I've found that building for 3 or 4 cleaves + heals works a bit better for leveling speed in heroics. So it may be a while indeed before I run it again.

The Eternal Rapscallion Haphazarduk's Avatar

I thought it only scaled via ranged power? Regardless, I will give it another go next time I run this build through epics and see how it does. That might be a while though as I have a few things I want to try with the new falconer tree. Add to that, that while this build makes for an easy melee FVS PL I've found that building for 3 or 4 cleaves + heals works a bit better for leveling speed in heroics. So it may be a while indeed before I run it again.
    Does *anything* use spell power and ranged/melee power? I thought only ranged power too. I'm sure I tested with Force Power and didn't see any uplift but might be mistaken.

Hap

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hjarki View Post
    Are you sure you're not thinking of Spirit Blades? Because AFAIK Fan of Knives isn't affected by Spellpower.
    Major build threads: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard / Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Are you sure you're not thinking of Spirit Blades? Because AFAIK Fan of Knives isn't affected by Spellpower.
    No - I'm thinking of Fan of Knives. If you've got significant amounts of both Ranged Power and Force Spellpower/Critical it hits like a truck.

Community Member

Default Wheres the gear set at

Glad you are enjoying it

Addendum: Finally got my hands on an Assassin's Kiss from ToEE, wow is that nice for this build. The extra +1 crit multi makes a big difference on crits (60-100 pts higher depending on lvl). Easily beats out anything else in my arsenal for everything except undead which is better handled by Barovian dagger. Works very well up to the point of 1.5-2k health mobs, then I swap over to Dice for imp vorpal.

Can you post the gear you used running this build?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LawLessk View Post
    Can you post the gear you used running this build?
    Again, apologies for a delayed response (another gaming break) ... think I got most of the stuff minus a few items I'm sure. The missing stuff is weapons and a few swaps for various things (swim skill for crucible and whatnot).

ML2 items - crafted
    Head: Wisdom 2 Helmet of Spot 4
    Eyes: Seeker 2 Goggles of Deadly 2
    Neck: Constitution 2 Necklace of Search 4
    Back: Intelligence 2 Cloak of Natural Armor 2
    Wrist: Strength 2 Bracers of Fortification 43
    Hand: Wizardry 33 Gloves of Resistance 2
    Waist: Dodge Bonus 2 Belt of False Life 7
    Feet: Combat Mastery 2 Boots of Acid Guard 1d8
    Ring: Charisma 2 Ring of Dexterity 2
    Ring: Feather Fall Ring of Devotion 43
    Body: Vitality 6 Robe of Invulnerability
    Other: Boots of Anger x3, striding clickie swaps

ML5 items - crafted
    Head: Wisdom 4 Helmet of Spot 7
    Eyes: Seeker 4 Goggles of Deadly 3
    Neck: Constitution 4 Necklace of Search 7
    Back: Intelligence 4 Cloak of Natural Armor 4
    Wrist: Strength 4 Bracers of Fortification 59
    Hand: Wizardry 71 Gloves of Resistance 3
    Waist: Dodge Bonus 4 Belt of False Life 14
    Feet: Combat Mastery 3 Boots of Acid Guard 2d8
    Ring: Charisma 4 Ring of Dexterity 4
    Ring: Feather Fall Ring of Devotion 59
    Body: Vitality 12 Leather armor of Invulnerability
    other: Visor of the Flesh Render Guards (x3): 7 min DW clickie

ML7:
    CC - Seeker 5 Goggles of Deadly 4
    Bracers of the Claw: 5 Con, Fort 70
    Gloves of the Claw: 5 Str, Intim 10
    Claw set: +3 hit/dmg (artifact), +30% threat
    other: Twisted Talisman, mana clickie

ML8:
    Quicksilver Cassock: Striding 25, melee alacrity 10
    Symbol of the Slave Lords (might): TS, iCon 2, Dusk; Master's Gift, Hvy Fort; Eldritch Res Ritual, Mythic 1
    Hardened Hide Helm (might): Nat Armor 5, iFort 35, qMRR 2, qCon 1, Mythic 1; FF aug
    Slave Master's Cloak (might): iFL 8, Prot 4, spearblock II, iRes 1, Mythic 1; Def 6 aug
    SL Crafted Items:
    Five Rings (ring): Wis 5, Devotion 70, Heal 10, qWis 1, (sorc), Mythic 1
    Chains (waist): Cha 5, Pos lore 10, UMD 1, qCha 1, (sorc), Mythic 1
    Chains (neck): Dex 5, Resist 4, Bluff 10, qDex 1, (might), Mythic 1
    Shackles (feet): FL 18, Acc 6, Jump 10, qFL 4, (might), Mythic 1
    ((no idea what I was using for other ring))

ML10:
    Crafted:
    ring: Charisma 6 Ring Dexterity 6, iPRR 6; Fear Immune aug
    feet: Dodge 6 Boots of Strength 6, iDex 2; Blind Immune aug
    hands: Melee Alacrity 7 Gloves of Armor Pierce 9, iDevotion 38; Water Breathing aug
    head: Wisdom 6 Crown of Resistance 5, iFortification 38; FF aug
    cloak: Balance 12 Cloak of Natural Armor 6, iWisdom 2; Hvy Fort aug
    other: Negotiator's Spectacles, 12 Diplo, qDiplo 3 (swap for opts [GH])

ML11:
    GS Bracers of Smoke: 45 health, 6 dex skills, Perma Blur, Displacement clickie
    GS smoke goggles for displacement clickie
    Crafted: Dodge 7 Belt of False Life 23, iStr 2

ML12:
    Crafted:
    ring: Wizardry 129 Ring of Devotion 84, iMRR; Striding 20 aug
    body: Vitality 21 Leather armor of Healing Amp 25, Parrying 2; +1 Good Luck aug
    other: GS Great Axe (stone skin clickie); GS Kama (triple Hamp) healing swap

ML13:
    CC:
    Neck: Constitution 7 Necklace of Sheltering 17, iCon 3; DB aug
    Eyes: Seeker 7 Goggles of Deadly 6, iSeeker 3

An upgraded set can be made for lvl 17/18 but I never got around to it.

This is far from an optimized set for a FvS Swashie but it is pieces of what I had on hand combined with my old all-purpose melee TR set and hasn't appreciably changed since the crafting update (other than the Slave Lords items and a couple RL things). Some of the level splits on items make no sense unless you take into account the set was made long before slave lords was a thing and the augs in them etc etc. Many of the crafted mods would definitely be changed if I were to craft up a set specific to FvS Swash as well as where the mods reside on the various pcs.

Interesting thread; I've been tossing around the idea of combining vistani with swashbuckler with respecs to switch from shortsword to dagger and from empty hand to shield along the way. Adding in fvs is certainly an interesting bonus with a lot of benefits to it.

Power attack vs Precision -> Obviously this is early damage vs late damage and consistent damage vs damage vs problem foes.
    I'd probably either go for cleaves or precision. And yes; I know about en-point. And I love it. But I still usually like to have cleaves as backups. En-point has a cooldown.

Fighter splash -> An interesting add; stalwart defender is a good tree; especially in heroics where greater stalwart defense isn't overshadowed by epic defensive fighting. Kensai is also nice and also takes some heafty investment of AP. Without AP investment fighter is kind of lackluster; I feel like some of your feats are at least partially wasted. (maybe better spent on shield stuff).

An alternative splash that's quite powerful is barbarian; the passive bonuses it gives are quite good even without AP; and it's powerful splash enhancements are typically a bit weaker but easier to get with less AP. (Improved power attack; I like pain; Knockout; guarding bond; sprint boost; blood tribute)

Daggers -> Don't forget the nightforge stiletto. Very good dagger that's very easy to acquire, even for newer or f2p players.

Aasimar -> Sure; the most OP newest p2p race is the best for every build. But I'd rather keep a build for racial reincarnations not tied to any race.

Wis vs Cha -> Really the only reasons for going wis based are falconry (which you don't use) and mass frog (which you don't take) or monk (which you aren't). Cha gives bard DC's, Use Magic Device, and could theoretically throw in a usable energy burst if you wanted. I'm pretty sold on cha simply from the UMD bonus.
    Selvera: Half elf Fvs 20; Healer archer with a bit more of a damage build then usual
    Jen: Half Elf Fvs 20/Epic 10; Healer Archer with a more supportive build then usual
    Mayve: Tiefling Sorc 16; Just a pastlife for an alt

Community Member

You're completely correct Selvera, lots of room for tweaks and changes to bring things around to the focus you want. I started the build as a way to get FvS PLs, from there it morphed into a fun melee build for rTR's. Only ran it through epics twice I think. Mainly been running FvS AA in iconic/epic builds and FvS Evokers in heroics of late. One of these days I'll get back to swashie.

You make a very good point with Barb as a splash option, lose a feat or two from ftr but gain some offense and a few options (<3 tribute). I'll have to toss that into the planner and see what it looks like. Too bad I don't have any H-orc lives left, be nice to dbl dip the imp PA. That'd be kinda sick damage for heroics with Assassin's Kiss. Hmm and with supreme cleave helping the aoe out, might be worth trying. Defenses would suck by around lvl 17 though, but seeing as how often I end up in group healing mode, probably not an issue.

I tried Cha build a couple times, I didn't care for it that much. Aasimar healing hands scales off of wisdom so I just left wisdom for the default. Charisma based is absolutely doable and probably preferable depending on what you want as a specific focus but wisdom works for me personally. I know frog isn't listed, but have run with that a time or two and it's a nice feat choice as well.

I treat all "builds" I find on the forums as a template that can be modified to suit my needs, this one certainly fits that category, lot of options to tweak or remove or add to as desired.

Community Member

I played a swashbuckler without cleave back when they were op and I hated it. I don't care if you one shot everything, it's slow. But this build can fit in cleaves with a bit of tinkering. I need FVS lives and I just went through a caster cleric life I don't want to try again. It's good in epic with EA and Divine Wrath, but a Warlock can do that just as well.

So, thanks for posting this build I will be giving it a shot. I have all levels of the spectral dagger and Dice I think those are all you need. Dice will see you nicely through the last few levels and is pretty easy to farm. I will only be taking this build to 20 though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123