Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Whitering View Post
    I may try this build for my fighter life, but I like to believe I will get more out of 12 pts into Elf for extended displacement, I am probably wrong? Thoughts? I could do the Asimaar build but think they are ugly lol
    You *can* have it all!
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...placement-Tank

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by savingsoul View Post
    Ya, but as I said...Aasimar are ugly. Yes, I am an elf nerd, a cat person (I don't own cats, I just like them, and think dogs are gross), and I love Rome.

Community Member

OP,

Thinking hard about this build and it looks great but I have some questions.

You take the 2HF feats but your gear setup but your gear setup is S&B using a tower shield and a bastard sword. Do you feel the Stalwart/Sacred Shield Mastery replace the shield feats? And it the Divinity just for show and minor damage as you tank or would you need SWF feats?

From the setup it looks like you level as a greatsword/greataxe/falchion swinger.

Finally, how past life intensive it is? The character I am looking to TR into it does not have many past lives of any kind (plenty of EDs though) and no melee past lives.

Many thanks!
    ~ Alco Holic ~ Grlfriendaggro Pizzenmeoff ~ Rincewind the Damp ~ Sunbernt Junk ~ Ouchmy Leghurtz ~
    ~ Bobthesponge Squarethepants ~ Whaleoil Beef Hooked~
    ~Ascent~

1) THF feats work with bastardsword + shield; swf feats do not.

2) Chances are they do level as THF. Unless in a static group leveling as a pure tank is fairly painful.

3) Pastlives are fairly important for tanks. From my (now outdated) calculations a while back; pastlives can count for ~10% HP, ~15% PRR, ~15% AC, give or take. Add those all up; and a tank without the pastlives is only about 2/3 as tanky as a tank with the pastlives, even if they're using the same gear and build.

But... my pastlife effect calculations are a bit outdated; as they've added more powercreep (which devalues pastlives) and they added more types of pastlives (which make pastlives more important) and they've added reaper trees (which... well yeah. Give a metric ton of HP).
    Selvera: Human Fighter 18; Inquisitive build
    Jen: Half Elf Fvs 20/Epic 10; Healer Archer with a more supportive build then usual
    Mayve: Tiefling Sorc 14; Just a pastlife for an alt

Quote Originally Posted by Selvera View Post
    ...2) Chances are they do level as THF. Unless in a static group leveling as a pure tank is fairly painful.

This is a subjective statement. I level as a tank myself, I don't find it to be painful even on Reaper difficulty. It is different then my DC Caster or my DPS Range Build or my nuker. But then again, I use features of being a tank and gear appropriately since DPS is not the focus - IE secondary effects as well as improvements that came with the Vanguard Tree that turn the shield into more then decoration for an idle hand.

Community Member

1) THF feats work with bastardsword + shield; swf feats do not.

2) Chances are they do level as THF. Unless in a static group leveling as a pure tank is fairly painful.

3) Pastlives are fairly important for tanks. From my (now outdated) calculations a while back; pastlives can count for ~10% HP, ~15% PRR, ~15% AC, give or take. Add those all up; and a tank without the pastlives is only about 2/3 as tanky as a tank with the pastlives, even if they're using the same gear and build.

But... my pastlife effect calculations are a bit outdated; as they've added more powercreep (which devalues pastlives) and they added more types of pastlives (which make pastlives more important) and they've added reaper trees (which... well yeah. Give a metric ton of HP).
    Thanks - forgot about the bastard sword 2HF thing.

I can stone and pick up some past lives fast but that is a limited resource - I don't have that many Otto's boxes lying around. (Not including Iconic PL as that requires leveling to 30).

Thinking to rank the PLs I would say:
    1. Fighter (Attack/DCs)
    2. Pally (HA)
    3. Warlock (MRR)
    4. Monk (Damage)
    5. Barb (HP)
    6. All else...

Agree? As stated, that list only has heroic past lives, but could consider racial for Horc (Intim/STR), Dwarf (Balance/CON) or Gnome (UMD)

Any thoughts are appreciated.
    Last edited by AlcoArgo; 05-17-2018 at 02:19 PM.
    ~ Alco Holic ~ Grlfriendaggro Pizzenmeoff ~ Rincewind the Damp ~ Sunbernt Junk ~ Ouchmy Leghurtz ~
    ~Ascent~

My list of important pastlives for a tank would pretty much be as follows:

1) Doublestrike (IMO the best martial, as it helps threat generation; but some builds might like skill mastery for the +intim instead)
    2) (Brace OR Block Energy)
    3) Enchant Weapon
    4) Fast healing (mostly just to get epic completionist)
    5) Pally
    6) PDK
    7) Warlock
    8) Other martial pastlives
    9) Other divine pastlives
    10) Monk
    11) Dwarf
    12) Warforged

Umm yeah... other players might have a different list; but the main power to tanks from my calculations come from AC and PRR pastlives; which are best found in epic pastlives. Barbarians are nice as a 1 pastlife to get the pastlife feat as well as the +10 HP. I think that some tank builds give up on tactics in order to get tankier; but others use tactics (and would thus need fighter pastlives). Epic completionist is pretty good to aim for for the extra twist. And racial AP are quite useful for a lot of races that might be tanking (aasimar/elf/dwarf), thus racial AP pastlives are good.
    Selvera: Human Fighter 18; Inquisitive build
    Jen: Half Elf Fvs 20/Epic 10; Healer Archer with a more supportive build then usual
    Mayve: Tiefling Sorc 14; Just a pastlife for an alt

Community Member

My list of important pastlives for a tank would pretty much be as follows:

1) Doublestrike (IMO the best martial, as it helps threat generation; but some builds might like skill mastery for the +intim instead)
    2) (Brace OR Block Energy)
    3) Enchant Weapon
    4) Fast healing (mostly just to get epic completionist)
    5) Pally
    6) PDK
    7) Warlock
    8) Other martial pastlives
    9) Other divine pastlives
    10) Monk
    11) Dwarf
    12) Warforged

Umm yeah... other players might have a different list; but the main power to tanks from my calculations come from AC and PRR pastlives; which are best found in epic pastlives. Barbarians are nice as a 1 pastlife to get the pastlife feat as well as the +10 HP. I think that some tank builds give up on tactics in order to get tankier; but others use tactics (and would thus need fighter pastlives). Epic completionist is pretty good to aim for for the extra twist. And racial AP are quite useful for a lot of races that might be tanking (aasimar/elf/dwarf), thus racial AP pastlives are good.
    Perfect. Good news is that I have several of the Epic Past Lives already.

~Ascent~

Community Member

Default Breakdown?

These numbers seem extremely high. I have a tank that has nowhere near these numbers and I've tried to out him together very well. Is there a breakdown of the HP? Because 5k seems unreachable. So does 400 PRR and 420 Ac

Community Member

This was before EDF and the nerf to Fighter and Paladin defense stances. Previous they would stack, now they are all the same type as EDF "Competence Bonus". The biggest bonus by far is the five set LGS which gives ridiculous bonus to HP, it's a pure "Capped Top tank" build that requires you to level in one build, lesser reincarnate and rebuild to pure tank once the person is finished all the PL's and at 30.
    Last edited by palladin9479; 03-28-2019 at 04:55 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12