Community Member

Default I question the utility of Bigby's Hand as a consumable item

I like the idea of Bigby's Guiding Hand, in principle it's a good tool for encouraging cooperation between players, but making it a consumable item that's only available from the store puts a pretty high barrier on its use. If the goal is to encourage people to play together (this should be the goal) then you want people to use these things.

I realize that complaining about prices and asking for free stuff is the norm, and I get the profit motive but this one seems... odd. Making it a premium store-only item isn't the worst, but if it's going to be a premium item then it shouldn't be a consumable one. I don't think I've ever seen someone use one of these.

How about an item which recharges with rest or something? Still premium, just reusable. You can get people to spend more money by offering one in each color.

I have a truly gigantic stack of these since I got a bunch of travelers trunks during the 75% sale, and I have yet to really make use of them.

Community Member

We use them to be funny, not informative. Nobody's ever bought any.

When they were new, some used them in Deathwyrm. The group was split up and you can point out the portals. I thought that was really clever and the perfect use. Other than that I haven't seen any use, cause most dungeons aren't build where you have to make a choice 'either/or. You'll practically get forced to take the right way or if there are crossroads you have to go both ways anyway because most questdesign follows from A --> B --> C --> X

I like the basic idea though. I would buy a rechargeable one (3 charges a day) if there would be more situation in need just to have fun.

Come to think of it. It would be nice if you could see them on the map too, tbh.
    Beste, Titus.
    Don't do the fun wrong || New to Orien? Join Titan Channel || Soko Irrlicht rekrutiert.

Quote Originally Posted by TitusOvid View Post
    I like the basic idea though. I would buy a rechargeable one (3 charges a day) if there would be more situation in need just to have fun.

Come to think of it. It would be nice if you could see them on the map too, tbh.
    A rechargeable one would be pretty sweet And they do show up on the map! I can see them becoming rather handy in the ravenloft explorer area for groups who want to see some sights rather than just rely on the teleporters... I've used them a couple of times for showing people around areas like the desert & the underdark where it's a less direct route to get to a specific destination.
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Because they're consumable, I can't imagine every spending even 1 TP on them. Further, because they are consumable, I would literally throw them away if i got them for free, like from a daily dice roll.

A rechargable clicky version might be nice for crystal cove, I suppose. Place them at good purple locations, or when bosses appear.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TitusOvid View Post
    most dungeons aren't build where you have to make a choice 'either/or. You'll practically get forced to take the right way or if there are crossroads you have to go both ways anyway because most questdesign follows from A --> B --> C --> X
    Yeah, that's sort of the hilarious part. Build quests on rails, sell pointers. I'd love to see those numbers on the sheet.

Community Member

If this were a function that everyone could use all the time for free... I still wouldn't use it.

2014 DDO Players Council

In addition to the idea of a rechargeable store item, they could have the consumable version available for moderately high amounts of plat. We need more decent plat sinks, and I don't mean getting charged 300,000 plat to do an enhancement reset. Heck, they could just have them be for sale as one of the several missing high-level favor rewards, and, lame as that would be, kill two birds with one stone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    As a general rule we don't intend for a single spawn area to cause any dungeon alert, and certainly not red dungeon alert. This basically isn't ever a goal in our designs

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

1/day clicky min level 1
    equips to trinket slot

would be a good item for the next expansion(s) or some festival(s)

I prefer my buttons of winning, because i'm a winner.

They are way overpriced.

packs of 5 or 25 for 195–650 TP
    so.. buy 25 Bigby's hands for 650DP.... nope....
    The cheapest pack works out to 26 points each.
    These should be selling for 1point each as a consumable that gives no buff..

I would buy a BTA permanent clicky version with 3x/rest usage.. would even pay up to 1k points for it.. would buy Multiple colours even..
    but as a single use consumable it has no purchasable value to me.. novelty items need to be cheap...

It was brought up when they first became available as part of the travellers trunk..
    Sept2015
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...k-Bigby-s-Hand
    It was pointed out then that the Bigby's hand novelty consumable was too expensive and that a permanent clicky would be preferred.. but nothing changed..
    Last edited by JOTMON; 12-01-2017 at 10:45 AM.
    Jotmon -
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200
    Argo-Jotmon(HC 28/42,EC 26/36,IC 17/15,RC 14/30), Jotlock(HC 38/42,EC 36/36,IC 15/15, RC 0/30)..
    and several once viable raiding alts dumped into the packmule stables..

Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Too bad I 'purchased' maximum character slots for my account, SSG has now chosen to cater the giveaway perks to benefit multiple freebie accounts instead of the paying customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapco View Post
    Yeah, that's sort of the hilarious part. Build quests on rails, sell pointers. I'd love to see those numbers on the sheet.
    There are however numerous places in DDO where the map tech fails you utterly. And if you're trying to catch up to the group knowing that you have to go west here in order to ultimately end up over on the east is kinda useful.

Tempest Spine springs to mind, but there are plenty of others.

Of course... if the map tech was better, that would likely be less of an issue also.

But yeah - a uses per rest clicky with a long duration and a long cooldown would be something I might actually sink TP on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by Amundir View Post
    My words are great. Even out of context.

Community Member

Someone screen capture a bigby's hand pointing to a soul stone.

Community Member

Default Useful

In the new raid last night someone found a use for these marking the rooms that we needed in the middle of the raid as we looked for all of rooms we needed.

All of the above.

I do appreciate them being unbound when they come around on the weekly coupon cycle. That way I can AH them off to someone who might actually use them.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies