Default Best Three Person Party Classes

Hi All,

I am looking at coming back with a few of my friends after a very long time away. Since so much has changed we are looking at starting new characters to try and get to the point where we can reincarnate. I am wondering what is the best builds for a three person party so that we should be able to do most things.

There aren't really any limitations class wise for two of us but the third really just has the basic classes although they also have drow unlocked.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

I expect people recommending 3 warlocks.
    I'd recommend one to have trap and open lock skills maxed, one should have CC (bard fascinate is easiest to build, Count of Monte Christo is nice build for that), and at least one should have high STR for some levers. For raids you will need some (self) healing.

If you want to have all optionals everywhere, you need all social skills, trapmaking, arcane and divine spell knowledge, lots of swim and mix of high stats. Shortmaning raids and some quest benefit from abundant step- like ability.

Hope this helps.

3 Warlo... oh.

Yeah, def need a Trapper, altho' note that doesn't necessarily mean a "Rogue". Many builds can Trap 100% w/ just 1 starting Rogue Level, and then go off in a diff direction. While a Rogue Mechanic (great cross-bow) build is a great addition w/ Ranged DPS, a Tempest/Deepwod Trapmonkey (Ranger/Trapper, 2-weapon or Ranged) or Pale Trapper (Wizard w/ Rogue splash) are also solid routes. Or a (pure?) Artificer - repeater + spells + pet, a definite win.

A Bard is a good recommendation, as it gives both decent party healing and CC, which is helpful w/ a short-man group.

Quote Originally Posted by Drelak View Post
    (bard fascinate is easiest to build, Count of Monte Christo is nice build for that)
    That comes from the "Build Repository", specifically, this build (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...e-swashbuckler). As presented it's not perfectly New-Player friendly, but could be adapted easily enough (asks for Harper Tree as-is, but that's not central to the build - put those 10 points somewhere similar(ish), done).

The last should be high DPS imo, but that is wide open to fill. Barb is a classic, but a tactical fighter (trip, stun, etc.) could do great too.

I'd also suggest someone w/ Dimension Door - VERY handy for a lot of quests, and for getting a small party out of a jam. Could easily be combined w/ the above (both the Trapmonkey and Pale Trapper have it), and there are other builds that have it too.
    Last edited by C-Dog; 11-11-2017 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuushuu View Post
    Hi All,

I am looking at coming back with a few of my friends after a very long time away. Since so much has changed we are looking at starting new characters to try and get to the point where we can reincarnate. I am wondering what is the best builds for a three person party so that we should be able to do most things.

There aren't really any limitations class wise for two of us but the third really just has the basic classes although they also have drow unlocked.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
    It's hard to fit absolutely everything into a three-man group, but you should still be able to fill out all the essential roles.

1. Warlock
    A typical choice, but the Warlock is actually very important since they can be a tank, DPS, and a secondary healer. Depending on how your group plays, Enlightened Spirit tank or DPS with Cone/Chain might be best.
    Don't forget extra crowd control from tentacles.

2. Artificer
    This character is doing all the traps, strong secondary healing and probably the highest damage output, depending on what type of Warlock you have. Healing comes from Curative Admixture spells and you can choose between crossbows or lightning spells for DPS; either way, it will be strong.

3. Bard
    The main use of this character is for crowd control and healing. Spellsinger is the best choice, but a Warchanter with ice CC is strong as well. Either way, you have fascinate.
    Alternately, go a pure healer.

Hope this helps.

Why not go druid, artificer & pale master? Gives you traps, heals, whatever mix of DPS & tankiness suits you, and 3 controllable pets for lever-pulling and whatnot

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Welcome back, OP.

TBH you can make pretty much any static trio work for DDO. If you want the classic tank/DPS/heals MMO combo, you could certainly do that with, say, a paladin / rogue / cleric trio. If you want an all-melee self-healing trio, you could do barb / rgr / bard trio. If you wanted three different ranged toons, you could do AA / shurimonk / repeater rogue trio. If you wanted an all-caster trio, you could do that. And yeah, you could go with a trio of warlocks, each of whom specializes in a different Enhancement tree, if you wanna play Easy Mode.

Basically, don't feel constrained by conventional MMO design. Instead think about how you want to play together as a team and find builds which complement that. E.g., do you want a trapper in the group for the bonus XP or to improve the survivability of the other party members (who might not be used to dodging traps)? Lots of builds for that: pure rogue, pure Artificer, rogue-splashed ranger, rogue / wizards, etc. Do you wanted a dedicated party healer? Cleric is the obvious choice, but Favored Soul, druid, or even bard can fill that role. Or alternatively, do you want everyone to be a self-healer? Again, several classes have healing these days. Do you want someone with good crowd control powers? That's something wizards, bards, or druids can excel at, IMO; also Earth domain clerics get Earthquake too, which is still one of the best AoE CC spells. Etc.
    Revisiting the Classics: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard
    Other build threads: Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

Community Member

Hi Kyuushuu

I think others already have given suggestions for builds. I just wanted to add that if one of you plays a shooter make sure that person knows to shoot at the casters and not on the mobs engaged in combat with the melees. I played with my brother and he changed his build cause he got really anoyed running around trying to hit stuff while i shot the down. Just a friendly advice.

As a side note if you only plan to play on up to elite i think you should just play what you like and use hirelings. The game is meant to be fun so you main goal should be to have fun. You will probably make some mistakes - i have made many and still do - and learn what to do and not to do for your next life.

if you all play ranged toons it will be a breeze—sorc/mechanic/arti etc any combo just have trapper.
    ROGUE Part QUATRE: Prove your Stealth Skills!

Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist), Naerfelka (farmer)

The early game is fairly simple on normal or hard with hirelings. You can't hire a rogue except with premium currency, so make sure somebody brings at least one level of rogue, as many have said.

You get huge amount of extra skill points in the first level, so make the rogue splash the first level.

3 Players I'd suggest:

All F2P
    --------

1x Greatsword/Greataxe wielding 2 Fighter / 18 Paladin or Barbarian {take Fighter levels at Lvl 1 and 4 to get Cleave+Great Cleave early as poss}
    1x Rogue Mechanic
    1x Whatever

Mix of F2P and P2P
    ---------------------

1x Warlock {Put 15 Action points into Tainted Scholar asap}
    1x Rogue Mechanic/Artificer
    1x Whatever

Use Cleric Hirelings for heals - Don't relegate one guy to healer unless he actually wants to play that role.
    Last edited by FranOhmsford; 11-11-2017 at 08:29 PM.

Remember that you can't take hirelings to raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Drelak View Post
    Remember that you can't take hirelings to raids.
    3 manning Raids isn't something newbies should be planning on - How about they actually put an LFM up for those?

I'm thinking three pure builds:

Rogue Mechanic (int-based; human for extra feat?)
    Ranger Arcane Archer (dex-based with wisdom for paralyzing arrows; elf?)
    Caster Cleric (wis-based; human or aasimar)

- Rogue handles traps, of course, and also dishes out a tremendous amount of damage. I prefer great crossbow, but repeaters are excellent.
    - Ranger locks down trash with paralyzing arrows and curb stomps bosses with manyshot
    - Cleric can spam light SLAs, insta-kill, greater command, and toss out heals to the other two
    - Starting at level 11, ranger can toss cures to cleric in reaper

The cleric should largely be able to keep himself upright even in reaper, but it's nice for the ranger to help out once he gets cure moderate/serious at 11 and 14.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuushuu View Post
    Two Warlocks and a Rogue Mechanic.

Here you have trapping handled, and by a strong build, and three classes with UMD as class skills for healing.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    Many builds can Trap 100% w/ just 1 starting Rogue Level, and then go off in a diff direction.
    Any class with a high intelligence and 1 Rogue level can be as good a trapper as a pure rogue. You might need to sacrifice some of the typical class skills, but not even in every case.

I had been very happy with Rogue 2 splash trap skills, until High road castle quest, where optional requires actual trapmaking feat (Arti/Rog 4).

Community Member

Default Keeping it simple

As said above, lots of combinations can work. My suggestion for a simple, mostly free to play, option would be:

Dwarf barbarian, greataxe - not a true tank but ton of hit points, grabs aggro
    Int-based rogue mechanic with crossbow. Human or Drow. Hangs back in combat, does massive ranged damage. Can also deal with all the traps. Only thing is you really want harper tree for this.
    Human cleric. Mainly focuses on heals, but can add something with spells or melee as preferred.

Everyone will feel active in this set up. Survivability should be good. All simple to build and play, with no multiclassing or complex game mechanics.

I ran with two friends for several years back in the day.

We had a barbarian, a cleric, and a bard/rogue (me).

It was a pretty decent combo.

My bard/rogue was a very good support character. I handled the traps, cast the haste and rage and blur spells, did some crowd-control, and could heal too.

Decent at fighting too, especially if I let the barb get aggro, so I could get sneak attacks, and not get hit.

Basically, I highly recommend a melee fighter, a caster, and then maybe a bard/rogue or a repeater rogue. But someone should be able to heal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

Community Member

Warlock comments aside, here's what I'd do.

1. Rogue or Artificer. Xbow ranged DPS and traps. I'd probably go Rogue 2/Arti 18 for evasion. Warforged for self heals.
    2. Bard Healer/CC
    3. Paladin Sword and Board tank w/intimidate

Everyone in the party can heal. This is huge as you get into more difficult content.
    Stratis on Khyber

Want to know my build?
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...il-of-the-Bard

With a three man time you just want to avoid over-specialization and builds that are particularly weak against specific foes. Extra bodies also helps on a small team so the pet classes get a point or two. With those thoughts in mind *I* would be inclined to got the Artificer, PM Wizard, Druid route. A big ol' melee Artificer might be a good match, too.
    Bogenbroom's legion... 102 characters, 3 accounts, and 1 irate wife.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fivetigers33 View Post
    Warlock comments aside, here's what I'd do.

1. Rogue or Artificer. Xbow ranged DPS and traps. I'd probably go Rogue 2/Arti 18 for evasion. Warforged for self heals.
    2. Bard Healer/CC
    3. Paladin Sword and Board tank w/intimidate

Everyone in the party can heal. This is huge as you get into more difficult content.
    There are a couple problems with this suggestion. "Everyone can heal" doesn't really apply to a Warforged Artificer, since he can only heal himself, and other characters have a large penalty when attempting to heal him. The Arti does have some small group healing possibilities via tossing potions, but doesn't have the spell slots to take many without losing out on other very good options. For the Paladin: Lay on Hands can run out fast, Paladins get their spells at a very slow rate, and they are a low skill points and low Intelligence class which does not have UMD as a class skill.

UMD never runs out of charges. And combined with wand and scroll mastery which both Warlocks and Rogues have access to, scroll and wand healing supplemented by every player carrying their own CSW potions and effect cleansers (and the option to take along Cleric or FvS hirelings) makes for some very effective group healing.

So I'd suggest:

1) Warlock Sword and Board tank w/intimidate (The Voodu build)
    2) Warlock first-life-friendly CC build (Build post here)
    3) Rogue Mechanic (which is a strong build even w/o Harper for the member of the group who may not have that option yet)

Between the two Warlocks you cover two different elements (sonic and acid) to cover monster immunities, strong CC which isn't dependent on Spell Penetration (2x Evard's and Web, Confusion), and strong UMD skills. The Rogue adds trapping, significant ranged damage, a lot of utility including some CC, and strong skills.