Community Member

Default Extreme dislike of current design for farmed ingredients

I have spent the last 2 hours attempting just to get 3 house-sealed letters in the Unhallowed Tomb quest. Run in, kill to shelf, loot shelf, and run out to exit.

It is my personal opinion that this system is completely rigged to screw the player over entirely. In 2 hours I have only gotten 1 house-sealed letter. But I have gotten a TON of romantic sonnets, runic parchments and 4 or 5 tomes.

Just so I can craft a piece of gear for a lowbie warlock.

This is a horrible system. This does not feel rewarding, or even a fair evaluation for ones time spent on something with zero gain towards the actual goal attempting to be spent. This just proves that crafting is a GIANT pita in the new design.

In the previous design at least we could get things to make the stuff we wanted. Now, it is improbable that I will ever get what I'm looking for.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by RezotheRed View Post
    I have spent the last 2 hours attempting just to get 3 house-sealed letters in the Unhallowed Tomb quest. Run in, kill to shelf, loot shelf, and run out to exit.

It is my personal opinion that this system is completely rigged to screw the player over entirely. In 2 hours I have only gotten 1 house-sealed letter. But I have gotten a TON of romantic sonnets, runic parchments and 4 or 5 tomes.

This is a horrible system. This does not feel rewarding, or even a fair evaluation for ones time spent on something with zero gain towards the actual goal attempting to be spent. This just proves that crafting is a GIANT pita in the new design.

In the previous design at least we could get things to make the stuff we wanted. Now, it is improbable that I will ever get what I'm looking for.
    They should fix the Collectable Exchange dudes in Eveningstar to allow exchanging collectabkes. Currently they are bugged copies of the Challenge vendors.

I agree to a point. I think the system is fine, its more that certain collectables have too low of a drop rate and maybe even too limited of drop locations. my biggest problem is Polished Ore. aside from the handful I had prior to the new CC, all of the ones I have gotten were from the AH and that is rare to find even there. you would think even through normal leveling at least 1 would drop.
    #MakeDDOGreatAgain

You are the one choosing not to play alts.

Casual player now investing way less than I used to into the game, playing 1-3 months at a time and still want nothing to do with Reaper. #improvepuggrouping#alldifficultiesmatter

So far I have managed to get what I need for crafting without any outrageous farming. However, I do agree that some of the ingredients drop too rarely and cause needless misery to get. The worst ones are the uncommon drops from breakables that yield 3 "families" of collectables at certain tiers. Glass Phials, for example. So, your chance of pulling one drops from roughly 1 in 3 to roughly 1 in 27. I wish they would fix it so that no breakable at any level yields more than 2 families of collectables.
    Snarly Dwarf Chick With A Great Axe

Community Member

Honestly, the easiest and smartest way to solve this is to put in a trading system for 5 of a common tier, into 1 of the uncommon. Then 5 of the uncommon into 1 of the rare.

Otherwise, they have WAY too many currencies and it just complicates the game to a GIGANTIC level of pain and annoyance. As it currently stands, I no longer wish to use the crafting system. It is completely way too annoying to get mats.

The hunt for garbage is so obscene at eating your time.

It really does not help with all of these people who have reincarnated a billion times bogging the AH with prices that are impossible if you don't live your life in this game doing the same thing as them.

Quote Originally Posted by RezotheRed View Post

So, you're saying it's a picnic compared to crafting systems in other games . . .

I've spent over 20 hours trying to get Cursed Blade of Jack Jibbers. Still no dice.

Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes

Not belittling the fundamental issue with the system, but do Eyes of Stone HC instead. 3 bookcases in the library - I was pulling my hair out with the Tomb to farm them too; this is a million times less painful (or at least 2-3 times).
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    In Von 3 the breakables in the Troll Ambassador optional room are slow to get to and unnecessary for ransack.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

Community Member

I have absolutely NO problem, ever, needing stuff to craft. I have picked up EVERYTHING for the last 10 years and YES the new crafting ingredients were rough to find but I have a 394 crafter and have crafted everything available. Yeah, getting the stuff you need at the time you need is a life long endeavor in game and out but if you need help AND if you're on Khyber I can hook you up.

If you're not on Khyber you might want to go up to the forum group for your world and ask for some help.

I also agree with all that said about trading in 5 for 1 or even 10 to 1 for a higher level ingredient.

It's fine the way it is.

If it was too easy to farm ingredients there would be no point to having random loot.

Community Member

I agree that some sort of trade-in would be nice, but Delirium is a better place to farm house-sealed letters, 3 in the library then one in the kitchen, then recall.

Quote Originally Posted by BentoBox View Post
    I agree that some sort of trade-in would be nice, but Delirium is a better place to farm house-sealed letters, 3 in the library then one in the kitchen, then recall.
    Nice tip, I'll have to check that out.

Community Member

I would like to thank everyone that has spent time to offer advice and tips.

In total I spent 3 hours doing that awful grind with the Tomb. Added in the second shelf further down and occasionally got glass phials out of it.

I did this in the range of 75 to 90 attempts. I'm not exactly sure how many but I got a lot of not what I was looking for.

Out of all that time and attempts. I only got 2 house-sealed letters. But I got around 6 or 7 of the rare drops and an obscene amount of runic parchments and romantic sonnets.

Someone else commented that it was a walk in the park compared to other crafting systems in different games. My opinion to that is the exact opposite. I have played other games where crafting makes a lot more sense and the systems are a lot more informative. But to be fair, this system has a lot of unbalanced potential also. The same materials needed for a character at level 10, is almost the same for a level 20 when you consider the specific shards. Only the minimum level shard changes.

But this game was designed with a currency system intended to destroy the player's inventory. Thus to encourage purchases for inventory space with collectible bags, gem bags, and then crafting bags. Now we can get crafting space in the shared bank. But it was never designed to help the player from the start.

Considering that my biggest character I have ever had is only a lvl 20 Artificer and only recently got there. My group that I play with keeps moving to other games. I don't get many chances to get stuff through normal play.