Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    92

    Default Inventory Management

    Folks - After 10+ years of playing and now I'm at 36 toons per server (I play ALL of them - yeah I know!!) I'm circling back around to my bi-yearly anxiety about inventory tracking. I'm sure a bunch of you are thinking, just throw everything away, well.. that's not going to happen and I'm clearing out a LOT however with 36 toons I lose track of who has what BTA gear so as enjoyable as it may seem to have 11 of the same kind of rune arm to some it isn't working well for me when I forget and roll on another copy of the same gear I have multiple times in my shared bank or on one of my other toons personal bank.

    SO - my question is: Does anyone have a tried and true way to keep track of their gear? I was thinking of making a spreadsheet and maybe linking it to the WIKI but I'm not sure how to do that. I've even tried copy and pasting the WIKI lists but they change with every update (DAMN YOU SSG).

    Yeah - I searched the Forums and there isn't much out there other than "This games sucks, we should have houses, inventory management sucks, etc" I don't want complaints, I want to know if anything is working for anyone.

    Thank you for your support,
    Dew

  2. #2
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dewboy691 View Post
    Folks - After 10+ years of playing and now I'm at 36 toons per server (I play ALL of them - yeah I know!!) I'm circling back around to my bi-yearly anxiety about inventory tracking. I'm sure a bunch of you are thinking, just throw everything away, well.. that's not going to happen and I'm clearing out a LOT however with 36 toons I lose track of who has what BTA gear so as enjoyable as it may seem to have 11 of the same kind of rune arm to some it isn't working well for me when I forget and roll on another copy of the same gear I have multiple times in my shared bank or on one of my other toons personal bank.

    SO - my question is: Does anyone have a tried and true way to keep track of their gear? I was thinking of making a spreadsheet and maybe linking it to the WIKI but I'm not sure how to do that. I've even tried copy and pasting the WIKI lists but they change with every update (DAMN YOU SSG).

    Yeah - I searched the Forums and there isn't much out there other than "This games sucks, we should have houses, inventory management sucks, etc" I don't want complaints, I want to know if anything is working for anyone.

    Thank you for your support,
    Dew
    mules by level. generally 4 level range.

    I have <8, 9-12, 13-16, 17-21, 22-26, 27+, one for tomes, another for consumables, and a mule for old rangen stuff that doesn't drop anymore.

    edit: oh and one more mule for daily exp gems to start that next life at 2 or 3.
    Last edited by Cantor; 10-23-2017 at 10:28 AM.

  3. #3
    Community Member Proton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    KaliKata Ka
    Posts
    672

    Default

    Sorting gear... a game of its own making I am not good at the inventory sorting game either, somehow I manage though. Everyone has everything where it should be except the collectibles need to be dumped onto the main still!
    (DDO PVP PVE 24/7 options options come check us out better then ever!!!) = (+) Sales
    (DDO PVE only, 10k isn't required, no need to TR 150 times, don't worry) = (-) Scary
    Live large, you are awesome, you are here, you are happening! Sincerely, Proton

  4. #4
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Proton View Post
    collectibles need to be dumped onto the main
    shared crafting storage is great

  5. #5

    Default

    Inventory management is it's own mini game.

  6. #6
    Community Member Fedora1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,847

    Default

    Inventory management is just one more reason I gave up 18 toons on my main server and all toons on other servers. I now play ONE. I have a couple I use as mules, max shared bank (200), 500 shared crafting slots, and an airship in which I am the only active guild member that has Level III storage vault (4 chests with 60 slots each not including the cargo hold).

    Mules are a pain though because of logging in and out unless they are on secondary accounts.

  7. #7
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dewboy691 View Post
    Folks - After 10+ years of playing ...
    If you want to create some sort of external index of what you have, I can suggest one method that is slightly less onerous than straight up data entry.

    1) link a number of items in chat
    2) copy text from chat and paste into the characters bio
    3) copy text from bio and paste into a txt doc
    4) import txt doc into a spreadsheet

    For some reason I could never get something copied from chat to paste directly into an external document. If you can solve that, then that will make things much easier. Otherwise, you'll want to do some formatting between steps 3 and 4 to make the importing easier.

    good luck and happy sorting

  8. #8
    Community Member Grandern_Marn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan (aka the Hatchery)
    Posts
    1,486

    Default

    I am always wondering this same thing. Wasn't there an external program that would catalog a characters gear similar to the character planner? I seem to remember seeing something like that a while back.
    Start cross server trading and profit!
    Characters: Grandern Marn / Yazmirr Grezztl / Vexir Bristleblade / Zappinaizah Subatrumpf Server: Orien Guild: Faca na Caveira
    New to the Orien server? Type "/joinchannel Titan" into the chat window and join some lively DDO discussion! Happy to help out with any questions.

  9. #9
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    982

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grandern_Marn View Post
    I am always wondering this same thing. Wasn't there an external program that would catalog a characters gear similar to the character planner? I seem to remember seeing something like that a while back.
    They exist. An API would be better though.

  10. #10
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapco View Post
    They exist. An API would be better though.
    I thought the API was the (manner of accessing) external link?

  11. #11
    Community Member Grandern_Marn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan (aka the Hatchery)
    Posts
    1,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapco View Post
    They exist. An API would be better though.
    An API as in a program that would allow you to add your account details and it would spit out an organized list of all the items that the characters owned? If that's the way it worked it would be a dream.

    Did a little searching, here is that program I was thinking of, it was called 'Packrat':
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...272234-Packrat

    Looks like it was in operation from about 2010 to 2012 but would only catalogue things from individual images you took of the items. It seems it wasn't really being updated so by 2012 it was only working at 50%-60% accuracy. The link for the program is dead now.

    I did find some spreadsheets but they are all manual:
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...er-Spreadsheet
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...-now-available
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...end-Chest-loot

    Here are some other related requests for an inventory listing program:
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...isting-program
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...able-inventory
    Start cross server trading and profit!
    Characters: Grandern Marn / Yazmirr Grezztl / Vexir Bristleblade / Zappinaizah Subatrumpf Server: Orien Guild: Faca na Caveira
    New to the Orien server? Type "/joinchannel Titan" into the chat window and join some lively DDO discussion! Happy to help out with any questions.

  12. #12
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    31

    Default

    I am attempting to create a program to scan and save my character inventory as well as I was also unable to find a decent program to do this for me.

    The only major issue is that the only way to get the info out of DDO and into a database, without violating the ToS, is via screenshots. Right now I can reliably parse the tooltip out of a screenshot and then OCR the tooltip to generate the actual text... but this sure is cumbersome and somewhat prone to issues.

    Sadly, I do not believe we will ever see a web gateway to DDO, nor will we probably ever see a scriptable user interface... but screenshots can work, it just takes time and effort and isn't just a nice "1-click to scan your entire inventory" system!

    Also, just a note, the ToS on the website for DDO still lists Turbine as the copyright owner and still calls DDO Points by the old name, Turbine Points... might want to get that updated SSG

  13. #13
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grandern_Marn View Post
    An API as in a program that would allow you to add your account details and it would spit out an organized list of all the items that the characters owned? If that's the way it worked it would be a dream.
    Thank you for the links. I'll have to take a closer look when I have a little more time.

  14. #14
    Community Member Bogenbroom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    1,834

    Default

    Ooooooooh Devs.... please take note. Big ol' need here. Could you *please* make some nice mech to go to the character launch screen and click a button to generate and download an XML file of equipment? I don't care if it take 10 minutes to run.

    Pretty please?
    Bogenbroom's legion... 102 characters, 3 accounts, and 1 irate wife.

  15. #15
    Community Member dragons1ayer74's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    898

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grandern_Marn View Post
    An API as in a program that would allow you to add your account details and it would spit out an organized list of all the items that the characters owned? If that's the way it worked it would be a dream.

    Did a little searching, here is that program I was thinking of, it was called 'Packrat':
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...272234-Packrat

    Looks like it was in operation from about 2010 to 2012 but would only catalogue things from individual images you took of the items. It seems it wasn't really being updated so by 2012 it was only working at 50%-60% accuracy. The link for the program is dead now.

    I did find some spreadsheets but they are all manual:
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...er-Spreadsheet
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...-now-available
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...end-Chest-loot

    Here are some other related requests for an inventory listing program:
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...isting-program
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...able-inventory
    I am the creator of Pakrat and your post is very accurate as in early 2012 I took an extended break from the game and didn't return until last year. I had my own OCR tuned in at about 95% when I was last using the program. Many users had issues because of different settings and not understanding how to use the program. I did abandon it even for my own personal use as I had a break from the game and it was a large project and I was receiving very little support; also using it even with good supporting tools was cumbersome at best spending and hours taking screenshots was not fun.

    I very much dislike the inventory management and tools available in this game. If they every put in an external inventory API I would certainly remake the tool for my own use and possible others. Even a something type of advanced logging that could be easily saved would be a vast improvement in making something like this.

  16. #16
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dragons1ayer74 View Post
    I am the creator of Pakrat and your post is very accurate as in early 2012 I took an extended break from the game and didn't return until last year. I had my own OCR tuned in at about 95% when I was last using the program. Many users had issues because of different settings and not understanding how to use the program. I did abandon it even for my own personal use as I had a break from the game and it was a large project and I was receiving very little support; also using it even with good supporting tools was cumbersome at best spending and hours taking screenshots was not fun.

    I very much dislike the inventory management and tools available in this game. If they every put in an external inventory API I would certainly remake the tool for my own use and possible others. Even a something type of advanced logging that could be easily saved would be a vast improvement in making something like this.
    Which OCR engine were you using, by the way?

    I've had decent luck with Tesseract, but it's not bulletproof!

  17. #17
    Community Member dragons1ayer74's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    898

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fusroda View Post
    Which OCR engine were you using, by the way?

    I've had decent luck with Tesseract, but it's not bulletproof!
    I tired a few but ultimately settled on Tesseract.

  18. #18
    Community Member Proton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    KaliKata Ka
    Posts
    672

    Default

    Hot topic here.

    I think it would be a huge improvement to see the crafting part of bank inventory break down further into crafting sub groups. It is a major head ache looking at all the different craft systems, seeing all that stuff piled together, and sifting through 10 pages of stuff unrelated to each other.

    Cannith Crafting
    Foundry Crafting
    Greensteel Crafting
    TOEE Crafting
    Thunderforged Crafting
    Dragon Touched Crafting
    Epic Crafting (those scrolls and stuff)
    Slave Lords Crafting
    Alchemical Crafting
    Stone of Change
    Trap Making
    Item Upgrades
    Event Items
    Incredible Potential
    Giant Hold Crafting

    Yeah they made it THAT complicated And all these ingredients all mixed up. My head spins looking at it all. There are 15 different crafting systems I listed there, and I am sure there are more still I forgot to mention.

    I would really enjoy to see some sort of control bottom that allows me to pull up a list on only the items related to the crafting system I intend to use. I don't care if the main list is a mixed mess, but with this feature I can much faster sort and get to the crafting goodies I need.

    If they are already tagged with something to identify (most likely just the name of the item..) then this would be far faster and easier to do. If not, they would need to figure out how this pull out list will work, either by tagging the items or by telling each list to take items of such and such name only. It would be maybe a week of work is my guess, super worth it to everyone, would make crafting far more fun and simplified.
    Last edited by Proton; 10-23-2017 at 01:04 PM.
    (DDO PVP PVE 24/7 options options come check us out better then ever!!!) = (+) Sales
    (DDO PVE only, 10k isn't required, no need to TR 150 times, don't worry) = (-) Scary
    Live large, you are awesome, you are here, you are happening! Sincerely, Proton

  19. #19
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    31

    Default

    It would be so very nice if SSG could port the Lua engine from LotRO over to DDO... then they could let the community create myraid user interface addons and stuff like inventory management would be taken care of... as would your request of crafting management as well, Proton!

    I've often wondered why we've not had Lua brought over to DDO given the two games share a common engine. Though, I suppose these days the engine used by each game has diverged quite a bit from the common base.

  20. #20
    Community Member Proton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    KaliKata Ka
    Posts
    672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fusroda View Post
    It would be so very nice if SSG could port the Lua engine from LotRO over to DDO... then they could let the community create myraid user interface addons and stuff like inventory management would be taken care of... as would your request of crafting management as well, Proton!

    I've often wondered why we've not had Lua brought over to DDO given the two games share a common engine. Though, I suppose these days the engine used by each game has diverged quite a bit from the common base.
    I am not familar with Lua engine, but if it can be ported and the result is as you say, maybe they could test it on a proxy server to see safely what the prospects are for such an add. LOTRO and DDO are very much alike in some ways, the interface is the same in some places for example. I'm out of +++, so tomorrow I owe you and someone else a +. Good to hear ideas like this.
    (DDO PVP PVE 24/7 options options come check us out better then ever!!!) = (+) Sales
    (DDO PVE only, 10k isn't required, no need to TR 150 times, don't worry) = (-) Scary
    Live large, you are awesome, you are here, you are happening! Sincerely, Proton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload