Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default The Best DDO Story EVER!!!

It was 2012. I had been playing just over a year. I was on my 3rd toon Chippacabre. It was his second life. I was really getting into rogues and all that the class could do. To this day he remains my favorite toon, and rogue, my favorite class. I was level 15, and I saw an LFM up for elite Gianthold sides. Perfect. It was Jolinxiii, who I'd run with previously a couple times, and 2 others I'd never met including Mini on a healer. We had an absolute blast. Mini and I talking over DDO's provided voicechat and Jolinxiii somehow able to maintain kill count lead while still typing faster than we could talk. After a couple hours the party broke with people heading to bed. I told Mini she was fun to play with and she said let's keep going so we did.

The next day we looked for each other after I got home from work and we kept going. Day after day, chatting, telling stories, killing, leveling, TRing. Past life after past life, having fun, enjoying the game and each other. After a few months we exchanged Facebook. A few months after that phone numbers so we could text and log in at the same time. After a year, the idea of potentially meeting and getting together began to manifest as we were spending every minute of free time playing DDO together.

By no means were either of us looking to meet a significant other by playing a video game. That's crazy right? I mean, I'm sure it's happened before, but... she lives in N.Y. I live in Arizona. Well, after knowing each other for 15 months we came up with the plan to meet together in Wilmington, Delaware where I had some friends I could stay with the night before. Mini packed up all the stuff she could into a 5th wheel and drove it down. We met at a restaurant. If all went well the plan was to then drive to her friends house in Virginia and stay the night. If everything kept going well, we were going to drive to my cousins house in North Carolina. From there we continued onto New Orleans, San Antonio, El Paso, and eventually Arizona. I had lined up an apartment for us to move into together should everything go well. Her backup plan was to stay or go back to Virginia with her friend as Mini was looking to get out of her living situation in New York anyway.

After almost 2 years living together we bought a house together. Then a dog. I asked Mini to marry me on March 19th, 2016 in Las Vegas. We went to our favorite Italian restaurant, saw a Cirque de Soleil show, won all the money back that we lost. It was magical. Then recently on August 19th, 2017, we were married.

I'm definitely NOT sharing our story as a recommendation on how to meet someone. I'm writing this as a thank you letter to DDO. I want the developers to know that what they do can sometimes reach much farther then just a job, and the entertainment of some gamers.

With tears of joy, I want to say THANK YOU DDO and to the entire development team, past and present. To some DDO may just be a trial video game, or a casual way to pass the time. Some take it more serious and devout tons of hours, as it truly is a one of a kind, great game. For me, DDO is not only my favorite hobby through which I have met a handful of people that I now consider real life friends. But it is also the portal through which I found my wife, my soul mate, the person whom I look forward to spending the rest of my life with.

Below is a picture of our in game toons, and then a picture of the cake toppers we made for our wedding cake...which Mini designed and painted!!! Thanks again DDO, keep up the good work!

Last edited by chipotle47; 09-15-2017 at 01:17 AM.
    "The definition of success is rebuffing between deaths with great enthusiasm."

Chippacabre, Chippotle, Chippmunk Funk, Chippinater, Chippin Dale, Chippling - Leader of Upper Caves of Anthia on Ghallanda

*applause*

Grats to both of you!

Last edited by vryxnr; 09-15-2017 at 12:57 AM.

Smile In my words YAY!

All love stories are beautiful but ours is my favorite!

One day I was in a quest with a friend. She had the LFM up and this little dwarf rogue named Chippacabre hit the LFM, I was on a cleric. He was taking advantage of the ingame chat feature, as was I. We were joking around and laughing and having a great time doing Gianthold @ lvl 15.
    Gianthold was finished and I got a private tell from Chippacabre that said “I like you, you’re funny.” So of course I respond; “/r Well then come with me.” My intent was pure of heart just having this funny fella to join on our next quest chain because I too was having a good time and thought he was funny.

2 private tells started the fire.

Now being a girl playing a MMORPG can be tough at times. For some reason you either get “hit on” right away or thought to be a bad player because you are a “Girl”. At this point I was generally “Hit on” every day as soon as guys realized I was a girl. As for player – I am ultra confident women and I think I am AWESOME!
    But this meeting was different. Chip, did not hit on me at first or seem to want my company just because I was a girl. He seemed to enjoy to be in group with me and kinda laughed at all my jokes (even when I didn’t know I was being funny ) After hrs of questing we put each other on our friends list.
    The next day when I logged in I saw that he was on. As I was about to send him a tell I got a tell from him asking if I wanted to quest. OF course I did… I mean isn’t that the point of the game.

Our play styles were completely different, he loved gear and builds and I liked killing or healing and chatting… It was weird but worked very well together. After that, every time I logged in I was looking for him and I am pretty sure every time he logged in he was looking for me. Things were different with him… He was sweet but funny and never treated me like he had to coddle me through quests. He always complimented me on my play style and really validated that I was a real “gamer” instead of just a girl who played games .. I liked that. So here is this amazing guy – Who is silly like me, funny like me and loves video games LIKE ME... What is there not to like?!?!

Eventually we became FB friends then texting buddies that lead to phonecalls when we were not ingmae or at work... I just couldn't get enough of him! We did spend every non working minute ingame together. We were together so much it became the “Mini & Chip Show”. Our DDO friends accepted us as 1 – and in every party 2 spots were left open just for us... It was truly AWESOME. The 1 little snag... He lived in AZ and I lived in NY – Sad panda!
    After a yr we tossed around the idea of meeting, getting together, moving. Started as a joke but it became real! Easter weekend in 2013 there was a turn of events in my life that prompted me to make the hardest and bravest decision ever... I finally decided it was time that Chip and I met... Go big or go home (they say) – So we talked it over and made the leap. Our decision was I would move to AZ with Chip and we'd take a stab at this whole relationship thing. (We had talked about it in the past – I think I enticed him with all the cooking I do... he totally wanted a taste )

August 2013, my affairs were in order, my trailer was packed and our trip was planned.
    “The Plan” Chip was going to fly to Delaware and stay with some friends over night, I would drive down there and meet him at a restaurant, he would throw his stuff in my truck and we would drive cross country together and move in to an apartment (625 sq ft) together. We were making a go of this!

“The Moment” To be honest I can barely remember the moment I met him in person. I walked up to him at the restaurant and I was so nervous. I couldn’t talk and didn’t want to even look him in the eye. After a lunch we drove to VA Beach to stay at my friends for the night. I did figure if it didn't work out he can fly home and I would stay there with her. I was looking for a way out of my past living situation regardless. Once my nerves stopped (took a few states ) I realized that this is the same guy that I have already shared all my thoughts and future goals with... I became a bit more at ease and completely comfortable with him.

We pushed forward. Virginia, North Carolina, New Orleans (2 Great Nights), San Antonio, El Paso then off to our new apartment in Arizona... That was the LONGEST 1st date EVER! One of the best trips I had ever taken.
    So we got to AZ, moved into to this tiny apartment and started to build a life together. It was extremely hard for me at first. Here I was small town girl from upstate NY in this big city... I didn't have any friends or family close to me but I had Chip. Even though it took me a bit, I kinda knew that's all I needed.

Like Chip said, 2 yrs later got a house and not long after a puppy, Elway (Go Broncos!). Then on March 19, 2016 (exactly 3 yrs from the date I decided to move to AZ) while walking to our favorite restaurant in Vegas, Chip got down on 1 knee and purposed to me. Needless to say, I cried like a baby, I hugged him till I stopped shaking and even forgot to say yes.. Course I eventually remembered lol.

1yr and 5 months later on August 19, 2017 we were married in my home town back in NY. It was 2 days shy of the exact date we met in person 4 yrs earlier. It was the most exciting, magical and memorable moment in my life.

So I too would like to raise my glass to our favorite game for bringing us together. Thank you DDO – You are the staple of our past, a joy of our present and hopeful in our future !
    - Mini Cooper
    - YAY!
    Mini
    When 3 guilds combined... chaos and pandemonium sets in.. of Epic Proportions!!! <3 -UCA

Very cool story. Pleased to read it.

Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter

Default Woot woot!

TYVM for sharing and I'm very happy for you both!

That is also a very cool cake!

Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by chipotle47 View Post
    It was 2012. I had been playing just over a year. I was on my 3rd toon Chippacabre. It was his second life. I was really getting into rogues and all that the class could do. To this day he remains my favorite toon, and rogue, my favorite class. I was level 15, and I saw an LFM up for elite Gianthold sides. Perfect. It was Jolinxiii, who I'd run with previously a couple times, and 2 others I'd never met including Mini on a healer. We had an absolute blast. Mini and I talking over DDO's provided voicechat and Jolinxiii somehow able to maintain kill count lead while still typing faster than we could talk. After a couple hours the party broke with people heading to bed. I told Mini she was fun to play with and she said let's keep going so we did.

The next day we looked for each other after I got home from work and we kept going. Day after day, chatting, telling stories, killing, leveling, TRing. Past life after past life, having fun, enjoying the game and each other. After a few months we exchanged Facebook. A few months after that phone numbers so we could text and log in at the same time. After a year, the idea of potentially meeting and getting together began to manifest as we were spending every minute of free time playing DDO together.

By no means were either of us looking to meet a significant other by playing a video game. That's crazy right? I mean, I'm sure it's happened before, but... she lives in N.Y. I live in Arizona. Well, after knowing each other for 15 months we came up with the plan to meet together in Wilmington, Delaware where I had some friends I could stay with the night before. Mini packed up all the stuff she could into a 5th wheel and drove it down. We met at a restaurant. If all went well the plan was to then drive to her friends house in Virginia and stay the night. If everything kept going well, we were going to drive to my cousins house in North Carolina. From there we continued onto New Orleans, San Antonio, El Paso, and eventually Arizona. I had lined up an apartment for us to move into together should everything go well. Her backup plan was to stay or go back to Virginia with her friend as Mini was looking to get out of her living situation in New York anyway.

After almost 2 years living together we bought a house together. Then a dog. I asked Mini to marry me on March 19th, 2016 in Las Vegas. We went to our favorite Italian restaurant, saw a Cirque de Soleil show, won all the money back that we lost. It was magical. Then recently on August 19th, 2017, we were married.

I'm definitely NOT sharing our story as a recommendation on how to meet someone. I'm writing this as a thank you letter to DDO. I want the developers to know that what they do can sometimes reach much farther then just a job, and the entertainment of some gamers.

With tears of joy, I want to say THANK YOU DDO and to the entire development team, past and present. To some DDO may just be a trial video game, or a casual way to pass the time. Some take it more serious and devout tons of hours, as it truly is a one of a kind, great game. For me, DDO is not only my favorite hobby through which I have met a handful of people that I now consider real life friends. But it is also the portal through which I found my wife, my soul mate, the person whom I look forward to spending the rest of my life with.

Below is a picture of our in game toons, and then a picture of the cake toppers we made for our wedding cake...which Mini designed and painted!!! Thanks again DDO, keep up the good work!

only thing i have to say :

main toons: hauteur(silly caster) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly paladin)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

Community Member

Congratulations to you both and thank you for sharing!

thank you chipotle and slordax for
    sharing such wonderful stories!
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist), Naerfelka (farmer), Saelegion (parked level 4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Annex View Post
    Hope extinguished leaves fading memories of better times.

Community Member

Great story, thank you for sharing. Ever see the series The Guild? This should be episode of that. Best of luck to you both in the future. But I still want Dallas to beat the Broncos this weekend.

I am Awesomesauce!

Congrats and best wishes!
    Asheras - Velania - Renvar - Ventarya - Officer in Loreseekers and Officer of Lava Divers - Khyber

Community Member SpartanKiller13's Avatar

Congratulations! I'm glad that this game, which is a pastime to me, could bring people together
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Quote Originally Posted by zehnvhex View Post
    Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorc. You gives up some of the damage and self sustain for the ability to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    It's DDO. There are probably 6 different types of Evil damage.

Community Member

Thumbs up

Congratulations. It's nice to see a positive thread every once in awhile. I wish you two a happy marriage. :-)

2015 DDO Players Council

Very cool! Congrats to you both, and may you always have your adventuring buddy close by!

Community Member

Very cool. +1

Question; When you 2 are having an "issue" do you go to a PvP area to settle it?

Separated by miles
    Ddo their trials
    Dungeons were the bed
    They came to wed
    Now it's all smiles
    Vishantii (the bird man)
    Kil (heroic and epic completionist)

Sarlona, Heart of Wisdom

Community Member

Awesome story! Congratulations to you both!

Barbarbarian

Love you guys!
    Awesome
    You can run level cap quests for epic xp, but you can't run non-level cap quests for RXP when you're capped.
    r10 @ 30 stuff, sorc, monk,Ghallanda

Community Manager

That's great, thank you for sharing.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Yup pretty cool. And you were almost married on our anniversary, August 26th.

My wife and I play with you folks from time to time.

So you guys still live here in AZ ChippaCornOnTheCabre?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshal_Lannes View Post
    Now you aren't a cookie cuttter, you are a character with unique gear and layouts and not everyone has the same mass produced epic ethereal bracers from the ghostly beholder factory.

very cool story. where you at in arizona? i live in cottonwood
    member of Archangels: BODHISATTVA / BREAKBEATZ / DOSEONE / DROFFSKI / EARASAMUS / ISMIST / NEOSPORING / NYOSH / NYOSHIS / THEDANCING / TONES
    long live Xoriat

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast