Community Member

Default Do I need anything besides Thunder-forged?

Level 22 Barbarian, first life.
    Improved Two-handed fighting, Improved Critical: Slashing.

My best weapon is the Thunder-Forged Greatsword: BDR 38.50, damage 16-54, Crits 19-20/x2, Metalline with a Ruby of Good.

Is there any reason to carry another melee weapon? When I can do that much damage, do I really need a Paralyzing, Vorpal, Smiting, or Disruption?

When I get to Level 23, I can open my Raider's Rewards box. There are three two-handed slashing weapons: Breach (falchion), Cleaver (greataxe), and Sireth (quarterstaff, that does slashing/piercing). Will any of those weapons be as good as the Thunder-Forged?

Quote Originally Posted by shawnvw View Post
    Level 22 Barbarian, first life.
    Improved Two-handed fighting, Improved Critical: Slashing.

My best weapon is the Thunder-Forged Greatsword: BDR 38.50, damage 16-54, Crits 19-20/x2, Metalline with a Ruby of Good.

Is there any reason to carry another melee weapon? When I can do that much damage, do I really need a Paralyzing, Vorpal, Smiting, or Disruption?

When I get to Level 23, I can open my Raider's Rewards box. There are three two-handed slashing weapons: Breach (falchion), Cleaver (greataxe), and Sireth (quarterstaff, that does slashing/piercing). Will any of those weapons be as good as the Thunder-Forged?
    i think you will be suprised at cleaver - i think its better then the tf

that being said, somethings to look at -

upgrading your tf - i remember my bdr as being in the mid 50s for a tier 2 tf so thats something
    getting an epic riftmaker
    epic sos
    epic xuum

i havnt crunched numbers, but those are all solid dps weapons

maybe an lgs, but i havnt looked into that option at all
    main toons: Cerrsi(silly caster/xbow) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly melee)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

Community Member

Thanks. What are bdr and lqs?

Thanks. What are bdr and lqs?
    sry was typing in a hurry - bdr is base damage rating and lgs is legendary greensteel
    main toons: Cerrsi(silly caster/xbow) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly melee)

Community Member

When comparing weapons, BDR is a useless statistics and a trap, simply ignore it completely.

The reason to have other weapons

1. Specialized DR breaker
    2. Ooze, Rust Monsters and other metal eaters

Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    When comparing weapons, BDR is a useless statistics and a trap, simply ignore it completely.
    ya i agree! but op put that in as a requirement for better then his tf - so i put in my two cents

Well do you mean right now, or ever?

You could get more TF weapons for later levels. Craft one for L24, and another for 26 (which will then become BTC).

I would maybe grab a TF maul for bludgeon damage. Maybe a thrower?

But in general a L22 TF weapon will serve you well, as will the Cleaver. Honestly I think the Great Sword was probably not the best choice. Falshion has better crits and Great Axe lets you use Headsman Chop in Legendary Dreadnought. Still it will get the job done.

do I really need a Paralyzing, Vorpal, Smiting, or Disruption?
    Didn't see this the first time.

"No" to paralyzing, it won't work on anything in epics, maybe one in a hundred I don't know.

I'd say no to smiting as well, very situational and VON4 and the Cannith chain (L19, 21 on elite, no epic version) are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head where you would wield it for the whole quest vs swapping occasionally.

Disruption is a tougher call. Disruption or better on some of the named weapons are helpful as undead are common in some epic chains (including epic orchard, haunted halls, Thunderholm).

Same with Banishing weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post

"No" to paralyzing, it won't work on anything in epics, maybe one in a hundred I don't know.

I'd say no to smiting as well, very situational and VON4 and the Cannith chain (L19, 21 on elite, no epic version) are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head where you would wield it for the whole quest vs swapping occasionally.

Disruption is a tougher call. Disruption or better on some of the named weapons are helpful as undead are common in some epic chains (including epic orchard, haunted halls, Thunderholm).

I'm going to add some additional comments as it comes to these "Big 5's"

Paralyzing as you go up in levels does land less and less for two reasons 1) Mobs with FoM 2) Mobs saves. However, if you can hit fast or multiple targets multiple times in a small time frame you increase the odds - Dual Wielding and Bows especially repeaters with IPS can improve your odds.

Vorpal, Banish, Smite and Disruption the rule of 20 still applies today as it did when these weapons first appeared. The Rule of 20 is that if you cannot kill something in less then 20 hits these types of weapons will generally average better. The additional damage that occurs if the Vorpal is not in the "Instant death range" helps. Personally, I find these weapons work best if melee/range dps is secondary to your build, ie you are not focused on eeking out every ounce of DPS.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    The reason to have other weapons

1. Specialized DR breaker
    2. Ooze, Rust Monsters and other metal eaters
    1. The Thunder-forged is already Metalline Good. What else would I need?
    2. Good point.

1. The Thunder-forged is already Metalline Good. What else would I need?
    2. Good point.
    Metal + Good does cover a lot of mobs but it does not cover all.

You still lack other alignments Lawful (Thaarak Hounds), Chaotic (Inevitables) and Evil (Archons/Eladrin).
    You still lack 2 of the Three types Slash (Zombies), Bludgeon (Skeletons) and Piercing (Rakshasas)

http://ddowiki.com/page/Damage_reduction

Edit:
    Then you have more specialized DPS requirements like Shroud Portals where DR is not breakable and very focused Construct effects will give you better DPS via effects like Bane.

Or since Thunderforge has fire and/or negative energy effects that can work against your DPS at worst or simply not register any damage.
    Last edited by Enoach; 08-30-2017 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Adding the non-DR reasons

They are enough for majority of content. Maybe get some DR- breakers if you plan to run the specific quests where that matters, and maybe a specialized undead beater, but otherwise you should be fine. Common sense about having a ranged weapon for hitting targets you can't reach and boss beaters still applies of course, and there are things like Legendary Green Steel and upgrades and stuff you can use as alternatives.

That said Tunderforged is easy to get and good enough for most stuff. Unless you are planning to raid at the cap a lot, it should get you to the cap.

Is the easiest good weapon you may get but you can push harder. You can upgrade it up to t2 for a better [W] . You should get an SoS or a bit easier one AGA for using it as soon as you hit epics on other lives or after ETR. LGS and/or ERiftmaker for level cap raiding. Oh and i suggest getting an Axe for a better use if you ever go dwarf unless you are more atuned to a future bladeforged.

Community Member

I'll consider searching for some of those weapons mentioned.

Meanwhile, I've got a Raider's Reward box that I can open soon. Which of these is best as backup?

The two-handed slashing weapons are:
    - Breach (Falchion): Shrieking, Disintegration, Shatter, Doublestrike
    - Cleaver (Greataxe): Hemorrahging, Limb Chopper, Improved Cursespewing, Doublestrike

If I really need non-slashing weapons, it also includes:
    - Sireth (Piercing and Slashing): Supreme Good, Lightning Strike, Cloudburst, Freedom of Movement, Feather Falling
    - Mornh (Bludgeoning) - Fracturing, Mgma Surge, Stunning, Seeker 10. (It's only one-handed, but holy cow...Seeker +10!)
    Last edited by shawnvw; 09-01-2017 at 11:29 PM.

Community Member the_one_dwarfforged's Avatar

first off, i would recommend you trash the tf greatsword and make it a falchion because falchions are simply superior. the reasons to use a greatsword are super super niche to the point that theyre not worth discussing if you dont already know what they are and arent trying to optimize your dps for every conceivable situation from 1-30. if youre in the tf weapons market, then you should simply never be using a greatsword.

falchions are generally better dps than axes when you consider that most classes either have no crit profile mods (falchion beats gaxe) or a +1/1 (falchion beats gaxe). axes can be the better choice for barbarians with t5 ravager because the crit buff in that tree is +2 range which favors the gaxe over the falchion for effective hits; tf falchions specifically however can still be better in this particular case because of the solid on crit damage effects that they have. between breach and cleaver, breach will serve you better more of the time.

i dont recommend vorpal/etc if they cost you a different effect or base dmg, but if you have nothing else...then sure.

also, **IGNORE** the in game bdr in the weapon tool tip, its going to tell you dumb things like....greatswords are good..........
    Last edited by the_one_dwarfforged; 09-08-2017 at 10:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    By the way, sorry for the folks I dropped the death cube on. Except I'm not sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by DDOTalk71 View Post
    Due to the rising costs of OlladraCare, the Coin Lords laid off Mari and outsourced her job to foreigners.

#MakeStormreachGreatAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by changelingamuck View Post
    Class balance isn't a black-or-white...issue...

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post

The epic elemental bloom seems to do ok. Mostly because it debuffs the saving stat I think idk but its nice for stickys.

On another note id go for the falchon over a greatsword. Especially with barb you should be able to get a 12 or 13-20 crit profile pretty easy. Me I like my main TF falchon and a LGS. Those slimes really pull through as tanks sometimes in reaper. Those suckers hold the line. Shame you can't make an army anymore but 2 or 3 is nice.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Community Member

Okay, here's what I have so far:

• Thunder-forged Greatsword with Ruby Augment of Good
    • Vs. Undead: Mutineer's Blade (12-66 Bane damage, 3-18 Light Damage, Disruption)
    • Vs. DR/Bludgeoning: The Banhammer (Vorpal vs. Undead, Constructs, and Outsiders)
    • Vs. DR/Lawful, DR/Chaotic, or DR/Good: These are usually Outsiders, so The Banhammer
    • Vs. DR/Piercing: Mutineer's Blade
    • Vs. Oozes: Hoping to get Muck's Obliteration or Bone Crusher. Meanwhile, using The Banhammer; it's a named item, so damage it takes won't be permanent.
    • Vs. Rust Monsters: Thunder-forged Greataxe. It's a named item, so damage it takes won't be permanent.
    • Ranged: Spelltouched Shruiken. Note it has hidden powers, and character has Shuriken Expertise.

So what should I get from the Raider's Reward box?
    Last edited by shawnvw; 02-05-2019 at 12:48 AM.