Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

The matter was decided six to nine months ago.

I predict no single quest or raid will cover the entire castle. We will get some form of raid, set in the castle, playable by first life characters on Normal Difficulty, with more powerful characters expected to move into Reaper Difficulty. The rewards will have a strong bias towards Reaper I to encourage maximum participation. A tiny number of players will beat the raid on Reaper 10 then drop down to the most efficient difficulty to acquire equipment, Reaper Experience, and Super Weapon Experience.

The same people who argue now will argue then that the new 'end game' is:
    a) just another 'grind'
    b) not worth 'grinding' because the next 'grind' will invalidate all the effort
    c) too easy for 'top tier' characters
    d) too difficult accept for characters with many Past Lives
    e) a slight to solo players
    f) not drawing back enough players
    g) uninspired
    h) strongly favors specific builds
    i) invalidates too many builds
    j) bad because new Super Weapons only work at the level cap
    k) bad because new Super Weapons work at all levels
    l) the last nail in the coffin of DDO
    m) all store driven
    n) a buggy mess
    o) creates too much power creep
    p) does not include enough power to justify the effort
    ... and so on.

Please note I am not writing with sarcasm nor dismissing the validity of any point of view. I am asserting that, whatever Ravenloft looks like, given the very broad and conflicting desires of players, no cohesive community exists and therefore each person will continue to argue from his or her personal point of view.

I hope Castle Ravenloft embodies some compromise solution that maximizes goodwill. We need lots more of that.

The current plan is that among the greater body of content coming up in the expansion there are two dungeons where you can specifically enter Castle Ravenloft and experience* story within the castle itself, and a raid where you can enter the castle and experience* story as well.

Sev~

*Warning: may entail horrible fates. The author takes no responsibility for the safety of characters engaging in this activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoglum View Post
    Sure there should perhaps be raids in the expansion but don't ruin classic D&D stuff turning adventure modules into raids.

Look no further than how bad they trashed Lolth, one of the most popular D&D villains ever.

Not much of a draw for the game now, is it?
    Good point.

Strahd is (next to loth) one of the best encounters in D&D. In fact, if the DM is running Ravenloft true to script, you will lose 95% of the time.

+1 Hoglum

Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    The current plan is that among the greater body of content coming up in the expansion there are two dungeons where you can specifically enter Castle Ravenloft and experience* story within the castle itself, and a raid where you can enter the castle and experience* story as well.

Sev~

*Warning: may entail horrible fates. The author takes no responsibility for the safety of characters engaging in this activity.
    Is this the translation of the multiple scenarios for the D&D module's multiple outcomes?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rys View Post
    --snipped video--

Both pretty gimpy, without Slaver's gear. It was mostly about the build Vanhooger created. You don't really need the PLs. The game knowledge is probably more important than that.
    CR 72 sorjec, so i assume it's LE.
    Really cute but a 15/4/1/10 Clr/Pal/Ftr/Epic in US is not an average melee, it's a twinked selfheal tank build, 15 cleric for the heals, 4 paly for saves and stance and 1 fighter for a feat?
    it's sad that the first video on your channel that gets recommended to me (by youtube) is how to succeed in reaper 10.
    Right at the start it points out how the dps penalty sucks and you recommend using charm and instakills, this here is exactly why reaper mode suck so badly for pure melee's and why they are lagging behind when it comes to earning reaper exp.
    Melee's have to go toe to toe, thus die faster, can't self heal, can't wait for a heal, can't do their thing (applying dps), it sucks more to be a melee in reaper then to be a ranged dps or caster. imho.
    O wait, not just by my humble opinion but by yours as well, looking at the video.

Come back after tanking sorjec with a full FB barb (the weakest melee 2hf atm) or a pure platemail&2hf fighter. with gear&PL available back then

Sev~

may entail horrible faiths.... if it's dense packs of mobs with way too many hp again backed up by the lag monster, don't bother.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ferd View Post
    Based on your posts, "with all due respect" ....

Thelanis, the raid scene is still decent, with the different chat channels and social panel.

A little tip, use the forums to schedule raids for your server.

As for the expansion, you buying it, and your shared disdain for reaper, I'd ask for your stuff, but all the good stuff is bound so.................

I'm not going to switch servers, if the playerbase get's to low, ssg should merge servers, i'm not paying them for a job poorly done.
    chat channels killed the raiding scene here. no thank you. Those communities went through waves of people leaving, chat channels being remade around others, replaced by 3rd party voip, etc, they are pretty much dead now or so exclusive a pugger like me couldn't get in.

as for the forums to schedule raids, no can do, i have a irregular job in a lousy time zone, i can't make raid appointments i might not be able to join.

As for your e begging, do it somewhere else.
    Btw, slavelords and canith crafting ing are unbound not the best but at least useful at times

There are some serious issues in this game that makes customers leave or take extended breaks, that needs to be addressed.....

Quote Originally Posted by whoolsey View Post
    There are some serious issues in this game that makes customers leave or take extended breaks, that needs to be addressed.....
    # 1 is Power Creep. This game was at apex pre MotU & TR's.

Nuff said. Hope your server gets some cohesion like Thelanis has had for years.

PS, +1

Quote Originally Posted by Annex View Post
    The matter was decided six to nine months ago.

I predict no single quest or raid will cover the entire castle. We will get some form of raid, set in the castle, playable by first life characters on Normal Difficulty, with more powerful characters expected to move into Reaper Difficulty. The rewards will have a strong bias towards Reaper I to encourage maximum participation. A tiny number of players will beat the raid on Reaper 10 then drop down to the most efficient difficulty to acquire equipment, Reaper Experience, and Super Weapon Experience.

The same people who argue now will argue then that the new 'end game' is:
    a) just another 'grind'
    b) not worth 'grinding' because the next 'grind' will invalidate all the effort
    c) too easy for 'top tier' characters
    d) too difficult accept for characters with many Past Lives
    e) a slight to solo players
    f) not drawing back enough players
    g) uninspired
    h) strongly favors specific builds
    i) invalidates too many builds
    j) bad because new Super Weapons only work at the level cap
    k) bad because new Super Weapons work at all levels
    l) the last nail in the coffin of DDO
    m) all store driven
    n) a buggy mess
    o) creates too much power creep
    p) does not include enough power to justify the effort
    ... and so on.

Please note I am not writing with sarcasm nor dismissing the validity of any point of view. I am asserting that, whatever Ravenloft looks like, given the very broad and conflicting desires of players, no cohesive community exists and therefore each person will continue to argue from his or her personal point of view.

I hope Castle Ravenloft embodies some compromise solution that maximizes goodwill. We need lots more of that.
    no raid and the expansion will be a failure - ie stormhorns.
    Member of "Guild of the Black Dragons" & "Swords of the Light" on Sarlona. Proud "Last" member of Caffeine - we aint stragicially savy.
    Kilthar-Tharr-Delkanthalus-Carissa-Mirasina-Ktara-Imara-Thistle-Tharissa-Robothar-Minithar-Miriella-Tharnessa-Tharisa

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ferd View Post
    # 1 is Power Creep. This game was at apex pre MotU & TR's.

Nuff said. Hope your server gets some cohesion like Thelanis has had for years.

PS, +1
    thanks, i would really like the old playerbase back (just like when the cap was 20)
    i don't mind the heroic PL's, the rest however is too much, the reaper trees should be deleted asap

edit:
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ferd again.

i guess i already hit you with the +1 wand

Quote Originally Posted by Thar View Post
    Man, I love the Stormhorns. It has some genuinely great XP quests for when I'm ETRing (What Goes Up, Through a Mirror), and a couple of really fun adventure areas.

It shouldn't have been a whole damn EXPANSION, and it was way overpriced (which is why I got it cheaper after the fact) but that was a problem of marketing and pricing, not of content (or, more specifically, of content not matching pricing)

Sev~

Thanks for chiming in Sev, this gives me hope. I do like raiding. I Use to love it actually, I was all about raid nights.

- Doom
    Kahzadoom~Nexus~Irondoom~Doomlord~XvKing DoomHammer~
    Xoriat Born~Doompriest~Doom~Xzr~Legion of Doom~Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hollowgolem View Post
    Man, I love the Stormhorns. It has some genuinely great XP quests for when I'm ETRing (What Goes Up, Through a Mirror), and a couple of really fun adventure areas.

It shouldn't have been a whole damn EXPANSION, and it was way overpriced (which is why I got it cheaper after the fact) but that was a problem of marketing and pricing, not of content (or, more specifically, of content not matching pricing)
    The second expansion was indeed a failure, that price for what in essence is 2 adventure packs.
    My gripe was that they continued the trend they started with motu, continued in the evenigstar packs and epic gianthold, it became increasingly harder on melee's and the endgame scene moved to ranged, casting and exploit builds to cope with the insane damage output on mobs, it got so bad the game needed an armor up update to fix things, not that endgame was easy for melee's (besides a small% at cap). However the game kept hitting harder, to the point where LE stopped being fun and reaper killed the melee play style for many.
    Now if the blue dragon raid is any indication, the new ravenloft raid will be a failure to, because ddo excludes a large portion of their playerbase from the new content. The 1%-ers will love it, form groups in their private channels, farm it to death within 2 months and abandon it.
    Trying to get a group for the latest blue dragonraid was harder then getting a heroic reaper3 titan done (at level) and we still had to shortman the entire(pre) raid with 5 people, 4 warlocks and my melee.....

I wonder why the dev's bother making content that will barely see the light of day, it will get some exposure in the beginning sure, but only by a small group that can on their twink builds.
    Why don't they make content that people can enjoy on more then a few builds?

How were Stormhorns a failure? It was very difficult content at the release and players run it a lot. There was a loot to farm and sell. The content was various and interesting, the xp good and the wilderness area beautiful.

I hope there's difficult raid with great rewards.
    Raiding or really tough group content should be pinnacle of mmorpg and something characters and players should strive for.

If I wanted to play fantasy single player, there's plenty to choose from :
    Baldur's Gate series, Divinity Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity, Dragon Age Origins, Witcher series, Tyranny, Vampire the Masquerade would be my favourites.

Shahang (fvs caster), Bellezza (assassin), Wipekin (monkcher), Farida (air savant), Nezhat (melee) Ghallanda/Devourer

Community Member

For future content both factions could be served by the same content. Have a large instance with multiple paths and mini-bosses. Have two possible end-bosses spawn depending on how short the interval was between the mini-bosses dying. Make the mini-boss factor only doable by a split raid group simultaneously converging on a few mini-bosses or on two mini-bosses several times during the raid.

If the mini-boss flags are managed then the raid boss spawns in at the end. If not then a much weaker version of the boss spawns in, designed to challenge small groups and solo players. Let scaling and difficulty levels do their magic under the two different scenarios above.

Raid loot only available to people who get the mini-boss flags managed.

Sev~

This may be already way to late for this but reading your post made me hype a lot and I felt the urge to share some ideas I think would be cool...

#1 - On that 1st instance we go to the castle, could we have a loosing battle?
    Something along the lines of: we complete the mission and after that Strahd comes, and plot kills us all if we don't get out of the castle soon enough? Telling us something like "You'll need more than just [insert number of party members] to overcome my power!"

#2 - When we raid to the castle, can we have some NPC's coming with us with pitch-forks and torches to help?
    I would really! love the feel of leading an angry mob the raid the castle.

The hype is real, can't wait for Ravenloft!
    (Yeah I sound like a child, not ashamed of it)
    Gathering portuguese players, check our Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/3511...?ref=bookmarks

If you're portuguese and play in Orien check our guild: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ogadores-Pt-Pt

Community Member

How were Stormhorns a failure? It was very difficult content at the release and players run it a lot. There was a loot to farm and sell. The content was various and interesting, the xp good and the wilderness area beautiful.
    They might have played it a lot in your neck of the woods, only a select group did it in mine.
    It was difficult, so difficult people stopped playing their favorite builds and were forced into builds they didn't like in order to come along.
    gear wise? mostly meh in storm horns, what i did hear from people is that they were disappointed with buying gear of the shard AH and seeing how it turned useless soon after XD
    The whole normal/hard/elite gear was such a waste of player and dev time.
    How was it various, most of the quest were mostly plain leveled, didn't require much brainpower, just high density pockets of high hp, high dps mobs, boring as F.
    Excluding part of the player base or force them into ranged or casting builds didn't help either.
    From the time of the ranger attack speed nerf(many years ago) where i saw a few people get ****ed and leave.
    When you worked a decade on a few toons and you see your hard work invalidated or your favorite play style you made work in the hardest content destroyed in favor of a group of 1%ers it ****es people off, makes them want to leave.
    Having content available for everyone might boost sales and have it's content actually regularly played by a large chunk of it's population.

now we actually touched upon this subject, wich dev(s) did all the design on the latest raid? i don't mean the balancing, giving the hp and dps numbers to the mobs, i mean who were the dev's that actually build the set?
    Don't you dev's feel that your time was wasted? since it's barely run? don't you have any pride in your work? don't you think people should run your content more often? do balance issues, difficulty scaling, population issues and the amount of times your latest content is still being run come up in meetings?
    What is your opinion on these issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Wipey View Post
    I hope there's difficult raid with great rewards.
    Raiding or really tough group content should be pinnacle of mmorpg and something characters and players should strive for.

Baldur's Gate series, Divinity Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity, Dragon Age Origins, Witcher series, Tyranny, Vampire the Masquerade would be my favourites.
    Gee, i would love to play an mmo too, instead of me having to solo half the time, i can't get a full group together for a regular quest, how easy will this be for a raid?
    i would like more raids but i would love them to be more accessible.
    Looking how things have been developing lately, i think it would be a waste of dev time and effort and a waste of our money (except for the 1%ers) to produce a raid 90+% won't even play more then once, just like the last raid we just had.

During ddo's golden age of raiding (when cap was 20) we had a whole bunch of raids that were just hard enough yet still open enough for everyone, the only raids i didn't see up in the lfm hourly was titan and tempest spine.
    That's what i would like to see, the days you didn't have to waste 2 hours to get a decent group together, that you didn't feel like your efforts weren't wasted, that your efforts mattered (aka, not be the wiping boy for casters and ranged dps),
    another good reason not to make a raid is healers. sure when the healer pass is done some will check it out, most will however go back to their tr grinding builds once the fap is gone?
    I met 3 good players that happened to be healers during my racial tr, 2 already tr-ed out of those healer builds.
    3 good healers in 4,5 months, how many decent healers will be around for pugs? ones with enough past lives and reaper point to make it through?
    with reaper 1-4 being the norm these days, how will people pug this raid?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jasparion View Post
    Yes, what the game needs more than ever is a return to the days when everything could be solo'd. That's what you want from an MMO !
    Yes! Yes, it is.

My ideal would be content that scaled to the number of players, so people who liked to group could group, and people who liked to solo could solo (and solo people/small groups who wanted to challenge themselves could crank up the 'effective number of players').

The worst MMOs for me were where pivotal storyline points were locked behind minimum-number-of-people barriers.

2014 DDO Players Council

If it were just a standard adventure pack, Storm Horns would be above average. (It is a beautiful wilderness area!)

As a you-must-pay-cash-even-if-you're-VIP "expansion", it sucked. It was really just 2 adventure packs, Wheloon and Storm Horns, nothing more.

#shadowfail
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    As a general rule we don't intend for a single spawn area to cause any dungeon alert, and certainly not red dungeon alert. This basically isn't ever a goal in our designs

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Wipey View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    As a general rule we don't intend for a single spawn area to cause any dungeon alert, and certainly not red dungeon alert. This basically isn't ever a goal in our designs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast