Community Member

Default cannot patch file dndclient.exe error 5 access is denied

Since the last patch the launcher looks in the update server and then brings up the above error message box, when click OK it then goes back to server and repeats.

I use Win 10 and have i7-4820k CPU @3.7 GHz with 16GB RAM using a 64 bit OS x64 based processor.

Has anyone else had same problem and is there a work around.

Any help appreciated

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ardvaark77 View Post
    Since the last patch the launcher looks in the update server and then brings up the above error message box, when click OK it then goes back to server and repeats.

I use Win 10 and have i7-4820k CPU @3.7 GHz with 16GB RAM using a 64 bit OS x64 based processor.

Any help appreciated
    Sounds too similar to the problem reported in next previous two threads. I'd recommend looking there.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andu_Indorin View Post
    Sounds too similar to the problem reported in next previous two threads. I'd recommend looking there.
    Thanks, I tried replacing the launcher with that from the backup folder, however, it downloaded the last patch and experienced the same problems as with my header.

If I replaced the dndclient.exe with that from the backup how might that affect things. Not sure if its a good idea?

Right click on the launcher icon and select "Run as Admin" and see if that helps, Windows 10 can be twitchy about this sort of thing if the game is installed in to the Program Files directories. If that doesn't work check the link in my signature called DDO-Wrapper.

Stoner81.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner81 View Post
    Right click on the launcher icon and select "Run as Admin" and see if that helps, Windows 10 can be twitchy about this sort of thing if the game is installed in to the Program Files directories. If that doesn't work check the link in my signature called DDO-Wrapper.

Stoner81.
    Tried first part with no change will try other suggestion when I next get free time. Thanks

Update: Re-installed DDO to root directory and praise the ALLSPARK I am now back into the game. Of course I do not know if I had done a normal re-installation that it would not have worked, just that my actual attempt WAS successful.

Any others with the same or similar problem I wish good luck.
    Last edited by Ardvaark77; 07-16-2017 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Problem now overcome

The problem remains unfixed -- just had it today. There's another potential workaround, though:

Code:
    move ddo/tmp/dndclient.exe to ddo/dndclient.exe
    In this context the "ddo" represents the directory to which you installed DDO; eg. c:/games/ddo or wherever you put it.

It looks like ddo/tmp is where patched files end up prior to install into ddo/. Checking there for your problem file and moving it into place might fix similar issues with other files.

The odd thing was that the game should be running with my permissions and yet it couldn't move the file while I could -- no admin required. I'm wondering if it perhaps launches the old client client in some kind of version-check mode and then fails to fully kill it before attempting the move or initiates the kill without waiting for it to die, creating a race condition -- if it happens to die fast enough, no bug. If not, failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardvaark77 View Post

Any help appreciated
    ok so for me i fixed it by using the ddo installer and doing repair installation and it fixed the issue for me this may not work for everyone but i think its worth noting and trying but this issue is def caused by not using default installation so its easier for further notice to just use default installation so you dont have to worry about this again.