Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Compendium Lite

I like a lot of the sorting options, but I wish I could sort it like the in game compendium.

I tend to update things like favor in batches and so far I ahve not found an easy way to match the sort in your compendium with in game one.

Would it be possible to sort by two or more columns in order? Like Microsoft Excel can do? first by level and then by alpha?

Or does someone have some tips on how to match it i up in a way that I might not have tried?
    Last edited by Bolo_Grubb; 06-16-2017 at 10:51 AM.
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    BoloGrubb / DJGrubb / Gijo

Quote Originally Posted by peng View Post
    When sorting by level, some quests... are not.
    Quote Originally Posted by LrdSlvrhnd View Post
    I'm sure specifics might help him out here *g*
    I know which ones he's referring to, as I actually coded support for that feature.

Sorting by level is designed for use as you play the game, sacrificing convenience when initially transcribing your characters. The quests that aren't sorted by level can be found by searching Data\Compendium\Quests.txt for "GroupLevel: ", which tells the program what level to actually sort the quest as. The list of quests that have this flag, by memory:

Misery's Peak (2) is grouped with the 1s, because I like keeping Korthos quests together as a group.

Return to Delera's Tomb (6) is grouped with the 7s, because it's at the end of the Delera 7s. (It's that "quest" that immediately completes.) If you sort the compendium by level, this quest appears in the position you'd want while actually running the Delera's chain and tracking your progress.

Most of Threnal (9s and 10s) are grouped with the 9s. The actual chain order goes 8, 8, 10...9, 10, 10...9, 9, 10. I kept the two 8s as level 8 since there's no weirdness there. But the rest of them are all set to level 9 since the idea is to run the whole chain on reaper with a level 9 character. It would be weird to see quests 4,7,8 in one section (the 9s) and then quests 3,5,6,9 in the next section since it's really a single group of quests you'd normally run together. While technically I could have listed the final quest with the 10s like I listed the initial 8s with the 8s, that final 10 is that super short final quest you immediately run from the previous 9.

Also, if you can somehow manage to have it sort the same way it does in game, at least as an option, it would definitely help for inputting your completions.
    Agreed. I'm still brainstorming ideas regarding that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo_Grubb View Post
    Would it be possible to sort by two or more columns in order? Like Microsoft Excel can do? first by level and then by alpha?
    That's easy to do in theory, but is tricky for the customized sorting I implemented. If the columns just sorted the rows generically, then yeah, I could switch from quicksort to insertion sort to retain the previous sort's order for tiebreakers in the new sort.

I think I figured out how to match the in-game compendium order. In the options screen I'll add a third option to "When sorting quests by level:"

- Sort quests by Heroic Level
    - Sort quests by Epic Level
    - Match In-Game Order

No matter what the previous sort was in-game, when you sort quests by level ascending (meaning you have to click the Level header twice) you always get the same order, which appears to be by level ascending then by name descending, ignoring any leading "The " in the name.

I can match that easily, and by doing it ascending instead of descending I can add page break lines in my list that match the screens in-game, much like I do in the challenges screen. (If I did it descending, there's no way to know where the in-game list would start since it starts 3 levels above the character level who opened the list.)

EDIT: I think I can implement this fairly quickly, such that I might post new files for download as early as tomorrow morning.

Default New Version

New version (1.0.1) is up.

Compendium 1.0.1 Release Notes
    • You can now sort the quest list to "Match In-Game Order"
    • Devil Assault and Chronoscope levels corrected (was 18/22, now 6/21) and moved up in the Packs order appropriately
    • Minor change to Gianthold walkups order
    • When renaming a data file, the main form header now updates accordingly

Matching in-game quest order seemed like a pretty high-value feature, so in addition to being able to set it in the Tools screen, you can now right-click the Lvl sort header to bring up a context menu:

You might notice my first-ever undocumented feature in that screenshot: the Play button in the upper right corner. Click that to play the game.

It's undocumented -- and currently not activated for anyone unless you manually add it in -- because I'm not yet sure how I want to handle the user interface. The idea is that it can be pointed to the official DDO launcher, but also (in my case) the DDO-ML exe. If you want to activate this feature for yourself, edit Settings.txt and add a "Play" line to the compendium section. As an example, mine looks very similar to this:

Code:
    Section: Compendium

Play=D:\Users\Ellis\Documents\My Games\DDO\DDO-ML\DDO-ML.exe
    DataFile=Main
    SortOrder=0
    ...etc...
    For the regular game launcher, you'll probably need to set it to something like:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Turbine\Dungeons & Dragons Online\TurbineLauncher.exe

Close the compendium before manually editing Settings.txt. And also, pointing and laughing that the official game launcher is still named "Turbine." hehheh.

Ah, much better. I just set up a datafile for my challenge farmers and mules, and it was so much nicer having the quest list in the same order as the in-game compendium. It's particularly nice to resize the compendium screen to match the page size as the one in-game so you can just page down on both of them to continue.

On a side note I saw somebody asking about storing it so that it's available to multiple machines or something along those lines? What I do is I save all of your tools in to my Google Drive folder so I can run it from there, that way no matter what machine I am playing on it's all there since it just syncs up automatically.

Stoner81.

Default Thanks,

It looks better than the spreadsheet I had created. I will try it out this week and if I see anything to comment on I will get back to you.
    Any Port in a storm... But why one with so many vermin?

Community Member

Thanks a lot for this. Does anyone think having a field indicating the date a quest was completed would be helpful? Maybe I'm missing the point as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Huor_Twotrees View Post
    Does anyone think having a field indicating the date a quest was completed would be helpful?
    This never occurred to me. What would you use that information for?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    This never occurred to me. What would you use that information for?
    Somewhere I had read that seals, shards and/or scrolls will only drop in specific quests if a certain amount of time had elapsed between quest runs (maybe one week). Maybe I misunderstood. Maybe it's not worth adding a new field. I can't find the reference that led me to think that the drop rates were timed. This is a useful tool, that's for sure.

Thanks again.

If anyone would like to offer feedback on a beta version with new features, here's the download link: (Same installation instructions as the regular downloads.)

Compendium v1.1 (beta)

Once I started using v1.0 while actually playing the game I immediately ran into two issues that my old trusty spreadsheet solved but that compendium offered no help for: How close was I to xp cap for my level (turns out I was 10k shy), and what wilderness areas am I about to out-level so I can grab that last 10k from explorers? (Ataraxia's Haven, as it turns out.)

I've added Wilderness areas and XP tables to the right pane tabs, here displayed as part of the unified left tab for smaller screen shots. First up is Wilderness areas:

Click a wilderness area, map, "other" link or pack name to open the corresponding wiki page.

There's also a dedicated Wilderness Areas screen available from Tools. I think I like it better integrated into the tabs directly, though. Anyone have a strong preference either way?

Here's the XP tables, which are completely static with nothing to click on:

And finally, once I added wilderness areas, I immediately thought how nice it would be if they would appear in the appropriate quest context menus:

There are also lots of new goodies if you right click packs in the quests lists: Named items, crafting systems, wilderness areas, etc...

I'm still brainstorming how to implement sagas, which I hope to have ready for the new official versions when U36 goes live. In the meantime, play around with this beta and see what you think.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also made all non-elite completions draw in dim text to make it easier to differentiate them.

Oh man that XP chart! That is going to make life so much easier, downloading this now.

Stoner81.

Community Member

If one were to hypothetically have several dozen toons across 3 accounts (not that I would know anything about that), would it be possible to:

Keep toons from different accounts separate, yet visible at the same time? As is, you can either have them in separate files, but have to switch windows to see them both, or in the same file.

Toggle toon visibility so I could have them all in the file, but only a few visible in the chart at a time? Optionally right click on a quest to see completions for all toons.

Edit: Also, could the favor totals be always on top, instead of having to scroll all the way down to see?
    Last edited by peng; 07-27-2017 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peng View Post
    If one were to hypothetically have several dozen toons across 3 accounts (not that I would know anything about that), would it be possible to:

Keep toons from different accounts separate, yet visible at the same time? As is, you can either have them in separate files, but have to switch windows to see them both, or in the same file.

Toggle toon visibility so I could have them all in the file, but only a few visible in the chart at a time? Optionally right click on a quest to see completions for all toons.
    Possibly. Not for next week's (Monday-ish) update, but I'll put some thought into how to make that work.

(EDIT: I could add left/right scrolling to the character columns. I envision letting the user choose how many character columns to display on screen, then if you have more characters than columns you could scroll right to see more. I like this idea, and when implemented I'll add an Import Character feature so you can easily merge multiple compendium files.)

Edit: Also, could the favor totals be always on top, instead of having to scroll all the way down to see?
    At first I added the favor totals at the bottom of the list to the "frame," so that they're always on screen even when you scroll. After implementing it, I was unhappy with how much less grid space could fit on the screen, so I moved the totals down into the grid itself, meaning you could scroll down to see them. My thinking was that the Patrons screen (right click any player column header and choose Total Favor) could be opened if you'd like to see running favor totals.

I can take a look at making it an option:

Show Favor Totals inside grid
    Show Favor Totals outside grid

If it's not overly difficult I'll toss it in there this weekend. Otherwise, it'll go on the list for next update.

Community Member

I don't want to overload you with feature requests but, if you have the time and inclination, could you add something into Compendium Lite to help with what the OP is trying to do in this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by JonD View Post
    I don't want to overload you with feature requests but, if you have the time and inclination, could you add something into Compendium Lite to help with what the OP is trying to do in this thread?
    It doesn't seem like an overly common thing to do, as compared to, say, running sagas.

-------------------------------

Speaking of sagas, I'm currently on the fence on whether sagas should auto-populate as you add your completions in the quest list. Several issues seem like they might be a problem:

- You accidentally paint too far then unpaint the extras. If the extras are saga quests, should they be set then unset by this?
    - Did you run that Lords of Dust chain on heroic or epic? Gianthold? etc...
    - What about after you turn in some sagas but not others? Now what happens if you accidentally paint then undo progress in the quest list?

Community Member

It doesn't seem like an overly common thing to do, as compared to, say, running sagas.
    True, but I thought I'd mention it in passing.

Speaking of sagas, I'm currently on the fence on whether sagas should auto-populate as you add your completions in the quest list. Several issues seem like they might be a problem:
    - You accidentally paint too far then unpaint the extras. If the extras are saga quests, should they be set then unset by this?
    - What about after you turn in some sagas but not others? Now what happens if you accidentally paint then undo progress in the quest list?
    I'm about to run with a regular group, so these thoughts are off the top of my head. I think in general use, it wouldn't be too onerous for people to specify the difficult on which they ran a saga quest twice, so I don't think the quest list assignments should auto-copy to the sagas tab. That neatly sidesteps the problem of over-painting / over-undoing. For initial set-up where people are liable to be doing lots of painting, a simple button on the sagas tab to "copy data from quest list" should be sufficient. </first_thoughts>

The Hatchery
    2015 DDO Players Council

-------------------------------

I don't think it's necessary to auto-set sagas as you fill in the favor, for pretty much the reasons you list. This is really only an issue for the first time you run a quest. If you're one-and-done because you're TRing, then it doesn't matter because it'll be easy to tell what you've done from the quest list. And if you're doing sagas multiple times, you won't be filling in the favor portion (unless, of course, you didn't run everything on Elite the first time but you are a future time).

It *might* be worthwhile to auto-populate the favor from the saga, though. But that might be more trouble than it's worth. You'd need to figure out how to take the higher of N/H/E from heroic and elite, not overwrite an Elite favor with an EH saga completion, figure out what to do with mis-clicks, etc. So probably not really worth it.
    "Ignorance killed the cat, sir; curiosity was framed."
    Tripoint, C.J. Cherryh

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast