Community Member

Default Arcane Archer and Eldritch Knight

My question is regarding the elemental enhancement toggles on these 2, do the toggles overlap( run at same time ) or does one set cancel out the other ?

Short Answer is yes they both stack but the Arrow imbues scale off higher spellpower than the eldritch knight toggles scale. I run an archer that uses both and its nice dps boost.

Community Member

Coming back to this idea.

I was wondering if using the Elven Arcane Archer tree with a sorcerer/wizard would work better than trying to multiclass a ranger with either of the 2 mentioned.

Also I wanted to know if the Elven AA required wisdom to run.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by SilentRunning; 08-17-2017 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRunning View Post
    Coming back to this idea.

I was wondering if using the Elven Arcane Archer tree with a sorcerer/wizard would work better than trying to multiclass a ranger with either of the 2 mentioned.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    It's a minimum of 14ap just to get the AA tree in general, so you might be severely constricted on that front.

Yes it does use wis for dc's.
    Nightmanis De'Corenai 20 Rogue Mechanic or Assassin. Depending on how I feel during the etr.
    Sereine De'Corenai Paladin. Because ETR.

Guild of Won, Officer
    Fors Fortis, Officer

Hate to twist your mind, but God ain't on your side

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Compared to what? No idea what you're trying to achieve here...
    There is no minimum WIS requirement for using the AA tree. However the DCs for Terror and Paralyzing Arrows is always based on WIS (plus Enchantment bonuses), so build accordingly if you plan to use them and want decent DCs.
    Major build threads: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard / Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

Community Member

It should be noted that while Elven AA toggles don't work with repeaters, the toggles from EK do. This is noteworthy if you decide to go /2 Arti on a wizard for trapping and rune arms. Also note that rune arms damage that scales with spell power too and you may have a cheaper equally-effective substitute. Further still, only one EK imbue works at a time and they are level based and not AP based (so you only need 6 points in the tree).

I haven't done the math myself but I expect the repeaters shots-per-second, with rune arm's bonuses, may make up for the lack of AA toggle and as a result net you basically all your points for other trees.

If you match your rune arm's damage to the damage from your EK's imbue you can get by with only one spell power type by using gloves for Spell Power, and Insightful Spell Power, while adding Spell Lore to a ring. This is an extremely low buy in to some reasonable damage.

Since Repeaters can't use manyshot you don't need nearly so much dex or feats to get the build to work either.
    Last edited by Avatarded; 10-07-2017 at 03:24 AM.

Community Member

Default Eldritch knight imbues

My question is regarding the elemental enhancement toggles on these 2, do the toggles overlap( run at same time ) or does one set cancel out the other ?
    I don't believe the eldritch knight elemental damage scales with spellpower at all. The force and elemental damage from the cleave attacks scale with spellpower. The imbue from runearm scales with the higher of melee or ranged power and rune arm damage itself is based on artificer level.

While you have 3 bolts on a repeater the elemental damage would be nowhere near aa imbue damage. It is nice that 6 ap would bring 9d4 but again not scailng. Rune arm imbue ends up insignificant as well as neither source can crit although neither do aa?* imbues.

3d4 light from Warlock does scale and you would have enough ap to get it even with racial arcane archer. With bow or repeater you still need crit range and or multiplier enhancements which are not available in eldritch knight.

Without more specific details on what your goals for the character are it's hard to decide class splits.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Avatarded View Post
    Further still, only one EK imbue works at a time and they are level based and not AP based (so you only need 6 points in the tree).

I haven't done the math myself but I expect the repeaters shots-per-second, with rune arm's bonuses, may make up for the lack of AA toggle and as a result net you basically all your points for other trees.
    The problem with the EK imbues has always been they don't scale with Spellpower, so at best you get 4d4 dmg per hit on a lvl 18+ wiz or sorc. Bear in mind that the AA imbue bugs were just a perk on a shuriken or repeater build which exploited them, not a primary DPS source, and that's with the Spellpower scaling. EK imbues are weaksauce by comparison. I'd build a ranged toon around warlock Spiritual Retribution before I built it based on EK.
    Since Repeaters can't use manyshot you don't need nearly so much dex or feats to get the build to work either.
    You do if you still want Improved Precise Shot (DEX 19) and Combat Archery (DEX 21). And if you don't want either, ask yourself how much you really want to be playing a ranged toon in the first place.
    Major build threads: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard / Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

Community Member

Initially I had a Drow that was ranger 4/wizard 4 ( I was still playing it at the time ). I was trying to make a character that could use as much elemental damage in 1 shot as possible.

I switched over to a standard elf to make the build a bit easier for me to manage. Essentially I'm trying to create a Spellbow build that has more flexibility than a Ranger AA.
    Last edited by SilentRunning; 10-08-2017 at 03:01 PM.

Community Member Doc_Hammer1980's Avatar

Default Force Spell Power?

I've been thinking about a similar build, however, I was going to focus on force spell power (so force arrows) and use EK mostly to get the force spell power bonuses. EK toggles were a secondary thought. The other interesting part is that obviously all of your force spells could do a decent amount of damage as well. Unfortunately, Wisdom based DCs don't seem to work out very well, but it seems viable... maybe.

I would also consider Half-elf with Warlock Dilly. That 1d4 fire damage is improved with spellpower (I've tested it) and works with spells and your ranged attacks (once every two seconds I believe). In effect, its like adding an additional magic missile.

Community Member

I had the same idea: ranged attack that ran off of spell power, with the self-buffing that comes from playing a spellcaster.

I can confidently report my findings: meh.

There was an AA/acid ranger build suggested for first lifers in the ranger section, and I thought, hey, do an acid plus build. So, acid-based Dragonborn, Ranger 16, AA with Elemental Longbow of Earth (from Cannith challenges), Rock Boots (same source), and 4 levels of Sorc splash using EK and Earth Savant to add acid spell power and damage. It was ok. A DWS Ranger build, or a Rogue Mech, Monkcher, or even a Repeater Arti, are probably all more effective. Once I got close to level 20, it seemed like the acid damage finally took off and started dishing out green gooey hurt that could keep up with other builds, but I felt gimped for most of his heroic life.

The one thing I liked was when I inevitably attracted aggro in quests with large numbers of mobs, the acid breath weapon + knockdown, followed by acid spray, for area affect damage was pretty nice. If that didn't prove adequate, fire off Memory of Flight (only 15 sec timer), and repeat the process.

So, I didn't do any hard calculations, but having done other ranged builds, the idea was interesting, but definitely sub-optimal. If EK used spell power (which it should!) to scale up damage, then it might be a worthwhile build.

The goal was to get a heroic life done not, to go into Epic with this build, and while maybe something could have been done there, I doubt it.
    Last edited by SocratesBastardSon; 10-17-2017 at 10:51 PM.
    "I didn't change my mind, It changed all by itself" – Luna

Community Member Doc_Hammer1980's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SocratesBastardSon View Post
    That sucks. But thanks for letting me know before I put the time into it.

Community Member

Default Failed Experiment, Failed Fun

Glad I could help.

I kept thinking I would report my impressions, but hadn't gotten around to it until I saw your post.

The build was an experiment, because sometimes the only way to really check something out is to do it. Even if someone does the numerical analysis on effectiveness it doesn't capture how a build feels when you play it. I've played builds that weren't the very best, but were such fun I didn't care. This one wasn't that. And I can't think of a way to improve it to make it more fun. So... not doing that again.
    "I didn't change my mind, It changed all by itself" – Luna

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SocratesBastardSon View Post
    I had the same idea: ranged attack that ran off of spell power, with the self-buffing that comes from playing a spellcaster.

The goal was to get a heroic life done not, to go into Epic with this build, and while maybe something could have been done there, I doubt it.
    Good to read about this, as I had been having the same general idea. I had been thinking about it as a Sorc life, probably Sorc 12 / Ranger 8. That would mean both more savant spell power, and FWIW more EK imbue, though losing IPS. Imagine putting AOE damage spell down close by, and then hitting mobs with arrows and pulling them in. My hunch is it’ll still be basically a gimped ranger in effect, but who knows, may try it anyway.