Thread: 4k HUD problem

Default 4k HUD problem

Hey guys,

Can't seem to find this mentioned anywhere else, so here I go.

I recently upgraded my monitor to a 3840x2160 Res one and found the the HUD/Quickbars in ddo are minuscule. I find it hard to read them when in runs and keeping an eye on the party HPs is almost impossible.

Does anyone know of a fix for this?

Regards

Spiderpig

The UI size isn't adjustable, so you're exchange for the nicer details is the smaller boxes & such.

There's no fix, short of them recoding the UI to be adjustable - not a programmer, so no idea how much or little work is involved there.
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.
    Actual play experience is worth infinitely more than theorycrafting...

Players asked for adjustable UI for so long. It would be great if they would get around it finally. I still play in HD instead of full HD because of it.

There have been threads on this before, it's becoming more and more of an issue as everyone upgrades computer systems. Unlike in game bugs that you can kind of live with like funky ladders, teeny UI is virtually unplayable and/or ruins the play experience.
    Start cross server trading and profit!
    Characters: Grandern Marn / Yazmirr Grezztl / Vexir Bristleblade / Zappinaizah Subatrumpf Server: Orien Guild: Faca na Caveira
    New to the Orien server? Type "/joinchannel Titan" into the chat window and join some lively DDO discussion! Happy to help out with any questions.

I know why it shouldn't be, but I still find it funny anyway.

Folks drop cash upgrading their computers, video cards and/or monitors... and end up with a less enjoyable play experience...

Gives my 2006 Mac a bit of a warm fuzzy feeling too ^^
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.
    Actual play experience is worth infinitely more than theorycrafting...

I used to play on a 42 inch 4k TV but even using that the hotbars were unusable. It's annoying since LotRO which uses the same engine (I think) has a scalable UI.

Every new display tech has some drawbacks - they dont seem able to get the whole package together for the full experience. I got a 144Hz monitor for instance but the drawback is colour banding and a less than perfect picture, even with full RGB. I got a perfect picture on my old 23 in IPS panel but it was restricted to 60 Hz so 60 fps. I'm getting 144 fps on the new monitor. The TV had lots of input lag, a high refresh IPS panel is hideously expensive, three monitors have a distorted picture. My Rift is low resolution, my projector can only really play in a very dark room and you get the annoying fan noise....the list goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    There's no fix, short of them recoding the UI to be adjustable - not a programmer, so no idea how much or little work is involved there.
    I won't hazard to guess how difficult scaling UI would be, but even if they just added a checkbox to options to double the size of all UI elements, that might go a long way toward making hotbars more usable. That might still be a ton of work, but certainly less work than full scaling.

If its any consolation, there are other problems in games. I can't play Planetside 2 in 4k either , even though it runs well. That's because the player icons are so tiny I can't tell friend from foe. Being colourblind doesn't help

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Greyhawk6 View Post
    .... three monitors have a distorted picture.

Not for me, it doesn't. I have played 3 monitors on a virtual 5760 x 1080 field since 1012. Aspect ratio is "auto".

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_of_QF View Post
    Not for me, it doesn't. I have played 3 monitors on a virtual 5760 x 1080 field since 1012. Aspect ratio is "auto".
    Thats pretty old tech...mine doesnt last 5 years, yours is 1000 years old!!!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Greyhawk6 View Post
    Thats pretty old tech...mine doesnt last 5 years, yours is 1000 years old!!!

Yes, it is true: My pc was assembled by a group of ambidextrous Allosaurus. For months, I was cleaning out shed dinosaur scales from the case.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    I won't hazard to guess how difficult scaling UI would be, but even if they just added a checkbox to options to double the size of all UI elements, that might go a long way toward making hotbars more usable. That might still be a ton of work, but certainly less work than full scaling.
    And halving. Don't forget halving. When I started DDO in '09 i had to buy a new monitor because the res was too low and I couldn't see anything once I had more than about 4 hotbars on the screen. I was most annoyed, since the last three or four games I'd played around then had UI scaling and it simply didn't matter. Can't believe 8 years later they still haven't improved this, its atrocious really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by Amundir View Post
    My words are great. Even out of context.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by dunklezhan View Post
    Can't believe 8 years later they still haven't improved this, its atrocious really.
    Indeed. I was replaying the very old Deus Ex (the original, still the best of the lot), and *it* has UI scaling... dating back to well before DDO was a gleam in the eyes of a programmer...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_of_QF View Post
    Indeed. I was replaying the very old Deus Ex (the original, still the best of the lot), and *it* has UI scaling... dating back to well before DDO was a gleam in the eyes of a programmer...
    Heh, yeah.

Want me to buy Ravenloft? Include a UI overhaul with it, and I'm sold (thought I'd rather that was just dealt with in a dedicated QOL update).
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by Amundir View Post
    My words are great. Even out of context.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderPig View Post
    Hey guys,

Can't seem to find this mentioned anywhere else, so here I go.

I recently upgraded my monitor to a 3840x2160 Res one and found the the HUD/Quickbars in ddo are minuscule. I find it hard to read them when in runs and keeping an eye on the party HPs is almost impossible.

Does anyone know of a fix for this?

Regards

Spiderpig
    Wish there was. I bought a 43 inch 4K TV I use as a monitor. I think DDO looks pretty good on it considering the age, but the Bars and all the text are close to unreadable. I been on the game since right after the begining, so my eyesight is not getting better. Love to see the UI scalable or even ability to double it as mentioned above would help.
    It is ok to hate me, I don't like me most of the time.
    The Harsh Reality is "we both believe we are right"
    People are strange
    Relax, it is a game to be enjoyed.