Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default The new standard...

It used to be I'd run a quest on elite, then for some quests I'd run it on hard. When I posted the LFM for hard, I'd often get tells asking me why I wasn't running elite. And I'd get tells (after I'd started the quest) from people who said if I restarted on elite they would join, otherwise they wouldn't.

Nowadays it seems that I post an LFM for elite, and I get tells asking why I'm not running it on reaper. I also seem to be getting a lot of tells like this:
    Complete stranger: "Elite? Why not reaper?"

Me: "No, thanks."

Complete stranger: "If you do it on R5, I'll join your group."

Me: "No, thanks. Not a big fan of reaper."

Complete stranger: "How about R4?"

I also recall people who would post LFM's reading "Elite for BB. Need guide and opener." Nowadays I'll join an elite LFM and hear, "Oh, good, now we have a three people! We'll do it on R5! Does anyone know the quest? I've never done it before."
    All on Thelanis: Archenpaul Sixblade (Epic Completionist), Archernicus Thornwood, Gregorovic Redcloak, Jaklomeo Evermug, Jarladdin Nalfesne, Jonathraxius Kane, and Praetoreus Silvershield (Triple Heroic Completionist, Epic Completionist.)

Sole member of Guinness Knights (Level 142)

Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by mobrien316 View Post
    It used to be I'd run a quest on elite, then for some quests I'd run it on hard. When I posted the LFM for hard, I'd often get tells asking me why I wasn't running elite. And I'd get tells (after I'd started the quest) from people who said if I restarted on elite they would join, otherwise they wouldn't.

Nowadays it seems that I post an LFM for elite, and I get tells asking why I'm not running it on reaper. I also seem to be getting a lot of tells like this:

I also recall people who would post LFM's reading "Elite for BB. Need guide and opener." Nowadays I'll join an elite LFM and hear, "Oh, good, now we have a three people! We'll do it on R5! Does anyone know the quest? I've never done it before."

...True?

I'm not sure what to say. Personally, I'm never stepping foot in an elite quest again. They're too easy and R1 is better xp/min. I imagine most people feel the same way.

I'm not sure what else to say. :P

I guess if you're looking for a suggestion, it'd be learn to like reaper? I mean there's not really much to not like. Of course, I'd never hit someone else's lfm and ask them to run a different difficulty, especially when I know if you're running in on elite you can also open reaper, so it's obviously a choice to run the easier difficulty. It's a tad different if you have a hard LFM up because maybe you're just not able to open elite.

I always replied because I already solo'd elite with my non useless build. Or the treasured I can open elite. You too? hahahah. Ah nubbies they make the world go round. Someones gotta keep this game funded.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Community Member

Keep doing what you are doing, running the difficulty you can handle...don't let ANYONE bully you into a difficulty you are not ready for or do not enjoy playing.

I post my LFMS for Hard / Elite and keep them that way, if I end up solo'ing so be it. If someone joins and wants to run reaper then they can go join another group, I refuse to play in reaper and if I join a group listed as Elite and it turns into reaper, I will drop group. It's that simple.

Play to enjoy the game, not be forced to play with other because of a lack of options. Make your own options, and sooner or later like minded players will join you.
    Last edited by sk3l3t0r; 04-21-2017 at 03:23 PM.
    Main toon - Galing (Sarlona)
    Heroic Completionist x1 - 11/03/2016. Epic Completionist x1 - 12/04/2016
    Current life #43 (14 Epic, 23 Heroic, 3 Iconic, 3 Racial): Warforge 20 Arti 10 Epic

So sad, so funny.

A lot of people run Elite, but they tend to be 1st-lifers who are not running with a pack of legend-level toons. When 1st lifers try Reaper, it's often a good ol' fashioned TPW. And, somehow, that result is very satisfying, in the greater picture.

(btw - since you don't like reaper... would you consider R2?)

When I did my normal once and done TR to see if people would join those groups or not, I put up LFMs for "normal difficulty (not hard or elite)"

I suspect if you put "elite run (no reaper)" you will stop being harassed by people trying to drive your groups from the back seat, and be joined by people who want to run elite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013 (when concurrency was ~4x what it is today)

Community Member SpartanKiller13's Avatar

Nowadays it seems that I post an LFM for elite, and I get tells asking why I'm not running it on reaper.

If I'm running E/H (for xp usually) I'll post as E/H and when people join I'll /tell "we're doing hard now, that ok?" before accepting their join.
    These days I tend to run R1 because it's basically Elite with free SP and a little extra xp; but if I don't want to or don't feel like it I won't.

If I'm on a first life I'll post as "N/H/E unless we get Opener" usually.

If they're running R5 on a quest for the first time I'd join just to stand back and laugh, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    So sad, so funny.

A lot of people run Elite, but they tend to be 1st-lifers who are not running with a pack of legend-level toons. When 1st lifers try Reaper, it's often a good ol' fashioned TPW. And, somehow, that result is very satisfying, in the greater picture.
    Unless you're VIP (and how many first lifers are? Most who are can build/gear a toon and are Reaper capable) you can't open Elite anyway.
    If you can run Elite you should be able to run R1 (unless you get a reaper in a wall etc). If you try R5 as your first Reaper, gg.
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Quote Originally Posted by zehnvhex View Post
    Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorc. You gives up some of the damage and self sustain for the ability to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    It's DDO. There are probably 6 different types of Evil damage.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanKiller13 View Post
    Unless you're VIP (and how many first lifers are? Most who are can build/gear a toon and are Reaper capable) you can't open Elite anyway.
    Just fyi, totally untrue.

Premium players learn early to cultivate and then dual-box their own openers. Far less convenient than simply being VIP, but results in a lot of 1st life Elite runs.

Sovereign Vorpal Halfling of Supreme Good scipiojedi's Avatar

All my friends who I just got to join the game are all running on normal and won't do anything harder as it is too difficult (and yes it is for them). They also don't know how to build their characters and I can't hold their hand all the time since they play at times other than me, so I let them use the pre-made paths, even though I know they are bad, they are learning a lot all at once and throwing on top of it all how to build a character gets really crazy.
    Working for free makes it very difficult to spend money on swords.
    https://www.twitch.tv/jobus1221/
    YouTube Channel
    -My main is Jobus on Khyber but I do play my alts regularly -

Just a few words in the LFM can help clarify for any camp:

"Running elite, but would consider reaper with a good group"
    "Running elite, then hard - no reaper"
    "Reaper ate my best friend, please don't mention it"
    "Running hard and randomly swinging a muckbane, but would consider reaper if someone would pay for a new monitor - mine failed and only displays green today"
    Happy 14th DDO.

I'm not sure if there really is a standard anymore.

In my experience in heroic levels, people usually want to run reaper (judging by how fast lfm's fill up) but will also run elite, and elite might even be a bit more popular when you get to vale/lod/wheloon levels (16-18 + 2 banked levels). In epic levels people usually want to run elite, but there's a healthy population content to run hard, and a few odd people willing to try reaper. In legendary it once again becomes easier to find people/groups for reaper, and they're often willing to try higher skull difficulties then those completed in the common low-level groups. And as always EN or EH dailies fill really fast.
    Selvera: Aasimar Fighter 20; Old and wise fighter.
    Jen: Half Elf Fvs 20/Epic 10; Healer Archer with a more supportive build then usual
    Mayve: Drow Bard 14/Wizard 6; Vampire Enchantress

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gratch View Post

"Running hard and randomly swinging a muckbane, but would consider reaper if someone would pay for a new monitor - mine failed and only displays green today"
    Gave me a good chuckle, might have to use some of these
    Main toon - Galing (Sarlona)
    Heroic Completionist x1 - 11/03/2016. Epic Completionist x1 - 12/04/2016
    Current life #43 (14 Epic, 23 Heroic, 3 Iconic, 3 Racial): Warforge 20 Arti 10 Epic

Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter

Here is what works for me.

I post "HH ~ already ran elite"

Sometimes I do all 3 first time xp bonus, "HN ~ already ran HE and HH"

or

"R1" "R2" "R3"

Yep, new standard and my signature says it all. I've dropped from dozens of groups who had the lfm stating elite than changing their mind to Reaper AFTER we run all the way to the quest or decide to do Reaper in the middle of the chain. I've had players drop from my groups when it clearly stated elite because I wouldn't do Reaper. I've had several try to talk me into running Reaper because the xp is so much better and not much different from elite.

As I have said before, history is repeating itself.
    #MakeDDOGreatAgain

You are the one choosing not to play alts.

Casual player now investing way less than I used to into the game, playing 1-3 months at a time and still want nothing to do with Reaper. #improvepuggrouping#alldifficultiesmatter

Community Member SpartanKiller13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    Just fyi, totally untrue.

Premium players learn early to cultivate and then dual-box their own openers. Far less convenient than simply being VIP, but results in a lot of 1st life Elite runs.
    Just FYI, partially untrue. Some might, certainly not all though. I don't recall ever running with another Premium where when we couldn't open Elite they were like "hey, let me grab my dual-box opener, brb".
    I've also never run with a dual-boxer who needed to grab their opener, and I've run with quite a few.

As a Premium player myself I tried dual-boxing for about a week, decided I hated it, and never looked back.
    It's a huge hassle and not worth it IMO. It's pretty common to get a response to your LFM for an opener, and after you've TR'ed once you can HBB which is good enough even without an Elite opener.

Maybe you do it, and that's where your opinion comes from, but I would be amazed if the majority of Premium players have a dual-box opener. I'd be flabbergasted if even 20% use one regularly, let alone have one.

Just because you can doesn't mean you do.
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Quote Originally Posted by zehnvhex View Post
    Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorc. You gives up some of the damage and self sustain for the ability to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.
    It's DDO. There are probably 6 different types of Evil damage.

It seems like complaining about the newest thing is peoples favorite past-time on the DDO forums. It's like the posters are all a bunch of grumpy old men that can't comprehend change.

"All these no good whipper snappers want to do is Reaper, whatever happened to good old face rolling Elite?"

"Those dang Warlocks are ruining the world! Why can't all these ungrateful kids play Elf Ranger Princesses like we did in the old days!"

"The new fangled crafting is too hard! Why can't the Devs just let us have all the ingredients we want instead of making us collect them! I haven't played this game for a decade to have to work for anything!"

They should change the name of Stormreach to the "Eberron Home for the Elderly".

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    I suspect if you put "elite run (no reaper)" you will stop being harassed by people trying to drive your groups from the back seat, and be joined by people who want to run elite.
    Well I stopped being harassed by people!

I ended up running Heroic E-BB VoN 3+4 SOLO!

Because once I added no reaper to the LFM nobody hit it!

I'm getting really fed up of people hitting my E-BB LFMs that very specifically state E-BB as well as being properly set-up for level range AND Quest marked and they immediately ask for Reaper and tell me off when I say no!

Funny thing is they then go and put up their own LFM for Reaper so they know how to!

And no that wasn't a one-off, I can almost guarantee now that if I put up an E-BB LFM someone will join and ask me to change it to Reaper, it's happened that many times already!

Community Member

And here I wish I could get people to hit my no-penalty R5s, but it seems like R1 2 overlevel is the new norm. Don't worry we all have it rough. I kind of think my Thelanis experiment is over. Server LFMs seem to be dead. I get like four good people willing to run R5 with me, and if they're not on, I'm soloing.

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Gun View Post
    It seems like complaining about the newest thing is peoples favorite past-time on the DDO forums. It's like the posters are all a bunch of grumpy old men that can't comprehend change.

"All these no good whipper snappers want to do is Reaper, whatever happened to good old face rolling Elite?"

"Those dang Warlocks are ruining the world! Why can't all these ungrateful kids play Elf Ranger Princesses like we did in the old days!"

"The new fangled crafting is too hard! Why can't the Devs just let us have all the ingredients we want instead of making us collect them! I haven't played this game for a decade to have to work for anything!"

They should change the name of Stormreach to the "Eberron Home for the Elderly".
    Too many lines to be put into a sig! Git off mah lawn!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013 (when concurrency was ~4x what it is today)

Quote Originally Posted by sk3l3t0r View Post
    Keep doing what you are doing, running the difficulty you can handle...don't let ANYONE bully you into a difficulty you are not ready for or do not enjoy playing.

I post my LFMS for Hard / Elite and keep them that way, if I end up solo'ing so be it. If someone joins and wants to run reaper then they can go join another group, I refuse to play in reaper and if I join a group listed as Elite and it turns into reaper, I will drop group. It's that simple.

Play to enjoy the game, not be forced to play with other because of a lack of options. Make your own options, and sooner or later like minded players will join you.
    Good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Gratch View Post

Belly laughs.

Quote Originally Posted by jalont View Post
    And here I wish I could get people to hit my no-penalty R5s, but it seems like R1 2 overlevel is the new norm. Don't worry we all have it rough. I kind of think my Thelanis experiment is over. Server LFMs seem to be dead. I get like four good people willing to run R5 with me, and if they're not on, I'm soloing.
    I play on Thelanis, and I will honestly tell you I'm not skilled enough to play R5 even if I wanted to, I still struggle with at level elite often enough. I've grouped with people on occasion that seemed to be able to breeze through Epic Elites, even Legendary raids as if hardly anything could touch them but I'm not one of them... I hope they're enjoying the 10 new difficulties all to themselves. Sincerely, no snark.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Phantastique - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast