Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Community Manager

Default The DDO Players Council is now accepting applications!

We are once again taking applications for the DDO Players Council! Please fill out the application completely, and email it to ddo@standingstonegames.com before 11:59pm Eastern on Thursday, April 27th if you would like to be considered. We will have future application opportunities at various times moving forward, but any applications sent in when we are not actively seeking applicants will be ignored.

This will be the fourth year of the DDO Players Council, and it's been a great experiment. It has allowed the community to have in-depth discussions with members of our development team, and get a better sense of what the actual game development process is like. For us, it provides a unique opportunity to gather feedback in a semi-private environment where people who might not otherwise speak get a chance to present ideas and opinions. It also gives us a second "first impression", which can be extremely valuable. (The other "first impression" tends to happen when we debut something on Lamannia.)

After doing this for a few years, we've been thinking quite a bit about what worked, what didn't, and how we should proceed with the program. One of the things we're doing is getting rid of the formal yearly tenure; it can take time for people to practice their feedback skills and become comfortable with the process, and it's a waste to have them stop because of an arbitrary tenure.

That said, having a smaller focused group is also very important. So, we're going to transition into a regularly-rotating group of members, to give a larger number of people the opportunity to participate, and also allow us to bring in people we know will give us good feedback whenever the time is right.

Having a larger and less structured membership poses a challenge when it comes to keeping things private. Some folks would prefer if we didn't have a Non-Disclosure Agreement on the Council, but we do it because it allows us to have a level of conversation we simply can't have if everything is being judged by the wider public. It also (and just as importantly) allows players to speak their mind without putting themselves in the public spotlight. The NDA also gives people who would not otherwise participate on the forums an opportunity to be on the Council.

So, if you are accepted, you'll agree to an NDA. If you break the NDA, there will be consequences, up to having your game account permanently banned.

Another change that we're making is to let people participate on topics that they are extremely interested in, then drop out if they'd like. If you are a Cleric expert, we'd love to have you on the Council when we talk about Clerics, but you might not care about non-Cleric things. So, if that's you, let us know in the application and we'll do our best. We won't promise that we'll bring you in every time, or even at all, but it's an additional consideration we want to have.

One of the larger misconceptions we hear from people who haven't been on the Council is the belief that this is a voting body. It isn't, and never has been. Participants don't decide our schedule, or represent the DDO community at-large. They represent themselves, their personal opinion, and to some extent the kind of playstyle and subset of the community they gravitate toward. This is BY DESIGN. We don't do votes because the point isn't to get a majority opinion. Rather, it's to get diverse and comprehensive feedback from as wide a cross-section of the community as we can manage in a small group setting. So far we've been pretty successful at this, and we hope it continues in the future.

Finally, I would caution that while this is a huge opportunity, it's not for everyone. Some people don't like and can't handle "seeing the sausage get made." If you read something one of us says and react with extreme emotion and the desire to warn the world about impending doom, this isn't the program for you. If you are on the Council, I PROMISE you will see bad ideas along with good ideas. Sometimes it's deliberate, sometimes we brainstorm with the Council, and sometimes we test the waters to see if there's an aspect of a thing we hadn't considered. You will also see things that never happen! As previous Council members will tell you, that's part of the process. Maybe these things will happen someday when the time is right, maybe not. So, if you read an idea and consider it a promise or set in stone, the Council is also not for you.

BUT - if you want to get a peek behind the development curtain, provide valuable feedback to us on a variety of topics, and interact in a civil, intelligent, and positive way with others, please apply!

DDO Player Council Application

If you would like to apply or nominate someone to participate for the DDO Player Council, please submit an email to ddo@standingstonegames.com with the Subject Line 2017 DDO Players Council Application with the following information:

1. Real Name

2. Email address

3. Forum Name

4. Primary Character Name (pick one)

5. Primary Class (or general class style)

6. Primary Server or Servers

7. Primary Guild or Guilds

8. How would you describe the way you play DDO?

9. Have you been, Free, Premium, VIP? What are you now?

10. What are some of the topics you are most interested in discussing?

11. Are you interested in being a longer-term member, or someone who takes part in discussions on certain topics?

12. What do you think you can bring to the Players Council?

13. Give us a test of your writing and feedback skill by answering this question with as short or long of an answer as you feel is right: What is the state of ranged power in DDO, and if changes should be made, what would you suggest?

14. Are you over the age of 18?

15. Where are you from geographically (this helps us get a cross-section of people from across the globe)?

16. If you participate in the Players Council, will you agree to follow the Non-Disclosure Agreement, and accept the consequences of breaking the NDA? You can read the NDA here: https://www.ddo.com/en/news/ddo-play...il-faq-and-nda

Good luck!
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter YouTube
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    That said, having a smaller focused group is also very important. So, we're going to transition into a regularly-rotating group of members, to give a larger number of people the opportunity to participate, and also allow us to bring in people we know will give us good feedback whenever the time is right.
    Another change that we're making is to let people participate on topics that they are extremely interested in, then drop out if they'd like. If you are a Cleric expert, we'd love to have you on the Council when we talk about Clerics, but you might not care about non-Cleric things. So, if that's you, let us know in the application and we'll do our best. We won't promise that we'll bring you in every time, or even at all, but it's an additional consideration we want to have.
    Interesting approach.

13. Give us a test of your writing and feedback skill by answering this question with as short or long of an answer as you feel is right: What is the state of ranged power in DDO, and if changes should be made, what would you suggest?
    What if we're only interested in certain topics, but that's not one of them?
    Quote Originally Posted by ProducerRowan View Post
    Our final update of 2014 will extend the level cap to 30, which is intended to be DDO’s “permanent” level cap

The Hatchery

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    Yeah I had trouble answering that question since I have not played a ranged character in a long time and am really only able to say "ranged damage seems fine based on how I see other player using ranged characters" or something to that effect. I have a lot of experience with many aspects of the game but that's just not one of them.

Could we get a couple more example questions for #13?

Community Manager

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    Interesting approach.

Fill the question out so we can get a sense of how you provide feedback. Pretend you care?
    Join us on Twitch!

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

Fill the question out so we can get a sense of how you provide feedback. Pretend you care?
    +1 Can't give you rep, but that is hilarious.

2016 DDO Players Council
    Resident Blue Dragon
    Hero of the Flame

After doing this for a few years, we've been thinking quite a bit about what worked, what didn't, and how we should proceed with the program. One of the things we're doing is getting rid of the formal yearly tenure; it can take time for people to practice their feedback skills and become comfortable with the process, and it's a waste to have them stop because of an arbitrary tenure.
    I'm curious, what does this mean for the current Player's Council members? Does it mean that we can apply again for a second consecutive year?

Epic response.
    +1
    Server: Cannith
    Mains: Miahoo, Miahoorog, Miahoohealer, Miahoohjeal, Miahoopuke

Community Member changelingamuck's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hipparan View Post
    I'm curious, what does this mean for the current Player's Council members? Does it mean that we can apply again for a second consecutive year?
    Look at the thread in the players council forum.

Good luck to everyone applying.

Cordo, can you put the bit that says 'its not a voting body' in big neon letters. Folk really have to get their head around that.

This is a privy council, not a city council. More of a counsel, if you like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by Amundir View Post
    My words are great. Even out of context.

Micki's Delirium
    2014 DDO Players Council

It would be fun to have a look behind the curtains again... but I have even less time right now than I did back in 2014.

Maybe I should apply just for the heck of it.
    Read my blog: Micki's Delirium
    Follow me: @DDOMicki (Twitter) Thazara Of Orien (YouTube) DDOMicki (Twitch)
    Join Orien Raiding: Orien Raiding Discord

We are once again taking applications for the DDO Players Council! Please fill out the application completely, and email it to ddo@standingstonegames.com before 11:59pm Eastern on Thursday, April 27th if you would like to be considered. We will have future application opportunities at various times moving forward, but any applications sent in when we are not actively seeking applicants will be ignored.
    7 days to apply. Long window.

Good luck!
    Obviously a mean to gather feedback on Ranged Power. Looking forward to its nerf in the future soon (tm).

Really? How about adding a few of the other 50.000 questions that you could ask?

Here are free examples:

- Give us a test of your writing and feedback skill by answering this question with as short or long of an answer as you feel is right: What is the state of Warlocks in DDO, and if changes should be made, what would you suggest?
    - Give us a test of your writing and feedback skill by answering this question with as short or long of an answer as you feel is right: What is the state of Artificer power in DDO, and if changes should be made, what would you suggest?
    - Give us a test of your writing and feedback skill by answering this question with as short or long of an answer as you feel is right: What is the state of Epic Destinies in DDO, and if changes should be made, what would you suggest?
    - Give us a test of your writing and feedback skill by answering this question with as short or long of an answer as you feel is right: What is the state of Reaper difficulty in DDO, and if changes should be made, what would you suggest?
    - Give us a test of your writing and feedback skill by answering this question with as short or long of an answer as you feel is right: What is the state of Endgame in DDO, and if changes should be made, what would you suggest?

Good luck to everyone applying though!
    Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post
    I don't think you get a choice.. you are Rys's minion..

DDO Official Troubadour Taurnish's Avatar

Default question

Will you accept nominations?
    Cannith! Too many alts to list. Lorrtusk, Lorrtank (my main), Lorrgar, Batonrouge, Jimmyhendrix, Jimipage, Ironzealot, Lorrsane, Taurnish, etc.

Community Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Hipparan View Post
    Yes, all previous and current Council members can apply. We'll also probably reach out to some of you directly.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurnish View Post
    Will you accept nominations?
    Yes.

On the question for feedback: The main point is to get a sense of your writing style and how you provide feedback. As long as we were making you write, though, it made sense to get feedback on an actual thing we're interested in. Don't read too much into it, though.
    Join us on Twitch!

Community Member

Given that I don't post almost ever here guess I might have to dust this down if I am going to help. Seriously glad chrome remembered who I was. Although been a little lazy in game today only played 20 minutes so far today... must try harder (feels like a school report).
    http://thehouseofgrouse.blogspot.co.uk House of Grouse blog of Clan Grouse

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seikojin View Post
    +1 Can't give you rep, but that is hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miahoo View Post
    Epic response.
    +1
    You guys thought this was snark? They don't need an essay to see what someone's feedback style is like. It's easy. 1) Click on applicant's forum profile link. 2) Click on the "Find Latest Posts". 3) Look at how they provide feedback.

If they really cared about the state of build archetypes and balance in this game, they wouldn't waste time soliciting what will largely end up being uninformed or misinformed opinions from people that have never run that type of build or have run it but nowhere near it's potential. This will invariably just result in a more of the "I was in a 7-skull mission and didn't get any kills because the <insert OP'd, hated build of the day> killed one-shotted everything with death beams from their toes." comments that fill these forums on a regular basis.

If they really cared, they could be talking directly to the builders and the players who actually run the meta builds to get educated opinions backed by knowledge and in-depth experience instead. They could log into the game and spectate missions and raids to see first-hand how the more skilled players run builds to their maximum potential. There are plenty of candidates for this for on pretty much any build archetype and on pretty much any server.
    Last edited by LT218; 04-20-2017 at 12:47 PM.

On the question for feedback: The main point is to get a sense of your writing style and how you provide feedback. As long as we were making you write, though, it made sense to get feedback on an actual thing we're interested in. Don't read too much into it, though.
    We will see. I'm calling Ranged Power nerf for U36.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post
    I don't think you get a choice.. you are Rys's minion..

Quote Originally Posted by Wizza View Post
    We will see. I'm calling Ranged Power nerf for U36.
    Buff Artificers and nerf them at the same time! It will save time on the U36 .1, .2, and .3 nerf patches.
    ||| Ghallanda - Ryethieldus |||

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LT218 View Post
    If they really cared, they could be talking directly to the builders and the players who actually run the meta builds to get educated opinions backed by knowledge and in-depth experience instead. They could log into the game and spectate missions and raids to see first-hand how the more skilled players run builds to their maximum potential. There are plenty of candidates for this for on pretty much any build archetype and on pretty much any server.
    Well I have played every class and every race. Got a class completionist, and looking forward to beating the devs into giving us a blood completionist if they add me to the players council. Admit my pally and ranger have been parked for a while but with 27 toons I do play all sorts of content. First time I have applied mind so they might hate me.
    http://thehouseofgrouse.blogspot.co.uk House of Grouse blog of Clan Grouse

2015 DDO Players Council
    The Legendary Fighter God

One suggestion:

Perhaps it would be better for NDA compliance if you didn't publicly announce the new members? This way people are less likely to target those individuals for information, since nobody would know who is on the council except the devs and other council members.
    Check out my Twitch Channel
    Argonnessen's DEGENERATE MATTER

Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter

Default Transparency V. NDA

Quote Originally Posted by Cetus View Post
    One suggestion:

Perhaps it would be better for NDA compliance if you didn't publicly announce the new members? This way people are less likely to target those individuals for information, since nobody would know who is on the council except the devs and other council members.
    True, folks would needle me in-game and be upset when I wouldn't tell them anything.

Some of the stuff we discussed never even came to be.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast