2015 DDO Players Council
    The Legendary Fighter God

Default Optimizing our interaction with our inventory

It would be really nice if the devs can implement some upgrades in how we interact with our inventory. A lot of time goes into sifting through our multiple "caches" looking for various things. We should have the following implemented:

- Global search functions (which character has what - on an account-wide basis)
    - Search by minimum level
    - Search by augments that are slotted
    - Spell component bags / Potion bags / Scroll bags / Wand bags
    - Mass TR cache export (this takes FOREVER).

You already have an auction house interface for a lot of this. You can recycle at least that part of the code, which should make this simpler to implement.
    Check out my Twitch Channel
    Argonnessen's DEGENERATE MATTER

That ship have sailed long time ago.

The inventory management in this game is the worst in any game i've ever seen.

Say you do a quest and swap some gear around from a hotbar...you loot some stuff and Here you go your entire inventory is a mess with new stuff in the first tabs and you have to search for pieces of random loot.
    This game Does things good but inventory engagement isn't one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shavron View Post
    That ship have sailed long time ago.

The inventory management in this game is the worst in any game i've ever seen.

Say you do a quest and swap some gear around from a hotbar...you loot some stuff and Here you go your entire inventory is a mess with new stuff in the first tabs and you have to search for pieces of random loot.
    This game Does things good but inventory engagement isn't one of them.
    Yeah, switching weapon sets for some reason involves putting the items you were holding in the first available slot. Unlike swapping every other item which swaps their places in your inventory. I gave up trying to keep my weapons in one place so now they all have the lock engaged so I can find them easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We are trying to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cetus View Post
    It would be really nice if the devs can implement some upgrades in how we interact with our inventory. A lot of time goes into sifting through our multiple "caches" looking for various things. We should have the following implemented:

You already have an auction house interface for a lot of this. You can recycle at least that part of the code, which should make this simpler to implement.
    indeed.

It is what we want.. a real comprehensive system that lets us manage inventory across our accounts.
    not more haphazard separate systems..
    shared bank, bank, bag deposit box, TR cache, .. separate antiquated inadequate patchworked systems that don't tie together

consolidate these into a unified system using the AH interface..

also
    It is a pita to shuffle cosmetics around as inventory icons.
    take the cosmetics and put them into a duplication of the cuti-pet inventory tab..
    there is no comprehensive reason to have these as inventory/banked cosmetics when they could be pooled and usable across the account.
    open up the cosmetics to be something to build on, not kill inventory space.
    Argo: Degenerate Matter - 200
    Jotmon (HC 30/42 , RC 36/39 , IC 12/21 , EC 29/48 , RP 95/158)
    Jotlock (HC 38/42 , RC 0/39 , IC 15/21 , EC 36/48 , RP 36/158..favor toon)
    Whatthetruck (HC 38/42 , RC 35/39 , IC 15/21 , EC 30/48 , RP 88/158)

They've stated it's pretty much never going to happen. It would require a complete UI rework and they simply don't have to expertise/time to do so. I don't think they even have a guy who does that sort of work. Would explain why every time they do something that requires a new UI element they have to outsource it or re-purpose an existing thing.

I imagine that's how we ended up with the hilarity that was the TR inventory overflow bug on test last time around. For those that didn't know when you TR'd your inventory/bank would dump into your characters inventory instead of your TR cache, often causing severe item overflow. Since you can't leave the TR area without accepting the quest reward and you can't accept the quest reward without an open inventory slot this meant you'd have to delete items until you had an open inventory slot.

I'm guessing when they copy/pasted the shared bank code to replace the current bank code they couldn't figure out how to tie the TR cache to the shared bank code. The TR cache is a hack to begin with and the shared bank was not designed to work with it if not specifically exclude it.

So I wouldn't exactly hold my breath on them ever fixing the inventory UI. We've been asking for expanded character dolls, equipment sets, a unified inventory system for...what..9 years now?

But don't you worry, they have tons of linear, boring, overtuned, under-rewarded, story-less dungeons lined up for us to pay 5 dollars a pop for.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ddo
    Building a Better DDO

Quote Originally Posted by zehnvhex View Post
    They've stated it's pretty much never going to happen. It would require a complete UI rework and they simply don't have to expertise/time to do so. I don't think they even have a guy who does that sort of work. Would explain why every time they do something that requires a new UI element they have to outsource it or re-purpose an existing thing.

I imagine that's how we ended up with the hilarity that was the TR inventory overflow bug on test last time around. For those that didn't know when you TR'd your inventory/bank would dump into your characters inventory instead of your TR cache, often causing severe item overflow. Since you can't leave the TR area without accepting the quest reward and you can't accept the quest reward without an open inventory slot this meant you'd have to delete items until you had an open inventory slot.

I'm guessing when they copy/pasted the shared bank code to replace the current bank code they couldn't figure out how to tie the TR cache to the shared bank code. The TR cache is a hack to begin with and the shared bank was not designed to work with it if not specifically exclude it.

So I wouldn't exactly hold my breath on them ever fixing the inventory UI. We've been asking for expanded character dolls, equipment sets, a unified inventory system for...what..9 years now?

But don't you worry, they have tons of linear, boring, overtuned, under-rewarded, story-less dungeons lined up for us to pay 5 dollars a pop for.

Will people keep buying.
    People defend this sort of lifeless uninspired quests that are dull and ugly and copy paste with teleports from the hall of heroes and no slayer area.

So they keep churning these along.

A non-UI DEV can usually do less than a full sprint worth of investigation and research on one story and then go straight to implementation with a new UI shortly thereafter. The QA time that needs to be allocated for this is usually larger than the DEV time.

Most of the first ballot hall of fame excuses offered on the forums by "armchair developers" who dont work for the company for not fixing the system are incorrect. The most likely reason is people hours, and middle management prioritizing away from back burner tasks in order to hit deadlines with a "ship-able product".
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013 (when concurrency was ~4x what it is today)

Community Member

This would be trivial with a decent API, and you could have whatever skin you wanted, albeit in a browser window. Just sayin'. :-P

Default Would definitely be nice, but...

I don't have citation available, but I'm pretty sure that improved Invenetory Management is slated for the same Update as the new Scalable UI and Hireling/Pet/Mob AI overhaul.
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.
    Actual play experience is worth infinitely more than theorycrafting...

2015 DDO Players Council
    The Legendary Fighter God

Any Dev wanna chime in?
    Check out my Twitch Channel
    Argonnessen's DEGENERATE MATTER

Quote Originally Posted by Cetus View Post

I have often thought a TR cache locker box like the iconics get at level 15 would be a nice way to fix the tr cache issues when opening your bank. Locker would not open thus reducing the server load each time someone opens their bank.

A search tab would be nice in the locker so we could look thru the items within the locker. Perhaps the only items allowed to be placed in the locker would be BTC and all other items would need to be placed in the shared bank before TR could be done. A maximum locker size would need to be set I dont really see the need for 280+ BTC items in game any longer if ever.

A single click empty would also be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    I don't have citation available, but I'm pretty sure that improved Inventory Management is slated for the same Update as the new Scalable UI and Hireling/Pet/Mob AI overhaul.
    Is this longhand for: never?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by Amundir View Post
    My words are great. Even out of context.

Couple things I would like to see...

1. DDO store option to purchase a storage vault.. setup like a personal auction house...an AH interface for my storage vault goodies.
    gives all the search sort filter options capable of holding every item I own across 31 account toons with full purchased bank, inventory, shared bank storage space along with the junk l I have stored on 3 alt accounts and 3 alt guldships, bag deposit storage box, multiple colossal, gargantuan, Huge, Extra Large, Large bags, 16TR caches(yeah even my packmules have TR caches), transitional mail, etc...
    .. so lets start with 1,000 unique items with DDO Store expansions to add more blocks to infinitum.
    Storage with 100k stack sizes of everything and capable of moving smaller selectable quantities instead of entire stacks.
    Option to empty bags into it, or put bag with the enclosed items into it.

..would be nice to add the ASAH interface to move around the BTCoE items between my toons without having to risk the public ASAH while swapping toons .. can still charge the AS fee.. of course...
    although.. a upgrade option to make these BTCoE items BTA would be much appreciated...

2. Sentient Weapons and Gear.. (and here we thought the creators of Forged had stopped the secret backroom experiments..)
    ..Something like 100k remnants to purchase base item... these guys need large quantities of remnants for something else they are working on...

Sentient stuff that consumes named items to absorb their unique traits to unlock enhancement levelling trees for the items...
    Sentient weapons are fussy.. they wont consume just anything..
    Various consumed named items at heroic, epic and legendary levels unlock tiered tree paths.
    DDO store additional unique enhancement tree and points..
    Sentient items level as you do and retain consumed traits through TR's
    Sentient items don't repair normally, they consume Cannith Essences like a zombie after brains.

Would give motivation for players to sacrifice away accumulated named items, and continue to farm and grind all the content the game has to offer to get more goodies to feed into the sentient items...
    Argo: Degenerate Matter - 200
    Jotmon (HC 30/42 , RC 36/39 , IC 12/21 , EC 29/48 , RP 95/158)
    Jotlock (HC 38/42 , RC 0/39 , IC 15/21 , EC 36/48 , RP 36/158..favor toon)
    Whatthetruck (HC 38/42 , RC 35/39 , IC 15/21 , EC 30/48 , RP 88/158)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post
    Sentient Weapons and Gear.. (and here we thought the creators of Forged had stopped the secret backroom experiments..)
    ..Something like 100k remnants to purchase base item... these guys need large quantities of remnants for something else they are working on...

Sentient stuff that consumes named items to absorb their unique traits to unlock enhancement levelling trees for the items...
    Sentient weapons are fussy.. they wont consume just anything..
    Various consumed named items at heroic, epic and legendary levels unlock tiered tree paths.
    DDO store additional unique enhancement tree and points..
    Sentient items level as you do and retain consumed traits through TR's
    Sentient items don't repair normally, they consume Cannith Essences like a zombie after brains.

Would give motivation for players to sacrifice away accumulated named items, and continue to farm and grind all the content the game has to offer to get more goodies to feed into the sentient items...
    Sounds okay except for the cost. 100k remnants just to get access for the named item sink seems to me would make for a poor sink. Though offering a remnant/AS/named item/etc. trade in option for something else that can be traded for the items might work at a 100k remnant equivalent price.

Say 100k "sentient shards" that remnants can be traded for at 1:1, named items at MLx10, AS at whatever the devs feel is most advantages to keeping the lights on, etc.. That opens up multiple farms as well as helps pay for the development of the system. While getting the system into place and eating up those named items and burning those Cannith essences to repair.