Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default How angry would you be if the game closed?

The average lifespan of a game under the publisher Daybreak Games or previously known as Sony Entertainment Online is...

8 years and 8 days with a standard deviation of... about 4 years and 7 months
    7 of the 21 games sampled are still open.*

The oldest game was Everquest. 17 years,11 months,7 days
    The shortest game was Bullet Run. 6months,1day
    A game closest to the "average lifespan" was Star Wars galaxies. 9 years,5 months,5 days

Obviously games exist or stop existing based on financial investment by parent holders. City of Heroes (not associated with Daybreak) was closed even though it was profitable, and some games keep going even though they might be doing poorly. Was having coffee this morning and listening to a TotalBiscuit podcast. Got me to thinking. I would be super dissapointed if DDO closed, but it happens with MMOs, and we are well past the average. Here's to hoping we stay open, profitable, and fun. 11 years,1 month, and 26 days is a long run.

10 games were sampled randomly from Windows PC MMO releases 7 years before DDO was released.
    10 games were sampled from after DDO was released, with a 7 year window to try to get ahold of time variable better.
    Everquest Next/Landmark were not included.
    Without new players DDO will go the way of the dodo.
    r10 @ 30 stuff, Sorc Build Guide, Ghallanda

Sovereign Vorpal Halfling of Supreme Good scipiojedi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-u-r-eye View Post
    The average lifespan of a game under the publisher Daybreak Games or previously known as Sony Entertainment Online is...

8 years and 8 days with a standard deviation of... about 4 years and 7 months
    7 of the 21 games sampled are still open.*

The oldest game was Everquest. 17 years,11 months,7 days
    The shortest game was Bullet Run. 6months,1day
    A game closest to the "average lifespan" was Star Wars galaxies. 9 years,5 months,5 days

Obviously games exist or stop existing based on financial investment by parent holders. City of Heroes (not associated with Daybreak) was closed even though it was profitable, and some games keep going even though they might be doing poorly. Was having coffee this morning and listening to a TotalBiscuit podcast. Got me to thinking. I would be super dissapointed if DDO closed, but it happens with MMOs, and we are well past the average. Here's to hoping we stay open, profitable, and fun. 11 years,1 month, and 26 days is a long run.

10 games were sampled randomly from Windows PC MMO releases 7 years before DDO was released.
    10 games were sampled from after DDO was released, with a 7 year window to try to get ahold of time variable better.
    Everquest Next/Landmark were not included.
    I would have very bad withdrawals in about two months that would tempt me to break into SSG and abscond with the files just so I could play it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Working for free makes it very difficult to spend money on swords.
    https://www.twitch.tv/romanragnorak/
    YouTube Channel
    -My main is Jobus on Khyber but I do play my alts regularly -

I would be disappointed, not angry. I would simply move on to something else if I had no choice.
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    BoloGrubb / DJGrubb / Gijo
    Proud member of the HighLords of Malkier

Relieved, maybe?
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight Templar of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist); Parked Toons: Katwoemyn (10), Saelegion (4), Alitirala (>17), Naerfelka (>21)
    wounded and burnt from many mistakes and still stumbling!

Community Member changelingamuck's Avatar

Before collectible farming became a normal part of crafting, I would've said that I'd be quite upset.

Now, I would say that it's quite upsetting, but at least I'll never spend another chunk of another day entering and exiting quests over-and-over in order to click on collectible nodes.

If SSG wants to shut down DDO.
    this is what players should do buy DDO.
    offer for a year subscriptions stocks in ddo.
    once a year if the game turns a profit then give the share holders ei the player base a check.
    there would be a lot of legal issues to dissolve.
    i am not sure if its ever been done in the mmo world.
    I believe it would rock the headlines and with the right support become a profitable enterprise.
    mojo

I'd be disappointment, saddened, and I'd miss it quite a bit... but I can't say I'd be angry.
    Exit, pursued by a bear. ~ William Shakespeare (stage direction from The Winter's Tale)

Community Member

with all the negativity that goes on in these forums and within the game it wouldnt bother me at all if they shut down theres plenty of other things out there to take its place.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

After all the changes to make the game what it is today not a bit

Beware the Sleepeater

Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    Relieved, maybe?
    This ^

Because it would take quitting the game out of my own hands and there'd be no coming back - I certainly wouldn't ever start another MMO.

The good news is the chance of that happening is about 0. If the greater Boston area was somehow launched into space at high speeds, DDO would probably find a way to keep going.

At this point, DDO itself is alive and self-aware, and we need a way to fight it when it somehow gets a hold of the Nuclear Launch Codes.
    Real human, ddo fanboy of the highest order.

Community Member Pyyro_del_Drago's Avatar

I'd be devastated.... I just got back!!
    CANNITH player. Recently returned to the game after 2 years, proudly back with Skunkworks my old crew. Finally hit completionist after 6 years on Pyrau!! Have 10 other epic characters across all play styles, some TRs.

It still looks like I will be leaving no later than June, so I've already been disappointed.
    #MakeDDOGreatAgain

You are the one choosing not to play alts.

Casual player now investing way less than I used to into the game, playing 1-3 months at a time and still want nothing to do with Reaper. #improvepuggrouping#alldifficultiesmatter

Community Member

I'd think it sucked, but would move on. Maybe try to get back into the elder scrolls games. Never beat Oblivion and I bet it would look crazy on my new monitor. Or maybe I'd try to play NWO again. But seeing as how my roomy probably wouldn't I don't think I'd last long. ...maybe play more borderlands too

Edit: On the plus side the boards would be dead too so, one less place for me to find concentrated rage. Always a plus.

All good things come to an end.

I'd probaby not spend 10+ years on an MMO again but for some reason this game keeps me entertained year after year, fot after fot. Some of it is the people.

DDO seems to be going semi strong or it wouldn't be it's own stand alone company and not in maintenance mode yet.
    Member of "Guild of the Black Dragons" & "Swords of the Light" on Sarlona. Proud "Last" member of Caffeine - we aint stragicially savy.
    Kilthar-Tharr-Delkanthalus-Carissa-Mirasina-Ktara-Imara-Thistle-Tharissa-Robothar-Minithar-Miriella-Tharnessa-Tharisa

I'd miss it sure but I would move on to my Steam library which has about 150 games in it, most of which have never been played.

Stoner81.

Default Doom and Gloom

Why do people have to spread negative thoughts like this. SSG's have just started up and I would take it that they have faith in the game so why can't you? To that end I think the OP's question is obsolete.

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    It still looks like I will be leaving no later than June, so I've already been disappointed.
    can i have your stuff
    Member of "Guild of the Black Dragons" & "Swords of the Light" on Sarlona. Proud "Last" member of Caffeine - we aint stragicially savy.
    Kilthar-Tharr-Delkanthalus-Carissa-Mirasina-Ktara-Imara-Thistle-Tharissa-Robothar-Minithar-Miriella-Tharnessa-Tharisa

MMO's are out of fashion currently - certainly from western developers. So the few that are left may linger on longer than would be expected. The last one I played that was fairly new = TES Online, brought nothing new to the table and I was bored pretty quickly.

I would be happy if it was closed in favour of DDO2. It really needs a kickstarter to get that off the ground

I'd be pretty unhappy if it closed entirely. It's a good game and it would be a shame to lose it but i would move on I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Amundir View Post
    I'd think it sucked, but would move on. Maybe try to get back into the elder scrolls games. Never beat Oblivion and I bet it would look crazy on my new monitor. Or maybe I'd try to play NWO again. But seeing as how my roomy probably wouldn't I don't think I'd last long. ...maybe play more borderlands too

Edit: On the plus side the boards would be dead too so, one less place for me to find concentrated rage. Always a plus.
    Oblivion is amazing with all the mods and graphical overhauls.
    This guy is my favorite.
    Super nerd-dork but clearest explanations.

Last edited by Sam-u-r-eye; 03-24-2017 at 12:17 PM.
    Without new players DDO will go the way of the dodo.
    r10 @ 30 stuff, Sorc Build Guide, Ghallanda

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast