Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What motivates you to play DDO?

For me, it's all about exploring dungeons, reading the quest lines and being the hero of my story for about an hour or two every other day. ( I don't get to play DDO everyday ) DDO is my quick fix for my DnD itch. This game is like a nostalgic trip to the days where I used to play PnP ADnD with a group of highschool friends. DDO still catches my imagination every now and then.

How about you? What makes you play DDO?

At this point, nothing.

What kept me going in the past was hope that eh game would get better.

Quote Originally Posted by Krewl View Post
    For me, it's all about exploring dungeons, reading the quest lines and being the hero of my story for about an hour or two every other day. ( I don't get to play DDO everyday ) DDO is my quick fix for my DnD itch. This game is like a nostalgic trip to the days where I used to play PnP ADnD with a group of highschool friends. DDO still catches my imagination every now and then.

How about you? What makes you play DDO?
    lol you gonna rip off your clothes too? I'm Robbie Weir**** and this is me!!!
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Community Member

Get my loved build nerfed every 3 months.

Default A lot of things

Among them are the character building system, the TR train that allows your characters to continually evolve, some of the storylines, Yaulthoon's dialog and the art.

In spite of the naysayers there is still a lot to love, do and explore in the game. There are still some breathtaking moments that awaken my sense of wonder. Those moments still outweigh the things I don't like.

In agreement with the naysayers there are some horrible design choices we live with too - the current developers are sometimes standing on the shoulders of giants and sometimes standing on the shoulders of Taken.

Community Member

Friends list.
    Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    There is no shortage of content in this game for the weakest 5% of players.

For most content, they have three difficulties designed solely for them, Casual, Normal and Hard.

I feel like the vibe I am getting here is so full of positivity and general love for everything DDO. Keep it up guys!!!

What makes you play DDO?
    I, like you, like many who have left, and those that come and leave right away, came here to play DnD.

Rather than take stock of the situation and realize that there is a population of 10s of millions looking for that unique game experience and create a niche where there is no competition, someone decided to attempt to appeal to the video gamer population where there was already a pile of competition and go head to head with a company that already saturated that segment of the market.

Its something like a new fast food place that makes fried chicken decided to try to compete with McDonalds for burger sales and specifically targeted those wanting to purchase burgers then being surprised that the customers said that their chicken was a terrible burger and then continually trying to make the fried chicken taste like a better burger.

Most of the complaints on this forum are about things that DnD players wouldnt be whining about. Aged graphics style, artwork, end game, "balance" (which none of the self appointed experts understand), "soloability", and whole bunch of other supposedly serious issues wouldnt even be part of the discussion.

It doesnt make a difference how good your product is if you insist on offering it to the wrong potential customers.

Oh, ya, anyway, to answer your question more directly, its because Im an adult with a real life who lives in BFE and its the only option I have to try to scratch that DnD itch.

Good question. I have the packs and it's fun for a while every few update.

Primarily, I enjoy running with the people I group with regularly, both in my guild and those out of it.

I also enjoy dungeon crawlers, starting back with the original Bard's Tale: Tales of the Unknown (1986 IIRC) and Phantasie (1985 I think). DDO is, at it's heart, a 3D 3rd person dungeon crawler. It's the only game of this style I've found, at least of any quality.
    Anyone who disagrees is a Terrorist...

Cthulhu 2020 Never settle for the lesser evil...

DDO is still the only online game that tries to be like DnD and for that alone I still play it on my free time.

Community Member

Tring

CERTAINLY NOT THE 11th Anniversary event.

Fun to play, interesting builds to make, & the best folks to interact with I've run across in the digital time-wasting space.
    Exit, pursued by a bear. ~ William Shakespeare (stage direction from The Winter's Tale)

Stealthing as an assassin or sniper and dungeon crawling. Preferably solo or duo.
    Sometimes I pull one out just to watch it die over and over. That's how much I hate hires.

This game is like a nostalgic trip to the days where I used to play PnP ADnD with a group of highschool friends.
    This is what draws me in, though for me it was middle school in the early 80s.

I still have my books, though I'm not much of a photographer:

Last edited by EllisDee37; 04-15-2018 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Corrected postimg link from .org to .cc

The unknown calls to my soul with sultry whispers of takes untold.
    She wears a cloak of mystery, dances just outside my piercing gaze, lures me along paths both light and dark.
    When I falter she teases me with pain and woe. When I triumph she lavishes me with praise and riches.
    I cannot help but chase her. I lunge for her with the speed of a white tundra wolf. I stalk her with the cunning of a black jungle cat.
    All my life I pursue her. She dances in my arms for the hour then twirls away, out of reach, hinting always at our next liaison.
    I will never let her go. She is my lover. My torturer. My confidant. My deceiver. My regret. My fondest memories.
    I call her adventure.

Been playing D&D since basic way back when I was 8 years old. Was dungeon master for many PnP campaigns. Those who partook in my adventures proclaimed me the best DM they ever had, with stories that had them hooked on endless cliff hangers of suspense and wonder. They would not let me stop, they bribed me, paid me, offered food, beer, anything to get me to DM onward for another day or two. Sometimes I felt like a prisoner of my own ability, but the campaigns were cliff hangers for me too, since I never knew if they where going to fall for some trap, get themselves killed, screw up big time, or what. Some campaigns ended violently for everyone :P ("Lets charge down the crypt that has a stair way 20 floors deep and platforms on each floor passing through massive chambers..."... they made it 12 floors deep before realizing their escape was now blocked by 12 mobs amassed into an army of dead... they were never seen again...).

My first adventure was with an evil dictator DM. I was 8 years old. He wanted to get rid of me so he said a giant rock fell from the sky and smashed me for 1000 hps. I felt so cheated! Bastard!!!

Later on I got my own books, and loved to read em, and started making my own dungeons. 8 years later some of the most awesome adventures took place... been a while since PnP, but I got 3.5 edition, which I do find to be awesome and very well done.

So why DDO? I like the game. Have since I was a young kid. I like making characters, breathing life into them, role playing and trying to get into the minds of things I am not... as DM I have to determine what is going on inside the Mind Flayer's evil mind and control its actions. I am the slime, or the Dragon, or the Lich. I have to play NPCs, even some who assist the party at times on certain quests. This process in itself I found to expand my perspective a lot, helping me to understand things I would otherwise find alien. My brain has a very natural tendency to look for patterns in an attempt to make sense of reality, and looking at the patterns of characters, is similar to play fighting to learn more about fighting.

Oh, and making new monsters... SO much fun! I made 3 books worth, stats and all. Some nasty stuff like zombies that vomit flesh eating maggots with diseases... a Dragon that would rip into two parts because it had not bottom... it was like the top of two dragons fused, so if it flipped around it looked the same either way... a real nasty creature that would tear its body into two half dragons with guts hanging out and all... on and on with ideas and new monsters and new kinds of battles... new threats, new uprisings, so on and so forth.. this is a game that captures the imagination of many and gives it something to chew on.

Wow, these days... I could really breath life into a villian after seeing so much in time and in this world. But times are different, and PnP isnt so easy to manage now, DDO is much easier. So I got into making toons there, this time I didn't have to fill every role outside player character, instead I was filling player character roles, so I got into making lots of different toons. I would try to play em differently, even attempt to see reality in terms of survival different... some sneaks, some cowards, some brave, some reckless, some cautious, etc. Loads of FUN doing that.

Now I am focusing on my Main toon mostly, because I do enjoy beating up the greatest challenges possible, that itself is a lot of fun. My friends who used to PnP for days and days all horded and hunted magic, power, and any means to get ahead. They were quick to pick up new gear and adapt to it.. and always looking for more options. I got to figuring if my Main doesnt keep up with top challenge, then top challenge option for me is unmet. The idea of the challenge is to beat it, and then make beating it easier and easier until its a walk. Why else would I TR my Main so many times, if only to beat 1 extra hp of damage into the skull of some idiot ogre or stinky troll that wants to eat me!!! I don't just want to knock that mofo out, I want to knock his head off to the moon.... whack him for thousands of hps of damage, make it clear.... he tried to eat the wrong guy!!!

I think somewhere in my reply lays the answer to your question.
    Last edited by Wonedream; 02-25-2017 at 03:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gnarledmaw View Post
    I, like you, like many who have left, and those that come and leave right away, came here to play DnD.

Rather than take stock of the situation and realize that there is a population of 10s of millions looking for that unique game experience and create a niche where there is no competition, someone decided to attempt to appeal to the video gamer population where there was already a pile of competition and go head to head with a company that already saturated that segment of the market.

Its something like a new fast food place that makes fried chicken decided to try to compete with McDonalds for burger sales and specifically targeted those wanting to purchase burgers then being surprised that the customers said that their chicken was a terrible burger and then continually trying to make the fried chicken taste like a better burger.

Most of the complaints on this forum are about things that DnD players wouldnt be whining about. Aged graphics style, artwork, end game, "balance" (which none of the self appointed experts understand), "soloability", and whole bunch of other supposedly serious issues wouldnt even be part of the discussion.

It doesnt make a difference how good your product is if you insist on offering it to the wrong potential customers.

Oh, ya, anyway, to answer your question more directly, its because Im an adult with a real life who lives in BFE and its the only option I have to try to scratch that DnD itch.
    This is why I Chose to invest into the game and started playing it.. as time as passed the game has moved further and further away from that. Getting to play my DnD wizard in an MMO enviroment was what got me to invest so much time and money into the game. But since in my opinion the game has moved SO FAR away from it's DnD core the only thing that keeps me playing is the fact that I am already so invested in it.. time and money wise.

It's sad but true. It really doesn't scratch the DnD itch for me anymore.. but i'm so invested and there are no real alternatives out there for what I want in an MMO i still log in to play from time to time rather than starting over from scratch in some other MMO that is likely to even less scratch the itch. I did grab up FFXIV for awhile but the truth is when I quit FFXI i told myself I wouldn't maintain a monthly subscription for any MMo ever again. DDo I can hop in and out without worrying about a monthly fee since I made the investment to obtain most content via premium. It's good enough to scratch my MMo itch on occasion without a monthly fee. But it's Moved far enough away from everything I want in an MMO to not keep me playing as much as I could/should/have MMOS in the past.

All that being said.. when I reach what people term "end game" in an MMO is when I move on.. the never ending character progression with TRing, ETRing and now reaper tree etc is the biggest reason other than already being heavily invested that I still play. Had i reached a point in the game where there's nothing left to do but repeat the same raids over and over for gear I would have stopped playing long ago.
    Last edited by caberonia; 02-25-2017 at 04:41 AM.
    Sarlona- Fistalis, Caberonia, Kerlik, Mashbirs, Molleck, Burrthistle, Enlitened, Rotheril, Maginos, Urrock, Talathis- Scholars of Aureon

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post

photo sharing sites
    Those were the same books we were using back in highschool. Brought back some good memories. Thanks for posting those pics.

Default nice job

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post

photo sharing sites
    So cool to see those covers again!

Although the last couple are not so familiar the others are, this would be the reasons I play! It's not the same exactly but I don't think we can recreate that feeling of playing with friends and exploring places that we invented (we pretty much designed our own dungeons and took turns DM'ing).
    G-land
    Main characters, Tymout, Tymkul, Tymbom, Tymantha etc...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast