Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Mentoring (Make Eberron Great Again)

tl;dr: Mentoring is a system that allows you to de-level so you can play with people below your level range or higher levels can play with you. It's about as awesome as this bean salad I just made.

The Problem...

My brother is level 7. My wife is level 13. My friend just picked up the game and is level 2. I have guildmates of every level range who have spots in their groups. We have people posting to our Reddit sub looking for people to play with.

Great! Plenty of people to play with! Only one problem...I'm too high level.

Between power level penalties, bravery bonus, the epic divide and now reaper mode lockouts, we've seen more and more that the player base is being divided into small compartmentalized divisions. If you aren't within 1 or 2 levels of each other, you might as well not bother.

Sure I could roll an iconic and play with my wife, but then my brother can't play with us. We could all roll new characters together and play together, but if my brother and my friend are on, we'll outlevel my wife and then she has to not play her main until we get to that level or level up while we're not around on her own and...

Ugh. It's just messy.

What I'm proposing is so audacious, so monumental, so mind-blowing that I hope you're sitting down when you read this.

I propose we do something that makes it easier for people to group.

Catch your breath? I know, wild huh?

I would love if DDO's next big mechanics change (Ravenloft hint hint) would be the implementation of the Mentoring system. You can call it whatever you want. Dreaming Past Lives? There you go.

How it works

When you group with someone and attempt to enter a dungeon, you can select "mentor" from the entrance UI. The game will adjust your character level to match that of the lowest level person in your group.

I'm not sure how good SSG's programmers are and how bad the code is at this point so I'm going to offer multiple suggestions on how that de-leveling could work.

1 - Most ideal:

The game now takes a 'snapshot' of your character, what it is wearing and your hotkey layout whenever you level up. When you mentor down to any given level, it loads that snapshot and away you go. Your equipment is special 'phantom' versions of whatever items you were wearing when you leveled up. If you unequip them they vanish.

Sometimes you don't have gear on when you level up (Iconic, LTR, ETR, etc...). So you'll also get a "Cloak of the Mentor" that can go in the cosmetic slot and covers a wide spread of stats/abilities but sub-par for that level. IE: A level 20 phantom cloak might have potency-60, all stats-6, deadly-5, spell crit-5, resistance-4, parry-2, elemental resist-15, etc... Just enough so that you aren't totally gimp.

2 - Somewhat ideal:

If the game can't remember what you picked at what points, the game tries to scale you down. If possible it will disable feats/enhancements/destinies you shouldn't have access to at that specific level. You lose access to spells/abilities you wouldn't have had access to at that character level, but might keep them if you had gotten them later. For example, let's say you do an 12 fighter/8 wizard build. You mentor down to level 8. Originally you were 5 fighter/3 wizard at that point and didn't have displacement as a spell. However, your mentor level is 8 and a level 8 wizard would have had access to the spell so you get to keep it.

You get to keep wearing the items/weapons you have access to but all your stats are scaled down to what the maximum should have been at that level. A debuff is applied to you to reduce your HP, damage, defenses, etc...to appropriate levels. This would require some fudging but it would be number dials they can simply adjust as necessary.

3 - Meh ideal:

If that's not possible, then you simply take control of one of various pre-designed 'super-hirelings.' SSG can design a couple dozen builds based off the more popular builds posted to the forums, give it a set of gear at various level ranges and call it a day. I imagine people would rather play the character they built, but if the game can't remember what you picked or if scaling is too difficult, this would be an okay third option. Anything so I can play with my friends worry-free.

Is that it?

A few other things to note. One is that the mentoring player would receive a slight experience penalty of say...40% of base quest experience and 30% less bonus objective xp. You would still get first run and BB bonuses if they would have otherwise applied. You're doing this mostly to play with friends and help them catch up so in exchange for your 50% exp penalty, the lowest member of the group gets a 20% exp bonus on quests and bonus objectives.

Level capped players would receive 1 heart seed for completing a quest as a mentor in addition to normal quest bonuses. Non-capped epic level players would receive 2/4/7 N/H/E Commendations of Valor. You could feasibly get 3 heart seeds for completing a quest (1 auto-granted, 2 from selection list if the quest is epic/legendary).

In the case of multiple party members, the highest level player gets the exp penalty, the lowest level player gets the exp bonus. In the case of multiple players being the same level, if they are the highest/lowest, the all get the penalty/bonus. For example:

A party of

All group together. The 28's, 22 and 14 mentor down to level 10. The 28's both get a 40% exp penalty. The 10's both get a 20% exp bonus. The 22 and 14 get normal exp. This is not a 1 to 1 relationship. You could have 1 28 getting the 40% penalty and five level 10's all getting +20% exp.

Monetization

Because Steelstar needs to eat, they gotta charge for this sort of thing. However, we don't want to put playing with friends behind a pay wall. So what can players buy?

- Tome of Mentor xp/Greater Tome of Mentor xp: Like the heroic/epic tomes, these increase the amount of xp you get while mentoring, dropping the penalty from 40% to 30/20% penalties. Permanent effect.

- Scroll of Self-mentoring: If a player for whatever reason wants to farm an older quest without having to TR to get the advantages of doing it or rolling an alt, they can use a purchase a scroll that for 3/6/12 hours will allow them to select the 'mentor' option in the enter dungeon UI. If done so, they are treated as if they were grouping with someone at the highest BB level allowed for that quest. Pauses when not mentoring.

- Mentor raid timer reset: For 3 hours, you are no longer affected by raid timers. However, you are unable to loot items, items cannot be given to you, you do not get completion increments. You still get experience. You do not get a raid timer cooldown when you finish. (this would be cheaper then a normal raid timer reset, say, 30 tp vs. 150 tp). Pauses when not mentoring.

- Basic/Advanced/Expert Mentoring: This one is iffy. I'd rather not but if priced relatively cheaply I'd go for it (100/200tp to unlock for example). Perhaps at first for free you can only mentor up to 10 levels below you. You can purchase an advanced mentoring manual that allows you to do up to 20 levels. Expert allows any level range. VIP's are always treated as expert mentors.

- Share the knowledge elixir: For 3/6 hours, a mentor receives a 20% stacking exp penalty but any students get an additional 20% exp bonus. Pauses when not mentoring. (in above example if the level 22 used the potions the 28's would have a 40% exp penalty, the 22 would have a 20% (form potion) penalty, the 14 would still get normal exp, the 10's would get 40% exp bonus). If one of the 28's used it, one would have a 60% penalty and the other a 40% penalty.

- Guest passses: These already exist but mentoring would increase the demand for these pretty significantly.

In Conclusion

I turely belive that this would help revitalize DDO. Right now there are 24 LFM's up on Sarlona. But I already did my dailies and I'm ransacked on slavers. So what can I do? I would love to join that Tomb of the Crimson Heart group but I don't feel like rolling an alt just for one quest...

It would offer significant amounts of variety at all levels of play, allow people to group up and would actively encourage people to play with lower level players.

The only con I see is you could argue that some people will just roll up a level 30 on a bot account to give themselves a perma-20% exp boost but...so what? This isn't a competitive PvP game so that doesn't hurt me at all, nor does it cheapen my experience of the game. It just puts more money in SSG's pocket so they can develop more content for me so I am okay with this.

Good luck, have fun.
    Last edited by zehnvhex; 01-26-2017 at 02:52 PM.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ddo
    Building a Better DDO

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by zehnvhex View Post
    tl;dr: Mentoring is a system that allows you to de-level so you can play with people below your level range or higher levels can play with you.
    I like the idea of it. There are no doubt a host of considerations and concerns that would need to be worked through, not to mention the technical & other resources to make it work.
    "So maybe it's about time we all get a reality check and realize that if you raid, run epics, and have capped toons and worry about ED's TR's and all that jazz, you are a small part of the population of this game, a very small part in fact." -- Ungood

Instead of using the scaling tech to scale the mobs, use it to scale the PCs. Modern MMOs are doing this, and it greatly increases group potential.
    Historically: If every melee nerf after each melee class revamp was reverted back to its pre-nerf version, which melee build(s) are OP in the current meta?

Community Member SpartanKiller13's Avatar

I would love this. Would make my life a lot easier, especially when I get a new guildy at level 2 who doesn't know what kiting means. Or what hirelings are.

Perhaps instead of XP, rewards are in the form of something else, like collectibles obtained during quest are doubled or Mentoring points (used exclusively for cosmetics) or remnants (because why not). 40% off xp on a level 4 quest is nothing to a level 15, let alone a level 25.

Although frankly I'd be fairly happy with this even with near-zero gains, it would allow a lot more party play which would be fantastic.

I would expect to see people using this to powerlevel; get a lvl 30 alt, park at entrance, run as 5-man with 20% bonus. But I still don't mind, because that still encourages 5-man groups.
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorc. You gives up some of the damage and self sustain for the ability to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    It's DDO. There are probably 6 different types of Evil damage.

Quote Originally Posted by TBot1234 View Post
    I like the idea of it. There are no doubt a host of considerations and concerns that would need to be worked through, not to mention the technical & other resources to make it work.
    That's the biggun. I have no clue how much of a tangled mess their back end systems are. I mean they can't even get Commendations of Valor to automatically go into your ingredients bag it's so broken.

If it's feasible though, especially with reaper mode being level locked, the two systems would go so hand in hand. Getting 12 people who are all level 24 to do Reaper CiTW will be nigh impossible, the DDO population just doesn't exist in that capacity. However, getting a bunch of level 27~30's to try it and they mentor down to 24 is something I could actually see happening.
    Building a Better DDO

DDO does have a system that reduces your level... but I'm pretty sure running around with 10 permanent negative levels all the quest isn't exactly balanced for a lot of reasons (a level 30 character with 29 negative levels is a lot stronger then a level 1 character).

I believe that DDO does know what order you picked your levels (have to pick the same order during LR, so the information is there) and also knows what order you picked your feats? (Not as sure of this one, haven't respec'd a feat in a while)

If mentoring was an option where you drop down to a level you choose, it de-levels all your class and feat levels since then, disables all spells of a higher caster level then you can now cast, un-equips all gear you are no longer a level to wear and resets your enhancements, then it would effectively put you into a mentor mode with just a little "wait up guys, need to put on my level 8 gearset and assign AP". However, this would be something you would want to do once total, not once per quest.

Snapshot would be a great solution, but difficult to implement properly. Certainly you wouldn't be able to unequip/trade/bank any of that gear or else mentoring would quickly become the fastest way to farm slavers (or anything else). And when would it take the snapshot? Just before you level? Hopefully you took level 14 wearing your best gear-set, and not holding a res/teleport scroll and definitely not standing naked in limbo after an ETR.

"Scaling down" might be a possiblity, as most new gear now has stats that are of an appropriate power level for their level, if you're wearing level 30 gloves of Dex +15, Heal Amp +61 and Insightful Dex +7, then clicking on "mentor mode" for level 15 would drop that to +8, +30 and +3 respectively. While mentoring below level 10 would completely remove the insightful stats. A big problem with this is named items or very old random loot that don't follow this structured scaling mechanic. Another big problem is still having access to all your feats/abilities of a high level class (if you can still cast ruin for 500 damage, it might ruin some content at low levels). Still, I think these problems could be worked out.

I do not think there should be any XP bonus associated with mentoring, that would just encourage dual-boxing IMO. The bonus XP from mentoring is having someone who knows what they're doing in the quest making it easier/faster for everyone.

As for monetization:

- Tome of Mentor xp - seems like a good idea

- Scroll of Self-mentoring - while I think that mentoring should persist outside of quests, maybe this would allow it to happen outside of a party and/or to any level range instead of the same level as a party member.

- Mentor raid timer reset - Sounds like a good idea for teaching raids.

- Basic/Advanced/Expert Mentoring - I'm not sold on this idea. Chances are many people who would want to mentor are at level 30 and wanting to mentor people below level 20, making this pay-to-do might significantly detract from the attractiveness of this system.

- Share the knowledge elixir - As I mentioned, I don't think there should be an XP bonus associated with mentoring. Maybe it wouldn't be as easily abused with a store bought item, or maybe this would be a big money maker. Who knows.

- Guest passses - Already exist
    Selvera: Half elf Bard 14/Barb 2/Fighter 2; Just having a bit of swash fun with a heroic life.
    Jen: Half Elf Fvs 20/Epic 10; Healer Archer with a more supportive build then usual
    Mayve: Tiefling Sorc 16; Just a pastlife for an alt

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanKiller13 View Post
    I would love this.
    The exp thing is mostly a psychological element. You want to feel like you're getting ~something~. Helping someone go from 1 to 20 would get maybe 1 or 2 epic levels. The idea is mostly to help them get caught up with you.

Just being automagically put in the BB range will net you tons of remnants as is. The reward is being able to play with all your friends at the same time without having to worry about what level anyone is at. Some neat cosmetic stuff would be fun. A professors jacket complete with elbow patches~!

And yeah. Some people might pike a mentor for the 20% xp but so what? Why trash an overwhelmingly good thing because a small subset of the population would...get put on even footing?

What I foresee are tons more LFM's going up because people want that sweet, sweet mentor bonus as well. "HE Gianthold, want mentor, free hugs!"
    Building a Better DDO

Quote Originally Posted by Selvera View Post
    DDO does have a system that reduces your level
    It's hard to suggest how a system should work when you aren't familiar with the tech you're suggesting it should be worked on. I mean for all I know snapshotting would be stupid easy and something they could bang out in a day.

The idea behind snapshotting would be to make it easy/quick to do. If it takes 10 minutes to re-arrange all your stuff then it becomes a burden few people want to deal with. I edited the post to add that you'd also get a phantom 'cosmetic' cloak that covers all your basic stats so that if you weren't wearing anything or had the wrong stuff equipped you'd be covered. Gimped, but covered. You can also swap in old weapons/items in case yeah, you might have had the wrong stuff equipped or you get some new twink item you want to use when mentoring.

Could even be a potentially new store bought item too. Mentor down in a quest, equip your best stuff, use the 'stone of snapshotting' and it updates your snapshot for that level. Make them cheap enough (20 tp?) and people would use them. I could see people building 'super twinks' for various levels that way.
    Last edited by zehnvhex; 01-26-2017 at 03:24 PM.
    Building a Better DDO

tl;dr: Mentoring is a system that allows you to de-level so you can play with people below your level range or higher levels can play with you. It's about as awesome as this bean salad I just made.

The Problem...

My brother is level 7. My wife is level 13. My friend just picked up the game and is level 2. I have guildmates of every level range who have spots in their groups. We have people posting to our Reddit sub looking for people to play with.

Great! Plenty of people to play with! Only one problem...I'm too high level.

Between power level penalties, bravery bonus, the epic divide and now reaper mode lockouts, we've seen more and more that the player base is being divided into small compartmentalized divisions. If you aren't within 1 or 2 levels of each other, you might as well not bother.

Sure I could roll an iconic and play with my wife, but then my brother can't play with us. We could all roll new characters together and play together, but if my brother and my friend are on, we'll outlevel my wife and then she has to not play her main until we get to that level or level up while we're not around on her own and...

Ugh. It's just messy.
    ~snip~

I just roll up an alt toon that compliments the people I am running with and only run it when running with them.
    you can have several alts or alt accounts specifically setup to only run with those people.

I only level them as they level, so if I manage to get ahead of them for whaever reason (like playing an Iconic toon) I don't have to level beyond them
    and no need to worry about lost XP etc.. they are just alts for friends.
    Argo: Degenerate Matter - 200
    Jotmon (HC 30/42 , RC 36/36 , IC 12/21 , EC 29/36 , RP 85/158)
    Jotlock (HC 38/42 , RC 0/36 , IC 15/21 , EC 36/36 , RP 36/158..favor toon)
    Whatthetruck (HC 38/42 , RC 19/36 , IC 15/21 , EC 19/36 , RP 63/158)

Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post
    and no need to worry about lost XP etc.. they are just alts for friends.
    So what do you do if you have friends that are level 3, 7, 13 and 22? All just create new level 1 alts?

Then the next night you play, the 7 and 22 are on. New alts again or level the first set of new alts? Now you have alts that are 3, 3, 6 and 6.

Okay next night a new 3 (old 3), new 6 (old 7) and new 6 (old 22). Guess you all start new alts, so now you have new 2 (new3 (old 3)), new 2(new 6 (old 7))...

And then the next night a new friend starts playing, but only the level 7 is on so new alts for all of you again....

This is more common then you might imagine. I have friends from various games that come back to play and having to create new characters every time is cumbersome.

Kinda get what the problem is? Mentoring is a clean solution. It allows people to play together without having to maintain a stable of characters at every 2 levels. Not only that but there's a significant portion of the playerbase that is very alt-phobic and this would open the game up for them.
    Building a Better DDO

I fully support this and have been wanting something like this since the game started.

I have trouble just keeping the same level as my son's characters even if I only play mine with him. (Tomes, VIP bonus, no death bonus, etc.)

If none of these awesome suggestions are implemented, then please just broaden the heroic level range that gives no penalty. For example: 5 levels under, no penalty. 6 levels -10%, 7 levels -20%, 8 levels -30%, 9 levels -40%, 10 levels -50%. Or some permutation of that general idea.

DDO really needs this implemented to encourage grouping.
    Ghallanda: Vilas, Alphon, Whelm, Thaylan, Tyclmi, Amgine, Talc, Dedlee, Payle, Darell, Talenta, Zhen, Thrane, Arrith, Durdyn, Magefyre, Necrophil, Tulgey, Borogove, Hasugi, Shawal, Hailestorm, Branthan, Lightningbug, Bettercall, Elecktric, Zardu, Zergworthy, BrotherOf, Missadventer, Bytemy, Demogeorgia, Tizen (33) Sarlona: (7) Cannith: (2)

So what do you do if you have friends that are level 3, 7, 13 and 22? All just create new level 1 alts?

Then the next night you play, the 7 and 22 are on. New alts again or level the first set of new alts? Now you have alts that are 3, 3, 6 and 6.

Okay next night a new 3 (old 3), new 6 (old 7) and new 6 (old 22). Guess you all start new alts, so now you have new 2 (new3 (old 3)), new 2(new 6 (old 7))...

And then the next night a new friend starts playing, but only the level 7 is on so new alts for all of you again....

This is more common then you might imagine. I have friends from various games that come back to play and having to create new characters every time is cumbersome.

Kinda get what the problem is? Mentoring is a clean solution. It allows people to play together without having to maintain a stable of characters at every 2 levels. Not only that but there's a significant portion of the playerbase that is very alt-phobic and this would open the game up for them.
    Get new friends that will stick to a common level range .. j/k...

Well it depends on your friends...
    Some of my toons are toons I only run when I am running with those specific friends and them with I. and we all stay within the same levelling group , level together etc...
    for others I had toons staged every 2 levels so I could switch to whichever alt happens to fit the level they are at if I don't run with them exclusively... I then I generally switch up toons as they level..
    these go astray every now and again if I decide to level them instead of level locking them.. so I leave a couple spots opne to do a quick rollup of an Iconic to suit.
    Last edited by JOTMON; 01-26-2017 at 04:09 PM.
    Argo: Degenerate Matter - 200
    Jotmon (HC 30/42 , RC 36/36 , IC 12/21 , EC 29/36 , RP 85/158)
    Jotlock (HC 38/42 , RC 0/36 , IC 15/21 , EC 36/36 , RP 36/158..favor toon)
    Whatthetruck (HC 38/42 , RC 19/36 , IC 15/21 , EC 19/36 , RP 63/158)

Get new friends that will stick to a common level range .. j/k...
    You try telling a bunch of ex-EverQuest veterans to stop grinding xp. 8( They haven't seen the sunlight in 18 years. Grinding levels is all they know.
    Building a Better DDO

Community Member SpartanKiller13's Avatar

The exp thing is mostly a psychological element. You want to feel like you're getting ~something~. Helping someone go from 1 to 20 would get maybe 1 or 2 epic levels. The idea is mostly to help them get caught up with you.

And yeah. Some people might pike a mentor for the 20% xp but so what? Why trash an overwhelmingly good thing because a small subset of the population would...get put on even footing?

What I foresee are tons more LFM's going up because people want that sweet, sweet mentor bonus as well. "HE Gianthold, want mentor, free hugs!"
    Fair, I just don't know that xp is what should be offered.

I don't mind increased LFM's even if they are getting 20% xp by having a piker.

Well it depends on your friends...
    Some of my toons are toons I only run when I am running with those specific friends and them with I. and we all stay within the same levelling group , level together etc...
    for others I had toons staged every 2 levels so I could switch to whichever alt happens to fit the level they are at if I don't run with them exclusively... I then I generally switch up toons as they level..
    these go astray every now and again if I decide to level them instead of level locking them.. so I leave a couple spots opne to do a quick rollup of an Iconic to suit.
    Some of us (JOTMON) have stables of characters. Some of us (me) have a main character and a few others. I don't mind rolling one (I have a slot or two dedicated to rolling helping toons) but I don't have enough character slots to park an optimized farmer every couple levels.
    Also I enjoy some more than others.
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorc. You gives up some of the damage and self sustain for the ability to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    It's DDO. There are probably 6 different types of Evil damage.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanKiller13 View Post
    Fair, I just don't know that xp is what should be offered.

I don't mind increased LFM's even if they are getting 20% xp by having a piker.
    Much like the mechanics of it, the reward structure is just a theorycraft. It works in EQ2, but then again, in EQ2 you also earn a ton of AA experience doing it. DDO has no real comparable system outside of maybe destiny xp/karma but that's trivial to cap as is. You could always grant some sort of cache at the end that can contain crafting mats, collectibles, cosmetics, remnants etc...
    Building a Better DDO

Community Member

I have 3 accounts full of alts for just these situations. I can roll up new characters at 1, 4 or 7 as needed too. Not that it's a bad idea, but seriously, the work involved to get it all figured out would be enough for a couple of new raids, and maybe another expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by RoberttheBard View Post
    I have 3 accounts full of alts for just these situations. I can roll up new characters at 1, 4 or 7 as needed too. Not that it's a bad idea, but seriously, the work involved to get it all figured out would be enough for a couple of new raids, and maybe another expansion.
    And honestly I'd rather have mentoring. Being able to group with friends/family that try to pick up the game and allow people of all levels to group will do more good for the game then any amount of content that could be put in.

Besides, Cordovan said that their engineer doesn't really do the dungeon design anyways. This whole reaper redesign was about as much work as one dungeon and was done by someone who has little/no involvement with the design of content.
    Building a Better DDO

What I did, as a VIP early on, was to use iconics for level specific team ups. You can run them at whatever level 1-15. Just throw some gear on them and go. When the person you are running with levels, you take a level. When they got to one of my real characters' levels I'd trash the iconic and run that.

It takes an open character slot though.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

Community Member

And honestly I'd rather have mentoring. Being able to group with friends/family that try to pick up the game and allow people of all levels to group will do more good for the game then any amount of content that could be put in.

Besides, Cordovan said that their engineer doesn't really do the dungeon design anyways. This whole reaper redesign was about as much work as one dungeon and was done by someone who has little/no involvement with the design of content.
    ...and you can still roll new toons and do it w/out taking away from any game development whatsoever. So you want to play with your friends, but only if you don't have to work to be able to do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rykka View Post
    What I did, as a VIP early on, was to use iconics for level specific team ups. You can run them at whatever level 1-15. Just throw some gear on them and go. When the person you are running with levels, you take a level. When they got to one of my real characters' levels I'd trash the iconic and run that.

It takes an open character slot though.
    That's a good idea, actually, I'll have to keep that in mind for the next time it comes up in my little circle.

Quote Originally Posted by RoberttheBard View Post
    ...and you can still roll new toons and do it w/out taking away from any game development whatsoever. So you want to play with your friends, but only if you don't have to work to be able to do it?

That's a good idea, actually, I'll have to keep that in mind for the next time it comes up in my little circle.
    I also like to leave a character or two at level 18 (likely XP capped) that I don't care to TR or to take into epics, to help with 17-20 quests.

Most of the people I play with are intermittent players. So it comes up as a problem.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast