Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default Standing Stone Games - A message from Rob Ciccolini

Greetings,

Today we have some momentous news! The game teams responsible for The Lord of the Rings Online (LOTRO) and Dungeons & Dragons Online (DDO) are now moving from Turbine to Standing Stone Games, a newly formed indie game studio. In addition, we’ve partnered with Daybreak Games to provide global publishing services. They’ve had a long, successful history developing and publishing MMOs, and we’re happy to lean on their expertise.

With the announcement out of the way, I wanted to talk to you about what all this means.

We're embarking on an exciting adventure as Standing Stone Games, a newly-independent studio staffed by people who have been working on DDO and LOTRO for many years. The teams remain very much committed to both games and are thrilled to continue development and operations of these games as an independent studio. This is an opportunity for us to bring about our dreams while still working on two of the biggest licenses in video games. It's a huge honor, and for you this means your games will continue to grow and improve. We love to focus on games with a high level of depth and scope, and we can't wait to show you what the future brings.

Although a great many exciting things are happening on our end, you'll be able to continue playing the game(s) you enjoy with as little interruption as possible. Our development continues on track, and the plans we have already announced remain firmly in our future view. Again, although we are a new studio, we are also the same developers who have been and will continue to work on our games.

Our success has always been possible because of your support. As we move forward, this is more important than ever. The ultimate goal of our new studio is to continue to bring you amazing experiences. We are excited for the future, and we’re thrilled to have you with us on this journey.

Here's to great games, epic adventures, and memorable times with friends!

~Sev
    Last edited by Cordovan; 12-19-2016 at 12:34 PM.

What happened to Turbine?

If it's still alive, why are they allowing their LotRO and DDO games to be "transferred" to another studio?

Can you please contrast the objectives with the two properties between Turbine and Standing Stone?

Thanks.
    Steve Howe was voted "Best Overall Guitarist" in Guitar Player magazine five years in a row (1977–1981) and in 1981 was the first rock guitar player inducted into the Guitar Player Hall of Fame.

Oh I get it
    The death of DDO

Long live the King!

A cocoon for a butterfly perhaps?

Congratulations
    Vishantii (priest of the silver flame)
    Kil (heroic and epic completionist)

Sarlona, Silver Flame Jokers

Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    Today we have some momentus news
    How you kept this secret for 49 days is beyond me...

ps. Do you prefer Bob or Rob?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Howe View Post
    What happened to Turbine?

If it's still alive, why are they allowing their LotRO and DDO games to be "transferred" to another studio?

Can you please contrast the objectives with the two properties between Turbine and Standing Stone?

Thanks.
    This 'new' company is also in Needham, Mass. And this website we're posting on says at the bottom: "2005-2013 Turbine, Inc. All rights reserved."

EDIT : It now says: Dungeons & Dragons Online® interactive video game (c) 2017 Standing Stone Games LLC. All other elements (c) 2017 HASBRO, Inc. Standing Stone Games and the Standing Stone Games logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Standing Stone Games LLC.

I can see it now! Intrepid young (cough, cough) developers abscond with valuable intellectual property after owner fails to renew copyright!

Or it's a spin off since Wizards of the Coast wanted the game to keep going, but Turbine wanted a clean start on Mobile games and no leftover taxes and costs. IDK, just guessing.

http://ddoplayers.com/2016/12/19/ddo...breaking-news/
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...Transition-FAQ
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...stomer-Service
    Last edited by Mindos; 12-19-2016 at 06:56 PM.

Exciting! Seems like the team can get rid of the corporate (Turbine) side and its demands (and costs). This should free up creativity, response time to issues (no ladder/hierarchy), etc. Seems like a big win. Will be engaging to watch what changes occur over the next 90 days.

Please send out press releases etc...
    ROGUE Part QUATRE: Prove your Stealth Skills!

Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist), Naerfelka (farmer)

I'm unsure what this all means.

My hope is that we don't have to go through another forum conversion where all the old forum links get broken again.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    I'm unsure what this all means.

My hope is that we don't have to go through another forum conversion where all the old forum links get broken again.
    As half the forum is DOOM threads and the other is calls to Nerf warlocks by butthurt non-warlocks, this won't be a bad thing.
    Karadon: Paladin [5] Mar - Jul 2006 - Aureon [EU] --- Paladin [20] Feb 2010 - June 2012 - Orien --- Paladin [21] June 2012 - July 2013 - Orien [TR1] --- Paladin [20] July 2013 - Present - Orien [TR2]
    Yes this is correct, I played Paladins, even pure Paladins before Update 23!!!

Might be bit doom, but this basically means end of the game. we well have couple more updates, and then life support, because there is no way they can keep as many people on now.

Well we hopefully have few more years of life support going.

I have no clue about what this means to VIP's since company you transfer money to is changing. That will be painful.

Daybreak used to be Sony Online Entertainment so take from that what you will. Given SoE's reputation as a collector of garbage prior to being rebranded as Daybreak I would normally be upset by this announcement. Hopefully DDO doesn't end up like Matrix Online and Vanguard did when they went to SoE.

Edit: I really hope this works out well. I absolutely love DDO. I'm just very leery of SoE and anything to do with them. I know they're just going to be doing the publishing but it's like being told that your best friend took a new job and is going to be working at the same company as your ex-wife who killed your dog.

Good riddance of WB and their yearly employee purges to "help grow the buzzword" and stupid stupid game decisions the idiot at the top of WB: Video Games and DC License Promotion made.

Turbine should have made a Harry Potter MMO and printed money on wand, robe, etc store items when first purchased by WB. Instead they made a LOLBatClone which seemed way too ambitious for the resources WB allowed.

Congrats on independence Standing Stone Games and sailing or sinking your own ship. On to a Ravenloft expansion?

As far as Daybreak goes... Planetside 2 is pretty good, though the SOE split from Sony was pretty harsh (mostly in lost devs).
    DDO 2019: ALL SHARN TOWERS - ALL THE TIME.

Cool A new beginning

I will not go the doom and gloom route, as those involved in keeping this game afloat have done really well in my mind. Congratulations on the new spinup to focus on DDO and LOTRO. Please keep us in the loop, where you can, on needs moving forward.

Who's in charge of Standing Stone?

Is Standing Stone a studio comprised of all the ex-Turbine DDO and LotRO employees?
    Steve Howe was voted "Best Overall Guitarist" in Guitar Player magazine five years in a row (1977–1981) and in 1981 was the first rock guitar player inducted into the Guitar Player Hall of Fame.

I wish all the people behind Standing Stone Games much luck and hope in this new venture. Worry and trepidation always come with such dramatic changes but as long as DDO and LotRO continue on, people like me will continue to play.

From what I have read of Turbine's origins, this seems like an effort to return to the company's roots. I am not even slightly surprised that a bunch of seasoned Massively Multiplayer Game developers want to continue making MMOs instead of phone games.

"Damn the torpedoes. Four bells, Captain Drayton, go ahead. Jouett, full speed." - Admiral David Farragut, Battle of Mobile Bay, American Civil War*

* His fleet took damage passing through the mines but ultimately won the day.

Community Member

Default What about Asheron's Call IP?

What about Asheron's Call IP?

Great ballsy move Sev and team! You are now your own studio, a independent studio and dont have to work on the latest D.C. offering and please the giant corporate overlords and their conflicting demands! Do right by us focus your passion on making a great game even more awesome and we will reward you.
    Percivaul Dusol, BadRandall and Shortpact--The Silver Legion

Community Member

Default Looking forward to this....

I don't post much, but this has me excited...

So, if I purchase something as of right now, will my money go to Standing Stone games, or to Turbine?

Thanks,
    Bam

Community Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Amberyll View Post
    I will not go the doom and gloom route, as those involved in keeping this game afloat have done really well in my mind. Congratulations on the new spinup to focus on DDO and LOTRO. Please keep us in the loop, where you can, on needs moving forward.
    We will! As we've stated, none of our plans for DDO (or LOTRO for that matter) have changed. We're still set to publish a bunch of great stuff next year, including Ravenloft stuff. We hope to have a new Producer's Letter out soon; may be early in the new year.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Howe View Post
    Who's in charge of Standing Stone?

Is Standing Stone a studio comprised of all the ex-Turbine DDO and LotRO employees?
    We are! Yes, the studio is made up of people who have been working on DDO and LOTRO for a long time now.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Community Manager

Quote Originally Posted by baimpala View Post
    I don't post much, but this has me excited...

So, if I purchase something as of right now, will my money go to Standing Stone games, or to Turbine?

Thanks,
    Bam
    Standing Stone Games.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

I literally had to check my phone for today's date, just to make sure I wasn't in a coma until April 1st.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast