Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Knocking out a fighter life

So, I am looking to get through a fighter past life soon, and kinda dreading it. I solo a lot, be it because of the difficulty of getting groups, or because it allows me to go at my own pace, so self healing has been a mainstay for all my builds. I prefer pure builds, but It seems to me that for fighter, I will have to adjust. I also don't tend to spend too much time in epics, unless I am going to cap, which I don't do on every life, and I probably wouldn't want to do here.

I can imagine running with a hireling, but I find they tend to die pretty easily once I hit about lvl 11-12. (elite 9-10 lvl quests)

Some options:
    pure - would love to, but healing 400-500 hp with CSW pots after every fight will get painful
    A long, long, long time ago I had a pure halfling fighter with dragonmarks. maybe I do that again?
    18/2 fighter/pally bladeforged - looks really appealing, with a torc and GS SP/concord I'll have virtually unlimited healing, but would have to take to cap to TR
    12/8 fighter/monk unarmed - I have some decent HW in the bank, so that's an option. Does FoL work with a weapon centered? will it be enough heals at lvl 17-19?
    12/8 fighter/warpriest - either FvS or Cleric - feels like I'd be losing a ton of dps, and self healing would still be an issue at lvl 17-19
    XX/XX fighter/bard or warlock or rogue - UMD heal scrolls, but will have hard time hitting 39 UMD before lvl 17, unless I go charisma based bard, to take the tier3 bard enhancement. again feels like I be giving up a lot of dps.

Suggestions and feedback welcome. Personal experience is best.

If you solo a lot then having a hireling really shouldn't be a problem. Especially at later levels you don't even need heal amp to call the hire to you and have them heal you to full in 1 heal. (Then park them so they don't do something done before you want to heal after the next fight). As a bonus, hireling can res you if you die (this however is not ideal). The only problems I've ever had using hirelings to heal is that you can't do this in a full party and that hirelings have a tendency to try and fight instead of res you sometimes. But using it to top up after a fight is quick and painless.

Kensai's can chug pots for +50 heal amp, which makes chugging csw pots that much less painful.

4 levels of warpriest is really all you need to get good self-healing. Amolerating Strikes scales off your character level instead of your cleric/fvs level, so all you need is 4 levels and to actually spend the 22 AP in the tree to heal.

I'm sure bladeforged is an option, but I don't think I have them so no comment there.

My 8 fighter/6 rogue/6 monk stick build has adequate self-healing through fists of light (which work with sticks of course).

I've also been toying with the idea of doing a fighter/barbarian to get the heavy armour feats for PRR and the barbarian heals/threat range (which stacks with the Kensai crit multiplier). If you're not worried about losing a capstone from either of these classes, this build might work for you. Barbs also get lots of h-amp for those csw pots.

But... I still think your best option is to run with a hireling or make a friend who doesn't mind healing you every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by ulticleo View Post
    So, I am looking to get through a fighter past life soon, and kinda dreading it. I solo a lot, be it because of the difficulty of getting groups, or because it allows me to go at my own pace, so self healing has been a mainstay for all my builds. I prefer pure builds, but It seems to me that for fighter, I will have to adjust. I also don't tend to spend too much time in epics, unless I am going to cap, which I don't do on every life, and I probably wouldn't want to do here.

I can imagine running with a hireling, but I find they tend to die pretty easily once I hit about lvl 11-12. (elite 9-10 lvl quests)

Some options:
    pure - would love to, but healing 400-500 hp with CSW pots after every fight will get painful
    A long, long, long time ago I had a pure halfling fighter with dragonmarks. maybe I do that again?
    18/2 fighter/pally bladeforged - looks really appealing, with a torc and GS SP/concord I'll have virtually unlimited healing, but would have to take to cap to TR
    12/8 fighter/monk unarmed - I have some decent HW in the bank, so that's an option. Does FoL work with a weapon centered? will it be enough heals at lvl 17-19?
    12/8 fighter/warpriest - either FvS or Cleric - feels like I'd be losing a ton of dps, and self healing would still be an issue at lvl 17-19
    XX/XX fighter/bard or warlock or rogue - UMD heal scrolls, but will have hard time hitting 39 UMD before lvl 17, unless I go charisma based bard, to take the tier3 bard enhancement. again feels like I be giving up a lot of dps.

Suggestions and feedback welcome. Personal experience is best.
    have you considered human with healing amp and silver flame pots?
    main toons: hauteur(silly caster) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly paladin)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
    have you considered human with healing amp and silver flame pots?
    Yes. They used to be very painful to use, though - stacks of 10 only, debuffs to ability points and movement speed, and 400 SF favor comes pretty late. I'll check if that changed, but if not, it's not a route I'll choose to go.

I'll definitely use a hireling when soloing, I usually park one at the entrance even on self healing builds, just in case.

Personal experience ~is~ always better than theory crafting, and I admit and apologize that I haven't done what you're asking. So I'll just give reassurance.

A simple SWF Bard 9 template, backed up by Fighter Feats and survivability Enhancements, could certainly carry you through to end-game. I ~have~ run a Swashy, and Fighter would simply trade away mid-level spells for being a LOT tougher - and that won't be an entirely bad thing.

There are pro'ly more complex 3-class TR templates. I've heard a Bard/Warlock is strong, and personally seen a Bard/Arti/X TR tear it up w/ a repeater at level 16.

I don't have the specific answer, but have faith it's out there. GL!

Edit: I may have the specific answer - several threads on TR templates... gimme a second to dig them up...
    Last edited by C-Dog; 11-22-2016 at 04:20 PM.

Community Member

4 paladin, 6 warlock, 10 fighter
    Main Characters: Korkoch the Cruel, Sylhuetta Sidhe...Thelanis

Yes. They used to be very painful to use, though - stacks of 10 only, debuffs to ability points and movement speed, and 400 SF favor comes pretty late. I'll check if that changed, but if not, it's not a route I'll choose to go.

I'll definitely use a hireling when soloing, I usually park one at the entrance even on self healing builds, just in case.
    two ways you can do this - either get the favor and stock up now on sf pots - or use hires/csw until around 13 - then you should be close to the favor mark
    main toons: hauteur(silly caster) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly paladin)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

o Here's a vote from Unbongwah that Bard 5/Ftr 3 is all you need (tho' few specifics) - "... tier-5 Swashbuckler + Tenacious Defense costs about 48 APs, leaving 32 to tweak your build..."

o https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5891810

...and...

o https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5634052

o Another vote for Bard/Fighter, with then a spectrum of alternatives/variations tossed in https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5896516

o Argument for Rog 5/X 15 (w/ example Cleric). You could adapt this to enough Cleric to heal, and enjoy. (Most of the thread is bickering whether it's a "Cleric" or "Rogue") https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5877674

(You didn't seem interested in ranged, so those options were not included.)

If you went the straight Bard/Fighter route, you could toss in a 3rd class splash of Barb 1 for the +10% Run Speed, or Wiz 1 for more (infinite) spell points plus the 1 AP Invis clickie. Or (since Swash is Light Armour anyway) 2 Lvls of Rogue for Evasion - Int-based and you could grab Insightful Reflexes easy. Ymmv.
    Last edited by C-Dog; 11-22-2016 at 05:05 PM.

There are other options available to players if they so choose...

Collectable Route...

http://ddowiki.com/page/Collectable

These vendors have:
    • Elixir of Lesser Healing
    • Elixir of Moderate Healing
    • Elixir of Improved Healing
    • Elixir of Greater Healing

This do a one time heal with a continued amount over time. They do share the same timer so you can't just down multiple Elixir's

Next, combine with UMD - Wands have a separate timer to Potions. This will allow you to drink and wand your way back up. Cuts time down even if the wand is less then the potion.

Planer Shard turn in - This does take some collecting but I have had lots of fun getting lost in the Explorer area.

While these items are exclusive on you, you can still get one, bank it and go get another. The Diamond & Sapphire of the Twelve has 5 charges of Mass Cure Serious/Critical. I prefer the Topaz of the Twelve even though it is a single charge of Heal. These do have a Minimum level (13) and are bound to character. If anything grab at least one Raise item for non-UMD raising of Hireling in a pinch.

----------------------
    However, there is one thing I would like to point out about the Fighter. It has a number of feats available so there is room to fit in feats that can actually help reduce incoming damage thus making healing a little better. These are Trip, Stunning Blow and SAP. Gearing towards these options can help you mitigate mobs so that you can reduce how many are hitting you to a level that is easier to manage. Improved Trip does up the DC but if you back it up with Gear/Strength you can use Trip well into Epic difficulties. Next, loot to weapons that have effects that slow mobs down. This does not need to be your primary weapon, but one you have available when you feel like you are on the losing side of a mob rush. Again, fewer and slower attacks coming in gives you the advantage and also keeps your incoming damage from being greater then your healing capability.

I am not fond of the hireling, but cost wise it makes a lot of sense, especially if you use the Park Safely method and pull it forward when you need some healing.

Community Member

Lots of great info, thank!

I did a bard swashbuckler life, and it was fun. maybe a 9 bard/11 fighter swashbuckler might be the way to go.

I did a bard swashbuckler life, and it was fun. maybe a 9 bard/11 fighter swashbuckler might be the way to go.
    I quite enjoyed my swashbuckler life as well. This does seem like a solid option.

If it were me, I might go bard for the first 7 levels to race to cure serious, then start throwing in some fighter levels. Actually, make that 8 bard levels to start to get cure serious, haste and displacement. And knowing that, I would probably take extend at either 6 or 9, figuring you get lots of feats with 11 fighter.

(A level 7 bard casting cure serious heals a base 23.5 * devotion * amp, or 24.5 @ level 8.)

Or... 9 Bard, 10 Fighter, 1 Barbarian?

Since Ftr 11 doesn't give you anything special anyway, and (as pointed out above), you will pro'ly have more Feats than you need (13-14!).

Esp if you solo, don't underestimate the time savings over the life of the character for 10% run speed. It's a QoL thing that many don't realize they miss until they've tried it.

Or not - but don't be quick to dismiss it unless you know it's not for you.

Community Member the_one_dwarfforged's Avatar

if it is just a tr build and you only want to take it to 20, the easiest thing to do would be stop taking fighter levels past 12 as by the time you reach the next significant milestone (18) it doesnt really matter and pure doesnt do literally anything for you if you tr right away.

imo cure serious pots on a pure fighter are not as bad as you seem to think it will be. granted, i do have 3 pally past lives and a gs hamp stick, but if you just take human hamp and liquid courage healing with potions actually isnt too terrible if you kite or fight while doing it. if you go pure fighter, there will be no delays in increasing your power (specifically first number dmg from +dmg mods and +mp) offensively and you will seriously wreck anything within range of your great cleave, to the point where if you are taking much of any damage at all, youre doing something wrong. and that something is not killing stuff...which is really hard on a kensei. also, in heavy armor with defensive stance and later on the top two tiers of the heavy armor feats you will be very resistant to damage.

as far as splashes go, imo 2 rogue gives you the best bang for your buck. it reduces damage you take by giving you the option to evade traps, or the ability to just disable them, as well as gives you a lot of extra umd which is valuable in higher level heroics for needing less swap gear to get decent heal scroll chances (also power surge adds +4 to this now). this only delays your build by 2 levels, and it is essentially finished at lvl 14.

the problem with deep splashes like the fighter/cleric is that you delay the big draws of each class by a very long time and its not until you get to epics that you really see the full potential of either of the classes or of such a build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    By the way, sorry for the folks I dropped the death cube on. Except I'm not sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by DDOTalk71 View Post
    Due to the rising costs of OlladraCare, the Coin Lords laid off Mari and outsourced her job to foreigners.

#MakeStormreachGreatAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by changelingamuck View Post
    Class balance isn't a black-or-white...issue...

Historically I did this as Bard 8 (for Haste, Displacement, Cure Serious), with Fighter 12. This was a long time ago (20 cap) but because it was mostly based on class abilities, not enhancements, it would still work today (plus you could also choose to go Swashbuckler now, which wasn't an option back then).

Of the melee lives I've done, the only smoother one was a Paladin life.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

I play a very old Warforged fighter. Back in 2006, when I started I decided I would be good at everything. So 1 level of Mage and 1 level of Cleric. Currently 22, pushing 23. Built as a heavy tank. Never been TRed, going to wait till 30 to do it.

I can use most every wand in game, a lot of the scrolls (without using UMD), so I can self heal and heal other with wands. I can solo most content at or within 1-2 levels on Epic Normal and some on Epic hard.

A lot of the survivability may be just proper preparation, such as getting all your buffs and resistances cast before a fight (potions and wands help a lot). Find better gear that what you have currently, or set items that give you better bonuses. Check your build and see if it can be improved to give you better survivability in melee combat. Get a Wand of Blur if you can use it.

Do not hesitate to soften a target up while it is charging with a few crossbow bolts or spells. Use spells defensively if you can, especially ones that slow the enemy down so you can shoot it longer.

level up your crafting and get some stones to blind or turn you enemies to stone with. Really loving the blinding ones on my Rogue, makes things a lot easier if it can only hit you half the time.
    Orsus

It does not matter who the strongest fighter is... just the last one standing in the end.

Personally I have a hard time understanding the fighter dread. Fighters are very easy to play. They have great DPS and can have awesome defenses. If you do not neglect your AC you will find that CSW pots are sufficient to keep yourself healed until you can start throwing heal scrolls. Personally for a fighter past life build I would recommend splashing 1 level of rogue or artificer in order to be able to rank up UMD. I might also take the Skill Focus:UMD feat. It is fairly simple to build a vanguard/stalwart that will have enough AC in heroic questing to be amazingly durable. If going 1-20 only I would suggest going Elf and splashing 1 level of Wizard as well. This will get you extended displacement. So High AC, Displacement and UMD. Really after playing fighter I find other melee classes to be fairly limited.
    Deijah / Deijara / Deijanna / Deijora / Deijaugh
    Ornery and Loving it.

Community Member

Default Rogue 6, Ranger 6, Fighter 8 for the life

Personal experience: Intelligence-based Rogue/Mechanic-6, Ranger/Deepwood Sniper-6, [Insert Class]-8 using Great Crossbow and taking the Rapid Reload and Point Blank Shot feats with the Harper's Strategic Combat I enhancement. The rest of the build is pretty straight forward - put 80%-90% of APs into Mech and DWS. Everything else; feats, enhancements, and attributes, are bonus, so feel free to play around with it.

Can:
    Strongly support groups. For example, in Vault of Night, disarm traps and able to pull both the Str or Wis levers (only need base Str 13 and Wis 14), all while contributing heavily to total kills. With Insightful Reflexes, should be able to survive the dragon fight while doing lots of damage - perhaps even grabbing aggro (maybe take Favored Enemy - Dragon).
    Excellent Beholder killer: For example, solo both Invaders and The Jungle of Khyber

Can't:
    Solo well against group ambush scenarios. For example, Grim and Barret.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Bah easy life at least to 20 take 10 arty or even 10 warlock and just bust it out fast don't need no stinking hirelings EVER

Beware the Sleepeater

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    Bah easy life at least to 20 take 10 arty or even 10 warlock and just bust it out fast don't need no stinking hirelings EVER
    I agree with this message.

Do not go pure fighter, take at least 6 warlock, get SPs and 6sp extended displacement! and you don't need cleaves or PA that way since you get free cleave replacers in that tree, saving you feats you can use to do other stuff, not that fighters need to, but ya, I would probably do shield mastery, because if anything gets dicey you can just turtle behind a tower shield while your 4 second aura (that's what level 6 warlock is for), kills everything.

Just do a heroic TR, super easy from level 1, and you probably haven't run all the Korthos quests in while! This is frankly what I save my weekly exp rewards for if they are sizeable, because it is actually more fun to start at level 2 or 3.

Even if you just two hand it through content because you have Carnifex and Sword of Shadow, you will still love the auraus and non interrupt bursts instead of the cleave animations, up to you. The other possibility is 5 or 6 cleric, it's more defensive, but you will get decent healing from that aura. Take the appropriate feats for either one (the bursts can be maximized and empowered for free and don't cost sp, cleric aura can take empower healing at least, maybe more, been a while since I ran one).

Community Member the_one_dwarfforged's Avatar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdJw...ature=youtu.be

given the accessibility of csw pots, why would you sacrifice ******** dmg output and prr?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    By the way, sorry for the folks I dropped the death cube on. Except I'm not sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by DDOTalk71 View Post
    Due to the rising costs of OlladraCare, the Coin Lords laid off Mari and outsourced her job to foreigners.

#MakeStormreachGreatAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by changelingamuck View Post
    Class balance isn't a black-or-white...issue...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast