Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

alright to put the Con and other stuff on a ring instead for sneak attack melees, who have the LOD necklace? at epic it also frees up the cloak as it has ghostly on it.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    ...snip..
    Thanks for making this gear plan / list EllisDee37

It makes it very easy to make a couple of items as you go along per life knowing you can fill it all, in your own time. Instead of having to make a plan and stick to it.

How do you feel about this plan now 8 months later with alot more use of the set and several updates with loot?

Thanks again.
    Eurotrash™ playing on Khyber, Crimson Eagles
    Paramount - 20 TR3 Horc Blitz | Razing - 20 FvS TRing for more caster lives | Warcrier - 20 TR2 14/6 Warchanter Kensei

Quote Originally Posted by Warinx View Post
    How do you feel about this plan now 8 months later with alot more use of the set and several updates with loot?
    Still loving it. I even used it on my pure-ranged longbow ranger and it worked great.

My only complaint is that I wish I hadn't put Wisdom on the hat because that's the only reasonable slot for crafting haggle, and my paladin, ranger and fighter/cleric all would lose spell points if I swapped to a haggle hat for vendoring. So I mainly just stick with old-style haggle necklaces until 30.

Still loving it. I even used it on my pure-ranged longbow ranger and it worked great.

My only complaint is that I wish I hadn't put Wisdom on the hat because that's the only reasonable slot for crafting haggle, and my paladin, ranger and fighter/cleric all would lose spell points if I swapped to a haggle hat for vendoring. So I mainly just stick with old-style haggle necklaces until 30.
    Nice, how many of the set is BTA and how many are with an augment slot? (Do you have any that are both? May I ask how?)
    Paramount - 20 TR3 Horc Blitz | Razing - 20 FvS TRing for more caster lives | Warcrier - 20 TR2 14/6 Warchanter Kensei

Nice, how many of the set is BTA and how many are with an augment slot? (Do you have any that are both? May I ask how?)
    Cannith Crafting always creates BTA items, even if the item started out as BTC. (Like from a stone of change recipe, for example.)

Cannith Crafting always creates BTA items, even if the item started out as BTC. (Like from a stone of change recipe, for example.)
    Ah, so all those BTA blanks I filled my bank with is junk now xD So you can get BtA with augments, NICE. Thanks sorry for the noob question. I recently came back to DDO.

Ah, so all those BTA blanks I filled my bank with is junk now xD So you can get BtA with augments, NICE. Thanks sorry for the noob question. I recently came back to DDO.
    No worries, and welcome back.

And yeah, I've spent more than my fair share of farming BTA blanks in Sharn Syndicate and Red Fens, but everything being BTA now is so much nicer I don't begrudge my now-wasted time farming.

In addition to augments, there's also metal type weapons for DR breaking. That's super nice being BTA.

Community Member

Default thanks ED

Just wanted to say i love this thread, i used the new player starting gear guides for my first life while saving up mats and raising crafting, I now have almost a entire heroic set, minus 1 ring and trinket. Really helpful

Default Can this get stickied?

Very helpful thread for a returning player.

Could this get stickied at top of Crafting Part of Forums?

Also, is there a "Caster version" of this thread?
    "Hireling" and "Hjealer"
    Member of THACO on Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by Bacab View Post
    I've been half-heartedly trying on-and-off for forever to come up with a universal caster gearset, but have failed miserably.

I have recently finished designing (and actually crafted in-game) a leveling gearset for my necro cleric which I hope to be adding to my necro cleric thread sometime soon. I also want to update that build, mainly the epic feats.

Trying to make it also work for a wizard is simply too much to ask, but I did at least put some effort into making the individual items as generic as possible. As in, there's a "Con of False Life w/iCon" item, though I forget right now if it's a belt or a necklace.

I've been half-heartedly trying on-and-off for forever to come up with a universal caster gearset, but have failed miserably.

I have recently finished designing (and actually crafted in-game) a leveling gearset for my necro cleric which I hope to be adding to my necro cleric thread sometime soon. I also want to update that build, mainly the epic feats.

Trying to make it also work for a wizard is simply too much to ask, but I did at least put some effort into making the individual items as generic as possible. As in, there's a "Con of False Life w/iCon" item, though I forget right now if it's a belt or a necklace.
    Maybe could work something generic like exact (belt con/whatever) pieces of non dc, non casting stat and no spellpower/lore leaving empty the other ones and telling primary school on goggles with spell penetration on extra slot, secondary school on trinket, casting stat on helm, spellpower/lore in weapom, 2nd element in ring

That's just an example, it doesn't mean it's possible lol
    psykopeta is finally baconpletionist because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS: I post only in the latest thread shown in main page, in the weird case u want something from me, feel free to send pm

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bacab View Post
    If your caster cares about DC, often a 5 piece heroic slaver's set can serve from 8 to 20 or beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by psykopeta View Post
    Maybe could work something generic like exact (belt con/whatever) pieces of non dc, non casting stat and no spellpower/lore leaving empty the other ones and telling primary school on goggles with spell penetration on extra slot, secondary school on trinket, casting stat on helm, spellpower/lore in weapom, 2nd element in ring
    Trinket is the one item I plan to share among all my DC casters: Spell Pen of Spell Focus Mastery w/iSpell Pen.

Spell Focus Mastery keeps pretty close to individual school focus throughout all levels, and the three effects don't scale very much so it's pretty easy to come up with just a few to get you all the way to 30:

ML5 Spell Pen 2 of Spell Focus Mastery 2
    ML13 Spell Pen 3 of Spell Focus Mastery 3 w/iSpell Pen 2
    ML23 Spell Pen 5 of Spell Focus Mastery 4 w/iSpell Pen 3

For comparison, the individual school DC effects are 2 @ ML5 (same as mastery), 3 @ ML13 (same as mastery), and 5 @ ML23 (+1 compared to mastery.)

For individual spell powers and lores, rings and weapons are the way to go. Keep like with like on a single item (eg: devotion of healing lore) and you can easily drop them in and out depending what type of caster you are.

Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    If your caster cares about DC, often a 5 piece heroic slaver's set can serve from 8 to 20 or beyond.
    My main issue with slave lord gear is that it doesn't scale. It's great at level 8, of course, but by level 21 it's already feeling way underpowered. Essentially +6 stat (+5 gear +1 quality) plus the +2 artifact bonus to all DCs.

At level 21 I can cannith craft +10/+4 stat items, which is +8 casting stat compared to slave lords. That means I really have to craft it somewhere else, so now I'm essentially spending 5 whole gear slots just for +2 DCs; any other effect from slave lords I want I need to craft somewhere else in epics to get a real epic-worthy value. That doesn't seem worth it at level 21.

If I'm switching out of slave lords altogether at 21, I dunno, I think I'd rather just craft gear at 10 (+6/+2 stat items) and go with that.

Then, assuming u craft the trinket with mastery and pen, then the castinf stat would go to helm? Goggles? Cloak?

I would like to help u but im changing ISP and home so no internet for a while for me xD

But i would do something like a gear set including the core, and leaving open spots as variables depending the caster stat and the amount of lores they want to use (so 1 ring would be static and the other could be spellpower+lore or something that people can put in there without being critica need, in case they aren't using 2 weapons for example to allow weapon+shield)

It would be clearly less complete but would allow some ideas where to put gs/named and such
    psykopeta is finally baconpletionist because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS: I post only in the latest thread shown in main page, in the weird case u want something from me, feel free to send pm

Quote Originally Posted by psykopeta View Post
    Then, assuming u craft the trinket with mastery and pen, then the castinf stat would go to helm? Goggles? Cloak?
    Yep, goggles are Casting Stat of iFocus w/iStat, int for wizards and wisdom for clerics.

My forum project trying to sort it all out is in this thread.

The cleric gearset I settled on last week and actually crafted for my in-game character (who is currently level 25) a couple days ago is as follows:

Head: Pansophic Circlet (Deathblock)
    Eyes: ML21 Wisdom 10 Goggles of Ins. Necro Focus 2 w/Ins. Wisdom 4 (Blindness Ward)
    Neck: ML21 Heal 18 Necklace of Ins. Wizardry 101 w/Ins. Heal 9 (Fear Immunity)
    Back: ML21 Charisma 10 Cloak of Spellsight 18 w/Ins. Charisma 4 (Good Luck)
    Wrist: Greensteel Smoke (25 HP / 100 SP)
    Hand: ML21 Wizardry 203 Gloves of Resistance 8 w/Ins. Devotion 57 (Master's Gift)
    Waist: ML21 Constitution 10 Belt of Jump 18 w/Ins. Constitution 4 (False Life)
    Feet: ML21 Dodge Bonus 10 Boots of Sheltering 25 w/Ins. Fortification 57 (Feather Falling)
    Ring: ML21 Light Lore 17 Ring of Radiance 115 w/Ins. MRR 12 (Strength)
    Ring: ML21 Force Lore 17 Ring of Impulse 115 w/Ins. PRR 12 (Heavy Fort)
    Trinket: ML23 Spell Penetration 5 Trinket of Spell Focus Mastery 4 w/Ins. Spell Penetration 3
    Body: ML22 Vitality 35 Planeforged Half Plate of Healing Amp 41 w/Parrying 4 (Spell Agility)
    Main: Scepter of Healing (Nullification)
    Off: ML22 Devotion 118 Celestial Heavy Shield of Eternal Faith w/Ins. Light Resist 19 (Armored Agility)

In the end, I abandoned both of my cleric's greensteel items (one is even cleansed!) and made brand new smoke bracers to fit this gearset better.

The scepter of healing has healing lore 14, which falls in the middle between the ML10 and ML21 crafted versions (lore 12 and lore 17 respectively.) So I'll just stick with it all the way to endgame. Plus, Wisdom to hit and damage! Not that I'll do much meleeing, but it's a nice option to have when enemies are slivered.

I will also have a boot swap:

Boots of Swim w/Insightful Swim (Water Breathing)

This has two functions: First as an obvious swim swap, like when running Druid's Deep, and second as an easy way to remove feather fall when you don't want it equipped, like in tempest spine or caught in the web.

If I swap out the shield when scrolling GH, I am down to 15% ASF.

Community Member

My main issue with slave lord gear is that it doesn't scale. It's great at level 8, of course, but by level 21 it's already feeling way underpowered. Essentially +6 stat (+5 gear +1 quality) plus the +2 artifact bonus to all DCs.

At level 21 I can cannith craft +10/+4 stat items, which is +8 casting stat compared to slave lords. That means I really have to craft it somewhere else, so now I'm essentially spending 5 whole gear slots just for +2 DCs; any other effect from slave lords I want I need to craft somewhere else in epics to get a real epic-worthy value. That doesn't seem worth it at level 21.

If I'm switching out of slave lords altogether at 21, I dunno, I think I'd rather just craft gear at 10 (+6/+2 stat items) and go with that.
    heroic slave lords set yields:
    +2 Artifact DC
    +1 Quality DC
    +1 Artifact stat
    +1 Quality stat
    so that's +4 DC over what you can craft.

you can (and should) upgrade the rest of your gear, and yes, there are some sacrifices to be made, considering that 5 of your slots are locked. On the other hand you have mythic and reaper bonuses, not available on cannith crafted gear. plus heroic slavers gear is really easy to farm. and I also like the two-slot aspect of crafted slaver items; that allows for some juggling in the gear set without recrafting the items
    Last edited by cru121; 07-11-2018 at 11:40 AM.

heroic slave lords set yields:
    +2 Artifact DC
    +1 Quality DC
    +1 Artifact stat
    +1 Quality stat
    so that's +4 DC over what you can craft.

you can (and should) upgrade the rest of your gear, and yes, there are some sacrifices to be made, considering that 5 of your slots are locked. On the other hand you have mythic and reaper bonuses, not available on cannith crafted gear. plus heroic slavers gear is really easy to farm.
    With 7 items for DC casting (5 piece slavelord, 1 cannith stat item and 1 cannith spell focus mastery + spell pen) that only leaves a handful of open spots for everything else, including spell power and lore. Seems a little too pidgeonholed to me.

I'd be interested to look at a rough-in sample of what a complete gearset would look like for epic leveling.

Putting together a slave lords version, I think I might like it better but I need to analyze the changes in more detail. The basic gearset is as follows:

Head: Pansophic Circlet
    Eyes: ML21 Wisdom 10 Goggles of Ins. Necro Focus 2 w/Ins. Wisdom 4
    Neck: Chain
    Back: ML21 Charisma 10 Cloak of Spellsight 18 w/Ins. Charisma 4
    Wrist: Shackles
    Hand: ML21 Wizardry 203 Gloves of Resistance 8 w/Ins. Devotion 57
    Waist: ML21 Constitution 10 Belt of False Life 38 w/Ins. Constitution 4
    Feet: ML21 Dodge Bonus 10 Boots of Sheltering 25 w/Ins. Fortification 57
    Ring: Spinneret
    Ring: Five Rings
    Trinket: ML23 Spell Penetration 5 Trinket of Spell Focus Mastery 4 w/Ins. Spell Penetration 3
    Body: Executioner's Platemail
    Main: Forgotten Light
    Off: ML22 Impulse 118 Shield of Eternal Faith w/Parrying 4

Slave Lords Crafted Item 1: Strength, Positive Lore, Jump, Quality Wisdom
    Slave Lords Crafted Item 2: Dexterity, Radiance Lore, Concentration, Quality Charisma
    Slave Lords Crafted Item 3: Wizardry, Force Lore, Heal, Quality Constitution

Items that are exactly the same in both gearsets:

Head: Pansophic Circlet
    Eyes: ML21 Wisdom 10 Goggles of Ins. Necro Focus 2 w/Ins. Wisdom 4
    Back: ML21 Charisma 10 Cloak of Spellsight 18 w/Ins. Charisma 4
    Hand: ML21 Wizardry 203 Gloves of Resistance 8 w/Ins. Devotion 57
    Feet: ML21 Dodge Bonus 10 Boots of Sheltering 25 w/Ins. Fortification 57

That's a ton of cannith crafted overlap, which is ideal for switching between them with minimal effort.

Let's compare for level 25, which is firmly in "Why am I still wearing ML8 gear?!" territory. I think the slave lords set will still acquit itself quite well:

Effect . . . . Cannith .Slave Lords
    Strength . . . 6 . . . .6
    Dexterity . . .0 . . . .6
    Constitution . 14 . . . 16
    Intelligence . 0 . . . .2
    Wisdom . . . . 14 . . . 17
    Charisma . . . 14 . . . 17 . . . ..
    Hit Points . . 90 . . . 58
    PRR/MRR . . . .37 . . . 25
    Dodge (Cap) . .10 (10) .10 (8)
    Fortification .157 . . .157
    Saves . . . . .12 . . . 12
    Healing Amp . .41 . . . 0 . . . . .
    Spell Points . 404 . . .203
    Necro DC . . . 6 . . . .9
    Evo DC . . . . 4 . . . .7
    Enchant DC . . 4 . . . .7
    Spell Pen . . .8 . . . .8 . . . . .
    Devotion . . . 184 . . .192
    Radiance . . . 172 . . .183
    Impulse . . . .172 . . .181
    Nullification .156 . . .135
    Healing Lore . 14 . . . 10
    Radiance Lore .17 . . . 10
    Kinetic Lore . 17 . . . 10
    Void Lore . . .0 . . . .4 . . . . .
    Concentration .0 . . . .10
    Jump . . . . . 18 . . . 10

Net result is +5 to all DCs (assuming we can squeeze out one more wisdom to make it even, which I think I can) but we lose:
    -200 spell points
    -30 hit points
    -7 spell lore
    -Complete loss of healing amp
    -No blurry
    Most of the rest is fluff, or close enough to be equivalent.

I think I like this version better. Good call, cru121. (Also, you forgot the +1 profane bonus to all stats from slave lords armor.)

Note that both versions include a weapon that gives Wisdom to hit and damage, which appeals to me way more than it should.

Community Member

I think I like this version better. Good call, cru121. (Also, you forgot the +1 profane bonus to all stats from slave lords armor.)
    Yeah I am using this on my caster bard character, heavy armor is out of reach for me.

Next exercise would be to fit in 5 piece Ravenloft set along with 5 piece Slavers set. Good luck

(Note: In general, not worth it. Definitely not in epics. But my alt account doesn't have Cannith favor for third slot, but has both Slavers and Ravenloft. So it's in the "good enough" territory for me.)

(Note: In general, not worth it. Definitely not in epics. But my alt account doesn't have Cannith favor for third slot, but has both Slavers and Ravenloft. So it's in the "good enough" territory for me.)
    If you're on argo I can help you get 50 cannith favor with daily tokens.

Net result is +5 to all DCs (assuming we can squeeze out one more wisdom to make it even, which I think I can)
    Already solved: The slave lord set has plenty of augment space to slot +1 exceptional wisdom.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123