Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Default How many hours from lvl 1 to 20?

I'm looking at heroic past life feats and some would really help my build, but I'm trying to get an idea of how much game time each one will actually take. I know the TR timer is 3 days, but my real question is roughly how many hours of gameplay does it take? Assume I'm on 3rd+ life, but using xp potions and strictly doing EBB.

Quote Originally Posted by Fivetigers33 View Post
    I'm looking at heroic past life feats and some would really help my build, but I'm trying to get an idea of how much game time each one will actually take. I know the TR timer is 3 days, but my real question is roughly how many hours of gameplay does it take? Assume I'm on 3rd+ life, but using xp potions and strictly doing EBB.
    Assuming no downtime (waiting for group, picking up gear from TR cache) and an average of 3k xp/min (this can be much higher and much lower depending on playstyle etc.) it's a 21 hour grind, add to this some time to get from quest to quest and you're probably looking at closer to 24-25 hours.

Power farming certain quests can really help bring the number down, shadow crypt as an example can be done in around 3 mins and will still be one of the best xp/min even at -80%.

I think I remember a duo doing a 1-20 in less than 24 hours, but I might be mistaken.
    -The mash on Argo
    In Soviet Russia Shroud trust in YOU!

Sovereign Vorpal Halfling of Supreme Good scipiojedi's Avatar

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Rawrargh View Post
    Assuming no downtime (waiting for group, picking up gear from TR cache) and an average of 3k xp/min (this can be much higher and much lower depending on playstyle etc.) it's a 21 hour grind, add to this some time to get from quest to quest and you're probably looking at closer to 24-25 hours.

Power farming certain quests can really help bring the number down, shadow crypt as an example can be done in around 3 mins and will still be one of the best xp/min even at -80%.

I think I remember a duo doing a 1-20 in less than 24 hours, but I might be mistaken.
    I think that duo did it in 18 hours but not sure. 3kxp/min seems ridiculous in heroics, I thought 1K xp/min was what zergers were looking for, but you do what you want to have fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Working for free makes it very difficult to spend money on swords.
    https://www.twitch.tv/jobus1221/
    YouTube Channel
    -My main is Jobus on Khyber but I do play my alts regularly -

30 hours of QUESTING (not scratching yourself at the bank) is a 1-20 pace that won't burn you out too much. This a assumes XP tome, streaking, knowing what you're doing, and some pots if needed.

Community Member

I think my heroic past lives are going to wait hahahaha. Thanks for all the input.

Default realistically

1-20 can be and has been done in the times mentioned above.....but..... to accomplish this you will need a partner(s) and the time. you will also NOT do all quests e/BB

Now realistically 1-20 and doing ELITE/BB/FAVOR for free TP...........can be done in 4-8 days

1) You will do ALL or most of the quests at level ELITE for BB. Some of these will NOT be the best xp/min quests...
    2) You will want the FAVOR for you inventory and bank spaces. Some of these will NOT be the best xp/min quests...

3) DO NOT USE XP pots..... if you do ALL quest Elite/BB you will almost always be maxed out on XP and holding back levels. Save your pots and TP

4) You don't NEED but if you can get a dedicated TRAPPER...........If you have a partner or use LFM, you will want a trapper to run around and get all the traps for BONUS.

5) You don't NEED but if you can get a dedicated RANSACK/CONQUEST person.........If you have a partner or use the LFM, you will want some one to play the "box breaker and clean-up guy" this person does not ZERG to the end, but cleans up and tries to get all boxes and kills by the time the quest ends..... I have fun doing this in some of my groups!! then they start the next quest and i run to the end for my chest. then i get to the next quest and try to get the bonuses for the group. Easy job, don't have to be UBER, team likes you, it is fun challenge, you kinda of just run through empty dungeons smashing things and collecting chests:P

6) Unless you are really dedicated to run 1-20 in one day, use 3-5 hour sessions.. you will find after a few hours you will make mistakes, hunger and bio breaks will slow/stop your group if you have one.

Assuming 24 hours to do all quest elite/BB.......
    3 hours per day and you should have elite/BB and all favor in about a 8 days
    5 hours per game session you can do it in 5 days
    6 hours and you are done in 4 days
    One big weekend of 10 hours/10 hours =, then follow up third day of 4-5 hours..... 3 DAYS

If you are on ARGO, hit me up! (BANGPOW) I will be glad to help or arrange a nice big long day!!!

Community Member

I'm not on Argo. From what I'm reading it looks like it would take me about a week per heroic past life. I think that's a mission for another day, I'll just keep working on Epic past lives for now.

I'm not on Argo. From what I'm reading it looks like it would take me about a week per heroic past life. I think that's a mission for another day, I'll just keep working on Epic past lives for now.
    Heroic life is about two weeks
    4 days to 10 then about a level a day

Epic life's can be about a week or a level a day

I play a bit every day, and these have been my averages
    Retired
    Of
    Sarlona

I generally go slow. I'm pretty meticulous about planning out all my gear for the entire life ahead of time, regearing each level as appropriate, and running every quest for bravery with no repeats.

My standard TR experience is spending 2 days planning the build and the gear, then 18 days from 1 to 20 for a total of just under 3 weeks. Each daily session has a different length; probably somewhere around 4-5 hours I'd guess. Here's my notes from the last time I tracked my progress so I knew what to expect:

Heroic Life Days (standard)
    3 : planning, TR, take level 2, gear up
    4 : take 4
    5 : take 6
    6 : runs 5s, take 7 (2 days)
    8 : take 8
    9 : take 9
    10: take 10
    12: runs 8s, take 11 (2 days)
    13: take 12
    14: take 13
    15: run 11s, take 14 (2 days)
    16: take 15
    17: take 16
    18: take 17
    19: take 18
    20: take 20

I start with 2 days of planning, then the third day I spend crafting every piece of gear needed for the life, doing the actual TR, eating daily xp tokens to get to 2, gearing up, ship buff, then run to Korthos and log out. Day 4 is the first day I step into a quest.

Each session ends with me taking a level, updating my gear, refreshing ship buffs, then parking the alt at the entrance of the first quest to run the next day. Some days are shorter or longer depending on how many quests there are in that level.

It's no coincidence that the 2-day levels just happen to match up with necropolis packs.

Community Member

My problem is that i'm not all that interested in the classes i'd be playing for heroics or getting them geared. I'm literally only interested in their past life feats (Sorc, FS, Fighter). So for me, it will be a chore, then once i'm done, i'll have to do it all over again on bard to get back to my preferred class.

Do the passive Epic Past Life feats work in heroic levels? Will I be getting bonus HP, AC, PRR in levels 1-19, or are they only active for lvl 20+?

I take about a month to go from 1-20, but I play 1-2 hours a day, so the estimate of 30 hours of questing is not that far off. Oh, I do use 20% or 30% xp potions and 200% slayer boosts most of the time.

Epic lives I can do in about 2-3 weeks... Seems to go bit faster.

I have found the best way for me is to do a heroic life, then 3-4 epic lives, then back to heroic. A couple good things about doing a single heroic life in between the epic lives is that it is a nice change of pace, AND it resets all the first-time bravery bonuses, and resets explorer/slayer areas (which is huge in my opinion). I also have multiple characters to switch it up even more (after 1 heroic, and 3 epic lives on my TWF evasion melee, I'll switch to my caster and do 1 heroic and 3 epic lives for him).

I definitely would not recommend that someone just run epic life after epic life after epic life, and then later go back and run heroic life after heroic life after heroic life or vice-versa.

Mix it up a little.
    Last edited by Thrudh; 11-07-2016 at 04:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

My problem is that i'm not all that interested in the classes i'd be playing for heroics or getting them geared. I'm literally only interested in their past life feats (Sorc, FS, Fighter). So for me, it will be a chore, then once i'm done, i'll have to do it all over again on bard to get back to my preferred class.

Do the passive Epic Past Life feats work in heroic levels? Will I be getting bonus HP, AC, PRR in levels 1-19, or are they only active for lvl 20+?
    The Epic Past Lifes do work in heroic, both active and passive.
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

The question is not how long does it take in hours and minutes, but if you have fun doing it.

If you enjoy playing a class it goes by in the blink of an eye, if you do not like the class it takes forever.

If you do not have fun, why are you playing?

I think the numbers this person is pulling out of thin air are based on very general rough estimates based on a few best case scenario situations and therefore are at best rather pie in the sky. Average 3K xp/min... OR MUCH HIGHER? That's not really a thing. Not if you take every single minute spent from landing on Korthos as a fresh level 1 to hitting Reincarnation Grove as a level 20... especially when you figure in earning a heart of wood which would be silly to buy since they are so easy to farm yet are rather expensive in the store.

Just to clarify though. If you are in a team of 6 warlocks who all have the next 24 hours to down redbulls and zerg quests, all VIPs, on a 20% bonus weekend, with 50% pots burning the whole time, then I can see where it might be possible to hit 20 in a single day. Albeit eyes bloodshot, passing out on your star wars sheets the moment your head hits the pillow without even bothering to put on your batman pajamas.

You're going to need to hit the trainer 19 times to level up, which means you have to physically run to one. You're going to need to put points into enhancements. You're going to need to hit the bank and dig stuff out of the extremely poorly designed TR cache. You're probably going to need to swap toons a few times for gear. You're going to need ship buffs. You're going to have to hit vendors to sell and restock. Unless you pay the people you play with to wait on you like servants, you're going to be waiting on other people from time to time. If you solo, you won't have to wait on others, but those best case scenario times go right out the window, and speaking of window, you won't be able to window farm the highest XP/min quests. Finally, you need to run from quest to quest, which takes time.

While theoretically you can do 1-20 in ~24 hours in a stars aligned best case scenario situation, realistically you're looking at 40-50 hours, and that's if you are pretty serious about staying on task. There's not that many people that play anymore so you are going to be soloing a lot even if you have an LFM up all the time. Also, if you are on the forums asking about how long a past life takes, you're not going to be flying through some of the high XP/min quests fast enough to make them high XP/min. Certainly not initially, and even when you get them down if you average in the times from past lives when you didn't know them well they aren't going to be all that stellar. That really applies to the whole game in fact. After dozens and dozens of past lives you'll be able to vendor, buff, and hit the trainer to grab a level on your way to the next quest while you assign enhancement points on the way. However, when you average in all the time spent looking through feats when you're just not quite sure which to take. When you average in all the time you spent getting lost on the way to the quest or trying to figure out what you are missing in a quest. When you average in those first few dozens lives, no matter how fast your best case scenario zerg becomes, you're definitely not going to average a day.

As a newer player, I'd say it could take you anywhere from 50-100 hours depending on what kind of groups you happen upon. Speaking from my experience, as a person that could pretty much draw a map of every quest from memory, complete with mob spawns, it usually takes me a couple weeks to hit 20. That's zerging pretty hard, and playing more than I should. That time goes up and up the more I grind though, as the grind makes me log in less and less. I might play a whole lot for my first week back after a long break from the game and knock out one life in a week, but the next life is certainly going to be 2 weeks, and the third is going to stall out 2-3 times before I finish, that's if I finish before needing another long break from the game. It takes me months, sometimes years to get over the horrific grind and force myself to log back in. Each time away is longer and has less chance I'll ever be back.

My advice to a newer player would be, find a better game. This game is old and to say it was dying would be too kind. However, if you're determined to play then the less you get caught up in the grind the better off you are. Most of the people left have been grinding for nearly a decade now, you're never going to catch them. Enjoy the game at your own pace, try to meet other newer players, and whenever you get bored with a build then go knock out a past life in something else.
    First Lives Matter!!!
    Give us a no reincarnation server!

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

3 weeks per heroic life. Because I quest between calls at work and often end up sitting in a quest for 20 minutes between fights if the phones are busy.

I hope that Turbine counts my quest times in their "how long do we think these quests take" measures because I'll make up for a couple of dozen zergers just by myself...
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude View Post
    I think the numbers this person is pulling out of thin air are based on very general rough estimates based on a few best case scenario situations and therefore are at best rather pie in the sky. Average 3K xp/min... OR MUCH HIGHER? That's not really a thing. Not if you take every single minute spent from landing on Korthos as a fresh level 1 to hitting Reincarnation Grove as a level 20... especially when you figure in earning a heart of wood which would be silly to buy since they are so easy to farm yet are rather expensive in the store.

Just to clarify though. If you are in a team of 6 warlocks who all have the next 24 hours to down redbulls and zerg quests, all VIPs, on a 20% bonus weekend, with 50% pots burning the whole time, then I can see where it might be possible to hit 20 in a single day. Albeit eyes bloodshot, passing out on your star wars sheets the moment your head hits the pillow without even bothering to put on your batman pajamas.

You're going to need to hit the trainer 19 times to level up, which means you have to physically run to one. You're going to need to put points into enhancements. You're going to need to hit the bank and dig stuff out of the extremely poorly designed TR cache. You're probably going to need to swap toons a few times for gear. You're going to need ship buffs. You're going to have to hit vendors to sell and restock. Unless you pay the people you play with to wait on you like servants, you're going to be waiting on other people from time to time. If you solo, you won't have to wait on others, but those best case scenario times go right out the window, and speaking of window, you won't be able to window farm the highest XP/min quests. Finally, you need to run from quest to quest, which takes time.

While theoretically you can do 1-20 in ~24 hours in a stars aligned best case scenario situation, realistically you're looking at 40-50 hours, and that's if you are pretty serious about staying on task. There's not that many people that play anymore so you are going to be soloing a lot even if you have an LFM up all the time. Also, if you are on the forums asking about how long a past life takes, you're not going to be flying through some of the high XP/min quests fast enough to make them high XP/min. Certainly not initially, and even when you get them down if you average in the times from past lives when you didn't know them well they aren't going to be all that stellar. That really applies to the whole game in fact. After dozens and dozens of past lives you'll be able to vendor, buff, and hit the trainer to grab a level on your way to the next quest while you assign enhancement points on the way. However, when you average in all the time spent looking through feats when you're just not quite sure which to take. When you average in all the time you spent getting lost on the way to the quest or trying to figure out what you are missing in a quest. When you average in those first few dozens lives, no matter how fast your best case scenario zerg becomes, you're definitely not going to average a day.

As a newer player, I'd say it could take you anywhere from 50-100 hours depending on what kind of groups you happen upon. Speaking from my experience, as a person that could pretty much draw a map of every quest from memory, complete with mob spawns, it usually takes me a couple weeks to hit 20. That's zerging pretty hard, and playing more than I should. That time goes up and up the more I grind though, as the grind makes me log in less and less. I might play a whole lot for my first week back after a long break from the game and knock out one life in a week, but the next life is certainly going to be 2 weeks, and the third is going to stall out 2-3 times before I finish, that's if I finish before needing another long break from the game. It takes me months, sometimes years to get over the horrific grind and force myself to log back in. Each time away is longer and has less chance I'll ever be back.

My advice to a newer player would be, find a better game. This game is old and to say it was dying would be too kind. However, if you're determined to play then the less you get caught up in the grind the better off you are. Most of the people left have been grinding for nearly a decade now, you're never going to catch them. Enjoy the game at your own pace, try to meet other newer players, and whenever you get bored with a build then go knock out a past life in something else.
    As has been mentioned (without link, tried to find it but couldn't) it's been done in 18 hours REAL TIME. That's 3.5k xp/min - REAL TIME, not just in quests. (and I think that might even have been on the old xp curve)

I'm not saying it's something that everybody should aspire to, but the way OP phrased his post it sounded (to me) like he wanted to get the leveling done as quickly as possible, and if that's the case, you can get to 20 a lot quicker by farming specific quests multiple times, than you can by running elite once and done... If you can stay sane all the way through.

Personally fastest I've done was a 4-20 on a 36 point build over a weekend with absolutely nothing else to do and a buddy duo'ing with me the entire time.
    -The mash on Argo
    In Soviet Russia Shroud trust in YOU!

As has been mentioned (without link, tried to find it but couldn't) it's been done in 18 hours REAL TIME. That's 3.5k xp/min - REAL TIME, not just in quests. (and I think that might even have been on the old xp curve)
    But that also means the old xp ransack mechanic, which offered far more xp.

If it really was using the old mechanics, they could window farm shadow crypt a dozen times. With the current quest ransack mechanic, you run out of useful xp in 3-4 runs.

XP potions can be purchased from Cannith Challenges. They are not the best but they are better than nothing.

Finding a partner (or two) speeds quests up a lot.

If you are strictly for the level, you will not do most adventures. Usually you will do Elite/Hard/Normal on the best XP adventures and move on.

The fastest I believe, like reported, is 18 hours. I know that it can also be done in a weekend: Friday (TR), Saturday and Sunday you play. This I believe requires an XP weekend (+ stuff mentioned earlier) but I could be wrong and takes about 20 hours + Fridays TR.

Personally watched a guy on Argo do multiple Heroic TR's in 2 weeks while he was on vacation from work. It was fun grouping with him though because he talked a lot to break up the monotony of the grind. "How's the weather" and stuff, nothing game related, except to Voice or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post
    They have been tweaking the game since I started and often I disagree with them. They focus on wrong stuff, over or under compensate and abandon too much stuff. Every once in awhile they get something right, if only temporarily.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude View Post

My advice to a new player would be to enjoy the 50-100 hours... Playing quests when you HAVEN'T memorized them is when the game is the most fun.

Don't zerg to 20 in a week, and get burned out like Chilldude and many others. If you dislike the grind, don't grind. You don't need tons of past lives to build a strong character.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vish View Post
    Heroic life is about two weeks
    4 days to 10 then about a level a day

Epic life's can be about a week or a level a day

I play a bit every day, and these have been my averages
    Yeah we play a couple of hours a day and 2 weeks to get to 20 seems about right. We play every dungeon once on Elite. Sometimes do Challenges, sometimes not. Sometimes we skip a few dungeons which are longer/harder if we arent playing powerful toons.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast