View Poll Results: Race of first DDO Character?

Voters
199. You may not vote on this poll
  • Human

75 37.69%
  • Elf

45 22.61%
  • Halfling

36 18.09%
  • Dwarf

27 13.57%
  • Drow

7 3.52%
  • Warforged

3 1.51%
  • Half Orc

2 1.01%
  • Half-Elf

4 2.01%
  • Gnome

0 0%
  • Purple Dragon Knight

0 0%
  • Morninglord

0 0%
  • Shadar-Kai

0 0%
  • Bladeforged

0 0%
  • Svirfneblin

0 0%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Race of your first DDO Character ever?

When you came to DDO which race did you pick for your first character?

My first was Larystessian Caravardian - Elf Wizard - 5th Lifer Morninglord Cleric/Lock now.
    Last edited by FranOhmsford; 11-06-2016 at 03:04 PM.

Dwarf fighter - was a bad plan, reborn as a dwarf cleric (ok, not exactly a better plan but..) and stayed dward for a few lives, then swapped over to half-elf then fell for the drow and never looked back
    (Ghallanda) Jumonis | Junomis | Jusimon | Jusomin | Jumosin | Jumison | Jisnomu

Halfling sorcerer. Dragon mark and all that. Of course I bungled up the feats, and spell selection majorly (also stats, turns out you don't use dex for anything important, who knew?). Was way back in the Haste/rage/hold person days, when fire/ice speced sorc was actually really great, and there were no prestiges.

Man I hate the changes they made with prestiges. Killed the feel of the character, and replaced it with power creep. (Air dance is nice, and slas do save spell points, but the casting slowness (sla cool downs, and casting speed sucks, and breaks the flow of the game), and elemental restrictions now just make them less pleasant to play).

I remember when the only way to kill a troll was with acid, or fire, and I was the designated troll finisher when playing Ataraxia explorers. Met a lot of great people then.

Still playing it after couple of reincarnations, now I am human rogue18/2arti, for past life. Kinda became wizard/rogue (or wizard/barb/artificer) player after the sorc prestige pass, and then switched to Repeater play style (Paladin14/rogue6, Arti8/ranger12, arti15/rogue5 and similar).

Female Elvish Paladin, man that was a difficult life.

I made enough XP to TR running level 13 quests and slayers.

I was far too weak (inexperienced) to do most quests over level 13.

Human Cleric, same as my first PnP character.

Halfling rogue. Still a halfling rogue lvl 30 dex based assassin. On Ghalanda where I seldom visit anymore though.
    Percivaul Dusol, BadRandall and Shortpact--The Silver Legion

Dang it Fran - you've made me all regretful. I forgot, but I actually deleted my first character years ago when I used to have PVP characters on every server so I could PVP anytime, in case a server had an empty brawl arena. Unfortunately, my original character was deleted then to make space for more PVP characters, something which saddens me deeply since I have some good memories of that rather short-lived character. Luckily, I still remember that he was an elven ranger on Ghallanda; mix between bows and two weapon fighting, and awful at both. Only made it to level 3, which took me a couple weeks to achieve at the time. :P Also, for some reason (don't know if this changed at some point) I remember being unable to see anything in the quest Misery's Peak - every was super dark at the climbing part and every time I tried to do it, I would fall and die. Not sure I ever beat the quest.

I still have my second character though - level 5 cleric on Khyber. Terrible build, but I enjoyed it back then He still has the Birthday Parrrty invitation from the 5th anniversary - I can't say my first character would have had much more than that, so I guess his disappearance was not a complete loss.

Good memories, but saddening to think that I deleted a precious memory for a one-use boring character

Community Member

human ranger, atm lvl 2.
    recently found him again on a server I don't play. He was wielding a scimitar and wearing a shield.

A majorly gimped halfling rogue/cleric. She didn't have any constitution, intelligence or strength so she was constantly burdened, died whenever a mob stepped on her foot and couldn't find the simplest of traps. I managed to level her all the way to level 10, mostly by shamelessly piking, before I had to admit that she was an utter failure and deleted her.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Human cleric made during headstart still have him almost a double completionist

Beware the Sleepeater

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Wh070aa View Post
    Halfling sorcerer. Dragon mark and all that. Of course I bungled up the feats, and spell selection majorly (also stats, turns out you don't use dex for anything important, who knew?). Was way back in the Haste/rage/hold person days, when fire/ice speced sorc was actually really great, and there were no prestiges.

Man I hate the changes they made with prestiges. Killed the feel of the character, and replaced it with power creep. (Air dance is nice, and slas do save spell points, but the casting slowness (sla cool downs, and casting speed sucks, and breaks the flow of the game), and elemental restrictions now just make them less pleasant to play).

I remember when the only way to kill a troll was with acid, or fire, and I was the designated troll finisher when playing Ataraxia explorers. Met a lot of great people then.

Still playing it after couple of reincarnations, now I am human rogue18/2arti, for past life. Kinda became wizard/rogue (or wizard/barb/artificer) player after the sorc prestige pass, and then switched to Repeater play style (Paladin14/rogue6, Arti8/ranger12, arti15/rogue5 and similar).
    I feel the same

Beware the Sleepeater

Protectorat- Warforged, 8 Fighter, 1 Cleric, 1 Mage. Left the game just after level 12 was released, and lost him due to changes in the game until I can afford to buy Warforged again.

It still annoys me that when I bought the game, which is now sold separately, Warforged were part of the deal when the original game was launched, even if the only way to play was a monthly subscription.
    Orsus

It does not matter who the strongest fighter is... just the last one standing in the end.

Warforged Cleric - because I had a Warforged cleric in our tabletop campaign at the time.
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

I'm truly gobsmacked by the massive lead Human has accumulated!

I said FIRST Character people, Not the character you built after being told in-game to reroll!

Who comes to a fantasy RPG with multiple races to choose from and picks Human for their first character?

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post

I said FIRST Character people, Not the character you built after being told in-game to reroll!

Who comes to a fantasy RPG with multiple races to choose from and picks Human for their first character?
    Sadly, my first first character ever was a Human Fighter.

Ik, r?

(We didn't have Half-Orcs yet. )
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies

Community Member

Cool Human 1st life

It makes sense that human is the 1st life. Many people start free to play and want to figure it all out and even if they want to play the game.

Since f2p only has Human, Dwarf, Elf, and Halfling. Elf has a low constitution and Halfling has low strength (50% -75% carrying capacity) and Halfling does not fit many builds (although best for several) and definitely not good for traditional melees. Harper is premium, so int builds are out. Also take into account, many people try out fighter (thinking that will be easy to figure out- ends up being a bad 1st life option because of no healing and very easy to mess up due to complex feat orders and attribute minimums (like 17 dex) for TWF, many prereqs for top 3 kensai, etc...). Also until a couple of years ago, barbarian and ranger were much less viable (prepass) and most builds requires multiclass to make work.

Iconics are totally out for Free to play, and even premium would not have originally.

That basically left Human or Dwarf for a likely races. Now consider on average, people are a little race and gender-centric (we tend to pick avatars that are similar to us, thus most likely our 1st character will be human and same gender). Later we realize that part of the fun is playing characters, alignments and even developing character indentities. Take a look at PChar bios, many people invest a lost writing these up even though the game does not really have a significant role play aspect (unless, of course , you and your group personally choses to do so).

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post

Horses before zebras, man. Human fighter here. Learn the basics of the game on the toon w/ the least variables.

Quote Originally Posted by Kragon View Post
    It still annoys me that when I bought the game, which is now sold separately, Warforged were part of the deal when the original game was launched, even if the only way to play was a monthly subscription.
    Easy fix man, just resubscribe like you did back in the day.

Halfling rogue. I always start with rogue, and a halfling most resembled the short-as-I-can-be look that she had in the previous game. Also, halflings are supposed to make great rogues right?

Anyways, she's now on life #4, halfling in all of them (now a barb!), although I'll have to switch it up eventually to get iconic past-lives. Eventually I plan to get back to a halfling-rogue, maybe after I hit completionist.

Elf Ranger, currently level 25 on Thelanis.
    Where is my GREATBOW???

First character, Elf ranger (bow build) did very poorly, I think I re-rolled her six times before taking her to cap. Second character created was a halfling rogue, but my main is a human cleric and I think she was the third one I created but the first to reach 20 cap.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Aelyrra - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast