Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up The Officially Unofficial DDO Wiki Thread

Hey folks, I have been helping (in a very small capacity) to update some of the images and bits and pieces on the wiki which are either old/out of date/not very good quality etc, so I decided to make a dedicated thread for it where others can also join in on this and see where we get to.

I know that the wiki has very specific ways of updating things which are rather complex so I will leave the adding of images to others who are more in the know about it but hopefully, as a community, we can get the wiki more updated

Things To Note

1. Try to make your images as big as possible, the folks editing the wiki can always make them smaller if it is required. Starting with small images is no good since they lack the quality.
    2. To take a screen shot simply press CTRL+P (while in-game) and it will save a full screen cap in to your My Documents folder under the folder Dungeons and Dragons Online, once you have that you can simply use MS Paint to crop the image so you only have the bit that is needed (press Windows Key+R and type "mspaint" without the quotes) or you can obviously use any other image manipulation software you are used to using if you have a preferred one.
    3. If this does take off then we might have to just post links to the images otherwise pages could take a long time to load.

Have at it folks and thanks to any and all who help! Every little thing helps a lot! (this post will probably be heavily updated etc once others have input on what is actually required etc but I thought I would get the ball rolling so to speak).

To help start this off I have gotten better images for the Robe of Shadow from Night Revels:

Stoner81.

nice pic! the robe looks good on him too--the hair matches some robe color highlights
    ROGUE Part QUATRE: Prove your Stealth Skills!

Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist), Naerfelka (farmer)

in the bowels of the C/A/S iTyrant Seas - Kraken Class

could use the 32x32 icon and orb pics. :P

Quote Originally Posted by UurlockYgmeov View Post
    could use the 32x32 icon and orb pics. :P
    I assume you mean the one from a hotbar or the inventory panel and whatever is looks like while selected in the orb thingy?

Stoner81.

Thumbs up Spell Usefulness

I've been meaning to find the time to work on this myself, but might as well spread the word. Last month I stumbled upon this useful page for listing the most useful spells of each class. it's mostly empty right now, but if we fill it in it could be a great asset.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Spell_usefulness
    • Zig Zag to avoid arrows, Fireballs, Fireball-tipped arrow, and arrow-tipped Fireballs.
    • That's not lag, it's just DDO trying to become turn-based again.
    • Kobold still hate you.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner81 View Post
    I assume you mean the one from a hotbar or the inventory panel and whatever is looks like while selected in the orb thingy?

Stoner81.
    Assuming they are different from any other icon or orb pic already on wiki. Image management is important to keep the wiki as responsive as possible, and there is at least one editor who is dedicated to removing duplicates and subbing links to existing pics.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

32x32 (ish)

Orb

I couldn't work out how to crop it properly so I figured just do the whole thing on plain black background which (I hope) will make things easier.

Stoner81.

32x32 (ish)

Orb

I couldn't work out how to crop it properly so I figured just do the whole thing on plain black background which (I hope) will make things easier.

Stoner81.
    We used to use the inside of the Crafting Hall doorway until Turbine 'fixed' it.

Now I just use the sky for background, and do my editing/cropping with paint.net.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post
    We used to use the inside of the Crafting Hall doorway until Turbine 'fixed' it.

Now I just use the sky for background, and do my editing/cropping with paint.net.
    To get a plain black background for stuff, I usually use the door to the airship showroom in the harbor. If you take a look at the Foil Hat page, that's what I used there.

Assuming they are different from any other icon or orb pic already on wiki. Image management is important to keep the wiki as responsive as possible, and there is at least one editor who is dedicated to removing duplicates and subbing links to existing pics.
    Either way the end result here should be that same in that images are either updated with better ones or any that are missing but already have images for can be added.

Fair enough I guess is a plain black background easy enough to work with for cropping it further or could even flood fill it to white to match the back ground of the wiki?

Stoner81.

The Hatchery
    2015 DDO Players Council

Something I've been thinking would be good would be multiple races & genders for armor pics. Most armor looks REALLY different on males and females of the same species, and some look different on, say, an elf and a dwarf (the Embrace of the Spider Queen on my sunburned female dwarf was... interesting, shall we say LOL)
    "Ignorance killed the cat, sir; curiosity was framed."
    Tripoint, C.J. Cherryh

Either way the end result here should be that same in that images are either updated with better ones or any that are missing but already have images for can be added.

Fair enough I guess is a plain black background easy enough to work with for cropping it further or could even flood fill it to white to match the back ground of the wiki?

Stoner81.

PS just works.

115x115 round and 32x32 icon

I did come across some really old instructions on taking screen shots (namely the Crafting Hall trick) so maybe those could do with an update? I'll have a look at Hayweird Foundry tonight or tomorrow and see about getting the map though no idea how to go about doing it other than piece it together lol! Also the Robe of Shadow images on the wiki are still very small it's very hard to make out the detail on it, I don't know if that was on purpose or not though so hopefully somebody could clarify

Stoner81.

I did come across some really old instructions on taking screen shots (namely the Crafting Hall trick) so maybe those could do with an update? I'll have a look at Hayweird Foundry tonight or tomorrow and see about getting the map though no idea how to go about doing it other than piece it together lol! Also the Robe of Shadow images on the wiki are still very small it's very hard to make out the detail on it, I don't know if that was on purpose or not though so hopefully somebody could clarify

Stoner81.
    click on the images. in order to help layout - they are thumbs. At least they should be.

Quote Originally Posted by UurlockYgmeov View Post
    click on the images. in order to help layout - they are thumbs. At least they should be.
    Ah now that makes sense thanks

Stoner81.

Do we have a hit/wish list somewhere for what picture media the wiki needs?
    Nope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    It was causing server-crippling lag due to an issue with how much kobolds hate boxes.

I got a wish list... about 7(?) of the Legendary Tempest Spine/Legendary HoX armors/docents have no images. Should I list them? Also many of the TOEE armors have no pics still, Energized Leather for instance. Smoldering Leather isn't even listed in the Light Armor table although Epic Smoldering Leather is there.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Aelyrra - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Quote Originally Posted by Bzzzt View Post
    Do we have a hit/wish list somewhere for what picture media the wiki needs?
    there are lists, massive lists and I will provide links shortly. thank you for asking!

http://ddowiki.com/page/Special:What...ile:No_pic.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    I got a wish list... about 7(?) of the Legendary Tempest Spine/Legendary HoX armors/docents have no images. Should I list them? Also many of the TOEE armors have no pics still, Energized Leather for instance. Smoldering Leather isn't even listed in the Light Armor table although Epic Smoldering Leather is there.
    ^^^this is a great example.

SO let's keep the seasonal 'The Night Revels' theme going:

All missing image, most missing most information. Will mark with a when Done.

Orchard of the Macabre (heroic)

Orchard of the Macabre (epic)

Also something that has bugged me for sometime on the wiki: Under DDO Store : Cosmetic Gear, Outfits - neither Shadowfell Regalia nor Swashbuckling Outfit have images despite Swashbuckling Outfit at least indicating it has a pic. Broken link maybe?
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Aelyrra - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast