Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Handwraps as weapons now break with ooze damage

I've already reported this as a bug.

Be warned that any handwraps (even those typed as Cloth) now will break as badly as any other weapon if you attack oozes.

Handwraps should have an inherent Everbright property since unarmed fighting is the default for Shintao Monks and using any other weapon isn't a practical option.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more

well, that cloth is yummy to oozes too!
    ROGUE Part QUATRE: Prove your Stealth Skills!

Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist), Naerfelka (farmer)

I logged in just to say this is really laughable.

The Hatchery
    2014 & 2016 DDO Players Council

Lol...
    <seemingly offensive Army of Darkness quote>

“Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

I did think the 'doubling' of durability was going to be nowhere near enough. You need a factor of 10 to 20 to make it even close to not being a pretty significant and very noticeable nerf to all unarmed monks.

Can everbright even go on wraps, has anyone tried?

I hope so, at least then the nerf is limited to DPS loss (because that's one less damaging effect that can fit on the wraps, as well as weapon swap time), an inventory slot, and a bunch of bank slots to store the various ML everbright wraps you'll eventually want to accumulate.

I mean.. its thematically correct - oozes DO eat cloth, but... /sigh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by Amundir View Post
    My words are great. Even out of context.

Quote Originally Posted by dunklezhan View Post
    Can everbright even go on wraps, has anyone tried?
    Wraps are considered THF melee weapons for crafting purposes, so yes.

Quote Originally Posted by TeacherSyn View Post
    I've already reported this as a bug.

Be warned that any handwraps (even those typed as Cloth) now will break as badly as any other weapon if you attack oozes.

Handwraps should have an inherent Everbright property since unarmed fighting is the default for Shintao Monks and using any other weapon isn't a practical option.

ugh. that should have been one of the first thing they dealt with when reworking the wraps.
    doubling durability.. pft that's just bs..
    "Handwraps suffer no damage per round to rusting or acid, making the class a perfect fighter of oozes (which will not split apart from a Monk's bludgeoning attacks) and rust monsters, to name a few. "

They should have automatically everbrighted a variety of older named handwraps.
    Last edited by JOTMON; 10-20-2016 at 02:03 PM.
    Jotmon -
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200
    Argo-Jotmon(HC 28/42,EC 26/36,IC 17/15,RC 14/30), Jotlock(HC 38/42,EC 36/36,IC 15/15, RC 0/30)..
    and several once viable raiding alts dumped into the packmule stables..

Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Too bad I 'purchased' maximum character slots for my account, SSG has now chosen to cater the giveaway perks to benefit multiple freebie accounts instead of the paying customers.

Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post

They should have been automatically everbrighted
    So many ways they could have done this: a low hanging fruit enhancement, or a passive in a core, or something like that would have done, although still far from ideal. I mean, not full everbright, cos no blinding clickie etc, but something.
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge

Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post
    They should have been automatically everbrighted
    It would be nice if they added it to the first Shintao core.

Community Manager

Handwraps are now vulnerable to ooze damage, indeed. This is working as intended.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Handwraps are now vulnerable to ooze damage, indeed. This is working as intended.
    Yes, we know. I think the issue is we don't understand why that's a desirable change.

Although I understand that its correct by lore that oozes should be able to dissolve cloth, I don't understand why it's a design goal to correct it after all this time. Oozes were in before monks.

This destroys handwraps far far more rapidly than normal weapons because of the class design.

It's very discouraging. The only option is to make crafted handwraps with damage that will be horribly less than others.

(Too bad my fire damage doesn't kill trolls from the thread as well as it does from the game, either. Glad I don't play with guys like these.)

There's at least a workaround, but the changes created a gravely negative one.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide

Not a change for the betterment of the game, IMHO.

The Monk Pass was already lackluster - and this just makes Monk even more unappealing. At least in my opinion, which matters little I realize. But still... very discouraged by the changes I was hoping would help me dust off my Monk with glee. Now, it's back on the shelf with gusto.
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Community Member

Whether this is WAI, or a fix of a bug, or whatever is immaterial.
    Monks have always before been able to attack anything without regard to durability concerns.
    This is a nerf, and a nerf to handwrap monks who are already near the bottom of the melee food chain. Also, are there any named handwraps with everbright? Do monks have item defense in any of their lines?

Quote Originally Posted by TeacherSyn View Post
    This destroys handwraps far far more rapidly than normal weapons because of the class design.

It's very discouraging. The only option is to make crafted handwraps with damage that will be horribly less than others.

(Too bad my fire damage doesn't kill trolls from the thread as well as it does from the game, either. Glad I don't play with guys like these.)

There's at least a workaround, but the changes created a gravely negative one.
    And it takes 250 bound Cannith crafting skill to make Everbright wraps. 400 skill for unbound.

What new character is going to have these?

/Shaking my head.

I have been waiting for the monk pass for *a long time.* I knocked out a lot of past lives on my "monk toon" in anticipation of E/TRing him back into his intended class (lots of robes, hand wraps, shurikens, WIS tome, etc.)

The update was not bad, but there is nothing that really jumped out at me as making my monk unique. Other than martial art animations, what can my monk do now that another class cannot do better?

I was not happy with the small bump to hand wrap durability and hardness, and now this.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ValariusK View Post
    Monks have always before been able to attack anything without regard to durability concerns.
    This is a nerf, and a nerf to handwrap monks who are already near the bottom of the melee food chain. Also, are there any named handwraps with everbright? Do monks have item defense in any of their lines?
    This is a very bad change. Now monks will act like Warforged, & run when they see an ooze. Time to TR my monk into something useful. Please revert this. It does nothing for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by ValariusK View Post
    Not quite true. Pre-33 handwraps did deteriorate but at a much slower rate than weapons. Deaths would also damage them as anything else. The Everbright property is rarely, if ever seen on wraps over several loot prefix/suffix changes. And no, no item defense, which only a few classes have in any case.

A new player (very likely to fight lots of oozes in early play) will have to know a high-level crafter (400) to make even a simple Everbright pair, load their inventory with disposable ones, or fight without any wraps for now. Vets might have some old stashes with a pair.

And before anyone says that you don't see many oozes and rust monsters in high-end content, I will remind you that you must complete "Creeping Death" (many, many oozes) to flag for Legendary Shroud, whose end-fight spawns rust monsters. Same for Legendary Tempest's Spine and their rust monsters.

even worse. it was a conscious decision to put them in the state they are in currently..
    this is a big punishment change to monks..

don't forget to go back and rework named handwraps..

Things like stone dust handwraps should be much more resistant to ooze damage.
    ~Ooze Acid (Ex) The creature secretes a digestive acid that dissolves organic material and metal quickly, but does not affect stone.~
    Last edited by JOTMON; 10-20-2016 at 02:02 PM.
    Jotmon -
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200
    Argo-Jotmon(HC 28/42,EC 26/36,IC 17/15,RC 14/30), Jotlock(HC 38/42,EC 36/36,IC 15/15, RC 0/30)..
    and several once viable raiding alts dumped into the packmule stables..

Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Too bad I 'purchased' maximum character slots for my account, SSG has now chosen to cater the giveaway perks to benefit multiple freebie accounts instead of the paying customers.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast