Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Greantun View Post
    Batman: Arkham Underworld
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocomajobo View Post
    Interesting. Now I know, thanks!
    "... none but ourselves can free the mind." - Marcus Garvey, 1937

Community Member

DDO is a good game, with a strong leader in their corporate environment and some changes of direction it could probably grow instead of languishing. Runescape is an old MMO that has grown over time, Age of Conan is said to be having a resurgence. you could even say that people familair with the genre are starting to realize that MMO's don't have to fade away inevitably. That when the game company shows renewed conviction in their product it can actually have a resurgence. creating a new MMO and fostering a playerbase is expensive, updating the engine of an existing MMO and telling people it's hear to say and for a long time can potentially re-sell your MMO to people who may have already tried it. DDO is almost a perfect candidate for something like this, because it has a lot going for it already. well I posted a thread about it before seeing this https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...nescape-to-DDO

it's not meant to slam DDO but to point at what some of the other games have done and how they have faired doing it.

Mr. Severline have you considered that DDO might be the perfect MMO to be the first MMO with VR support? you already have FPS elements and the right kind of modular UI for VR. just need to put models in for weapons and hands in FPS mode. and maybe a graphics engine overhaul at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Knobull View Post
    Interesting. Now I know, thanks!
    Steve Howe was voted "Best Overall Guitarist" in Guitar Player magazine five years in a row (1977–1981) and in 1981 was the first rock guitar player inducted into the Guitar Player Hall of Fame.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thar View Post
    The only game that compared was the original neverwinter nights. I played on a customized Krynn server that was amazing. The gamemasters were a bit overcontrolling (ie my friend had stuff removed from a gamemaster that didn't think his character should have. They were gifts from Roleplaying with other players some of whom were other GMs.) The world had some amazing detail and customization done to it possible through that game engine. if only it wasn't based upon a private server, it might still exist today.
    Crotchety old man time...The original Neverwinter Nights was built upon the old SSI goldbox game engine and ran on AOL. There were no private servers. You are thinking of the reboot of Neverwinter Nights made by Bioware.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    Thanks for the good words about DDO!

As we outlined in the Producer's Letter, we have some exciting plans for DDO both in the near term and the longer term. With some expanded art capabilities and resources returning from helping out with the launch of BAU, we should have some cool things coming up. Assault on the Slave Lords is looking good, and we are also furiously working on the update to Cannith Crafting.

Sev~
    Thank you, Sev for taking time out from what I can only imagine is a very hectic schedule given the changes at Turbine. Good to hear that some of the resources from BAU came back to DDO.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by duntduntduuun View Post
    DDO is a good game, with a strong leader in their corporate environment and some changes of direction it could probably grow instead of languishing. Runescape is an old MMO that has grown over time
    Runescape doesn't have a separate publisher like Atari / WB. When you get a big publisher like that they bring the big bucks but they also bring the big control. Like the ability to pull resources (money) from the game to try to make something stupid like a MOBA. If that hadn't happened, DDO might have had a chance.

Runescape's developer is also its publisher so they have more control.

I miss pre-MOTU DDO. The game was outstanding back then, back when there was enough content at endgame to reward striving for excellence.

The mass obsoletion of the old endgame content that came with MOTU will be remembered with hindsight as the moment DDO started to die.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Community Member

As we outlined in the Producer's Letter, we have some exciting plans for DDO both in the near term and the longer term. With some expanded art capabilities and resources returning from helping out with the launch of BAU, we should have some cool things coming up. Assault on the Slave Lords is looking good, and we are also furiously working on the update to Cannith Crafting.

Sev~
    i like this game and i appreciate what the team is doing to make it better and add fun.

I guess my concern is that wb games doesn't have too much interest in ddo and this last set of layoffs seems does concern me more than in the past. It seems like the game is in winding down mode and clearly no longer strategic to wb. I would feel better about spending money on tp if there was a policy in place in the event the game is shut down like a prorated refund based on the date of purchase and date closure is announced. At. Some point your bosses will decide not to renew the d&d license and then there is a lot doubt the game could stay open even in maintenance mode due to the huge amounts of lawyer **** involved with licensing. With some of the older mmos that had a sort of revival there was no shadow hanging over the product about what the corporate overlords might do.

so i will keep spending on the game which I really love, but I will make my purchases with the next few months in mind rather than the next few years which means I will be spending less.

Community Member AnEvenNewerNoob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    I miss pre-MOTU DDO. The game was outstanding back then, back when there was enough content at endgame to reward striving for excellence.

The mass obsoletion of the old endgame content that came with MOTU will be remembered with hindsight as the moment DDO started to die.
    Rose colored glasses. pre-MOTU DDO was incredibly boring at end game because there were only a handful of raids and epic quests (which were also on a timer!) to do.

You're romanticizing the past.

Sev~
    I don't want to come across as "tweaking" anyone, but I find it utterly ironic that DDO's major pushes have been to resurrect the golden oldies of D&D.

Not upset, mind you. Really happy that the classic stuff is getting integrated. Too bad we can't have Grayhawk as a world...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnEvenNewerNoob View Post
    Rose colored glasses. pre-MOTU DDO was incredibly boring at end game because there were only a handful of raids and epic quests (which were also on a timer!) to do.

You're romanticizing the past.
    Agreed and the old epics became incredibly easy I would say relatively easier than the end game stuff today. Everything was orderly and predictable if you had the right party.

Sev~
    I like seeing "expanded art capabilities and resources".
    Ghallanda: Save the newbie, save the world.

Quote Originally Posted by dunklezhan View Post
    You sir, are not wrong. In fact, that's an ad campaign right there.

If they could just push a graphics overhaul (I know they can't) and a bug pass (I'm sure they can, its just a question of priorities) and then hit the right tone with an advertising blitz, DDO could be resurrected like that in my opinion purely on the strength of that uniqueness. But if they did those things and didn't get that advertising just right, it would totally sink the ship. You'd have to have sunk everything into it to get something of the right scale. Being from the UK, where collectively we've already decided to take one massive risk and head off into the unknown already this year, I'm not sure I can take another and retain my sanity.
    Agreed , though there is a rumour that that boat sailed a looooong time ago.

glad to hear of more UK players around though.
    TYRS PALADIUM.....Officer. If you think there must be more to the game than pugging, come on and joinTYRS! Willibold Fighter/Wilibold monk /Tooflower monkftr/rogue /Hesteban fvs /Machiavehli druid/ Commabayou bard /Greenbolts ranger/Dramoh arti /Dragbat bard /Covemonster Paladin/A Pherzackerly wizard/Asimovsbayne barb/Pardoner/Cottelettedporc cleric/ftr /

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    so i will keep spending on the game which I really love, but I will make my purchases with the next few months in mind rather than the next few years which means I will be spending less.
    We are planning out the future of DDO in years, and discussing the possibility of an expansion near the end of 2017. Cool things are coming.

Sev~

Community Member

We are planning out the future of DDO in years, and discussing the possibility of an expansion near the end of 2017. Cool things are coming.

Sev~
    Thank you that is reassuring to hear!

Sev~
    Glad you finally mentioned this in public. Been biting my tongue til its raw.
    Leader - Legion of Eberron (Cannith)
    Loromir
    Baldomir
    Weyoun
    Among others

Community Member AnEvenNewerNoob's Avatar

Expansion more like MOTU and less like Shadowfell hopefully!

Sev~
    Thank you so much for letting us know!! I will continue my VIP, as I have all along.
    /happy dance

Default Awesome news!

Sev~
    Thank you for sharing!

Now, if only there were some way to have a triple-bonus points sale to capitalize on this wave of euphoria. Hmm....
    "When asked if the developers hate the players, as they make so many challenging jumping puzzles, their response was that they have what they consider a “… normal amount of contempt for the players.” This is good. A dungeon master should always nurse a healthy contempt for his or her players."

Sev~
    Expansion... woooooo
    Member of "Guild of the Black Dragons" & "Swords of the Light" on Sarlona. Proud "Last" member of Caffeine - we aint stragicially savy.
    Kilthar-Tharr-Delkanthalus-Carissa-Mirasina-Ktara-Imara-Thistle-Tharissa-Robothar-Minithar-Miriella-Tharnessa-Tharisa

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast