Default I need advice on my 1st heroic reincarnation

As the title said, I am about to do my first heroic reincarnation. Currently, I am a 28 pt. S&B paladin and took unyielding sentinel as my epic destiny (4th tier only). I only have +2 tomes str and cha applied on my toon. What would be the ideal 2nd life for me? Would it be difficult for me if I go caster? Or should I stick with melee?

2015 DDO Players Council Nuclear_Elvis's Avatar

Default Fork in the Road

The 2 paths you can either take:
    - progressive stacks of past lives to support your favorite playing style (i.e. lots of melee past lives or lots of successive caster past lives)
    or
    - ensure you take something different for Completionist, if that's your goal.

Consider this, if Completionist is your goal:
    - The 1st and 2nd heroic lives are the shortest, least XP required compared to the 3rd life and beyond with the 100% XP penalty. I give this same advice to all players trying to continue their march to Completionist: play your least favorite Class in the 2nd life, because you'll spend less time in it.

And guess what? You may learn to love it. My least favorite was Favored Soul at the time, so I went FVS my 2nd life, but my warforged FVS turned out to be a quite fun melee w/healing, and I only took it to 20 so I was not worried about the weakness it posed for Epics. Which, leads to another consideration, whether the 2nd life will be a sprint to 20+ and TR immediately, or if you intend to go to 30 at least 1-3 times and get some Epic Past Life/stances under your belt.

Having said all of this, if you simply want to "sprint" and get to level 20 again, fast as possible, make a Dwarf Barbarian, hands down. Barbarian is literally the sprinting Class, with inherent Feat that enables you to run faster in quests (+10%), and because it is durable and has high DPS, you're not getting killed as easily and having to spend additional time redoing a quest.

Now, here's another option: Rogue/Mechanic (pure to 20), simply to open up your vision as to what is inside each dungeon. Every player in DDO, even if not intent of being Completionist, should be a pure Rogue for at least one heroic run, if not all the way to 30, because then you get to see all Secret Doors, Open Locked doors, Open Locked chests, etc., and you get to fully experience each dungeon regardless if solo (and it doesn't hurt to start to understand more fully where each trap and trap box are in dungeons). Many theories on "best" Rogue/Mechanic, or Rogue/Acrobat is 2nd best, and Rogue/Assassin a distant 3rd in terms of DPS and survivability.

Regardless, good luck to you on your TR.
    Kyll - Guild leader of Your Part Time Guild on Wayfinder server.
    -- Your Part Time Guild has over 750+ Guild Members!

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclear_Elvis View Post
    The 2 paths you can either take:
    - progressive stacks of past lives to support your favorite playing style (i.e. lots of melee past lives or lots of successive caster past lives)
    or
    - ensure you take something different for Completionist, if that's your goal.

Consider this, if Completionist is your goal:
    - The 1st and 2nd heroic lives are the shortest, least XP required compared to the 3rd life and beyond with the 100% XP penalty. I give this same advice to all players trying to continue their march to Completionist: play your least favorite Class in the 2nd life, because you'll spend less time in it.

And guess what? You may learn to love it. My least favorite was Favored Soul at the time, so I went FVS my 2nd life, but my warforged FVS turned out to be a quite fun melee w/healing, and I only took it to 20 so I was not worried about the weakness it posed for Epics. Which, leads to another consideration, whether the 2nd life will be a sprint to 20+ and TR immediately, or if you intend to go to 30 at least 1-3 times and get some Epic Past Life/stances under your belt.

Having said all of this, if you simply want to "sprint" and get to level 20 again, fast as possible, make a Dwarf Barbarian, hands down. Barbarian is literally the sprinting Class, with inherent Feat that enables you to run faster in quests (+10%), and because it is durable and has high DPS, you're not getting killed as easily and having to spend additional time redoing a quest.

Now, here's another option: Rogue/Mechanic (pure to 20), simply to open up your vision as to what is inside each dungeon. Every player in DDO, even if not intent of being Completionist, should be a pure Rogue for at least one heroic run, if not all the way to 30, because then you get to see all Secret Doors, Open Locked doors, Open Locked chests, etc., and you get to fully experience each dungeon regardless if solo (and it doesn't hurt to start to understand more fully where each trap and trap box are in dungeons). Many theories on "best" Rogue/Mechanic, or Rogue/Acrobat is 2nd best, and Rogue/Assassin a distant 3rd in terms of DPS and survivability.

Regardless, good luck to you on your TR.
    Solid advice. Thanks for the info. Im still trying to decide which path I will take but your reply helps in narrowing it down.

If that is the only character you have played then you should try something completely different.

Different classes gives you a totally different experience when you play DDO. The advice to try a rogue mechanic is very good, with the rogue skills you will see things you never knew where there with your paladin.

The only thing that matters is that you must ofc enjoy playing your character

Uber Completionist

Quote Originally Posted by Krewl View Post
    Solid advice. Thanks for the info. Im still trying to decide which path I will take but your reply helps in narrowing it down.

Its best to decide what your goal is before you TR.

If you're heading for Coempletionist there are optimum orderss of lclasses to take, or as already been said, get the life you like least out of the way whilst on a second life (Monk was ny least favourite personally). Once you have Completionist are you aiming for a particular class, if so will you add multiple Epic, Iconic or Heroic lives?

Of course you might just be playiing for fun, in which case just choose anything.

You mentioned Caster - go for it. You wont be an awesome uber DC caster, but if you're having fun so what. Also, theres so much power creep
    in the game now that lack off PLs in Heroics wont matter as you can just use the AH to buy 'win' by the bucket load.

My best advice is just choose the class you want to try and go and have fun whilst you can because all too soon you'll get caught up in the endless cap, TR, cap loop.
    Corazonroto

The Spellswords - Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by Krewl View Post
    As the title said, I am about to do my first heroic reincarnation. Currently, I am a 28 pt. S&B paladin and took unyielding sentinel as my epic destiny (4th tier only). I only have +2 tomes str and cha applied on my toon. What would be the ideal 2nd life for me? Would it be difficult for me if I go caster? Or should I stick with melee?
    At what level are you now? Because it might be better to do an epic reincarnation from 30 to 20 and then a heroic reincarnation from 20 to 1 for two past life boni.

On the question what to do next: The paladin past live gives you a bonus to healing amplification any self-healing fleshy character benefits from (Anything but Undead/Warforged/Bladeforged)
    If you want to do a caster life I would stick to Warlock, all the other casters need a lot of gear farming. If you want to do a melee life but with a different playstyle make a pure barb (Zoda or Redsonja style). Barb is the class that benefits most from your paladin past life(s) AFAIK and the Barbarian pastlife bonus (more Hitpoints) is equaly useful for everything you do later. If you want to do a trapper life mechanic is great, but farm/buy a few good crossbows before you TR.
    BowHealer - The "Healer with legendary CC"-project: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...h-legendary-CC
    The Dungeons and Dragons Webcomic THE ORDER OF THE STICK BY RICH BURLEW
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/ootscast.html

Any advice that does not include, "Do what you will enjoy," is advice you should ignore.

I have 3 of every heroic life and am working on 3 of every epic life and there is nothing worse than playing a build you do not like. That does not mean you should not try something new. If you want to try a caster then try a caster. But make the choice because you want to do it, not because one of us tells you to do so.

You ask about tomes. Tomes are over rated. A max tome of +8 is only going to be a 4 point difference in DC or hit points or whatever. That is not entirely trivial but it will not stop you from being successful with a build if you do not have it.

Some forumite will take exception to what I've said and post some sort of math to prove I'm wrong. If you insist on running every quest on epic elite they will be right. However, you will find that without tomes you can do just fine in epic normal and epic hard content. If you want to run epic elite just group with others. You will survive, you will contribute at least some, and -- if you are not stupid -- you will help the group to succeed.

But, the top advice anyone should give you is to pick a character that you want to play -- whatever that happens to be.

Community Member

Do Bard.

You will enjoy it.

And don't go Bard Swashbuckler, it's dull.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiirix View Post
    At what level are you now? Because it might be better to do an epic reincarnation from 30 to 20 and then a heroic reincarnation from 20 to 1 for two past life boni.
    I second this! Epic past life feats can be used in Heroics from level 1 which is one of the many reason they are so good above all though play something you enjoy which is hard to know since you haven't played a lot yet As for actual recommendations I would suggest Paladin (useful past life for all later lives) or Barbarian (+10 HP per past life which isn't much but at 3 lives it's +30 which is the same as Greater False Life).

Stoner81.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by VinceWhirlwind View Post
    And don't go Bard Swashbuckler, it's dull.
    And Warfreezer or Song-nuker no? Really? 8)

/roll d14

1 Artificer
    2 Barbarian
    3 Bard
    4 Cleric
    5 Druid
    6 Favored Soul
    7 Fighter
    8 Monk
    9 Paladin
    10 Ranger
    11 Rogue
    12 Sorcerer
    13 Warlock
    14 Wizard

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfo View Post
    And Warfreezer or Song-nuker no? Really? 8)
    Haven't tried the song nuker yet, only the other two.
    Swashbuckler just wasn't much fun, but the war-freezer has been great fun.
    I'm in a quest and up ahead I see something like an Fire Elemental, and I'm like those seagulls in Finding Nemo, Mine! Mine! Mine! So I can freeze it. Hilarious.

I've played most classes/enhancement trees now.

Paladin is good because you are durable. You have to *want* to play Lawful Good though.
    Barbarian also durable. I tend try to talk like Conan when playing the Barbarian. "Me going left".
    Fighter too, but a bit bland. Make up for it by equipping some unusual weapons or something.
    Bard is just plain entertaining, and very strong.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    /roll d14

1 Artificer
    2 Barbarian
    3 Bard
    4 Cleric
    5 Druid
    6 Favored Soul
    7 Fighter
    8 Monk
    9 Paladin
    10 Ranger
    11 Rogue
    12 Sorcerer
    13 Warlock
    14 Wizard
    Does anyone keep the same class(es) or is that just dumb?

Quote Originally Posted by URjustSOL View Post
    Does anyone keep the same class(es) or is that just dumb?
    Sorry but I don't understand your question for me to help you *scratches head*.

Stoner81.

Lots of people keep the same class.

There are perks to accumulating past lives in different classes. In some cases the perk has little or no value to the character you want to play. For example, if I play a melee character with no offensive spell abilities it really doesn't matter if I have past lives that increase spell DC.

The main reason to have past lives is to reach Completionist. Completionist is a feat that is unlocked when you have at least 1 past life in every class. If selected (it becomes available to you at L3) the Completionist feat grants +2 to every stat (STR, DEX, etc.).

I run 1 Completionist and that is my main character.

I also run characters that will are unlikely to be Completionists. I have a Wizard character that is only interested in past lives that increase hit points (Barbarian), spell penetration (Wizard and Favored Soul), spell DC (Cleric and Sorcerer), MRR (Warlock) and healing amp (Paladin). Each of those provides a specific advantage to the Wizard character.

I run another character that is just a melee build. He is working on past lives in Monk, Fighter, Barbarian, and Paladin because those affect melee combat the most.

I run a fourth character that is a rogue. He is working on Monk, Fighter and Rogue past lives and dabbling in the idea of grabbing Paladin and Barbarian past lives (but unlikely).

So there are reasons beyond just experiencing different character classes.

Certainly there is no reason to play more of them than just the one you happen to like. The game is not about playing every class, it is about playing a character that fits you and that you like to play.

If that is one class and always one class then that is what you should do.

Community Member

Thanks bak, that explains a lot. Unfortunately, I'm so casual I don't have my first lvl 20 yet. Resetting to 1 and playing it all over again seems like so much,,, work,