Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kebtid View Post
    Does mrr affect untyped damage at all?
    I would need something that actually has MRR to test that, lol.
    I think deathknights in MoD had that for a while, but seems like they removed it again (...guess when they nerfed MoD).
    There are plenty mobs with resistances, but I can't remember one that has yellow numbers on every spellpower type.

In any case I don't think Ruin would be effected even by MRR, since it already bypasses everything anyway.
    Thelanis - Ethforged - Etherar - Fjirty --- Mitis Mors
    Ghallanda - Ethrayne - Ethryne --- Omnipresence
    Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKVn...wLuzB2Q/videos

Quote Originally Posted by LagMonsterrrrrr View Post
    This is easy to fix, just make impossible to use ranged weps or spells while jumping or moving.

Balance is done.
    Nah, just invite a monk type to the party. Problem solved.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

This is easy to fix, just make impossible to use ranged weps or spells while jumping or moving.

Balance is done.
    But that would make the mobile casting feat totally useless . Not fair. Think of all the people that use this feat.
    Thelanis - Ethforged - Etherar - Fjirty --- Mitis Mors
    Ghallanda - Ethrayne - Ethryne --- Omnipresence
    Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKVn...wLuzB2Q/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    [...]
    In any case I don't think Ruin would be effected even by MRR, since it already bypasses everything anyway.
    But ruin costs 75 base spell points opportunity cost, which swings do not.

Community Member

Oh yeah ruin, it should cost 500 sp. Gruin should cost 1000sp.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    But that would make the mobile casting feat totally useless . Not fair. Think of all the people that use this feat.
    Better to make 1 feat useless than all melee classes.

The attack of the umber hulk was unexpected. Earth Glide is their movement. Confusion is their first attack.
    So, its an ambush of 5-12 umber hulks. I prefer to learn the quests without a walk through.
    DEVs did a good job surprising me. I did it on EE the first time through, with a full six people (full dungeon scaling).
    After I died several times, we called out to each other, "Umber Hulk, RUN!!!"

Fun, fun, fun WOOT

Oh yeah ruin, it should cost 500 sp. Gruin should cost 1000sp.
    What is a typical caster maximum spell power? Around 3000sp at cap?

So, according to your suggestion, Ruin can only be cast 6 times, or Greater Ruin for 3 times.

It's probably not enough to kill even one thrash monster at Legendary Elite, and then the caster sits on his/her butt doing nothing.

Do you want such a piker in your groups?

Community Member

Group? Isn't it a solo game?

Group? Isn't it a solo game?
    I don't know which plane or planet you are from, but DDO starts out to be a group only game February 2006.
    The motto at that time was "Friends do not let friends solo".

It is the benevolent developers who later on allowed solo people to complete dungeons with dungeon scaling, easy self healing and healing hirelings.

Honestly, I think the pendulum has swung too far into the solo side and needs to swing back to the group territory for more balancing.
    Last edited by Tyrande; 05-19-2016 at 08:36 AM. Reason: friends don't let friends solo

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    There are abilities on both the NPC and PC side that do not have Saves, these are neither bad or lame design - The entire Power Word line, Most Ray Spells and even Magic Missiles.

Bad or Lame design would be an ability that has no Defense. Or one of my pet peeves - Beholder Anti-Magic that is suppose to suppress all magic (Buffs, equipment and Weapons) but instead simply acts as a Mass Dispel of buffs.

Now if the Umberhulk's stun ability is supposed to have a Save then by all means I want the development team to make sure the Save part is working. However, if it is simply that the Save is really high then unless it is something unreasonable like requiring 100 at Heroic level, I don't want them to adjust it.
    But rays can be avoided, and magic missile has its shield spell.

What I dislike is that facing away from the beast seems to offer no protection, nor does being invisible. I realize now that there may very well be some protections that function against the attack, but as I recall with the pen and paper Umber Hulk, avoiding the gaze was sufficient to avoid the effect, and in addition they are described as slow, which the ones in DDO do not seem to be.

Community Member

Because wait 2 hours for a healer is cool, right?

Community Member

In all honesty, if the ammount of selfheal we had was nerfed i personally would have apsolutely nothing to play my fsoul alt and act as healer.
    Game spoiled us to much, made clerics/fsouls irrelevant and the trees of those 2 classes represent that as well (from a divine caster perspective with fsoul being imho behind cleric as divine spellcaster)

Even back during that time the wait 2 hours for a cleric/bard was not needed and was an exaggeration. Sure a cleric made running quests a bit safer, but real tactics also helped to reduce in coming damage. Groups still could complete quests at the highest difficulty without them.

Today, there are even more classes with abilities to heal Artificer/Favored Soul/Druid.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by 5chinoble View Post
    agreed

game is far far far far far..... too easy now

bring back tactics to the game... there was a time where we woudlnt run STK unless we had magic missile and a shield wall

or shroud unless we had a dedicated crystal shooter

ToD without a dedicated kiter

dont go into the PoP vampire room without a vorpal weapon..

I dont mean oh.. lets just boost the hp and damage of mobs.... but hey you need to work together to complete this..... the ability to block arrows for another toon is amazing... but you never need to use it....?
    The problem I see in this post is that it seems to describe a lot of not going into quests. To me it kind of defeats the point of playing if so many quests give a reason not to even go into them.

Community Member

Also I read this

http://www.umberhulk.com/umberhulk-third-edition.html
    Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Edition

Confusing Gaze (Su): Confusion as the spell, 30 feet, caster level 8th, Will DC 15 negates. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Umber hulks never fight to the death unless cornered (which is rare, since the creature can dig through stone). If hard pressed, an umber hulk won't hesitate to cause a cave-in (25% chance of success per round) and then dig his way to freedom.

Also this. I never seen them try to get away

Umber hulks never fight to the death unless cornered (which is rare, since the creature can dig through stone). If hard pressed, an umber hulk won't hesitate to cause a cave-in (25% chance of success per round) and then dig his way to freedom.
    Last edited by cmecu; 05-19-2016 at 09:32 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    Even back during that time the wait 2 hours for a cleric/bard was not needed and was an exaggeration. Sure a cleric made running quests a bit safer, but real tactics also helped to reduce in coming damage. Groups still could complete quests at the highest difficulty without them.

Today, there are even more classes with abilities to heal Artificer/Favored Soul/Druid.
    exaggeration?

I forgot some ppl here just run casual.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    Yes, ANYONE can come up with basic ideas. What takes time is translating those ideas to DDO, designing those systems, writing the code, testing, etc. Where does that development money come from? Designing a new system for 1 quest probably means less content overall. New systems ARE being introduced, just not for every quest.
    Not to mention that once the meta is learned those quests become even less challenging than brute DPS beat downs(except maybe to assemble the right party mix to even bother entering). While figuring out the solution is a good time, once found out all that development time no longer bringing any value. Better to make more quests than to make fewer that make Lama a better experience and are basically walk-throughs by the time they get to live servers (or soon after if one doesn't use spoilers).

exaggeration?

I forgot some ppl here just run casual.
    Well since casual didn't exist then, it was solo, normal, hard, elite

And you seem to miss the fact that I said on the highest difficulty with tactics. Where do you think body pulling, choke points, use of real stealth (not invisible and run) came from?

Each class has unique abilities that would allow them tactics from stunning, tripping, disabling and other such abilities.

Barbarians use to be the masters of Trip and Stun
    Fighters use to use abilities like SAP, trips and stuns
    Rogues use to be masters of stealth and pulling
    Rangers use to be masters of using body pull methods
    Wizard use to be the best crowd control
    Sorcerer could nuke rooms quickly

Bard gave the group a source of healing as well as crowd control (today very few respect Fascinate).
    Cleric gave the group a source of nuke/cc and party healing.

While we couldn't necessarily afford 100s of potions we still had trade-ins and potions as an options.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrande View Post
    I don't know which plane or planet you are from, but DDO starts out to be a group only game February 2006.
    The motto at that time was "Friends do not let friends solo".

It is the benevolent developers who later on allowed solo people to complete dungeons with dungeon scaling, easy self healing and healing hirelings.

Honestly, I think the pendulum has swung too far into the solo side and needs to swing back to the group territory for more balancing.
    It had nothing to do with the devs being benevolent. It to do with that paradigm doesn't work as well as they liked with an MMO. That works well with PnP static groups that get together on game night to play. Not so much in an MMO environment that really needs "rock soup" type content to allow players to play something while waiting for a group to form to run group content.

It shouldn't be looked at in terms of a pendulum swinging so much as not providing different types of content for different grouping situations. Solo (strictly solo only, could be general quests but tuned to solo play), rock soup (generic, likely wilderness area type content that one does while waiting for the group to form, best if it offers quick recovery once that happens), all welcome group (this is what most quest content should be)and balanced group (this could really be limited to raids and "extreme challenge" type quests). As each type should offer different types of challenges based around what they were designed to be.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast