Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Default Opening DDO Store Crashes The Game

If you are running an older operating system, opening the DDO Store will crash the game.
    So far, players have posted that this is effecting some Mac, Linux, WinXP and Win7 users.
    This has occured since approximately February 27th 2016 due to an unannounced change in the awesomium process.
    The only fix that has been supplied was a change to the minimum requirements, though calling this a fix is debatable.
    LOTR has posted that they have a solution to this problem, but no word yet on the DDO side of the hall.

The devs have not provided any update to this officially reported bug.
    Any player know of a workaround that does not involve buying a new operating system?

2015 DDO Players Council

This might be a tough one to track down the cause of. I'm running Win7 (x32), and I haven't been able to reproduce the problem. My wife is running Win 7 (x64), and likewise hasn't been able to crash the game with opening the store. Both of ours, it takes a little bit for the store to load in, but it doesn't kick us out to desktop or anything like that.

When you try to open the store, does it just close the game, or do you get an error message of some kind? And does it matter whether you're opening the store while in the worlds or at the character selection screen? And this might be a bit of a reach, but do you have anything that might be blocking or interfering with the Awesomium processes?

I wish I had more to offer.
    Last edited by Maquist; 03-31-2016 at 12:49 PM.

Microsoft no longer supports XP. DDO technically still runs just fine on XP.

It's just the store, which is based off the Awesomium code, which is a third-party product.

I'm not sure how much sway Turbine has telling a third-party to change their code to support an old unsupported operating system.

The only other solution on Turbine's side may be to revert the entire store back to an older version, or change vendors (will other third-party vendors support XP?). That seems a bit extreme.

Your best solution is to dual-boot Windows 10. Buy a SSD for $80, and a copy of Windows ($100?), and set up your current PC to dual-boot. You will notice huge improvements running DDO off a SSD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post

It's just the store, which is based off the Awesomium code, which is a third-party product.

I'm not sure how much sway Turbine has telling a third-party to change their code to support an old unsupported operating system.

The only other solution on Turbine's side may be to revert the entire store back to an older version, or change vendors (will other third-party vendors support XP?). That seems a bit extreme.

Your best solution is to dual-boot Windows 10. Buy a SSD for $80, and a copy of Windows ($100?), and set up your current PC to dual-boot. You will notice huge improvements running DDO off a SSD.
    LOTRO was having the same problem. At first the turbine solution on lotro forums was to announce turbine no longer supporting windows XP. After some backlash, they announced they were going to attempt to fix. Whether that fix was actually turbine or awesomium fixing, who knows or cares, a fix is a fix. A few days after that said announcement, lotro exec producer announced they had a fix for it working locally or something. Now on the lotro beta or test server for updates they put that fix. It works and allows the store to be once again used.

J-2 is just wanting confirmation from a "ddo" person that the fix will also fix "ddo" since awesomium is the same code for lotro/ddo store. Lack of communication is not better then no communication. If lotro exec producer can take 2 minutes out of her time to post and let her players know, I would have guessed the same could be done here, since many also don't have access to lotro forums.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maquist View Post
    This might be a tough one to track down the cause of. I'm running Win7 (x32), and I haven't been able to reproduce the problem. My wife is running Win 7 (x64), and likewise hasn't been able to crash the game with opening the store. Both of ours, it takes a little bit for the store to load in, but it doesn't kick us out to desktop or anything like that.

When you try to open the store, does it just close the game, or do you get an error message of some kind? And does it matter whether you're opening the store while in the worlds or at the character selection screen? And this might be a bit of a reach, but do you have anything that might be blocking or interfering with the Awesomium processes?

Once ctrl+s is pressed, the window for the store opens (blank), and then the game crashes to desktop with no error message. My client will go into an endless send loop at that point, which I have to kill through the task manager.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maquist View Post

Once ctrl+s is pressed, the window for the store opens (blank), and then the game crashes to desktop with no error message. My client will go into an endless send loop at that point, which I have to kill through the task manager.

With the limited amount of research I can do without peeking under the hood, the awesomium process either fails to invoke the webcore, or the default timings of 16ms on windows XP is too slow for the new 10ms timings of the awesomium process and operating systems beginning with vista. Either way, it is an incompatibility with awesomium and an older system so far as I can tell.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post

That is an option as discussed in a few other threads, but I'm not looking to start throwing money around.
    Im waiting for it to be an informed decision before I consider that option.
    Information seems to be very hard to come by regarding this problem.

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by J-2 View Post
    That is an option as discussed in a few other threads, but I'm not looking to start throwing money around.
    Im waiting for it to be an informed decision before I consider that option.
    Information seems to be very hard to come by regarding this problem.
    Sir your thread was moved to the appropriate location. Continuing to ask tech support related questions without actually putting it on the Tech support forum is the same as asking a break way to stop blocking the view. Continuing to open new threads in General Discussion not only will not help you, but multiple threads with the same topic is discussed in the Code of Conduct.
    The Great Gnome Conspiracy was here!

The original thread was moved to the tech-support forum, yet here you are creating another thread on the exact same topic! Why? At this point I believe you've received all the information available until such a time an update is made... both from DDO tech support and the LotRO forums.

If they manage to fix the issue under LotRO then I would expect it wouldn't be difficult for them to port the same fix to DDO. Yes, LotRO seems to have better communication with their players, but that doesn't mean the issue isn't being looked at... you've even been told as much by customer service, so be patient, it's not like they haven't had a lot of other higher priority issues with the data center move and lag to contend with.

And yes, we all know you've bought $500 worth of Turbine Points, and spent them, so go level yourself up and use some of that content while waiting for a fix to your WinXP woes.

On the thread that was moved you said it was 'disgusting' that a member of the player's council recommended the thread be moved... you might want to look at their title closer. They were on the 2015 council, not this years council.

Other than making a nuisance of yourself I don't really know what you are expecting by this constant posting? The CEO of Turbine to call you up personally?
    Oracle of Wisdom: When going to the Vale of Twilight bring Paralyzing weapons, everything there is vulnerable! -Samaka of Sarlona
    Drop Statistics for One Hundred Runs of Extended Haunted Halls (Mix of Epic Normal and Epic Hard difficulty)

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

You are right a Player Council member from 2015 asked to have it moved. Want to know why?
    1. Technical support is unable to read general discussion. Continue to post and discuss a technical issue is a fruitless undertaking that will result in no solution.
    2. Since you were never going to ask for it to be moved into the proper place on the forums to be helped, I decided to try to get the issued in front of the people that would be able to assist you.
    3. Cordovan could have elected to not move it if he did not agree with the request, given that the request was granted, you can draw your own conclusion.

Pray to God, that you never give a customer any cause to question or be angry with your work. Given how you have handled this situation, can only imagine that cluster that would follow.

You want to take offense to something I said or that was done, come at me bub.
    The Great Gnome Conspiracy was here!

Community Member

Thank you for your reply.

I certainly understand any frustration and would only note that the engineering teams are reviewing the issue currently and it may be addressed in a future update to the forums but currently it occurs due to the lack of specific replies regarding the Awesomium features of the game browser.

Thank you,
    J-2

Thank you for your reply.

I certainly understand any frustration and would only note that the engineering teams are reviewing the issue currently and it may be addressed in a future update to the forums but currently it occurs due to the lack of specific replies regarding the Awesomium features of the game browser.

Thank you,
    J-2
    Interesting reply. Give the client the impression it is being reviewed and may or may not be fixed and throws the 3rd party under the bus. A third party used in many of your existing products that you also deal with daily since they are the ones helping you facilitate purchases. You are right this is a very delicate situation. I'm all for asking about what is happening. But don't become that person that won't give them time between asking. It becomes Noise.

Community Member

Its my belief that 35 days has been long enough that a mere update on the topic is warranted and can be provided.
    LOTR addressed this weeks ago.

There is a subtle difference in the two threads.
    I'm now asking other players if they have found a workaround for this bug.
    Its likely one exists if LOTR has found one.

Quote Originally Posted by mudfud View Post
    LOTRO was having the same problem. At first the turbine solution on lotro forums was to announce turbine no longer supporting windows XP. After some backlash, they announced they were going to attempt to fix. Whether that fix was actually turbine or awesomium fixing, who knows or cares, a fix is a fix. A few days after that said announcement, lotro exec producer announced they had a fix for it working locally or something. Now on the lotro beta or test server for updates they put that fix. It works and allows the store to be once again used.

J-2 is just wanting confirmation from a "ddo" person that the fix will also fix "ddo" since awesomium is the same code for lotro/ddo store. Lack of communication is not better then no communication. If lotro exec producer can take 2 minutes out of her time to post and let her players know, I would have guessed the same could be done here, since many also don't have access to lotro forums.
    So much this^

//I am not even sure what motivates the self volunteered PR guys here to provide "clues" where its clear they arent offering but oil on the fire.

One would think it is the company's best interest to allow all players to purchase items. One would also think that if a crappy estore can be setup with "good enough" security in 15 minutes on a webhost - which is a cross platform solution- then a company of this magnitude can offer a fully web based solution in 1d3 months.
    Last edited by janave; 04-01-2016 at 12:23 AM.

C:\Program Files\Turbine\Dungeons & Dragons Online
    2015-06-21 01:08 PM 23,470,048 awesomium.dll
    2015-06-21 01:06 PM 40,416 awesomium_process.exe

awesomium.dll - version 1.7.4.2
    awesomium_process.exe - version 1.7.4.1

Note the versions and dates.

http://www.awesomium.com/blog/critical-patch-1-7-4-2/
    Posted March 31st, 2014

The version of Awesomium being used by DDO is exactly 2 years old.

Today, we’re announcing the end of Chrome’s support for Windows XP, as well as Windows Vista, and Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8, since these platforms are no longer actively supported by Microsoft and Apple. Starting April 2016, Chrome will continue to function on these platforms but will no longer receive updates and security fixes.
    https://chrome.googleblog.com/2015/1...m-support.html
    Posted Tuesday, November 10, 2015

The change has not been made in the Chromium source yet (a warning has been added though). The version of Awesomium that DDO is using is too old to even have this warning. And Chromium will still work on these platforms, they just wont get any more updates.

Therefore, the change in the in-game DDO store is not Awesomium. I can only conclude the change is in the XSolla javascript (which as I have mentioned before is absolutely absurd in volume and complexity and contains unsupported outdated js libs and unused cruft).

Note the store is still working for me on Vista, though it is an absolute pig for cpu use (the problem is the Xsolla javascript, not awesomium).
    Last edited by Knobull; 04-01-2016 at 01:12 AM.
    "... none but ourselves can free the mind." - Marcus Garvey, 1937

Community Member

Day 36. Opening the store while the game is running still crashes the game.
    Has any player found a workaround for this bug yet?

Day 36. Opening the store while the game is running still crashes the game.
    Has any player found a workaround for this bug yet?
    Just because you're now asking players for a workaround doesn't make this any less disingenuous.

It is rather obvious you have just recreated your original thread under a slightly different premise in order to skirt around the reason why the original thread was moved in the first place.
    Oracle of Wisdom: When going to the Vale of Twilight bring Paralyzing weapons, everything there is vulnerable! -Samaka of Sarlona
    Drop Statistics for One Hundred Runs of Extended Haunted Halls (Mix of Epic Normal and Epic Hard difficulty)

Any player know of a workaround that does not involve buying a new operating system?
    Your cheapest & easiest solution would be to pop over to a RL friend's place who is running the game on a bit more modern OS and log into the game/$tore from there.
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.
    Actual play experience is worth infinitely more than theorycrafting...

Community Member

I use to do that, though I'd log into a diff account.
    Not for store access, but just to play on khyber with other friends.
    Sadly, they all got ticked off over the last month, quit and uninstalled.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Knobull View Post
    C:\Program Files\Turbine\Dungeons & Dragons Online
    2015-06-21 01:08 PM 23,470,048 awesomium.dll
    2015-06-21 01:06 PM 40,416 awesomium_process.exe

awesomium.dll - version 1.7.4.2
    awesomium_process.exe - version 1.7.4.1

Note the versions and dates.

http://www.awesomium.com/blog/critical-patch-1-7-4-2/
    Posted March 31st, 2014

The version of Awesomium being used by DDO is exactly 2 years old.

https://chrome.googleblog.com/2015/1...m-support.html
    Posted Tuesday, November 10, 2015

The change has not been made in the Chromium source yet (a warning has been added though). The version of Awesomium that DDO is using is too old to even have this warning. And Chromium will still work on these platforms, they just wont get any more updates.

Therefore, the change in the in-game DDO store is not Awesomium. I can only conclude the change is in the XSolla javascript (which as I have mentioned before is absolutely absurd in volume and complexity and contains unsupported outdated js libs and unused cruft).

Note the store is still working for me on Vista, though it is an absolute pig for cpu use (the problem is the Xsolla javascript, not awesomium).
    The problem may be that it's *too* old. The latest version of Awesomium does, in fact, support XP, and has a bug fix for some certificate signing models. Check out Awesomium's web site

http://wiki.awesomium.net/changelogs...new-1-7-5.html

Bug Fixes
    Native Awesomium

Fixed crash on Windows XP when using Facebook Connect (and other sites with similar certificate signing modes).
    Not that I dispute that Xsolla is bloated garbage, but Awesomium might not choke on the bloat if they were using an up to date version.

And it's pretty funny that people are so viciously insisting Turbine shouldn't support XP because it is legacy and unsupported, when they are using a legacy version of Awesomium. I mean, if you're going to tell your customers they have to upgrade to the latest, shouldn't you practice what you preach?

Personally, I'd rather see them focus on fixing lag, but that's because I have 8 PCs that run DDO and switching to a Windows 7 or 10 one to make a purchase I really want isn't that big an inconvenience for me, while lag affects me on all of them. But the sheer bile with which some people are attacking J-2 for a justifiable frustration is something I find disgusting. This game is foundering on a rocky shore, driving off paying customers hardly seems in the game's best interest right now.
    I am profoundly disappointed with the current state and direction of DDO, and my purchasing habits reflect this. A drastic improvement in quality of life, transparency, and honest communication would improve my spending. Promises and "more squeeze" will not.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast